"Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes" Trailer Added

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

"Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes" Trailer Added

Post by Spartan »

A new Planet of the Apes related movie.

Taken from:

Code: Select all

http://chud.com/articles/articles/17231/1/SCOTT-FRANK-TELLS-CHUD-quotI039M-NOT-REMAKING-CONQUEST-OF-THE-PLANET-OF-THE-APESquot/Page1.html
For the last month I've been on the heels of a story that has excited me: Fox has been developing a new Planet of the Apes film, a prequel. There were a lot of rumors. We heard from sources close to Fox that the film (which we were told was called Planet of the Apes: Genesis or Genesis: Apes) was a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. It would tell the story of Caesar, the chimpanzee who led the apes in rebellion, conquering humanity and creating a planet where apes ruled and humans served.

As we learned this weekend, things have changed in the previous months. Fox is still excited about this property, and now they've put the film into the hands of writer/director Scott Frank. The film is now called Caesar. But what about the rest of the info? Was any of it true? If so, does it still apply now that Frank is on the project? I went to the source and this morning spoke to Scott Frank himself.

Caesar is not a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. This is a fact that Frank can't stress to you enough - his film will not feature talking monkeys, and it will not end with chimpanzees running wild in the streets, taking over the world. But it isn't entirely divorced from the world of Planet of the Apes, either. In fact, Frank sees his movie as the opening chapter in a saga that could span the thousand years between today and a world where apes rule.

What's most exciting about Caesar is that Frank is committed to telling a hard science fiction story. The science that creates a hyper-intelligent chimpanzee is based on current real world research - this film would just take that science one step further. He's also committed to telling a story based on character, not antic ape action. His plan for Caesar is one where you come to really feel for this ape, even as the final act sees him taking actions that may be hard for us to agree with.

But getting Caesar to be a real character on the page is just one of the challenges still facing Frank. He is right now just in the beginning phases of rewriting the script, and even if he is able to nail the story, he still has to figure out if he can bring Caesar to life on screen. Since he doesn't want to have people running around in monkey suits, Frank is doing lots of research into the state of effects today - can he create a photoreal chimpanzee (one who is facially modified by the genetic engineering that grants him his intelligence) who will be the main character for this film? Can he create a character who is completely expressive through his face, eyes, and gestures (including sign language) without speaking a word of dialogue?

Fox seems convinced Frank can make it work. Caesar excites the writer/director because it's something so outside of his wheelhouse*, but he's adamant that he wants to get it right, and he says that the studio feels the same way. This is a film that needs to be grounded in character and science, and then made to feel real. While we didn't get into details, what Frank told me made Caesar sound like it would also continue the Apes tradition of tackling social issues, something sorely lacking in Tim Burton's stillborn re-imagining.

Frank was audibly excited about the movie as he told me about it, but he was also very cautious to say that he wouldn't know if the film would be going ahead until at least February. It does sound like Fox is eager to get this franchise restarted, so I hope that Frank feels comfortable with his script and the FX, since I'd rather see a guy who can write (and direct, judging by the criminally underseen The Lookout) on this film than a guy whose commercial background convinces the suits he can shoot action that will look cool in a trailer.

As a lifelong fan of the Apes series, Frank's take on this material has me excited in a way that I wouldn't have thought possible. The great thing about each of the original Apes sequels is that they did something new and unexpected, and there are many elements in Frank's concept that fit right in that tradition. His story is one that will work as a standalone thriller, as a science fiction thinker and as the beginning of a larger, grander saga.

Hopefully Caesar will continue moving forward. If it does, expect us to be at the forefront of its evolution, bringing you all the latest news.

* Although it's worth noting that Frank has been involved in thoughtful scifi before, namely Minority Report.
I'm a big fan of the old Planet Of The Apes sequels (including Escape), and I wouldn't mind a re-imagining of Conquest, which was by far the most violent and brutal of the lot. Hopefully it's not a lackluster fuck up like Burton's take.
Last edited by Spartan on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

im sceptical
heres the thing... whats the point of the movie if there are no cave girls

they need to remake beneath the planet of the apes
thousands of apes crucified upside down was mindblowing
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yeah but half that movie focused on those telepathic skinless bomb worshipping emo muties that killed themselves the first sign of trouble. I would much prefer seeing Caesar and Co going buckwild with AK-47's and meat cleavers on those "lousy human bastards".

And if we're talking cave girls, Megan Fox would make a great Nova but that'll be for another movie.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

yeah ultimately they gotta move on to new concepts instead of doing remakes

yeah megan fox def looks like a cave slut
they might need some cg tho cause those hips have to be huge
it would probably be caesar's ultimate dream to have a harem of human women
1. Nas
2. Drake

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

This is sounding awesome.

http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/2 ... Page1.html
We've been following the story of Caesar, a prequel to Planet of the Apes, for almost two years now. We told you that Scott Frank was writing and directing the film, and then we brought you news that he was off the project. But Frank leaving Caesar didn't kill it dead - the project is alive and well, and in fact tonight Deadline reports that Fox has hired Rupert Wyatt, director of the little seen Sundance film The Escapist (no relation to Kavalier & Klay) to direct from a script by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver.

Now we have some details about the story of Caesar, which is currently called Caesar: Rise of the Apes, and about the tons of little nods to the original movie that Jaffa and Silver have put into their script. And about how it surprisingly ties directly into the original 1968 Planet of the Apes.

Be warned: there are spoilers that follow, although fans of the original five Apes movies will not be too surprised by much of what happens in this film.

Like Scott Frank's version, Caesar: Rise of the Apes is centered on genetic research. Will is a doctor trying to cure Alzheimers, a disease that afflicts his father. He's working with monkeys to create a benign virus that can get into brain tissue and restore functionality. After his research is shut down he's left with just one chimp, the child of his most promising subject, and Will raises him at home. Young Caesar is incredibly intelligent for an ape, and over time he continues to mutate and evolve, looking less like a chimp and moving on from sign language to actual speech. Eventually Caesar ends up leading an army of apes in an uprising just as a catastrophe strikes mankind.

Some points of interest:

- Caesar: Rise of the Apes is explicitly a prequel to the real Planet of the Apes. During the course of the script TV newscasts recount the launch of a space craft called the Icarus, led by a Colonel Taylor, which eventually disappears while going around the dark side of Mars. While these aren't the exact same situations from the original film, Planet of the Apes had Charlton Heston playing Colonel Taylor whose ship, the Icarus, crash lands on Earth in the distant future.

- The script opens with poachers capturing apes in the wild. The scene is structured to recall the apes capturing humans at the beginning of Planet of the Apes.

- Caesar's mother is named Bright Eyes, which is what Dr. Zira called Colonel Taylor in the original film.

- As Caesar changes his eyes become green; this reflects the green outfits worn by the chimps in Planet of the Apes.

- In Conquest of the Planet of the Apes Caesar led primitive apes in an uprising against man, and the biggest battle took place on a bridge. The same happens in Caesar: Rise of the Apes, except this time the bridge is the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

- There are other name homages. A female scientist is named Stewart, which was the name of the female Icarus crewmember. Dodge and Landon, also Icarus crewmembers in the original film, appear as names, but in very different roles than in Planet of the Apes. Dodge is a bad guy, in fact. There's a chimp named Cornelia, a play on Cornelius from the original film, a chimp named Franklin, a play on Apes director Franklin Schaffner, and an orangutan named Maurice, homaging Maurice Evans, who played Dr. Zaius.

- Dodge actually hoses Caesar down in a scene that recalls the 'It's a madhouse!' scene in Planet of the Apes.

- At one point Caesar is sent to a wild animal park and lives in a monkey house. There we see that the original film's social structure, where chimps, orangutans and gorillas have their own strata, is in place. Caesar manages to unite them all, though.

- By the end of the script humanity's downfall, which is tied to Caesar's origin, is in place. Caesar is presented as struggling for freedom, but he's unwilling to be violent. This makes the ending confused, as the other apes rampage while Caesar behaves non-violently.

- In the original Conquest of the Planet of the Apes Caesar makes the other apes leap forward evolutionarily just by existing. Here there's a more scientific explanation. Also, Caesar's slow mutation explains why the apes in Planet of the Apes are bigger than and look nothing like modern chimps, orangutans or gorillas.

- The ending is suitably bleak in a traditional Planet of the Apes way, while leaving a big opening for the next chapter.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Cheadle, Lithgow & Pinto.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/38157/ ... pes-caesar
Three more fairly big names have been linked to Rupert Wyatt's next entry into the Planet of the Apes franchise titled Planet of the Apes: Caesar, and hopefully they'll help the already announced participants erase the bad taste left in our mouths from Tim Burton's fiasco.

Variety confirms the story that originally appeared on Bloody Disgusting days ago that Slumdog Millionaire's Frida Pinto is in talks to assume the role of Caroline, a primatologist in the new film.

Variety also reports that John Lithgow is circling a role in the film that will find him playing lead James Franco's father while BD reports that Don Cheadle is checking out the flick for a role as well. Look for official confirmation(s) soon.

Set in present day San Francisco, Planet of the Apes: Caesar deals with the aftermath of man's experiments with genetic engineering that lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy. Franco will play a driven scientist who becomes a crucial figure in the war between humans and apes.

Filming starts next month for a June 24th, 2011 release.
This is shaping up nicely if it all works out.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Beneath the Planet of the Apes was a completely retarded.

This sounds like it could be pretty cool, the idea of a prequel is pretty great if they do it right. Still haven't gotten around to seeing Burton's Planet. I love Burton and I love the original so I'm not sure if I should even go there.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Beneath the Planet of the Apes was a completely retarded.

This sounds like it could be pretty cool, the idea of a prequel is pretty great if they do it right. Still haven't gotten around to seeing Burton's Planet. I love Burton and I love the original so I'm not sure if I should even go there.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but fucking mark wahlberg...god damn!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Trademark wrote:It's not the worst thing in the world, but fucking tim burton...god damn!
fixed.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

would've passable in teh dumb fun kind of way if it wasn't for the last shot that made absolutely no sense at all
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

The Burton movie was fucking terrible. That last shot made me want to rip his head off.

A couple months ago I bought the Legacy Collection Box Set and relived a ton of memories, as I fucking loved these movies as a kid.

Agreed on Beneath being awesome and worthy of a remake. Would be cool.

This story and cast look solid. Looking forward to this. Can't be worse than Burton's.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Looks like they've found their Caesar - Andy Serkis.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/an ... pes-reboot
Andy Serkis Set to Play Lead Ape in 'Planet of the Apes' Reboot
20th Century Fox has just announced Andy Serkis is set to play the role of Caesar, the chimp who leads the simian revolt in the studio's Planet of the Apes reboot Rise of the Apes.

Serkis is probably best known for using motion capture to portray Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy. This also marks his second turn as a simian after playing the title role in Jackson's King Kong. However, for anyone thinking he's compromising his career playing an endless stream of digital characters it's actually something he loves. Prior to the release of The Prestige in 2006 I asked him about it in an interview and he told me, "I am really, really devoted to developing a digital performance side of things because it has occupied a lot of my life recently." It seems he'll be getting yet another shot at it.

Serkis joins James Franco, John Lithgow and Freida Pinto in the upcoming film set to be directed by Rupert Wyatt (The Escapist) .

There's yet to be an official synopsis, but the film has been described as an origin story in the truest sense of the term. Set in present day San Francisco, the film is a reality-based cautionary tale, a science fiction/science fact blend, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy. Franco will play a driven scientist who becomes a crucial figure in the war between humans and apes. Oscar-winning VFX House WETA Digital (Avatar) has been brought aboard to render, for the first time ever in the film series, photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors.

Filming on the project begins on July 5 for a June 24, 2011 release.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

blastmaster wrote:The Burton movie was fucking terrible.
Exchange "The" for "quite a few." Dude's a talented set-designer, but outside of Big Fish, I haven't seen any heart or soul in his movies for years. Dude strikes me as the mainstreamed version of Wes Anderson.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

wow, serkis is pretty much perfect for that.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Enjoyed The Escapist, this has a pretty good cast also, might be watchable

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

And it just gets better.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-po ... apes-19171
Brian Cox is set to reunite with "The Escapist" director Rupert Wyatt for 20th Century Fox's "Rise of the Apes," an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap.

Cox is in final negotiations to play the villainous owner of a primate sanctuary who runs the facility without compassion for the animals that live there.

James Franco, Freida Pinto, John Lithgow and Andy Serkis star in the "Planet of the Apes" prequel that Wyatt is directing from a script by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa.

The writers will also produce with Chernin Entertainment's Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark.

Set in present day San Francisco, the origin story deals with the aftermath of man's experiments with genetic engineering that lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

A chimp named Caesar (Serkis) leads the uprising among the apes after having been raised by Lithgow and Franco's father-and-son scientist characters.

James Franco to Star in 'Planet of the Apes' Prequel

Andy Serkis to Lead 'Rise of the Apes'

Pinto plays a primatologist who helps Franco.

WETA digital is rendering photo-realistic apes for the first time in the franchise, as opposed to using costumed actors.

Cox recently starred in "The Good Heart" opposite his "L.I.E." co-star Paul Dano. He is currently filming "The Veteran" with Toby Kebbell, and will next appear in Summit's action-thriller "Red" this October. He is represented by IFA Talent Agency and Insight.

"Rise of the Apes" is scheduled to take over theaters on June 24, 2011..

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I'm cool with this.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Rise of the Apes has been pushed forward to a summer release now.

Leaked photo.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

A five second clip from the film, now titled Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes.

http://www.apeswillrise.com/ (no embedding code).

EDIT: Now on Youtube.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WQVqD9st7TA?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WQVqD9st7TA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

First trailer

<object width="600" height="256"><param name="movie" value="http://ictv-dread-ec.indieclicktv.com/p ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://ictv-dread-ec.indieclicktv.com/p ... player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="256"></embed></object>

Thun

Post by Thun »

Can't wait to read IthiKKKle's analysis.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

freida pinto!!!!

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

excellent, I love these movies!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

that looks awesome, better than expected

Dap

Post by Dap »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:freida pinto!!!!

:cheers:

she is so fucking beautiful

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

too many "of the's" in the title
does look dope though
too bad we know the ending already
1. Nas
2. Drake

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

my step dad is gonna start working on this in a few weeks, will let you know how it is.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I gotta be honest, I didnt give a shit at ALL about this, but I was bored and figured I'd watch the trailer

it kinda blew me away

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

second trailer.

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0Tj7v-vkzU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0Tj7v-vkzU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Does this take place in LA? I'm getting bad racial vibes, yo.