Book of Eli Trailer (dir Hughes Brothers, w Denzel/Oldman)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Saw it last night. Loved it. Great fuckin movie.

Mila Kunis is so fuckin sexy.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

TheEnglishProfessorGuy
Extortionist

Post by TheEnglishProfessorGuy »

EXCELLENT MOVIE! I will be purchasing the day it comes out.

varick pyr

Post by varick pyr »

loved the flick. religious aspect was well-done. after it, spent an hour w/ the crew trying to name Denzel flicks we didn't like. could only think of the Preacher's Wife.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

varick pyr wrote:loved the flick. religious aspect was well-done. after it, spent an hour w/ the crew trying to name Denzel flicks we didn't like. could only think of the Preacher's Wife.
So you liked "Carbon Copy"?????

varick pyr

Post by varick pyr »

Cash Rulz wrote:
varick pyr wrote:loved the flick. religious aspect was well-done. after it, spent an hour w/ the crew trying to name Denzel flicks we didn't like. could only think of the Preacher's Wife.
So you liked "Carbon Copy"?????
ain't seen it. looking at the filmography, haven't seen anything he's been in pre-Power.

Naysayer

Post by Naysayer »

^Ricochet was ass.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Naysayer wrote:^Ricochet was ass.
:fail:
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Naysayer

Post by Naysayer »

[SPOILERS KINDA]

I guess Eli is decent if you can suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy it. I couldn't. Little niggling shit kept bugging me. Like, how come a handful of apocalypse survivors were able to track down all but one copy of the most popular book ever and burn em'? Why did Oldman's character need the Bible to cement his control over the remnants of humanity in the first place? Dude needed the Bible to do this? Really? He couldn't have just cribbed some verses from the Koran or some other religious text and called it a day, he had to have Bible to rule? Right. Because no other religion has ever been able to state its case in a persuasive enough manner to win converts. Eh. I don't know, man. This was a renter for me.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Naysayer wrote:[SPOILERS KINDA]

I guess Eli is decent if you can suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy it. I couldn't. Little niggling shit kept bugging me. Like, how come a handful of apocalypse survivors were able to track down all but one copy of the most popular book ever and burn em'?
From what I remember this was universally done after the war. Not necessarily by the handful that we saw in the movie because we never saw the place where Eli actually came from. In the making of the movie its aluded to that he's from a big city in the east.
Naysayer wrote:Why did Oldman's character need the Bible to cement his control over the remnants of humanity in the first place? Dude needed the Bible to do this? Really? He couldn't have just cribbed some verses from the Koran or some other religious text and called it a day, he had to have Bible to rule?
What other religion outside of Christianity had spread as quickly??? Plus one can use the Bible the way it has been used as means to justify current suffering at the hands of oppressors because of a promised afterlife.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

eeeeehhhhhhhhhh what about that ending though?

dope movie for sure, but they really went off the deep end with that shit.

Naysayer

Post by Naysayer »

Cash Rulz wrote:From what I remember this was universally done after the war. Not necessarily by the handful that we saw in the movie because we never saw the place where Eli actually came from. In the making of the movie its aluded to that he's from a big city in the east.
I canג€™t see a bunch of people deciding to work together to burn books in the aftermath of a war so destructive that mankind is reduced to the level of barbarism depicted in the film. Nah, there are a shitload of Bibles man; it's highly unlikely that a group of people could track down and burn literally millions of Bibles.

Cash Rulz wrote:What other religion outside of Christianity had spread as quickly??? Plus one can use the Bible the way it has been used as means to justify current suffering at the hands of oppressors because of a promised afterlife.
Dude, this is a post-apocalyptic wasteland weג€™re talking about hereג€”what religion is top dog in real life is totally irrelevant. Even if it werenג€™t we canג€™t ignore Islam, Hinduism, and other particularly prolific religions as worthy substitutes for Christianity in the movie... especially if the promise of an afterlife is all thatג€™s needed to ג€œjustify current sufferingג€ and subjugate people, like youג€™re suggesting. For real for real, the argument could be made that Islam would be a superior choice since you get complete subservience and kamikaze foot soldiers all for the price of one ideology. Itג€™s a twofer.

Naysayer

Post by Naysayer »

Not necessarily by the handful that we saw in the movie because we never saw the place where Eli actually came from. In the making of the movie its aluded to that he's from a big city in the east.
Even still, I don't think there's warrant for assuming that the city Eli came from was capable of orchestrating a mass book burning so effective that it rid the whole of U.S., or part of it, of crazy Bibles given the state of civilization.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

^ Shut up faggot. Stop nit picking like a homo. It was a dope movie.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PO6Rknx5xyI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PO6Rknx5xyI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Naysayer

Post by Naysayer »

I didn't say it wasn't entertaining. It was a decent enough flick, but that still doesn't change the fact that it had "Signs" level plot holes. Now stfu and go back to siphoning moob milk you dick-tucking anal polyp.

uxpsi

Post by uxpsi »

*SPOILER KINDA*

Wow, I agree with Naysayer but the points you presented were poorly chosen and the fact you guys didn't catch any of the huge holes in the movie makes me sad. It still was an enjoyable movie.

Here's a huge hole in the movie

When they are having the shootout inside the Cannibals house; the objective for Gary Oldman is to retrieve his book. With the knowledge that the book is on the person of Denzel while he is in the house he allows for them to open fire on the house and on top of that lets his henchman fire a rocket into the house and use a gattling gun on it with no regard. This is also a big problem because the aforementioned guy that shoots the rocket is only working for Gary Oldman so he can marry the girl who he can reasonably assume is also in the house.

uxpsi

Post by uxpsi »

also the shit with checking "the hands" goes nowhere or did I miss something?

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

uxpsi wrote:also the shit with checking "the hands" goes nowhere or did I miss something?
the people who ate human meat got these shakes. so it was a way to find out if newcomers to the town were extra savage or not.

the 2 old people were human eaters, which is why they tried to get out of there as soon as possible.

uxpsi

Post by uxpsi »

Balzac you are the man

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

saw this tonight. enjoyed it. def thought the ending was cheese though. mila kunis was also miscast, despite being hot.