Prometheus (Dir Riddley Scott) (SPOILERS!!!)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Prometheus (Dir Riddley Scott) (SPOILERS!!!)

Post by drizzle »

FINGERS CROSSED

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... id=13&cs=1

Twentieth Century Fox is resuscitating its "Alien" franchise. The studio has hired Jon Spaihts to write a prequel that has Ridley Scott attached to return as director.

Spaihts got the job after pitching the studio and Scott Free, which will produce the film.

The film is set up to be a prequel to the groundbreaking 1979 film that Scott directed. It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

The deal gives Fox another chance to keep the "Alien" franchise alive. There were three sequels to Scott's original, but it is the first time the director has set his mind on directing one.

Spaihts has become a go-to-guy for space thrillers. After Keanu Reeves became attached to his Warner Bros. sci-fi script "Shadow 19," Reeves hired Spaihts to write the space journey epic "Passengers," which is berthed at Morgan Creek. That script got Spaihts the meeting with Fox and Scott Free, and he won the job with an "Alien" reboot take that the studio and Scott loved.

Fox has separately hired him to rewrite "The Darkest Hour," which Timur Bekmambetov to produce with Tom Jacobson. Spaihts is writing "Children of Mars" for Disney and Scott Rudin, and he will follow by rewriting "St. George and the Dragon" for Sony and Red Wagon.
Last edited by drizzle on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

dammit while the first one was good i don't want some more anti capitalist pro worker bullshit again, I much preferred cameron's ode to patriotism that was Aliens
UBM CD COMING SOON

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i think it's safe to say those days are behind everybody

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Awesome. We had a thread on this a while ago, but a different director was attached to the movie. This is good news.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Must be one heck of a paycheck, enough to get his brother's Unstoppable back on track?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

There's a recent Sigourney Weaver interview where she gives the project a thumbs up and slagging off the AvP movies.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Spartan wrote:There's a recent Sigourney Weaver interview where she gives the project a thumbs up and slagging off the AvP movies.
is she gonna play teh alien in this one?

ZZZZZZZZZING

Dap

Post by Dap »

the alien franchise has been one of my favorites since i was a kid. no idea how this will turn out but i have my fingers crossed for damn sure

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle wrote:
Spartan wrote:There's a recent Sigourney Weaver interview where she gives the project a thumbs up and slagging off the AvP movies.
is she gonna play teh alien in this one?

ZZZZZZZZZING

I'll try and find that interview.

The gif in your sig drives my comp crazy by the way. No idea why.

citizen

Post by citizen »

LOL at dissing avp movies, she probably was hoping for a ripley vs predator spin-off where she could challenge the predators to a game of basketball

ric

Post by ric »

:lol: @ citizen. seriously. that shit was retarded.
im glad scott free is going to be involved. its not like they can do no wrong but they do it pretty fucking consistently

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

This might be old news to some, but it's worth posting.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... elofs.html
Vulture just got word: Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof turned in his new draft of the screenplay for Ridley Scott's Alien prequel on Saturday, and 20th Century Fox execs are very pleased with it indeed! Weג€™re told all involved parties have been made to sign nondisclosure agreements about the plot, but our spies have been able to glean several interesting nuggets about the project, which is set roughly 35 years before Scottג€™s dystopic classic . Here's what we know ...

One reason Fox execs are so thrilled with Lindelofג€™s Alien draft is that not only is it creatively engaging, but it adds no expensive "set pieces" ג€” production-speak for elaborate, effects-heavy action sequences that add millions to the cost of a film ג€” to the movie. 20th Century Fox and Scott have been wrangling over the directorג€™s proposed budget. One insider familiar with the situation puts Scottג€™s suggested budget at between $150 million and $160 million; Fox obviously, would like that number to shrink. Still, this is some good news for Fox, which has almost nothing resembling a blockbuster in the hopper for the summer of 2012, and could certainly stand to reinvigorate a wildly popular multi-part sci-fi franchise.

A parade of actresses have met with Scott (who's being represented in these negotiations by his longtime WME agent George Freeman) to discuss the lead role ג€” that of a female Colonial Marine general ג€” but only two have engendered substantial enthusiasm from both Fox brass and Scott Free, the directorג€™s Fox-based production company: Vulture can report exclusively that at the top of the list is Natalie Portman. (She recently detached herself from the adaptation of Seth Grahame-Smithג€™s Pride and Prejudice and Zombies at Lionsgate Films out of concern that she was now too old to play the part of Jane Austenג€™s Elizabeth Bennet. Portman turns 30 next June; Bennet is only 20 in both Austen and Grahame-Smithג€™s versions of Pride.) Right behind Portman is the already-reported Noomi Rapace, star of the Swedish The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Donג€™t take Scottג€™s recent interview with The Independent ג€” in which he claims that the Alien prequel would be ג€œreally tough, really nastyג€ ג€” to mean this is automatically going to be an R picture: Weג€™re told another reason Fox execs are pleased with Lindelofג€™s rewrite of original screenwriter Jon Spaihtsג€™ script is that it's still aimed at a more accessible PG-13 rating. "The thinking," explains one insider, "is that if the original Alien were released today, minus the F-bombs, you could still get a PG-13. Alien is a very Jaws-ian movie: Thereג€™s no sex, and while thereג€™s lots of violence, most of it is off-camera. Maybe youג€™d have to cut away from certain scenes two seconds earlier, but it could be done."

The prequel still lacks a proper name. Untitled Alien Prequel hardly comes trippingly off the tongue, but while several titles are being bandied about, none have unanimous support of Fox and Scott.

Itג€™s not in any way a reboot of Alien or the Aliens franchise; itג€™s really meant to be viewed as Scottג€™s second Alien movie. What's more, no Predator creatures appear anywhere within the film. Despite Foxג€™s efforts to mate the two sci-fi icons (sci-ficons?), Scottג€™s camp sees the two franchises as hailing from distinct genres that will not co-mingle, synergy be damned. ג€œThe later Aliens movies were action movies, but the original Alien was a horror-suspense film," explains one spy. "This returns the franchise to its roots."

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

dragon tatoo girl would be a better fit than portman

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

they can't fucking make an alien movie thats pg-fucking-13.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Fox's 'Alien' Prequel Dead, 'Prometheus' Rises
1/14/2011 by Borys Kit

The Alien prequel is dead and a new Ridley Scott project has been reborn.

Fox has announced that instead of making a much-talked about Alien movie, the project has been reconfigured as an original sci-fi movie, titled Prometheus, with Scott still at the helm and with Noomi Rapace to star.

Showing how serious it is about the movie, Fox has set a March 9, 2012 release date.

Damon Lindelof is working together with Scott on the new script, which was originally written by Jon Spaihts and based on an idea by Scott. It was under Lindelof that the project morphed into something more original.

ג€œWhile Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place,ג€ said Scott in a statement. ג€œThe keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.ג€

"In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots,ג€ stated Lindelof. ג€œI was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects.ג€

Fox and Scott have been working on an Alien prequel for the last two years and began reading and testing actors for the project late last summer. Rapace, best known for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, was on the list of actors that also included Gemma Arteron, Charlize Theron, Michelle Yeoh, Michael Fassbender and James Franco, all of whom swirled around it in various forms. Time will tell which ones will stick with it, although both Fassbender and Theron were being seriously considered for Universalג€™s Snow White project.

Prometheus is actually a bold move for Fox as it means leaving behind a project that has a strong brand and legacy behind it. Youג€™ve got to wonder what kind of conversations Scott had with the studio to persuade them to go with it.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

That sounds better to me than another movie set in the Alien Universe. Shame we can't have both though.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:dammit while the first one was good i don't want some more anti capitalist pro worker bullshit again, I much preferred cameron's ode to patriotism that was Aliens
quotes for troof
UBM CD COMING SOON

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

not much info on the new movie but props on making a new ip. there's no way to recreate the suspense of the original alien movie staying in the og universe. it's scary cause they don't know what they're dealing with.

tweak dude aliens is not an ode to patriotism. it's naam and the marines get fucked.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Patches O'Houlihan

Post by Patches O'Houlihan »

I really have no idea what to make of this now, I was really siked for a ridley/alien but I will take this as well. This is def one of those movies I cant wait to see though, at least a trailer would be amazing. Besides Batman 3 and Star Trek 2 this is my most anticipated release for the next 2 years.
A new era has begun and it goes by the numbers 1,3,6

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/45320/ ... nally-here
What is Prometheus? The Answer is Finally Here!

Questions abound regarding Ridley Scott's upcoming could-be-an-Alien-prequel, Prometheus. Will it have aliens? Will it tie in to the other Alien films? Just what the hell is it? Well, some answers have finally come.

According to Scott in a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter from CineEurope, the film's title is the name of a spaceship sent from earth by an all-powerful corporation of the kind familiar to fans of the Alien franchise. The mythical reference -- in Greek mythology Prometheus stole fire from the gods to give to man -- is deliberate. "The (space) journey, metaphorically, is about a challenge to the gods," Scott said.

Okay, so Prometheus is the name of the ship, but is it an Alien movie? Scott acknowledged that Prometheus, while not a direct prequel to Alien, occupies the same general universe, saying the picture was inspired by a desire to explore the mystery of the "space jockey", the giant fossilized creature with the burst-open chest seen in the first Alien movie but never explained.

Star Michael Fassbender was also on hand at CineEurope, and he hinted that his character, David, might be a version of the infamous corporate-designed android that plays a pivotal role in all Alien films.

So what have we learned? Like always, not a whole lot. Prometheus stars Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace, Guy Pearce, and Michael Fassbender. Look for it in theaters on June 8th, 2012.
If you don't know, now you know.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

lol so it is a aliens prequel now

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8t_Hnuqafo

i have a feeling that giant head is going to bring everythign tie teh room together liek lebowski's rug

am i crazy, but wasn't there a giant head in the original alien too?

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

^That preview looks interesting. I just hope they keep it simple, original and claustrophobic like the original but not try to copy the original directly either. Sigourney and Ridley discuss the idea of a prequel briefly if you listen to the DVD commentary of Alien.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

preview looks cool. alien has aged well; it doesn't need remaking, and from the looks of the preview it looks like they're doing something a little different.

i'm not a big fan of continuity between plots of different movies. if they explain where the aliens came from it will retroactively ruin the series for me.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Alien does not need a prequel. It was amazing that they milked 4 good movies from it in the first place, there's no need to add a fifth that's really the first.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle what is this giant head you are referring to? I don't see a giant head in the preview?

Also you might want to rename this thread now so as to not confuse the little people

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

good call on thread name

this is the head

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Another teaser before Thursday's proper trailer.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vD7Z-CTbbKk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vD7Z-CTbbKk?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I have a good feeling about this, contrary to the The Thing prequel.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I am pretty pumped for this.