The Spirit

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

LameAim

The Spirit

Post by LameAim »

Saw this today. Terrible, terrible film. Could have easily lost 20 minutes. Only enjoyment I got was from Eva Mendez. The Wolverine trailer at the beginning also helped.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

heard this is an absolute bomb.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Yeah heard it was really really bad.

rooski

Post by rooski »

Disappointing, but not surprising to hear.

LameAim

Re: The Spirit

Post by LameAim »

LameAim wrote:Only enjoyment I got was from Eva Mendez.
Forgot to give thanks to Paz Vega's brief appearance as well.

Movie was about as bad as Alexander but it had more women to stare at and wasn't nearly as long - therefore it was automatically better. Still, run up in the theater sauced/blunted if you're gonna commit.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

they're promoting the shit out of this movie.

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

out of curiosity, what was bad about the movie?

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Kalistoga wrote:out of curiosity, what was bad about the movie?
I was looking forward to seeing it :owens:
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

ThaMexakin

Post by ThaMexakin »

movie looks so horrible from everything I have seen, the new trailers make me want to throw up in my mouth.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Kalistoga wrote:out of curiosity, what was bad about the movie?
The dialogue and pacing do a lot of the heavy lifting. There is just too much time and weight given to some unnecessary/truly shitty conversations in the film and the whole thing just moves much too slow as a result. I can't think of one scene in the film that couldn't have lost at least 10 lines of dialogue and associated "dramatic" pauses, if not more. The first fight between The Octopus and The Spirit is a perfect example of this... I didn't clock it or anything but it seriously feels like it runs 10-12 minutes long. That is 12 minutes of punch/line/punch/pause/line/chuckle/lunge/line/pause from people who are not Jet Li.

What else? The film tries to be dramatic and fails horribly. A couple of the comedic stabs work but many fall short; most of my laughs were from a friend's comment or out of sheer disbelief more than anything.

Definitely too much reliance on the art style to keep people entertained, especially after we've seen most of these tricks used to greater effect in Sin City. The plot advances like an afterthought after all of this mess.

Like I said before, Mendez (and Vega for a little while) are really the only sources of enjoyment for me in the movie. I'd include Scarlett but she's wearing too much (please stop casting Scarlett for roles involving clothes.) Mendez gets an unexpected ass shot and it's the only moment in the film that didn't last long enough.

Also on the plus side, at least I can die now knowing what Samuel L. Jackson looks like in a Nazi uniform. He is gonna hit Rob Schneider/Eugene Levy status if he keeps taking every job offered to him.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

LameAim wrote: Also on the plus side, at least I can die now knowing what Samuel L. Jackson looks like in a Nazi uniform. He is gonna hit Rob Schneider/Eugene Levy status if he keeps taking every job offered to him.
Pretty sure he has been doing this for the past ten to fifteen years

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

Yeah, Samuel L. except for maybe a handful of roles, has been cashing in for the past 20 years.

Spirit was awful. I can't believe i turned down watching a reliable team of Pitt/Fincher for this crap. The only things that were interesting were the hot chicks and the scenes that included Samuel L/Scarlett. Everything else fell far short of the mark. Oh yeah, the father from the wonder years.

Extremely slow. Extremely uninteresting. Drab performances from everyone except maybe 2-3 people. and the movie was just incredibly soulless. This is what you get when a movie is all style and has extremely little substance.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Frank Miller watched Robert Rodriquez direct and by proxy thought he could as well. He took the same formula injected an even more famous comic character into the mix and thought he had a recipe for success. How he missed with the Spirit what he had done himself with the plotting and writing of Sin City is beyond me.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

LameAim wrote:
LameAim wrote:Paz Vega
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :cheers:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
LameAim wrote: Also on the plus side, at least I can die now knowing what Samuel L. Jackson looks like in a Nazi uniform. He is gonna hit Rob Schneider/Eugene Levy status if he keeps taking every job offered to him.
Pretty sure he has been doing this for the past ten to fifteen years
yeah.

he's been pretty much the best/worst actor in Hollywood since that shameful fucking Tarantino atrocity called Jackie Brown.

he'll be a decent Nick Fury in the Avengers movie, but he'll fuck it up by starring in some lame ass buddy comedy 3 months before it drops.

Oscar wont call
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:shameful fucking Tarantino atrocity called Jackie Brown.

l

WHAT?

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

jackie brown was awesome wtf

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
LameAim wrote:
LameAim wrote:Paz Vega
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :cheers:
what is she from and where do i have to trade my left nut to have sex with her?

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:shameful fucking Tarantino atrocity called Jackie Brown.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

the R

Post by the R »

AWAE wrote:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
great movie man wtf

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

:pause: :naswtf:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

ric

Post by ric »

ardamus wrote:

:pause: :naswtf: :larry:
what the hell mindbender?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Wait, you guys are surprised that Mindbender has horrible taste and opinions?

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

If I remember correctly he doesnt like Jackie Brown, or any Tarantino movie, because they're racist.

mb, confirm/deny
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB