Revisiting The Wire

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Revisiting The Wire

Post by Philaflava »

I don't need to say what most of you should already know, but god damn this is the greatest piece of television that I've ever seen.

It didn't lose any of its replay value. I'm still on the edge of my seat during some scenes that I already know the outcome too. You definitely catch things or even appreciate them more if you revisit this a few years later.

Still can't believe I slept on this show at first.

dat piff

Post by dat piff »

The Wire is definitely the best show HBO ever put out.. I found it during it's 3rd season when it aired.. Watched that Season then went back and grabbed Season 1 and 2 and watched them.. shit was still perfect.. Sucks they decided to end it, I could have watched season after season of that shit..
ImageImageImage

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

excellent show. lots of reply value

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

The reason why the second season is one of my favorites is because I watched it again. When you're over the fact that the Wire took a left turn in that season and view it for what is it's excellent.

The third season, which was initially my least favorite season, got better on a second viewing too. The Hamsterdam subplot still bothers me though, but that season has some of the best Stringer and Avon moments.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

^ What bothers you about the Hamsterdam subplot?

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

the hamsterdam subplot is fucking great.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Season 3 is my favorite. I loved the Hamsterdam plot too.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i burned an extra hole in these dvds from watching them so much
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i personally like season 4 the best, but i would say that all 5 seasons are amazing, especially when you look at it as a tail of a decaying american city, and i guess a story that could be told in any number of american cities that were prosperous during the manufacturing boom, but in the years since have not been able to keep up and are horribly run.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Icesickle wrote:The reason why the second season is one of my favorites is because I watched it again. When you're over the fact that the Wire took a left turn in that season and view it for what is it's excellent.
I've watched the entire series several times now and season 2 is still my least favorite by a pretty large margin. I just don't care for the dock characters as much as the the major players from the other seasons. The Sobotka's just aren't that compelling when put up against the rest of the series.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Also for the record, I always flip-flop between season 3 and 4 as my favorite, probably lean more towards 4.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Icesickle wrote:The reason why the second season is one of my favorites is because I watched it again. When you're over the fact that the Wire took a left turn in that season and view it for what is it's excellent.
I've watched the entire series several times now and season 2 is still my least favorite by a pretty large margin. I just don't care for the dock characters as much as the the major players from the other seasons. The Sobotka's just aren't that compelling when put up against the rest of the series.
They might not be as compelling, but they're easier for a rural suburban longboarder from white trash industrial town Pennsylvania stock to relate to than any other criminal in the series aside from D'Angelo. (Aside from Magneto how many people on here know someone like Wee Bay, Marlo, or Stringer Bell?) I also think it does a great job of showing how easy it is to be lured into a life a crime, that is how it starts with seemingly innocous, albeit illegal, "jobs" like intentionally letting a crate slip by your watch and then snowballs into something more serious as your compromised moral compass just keeps on readjusting itself. Finally, Ziggy's downward spiral is hilariously tragic and McNulty crashing a car to a Pogues song and raiding the whorehouse is :lol: .

Season Four is probably my favorite season overall though.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

i agree with everything tommy has said in this thread.
season 2 was the least interesting to me by far. still dope, but i never feel like re-watching episodes. seasons 3/4 are amazing.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Been watching these for the first time recently, largely due to how fanatical fans of this show are- "best TV ever" etc.

Liked Season 1 OK. There are some great characters- Avon, Stringer, Lester, Bunk, Omar. But the rest are straight from central casting/standard cop show fare at best.

Almost done with Season 2 now. Pretty much think it sucks. The longshoremen characters are just retarded cartoons.

I've heard it picks up again in Season 3, so I'll probably stick with it a little longer.

All in all, I'd say it's a quality cop show. Pretty much on the level with early Law & Order or something along those lines. The how-they-build-a-case element is cool, but there is a lot of run of the mill writing to counterbalance it.

To me, putting it on the level of the Sopranos or calling it the best TV show ever is laughable.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If you didn't think Season 1 was more than just "OK" then I don't know if your thoughts are going to change much. I mean, you definitely should give 3 and 4 a shot.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:All in all, I'd say it's a quality cop show. Pretty much on the level with early Law & Order or something along those lines.
:larry:

the most immediate/obvious difference between the wire & nearly every other cop show ever is that it has a clear point of view/conscious/social agenda. not to mention the realism.. and even if there's an element of "watch as david simon now takes on the ______", it could never be called predictable or formulaic

season 4 is also my fave season

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Pretty much on the level with early Law & Order or something along those lines.
:roll: :roll:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

everybody is gonna be so mad at mt1

with good cause though, cause he obviously rapes puppies

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

After Breaking Bad finished, I needed something to watch, so right now I'm in the process of rewatching The Wire. I'm near the end of Season 3 right now. Back a year or so ago I might have said I liked Season 1 and 3 the best, but after rewatching it again, I really think Season 2 is equally strong. Especially the early episodes.
Simon described the second season as:

"a meditation on the death of work and the betrayal of the American working class.ג€¦t is a deliberate argument that unencumbered capitalism is not a substitute for social policy; that on its own, without a social compact , raw capitalism is destined to serve the few at the expense of the many."

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Brougham33 wrote:After Breaking Bad finished, I needed something to watch, so right now I'm in the process of rewatching The Wire. I'm near the end of Season 3 right now. Back a year or so ago I might have said I liked Season 1 and 3 the best, but after rewatching it again, I really think Season 2 is equally strong. Especially the early episodes.
I'm about to do another Wire marathon. Season 2 is dope as fuck.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

kato

Post by kato »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Been watching these for the first time recently, largely due to how fanatical fans of this show are- "best TV ever" etc.

Liked Season 1 OK. There are some great characters- Avon, Stringer, Lester, Bunk, Omar. But the rest are straight from central casting/standard cop show fare at best.

Almost done with Season 2 now. Pretty much think it sucks. The longshoremen characters are just retarded cartoons.

I've heard it picks up again in Season 3, so I'll probably stick with it a little longer.

All in all, I'd say it's a quality cop show. Pretty much on the level with early Law & Order or something along those lines. The how-they-build-a-case element is cool, but there is a lot of run of the mill writing to counterbalance it.

To me, putting it on the level of the Sopranos or calling it the best TV show ever is laughable.
you're a jerk.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I spent the last week watching Seasons 3-5. Now I'll go back to 1 and 2.

As for replay value, I can see myself doing this every few years like the Godfather series.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

It's cool to have contrary views on The Wire.

The hype it gets would put me off too though to be honest. I'm going to rewatch it at some point, have only recently finished season 5 though so not for a while.

I still rate The Sopranos above it, as I prefer tv I don't need to engage my brain for, and something with an element of (black) comedy.

And I can definitely relate to the characters as some of my best friends are coloureds

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Y@k Bollocks wrote: and something with an element of (black) comedy.
tons of shit like this in the wire

if you can't laugh at mcnulty or with omar and bunk i don't know what to tell you

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Season 4 is also my favourite.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

drizzle wrote:
Y@k Bollocks wrote: and something with an element of (black) comedy.
tons of shit like this in the wire

if you can't laugh at mcnulty or with omar and bunk i don't know what to tell you
the sopranos is about 100 times more funny tho

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^^ not an outlandish opinion by any means but a wild hyperbole none the less

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i guess. but it probably is 10 times more funny in all honesty

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

seen the first 3 seasons.

season 2 is my least favorite, but still not a BAD season, per se.

love the wire.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

still haven't watched this show because i'm scared it won't live up to the hype...(that and a lot of the torrent links i found the first time i tried to dl were janky).