Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

No embedded link yet.

Looks really cool

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

:killacam: :ohsh: :killacam: :ohsh:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

some of the cgi looks kinda shitty, but otherwise i'm with it
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

another one, watch quick cause it'll probably go down really fast

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYBRFJ9RArc&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYBRFJ9RArc&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

:rofl:

That's the one I almost linked to here

mishk

Post by mishk »

movie looks incredible I saw the 15 min preview today and the cgi/3d is out of this world, incredibly realistic I aint seen nothing like this. the 3d is so real and solid you feel like you can reach out put it in your mouth and eat it!

<object width="450" height="256"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13413"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13413" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="256" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

drizzle wrote:some of the cgi looks kinda shitty, but otherwise i'm with it

yeah hopefully that gets cleaned up...The first shot of the creature in the tube, the bamboo shafts(nh) and the monster in the forest look like cartoons....The Mechwarriors andeverything else look amazing....This could be bad fucking ass.....It won't be rated r though will it?

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

this movie looks like a fern gully sequel. gay fantasy crap.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

intuition wrote:this movie looks like a fern gully sequel. gay fantasy crap.

I don't remember mechwarriors battling giant blue pitbulls and brontosaurusus pulling marines out of hovercopters in fern gully...will re-check.....

boogie shoes

Post by boogie shoes »

the designs in this movie look like video games from the last few years and like drizzle mentioned the cg isnt that dope. maybe it will be good but they are really hyping this thing up.
I'm a one man soldier.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i have a feeling this will look better on the big screen with proper 3d, but ultimately wont translate well to any kind of home viewing

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I thought the cq looked like shit when i watched it in regular definition, but then I watched it in HD and the cg looks pretty fucking good.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Ok, so this and then Last Airbender. Pick an Avatar folks. just one.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Trademark wrote:

I don't remember mechwarriors battling giant blue pitbulls and brontosaurusus pulling marines out of hovercopters in fern gully...will re-check.....

OH SNAP...that is why they call it fern GULLY! :sherlock: Thanks Intuition.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Trademark wrote:
Trademark wrote:

you needed two responses to try and get 1 laugh?

i'm just saying, for all the hype i've heard about avatar, the trailer looks really lame to me.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Trademark wrote:
Trademark wrote:

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/67/173995536_5e1ca7002d_o.jpg[/img] wrote: some of ya'll talking gully must be talking 'bout ferngully

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

yeah, yikes, this looks fairly stupid

still seeing it obviously but :stick:

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

intuition wrote:
Trademark wrote:
Trademark wrote:

you needed two responses to try and get 1 laugh?

i'm just saying, for all the hype i've heard about avatar, the trailer looks really lame to me.

STFU you needed to turn 30 to be a mediocre success at hip hop lick my balls. I was actually surfin another thread and someone said something about getting gully and I thought "OH SNAP".....just like the post said...

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

i'm not 30 yet baroness, and i'm certainly not any sort of success. i resent those statements.

movie still looks pretty gay.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Looks like Fern Gully which is a great thing.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

it looks decently ill
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patches O'Houlihan

Post by Patches O'Houlihan »

its james cameron who cares, just watch it
A new era has begun and it goes by the numbers 1,3,6

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

new trailer, can't embed

http://screenrant.com/international-tra ... rob-32482/

looks a lot more fun than the first, i feel pretty confident in cameron's ability to do scifi action

Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Exactly.

I was so hyped for this after all the fucking chat in the press and this is what we get?

For fuck's sake.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

so...what happened to the boy blowing out candles with the fancy kung fu moves?
is that a completely different movie?
shit looks like some bullshit.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

"This video is not available in your location"

So much for globalization.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Da gawd Ebert speaks:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /912119998

BY ROGER EBERT / December 11, 2009

20th Century Fox presents film written and directed by James Cameron. Running time: 163 minutes. MPAA rating: PG-13 (for intense epic battle sequences and warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking).

Watching "Avatar," I felt sort of the same as when I saw "Star Wars" in 1977. That was another movie I walked into with uncertain expectations. James Cameron's film has been the subject of relentlessly dubious advance buzz, just as his "Titanic" was. Once again, he has silenced the doubters by simply delivering an extraordinary film. There is still at least one man in Hollywood who knows how to spend $250 million, or was it $300 million, wisely.

"Avatar" is not simply a sensational entertainment, although it is that. It's a technical breakthrough. It has a flat-out Green and anti-war message. It is predestined to launch a cult. It contains such visual detailing that it would reward repeating viewings. It invents a new language, Na'vi, as "Lord of the Rings" did, although mercifully I doubt this one can be spoken by humans, even teenage humans. It creates new movie stars. It is an Event, one of those films you feel you must see to keep up with the conversation.

The story, set in the year 2154, involves a mission by U. S. Armed Forces to an earth-sized moon in orbit around a massive star. This new world, Pandora, is a rich source of a mineral Earth desperately needs. Pandora represents not even a remote threat to Earth, but we nevertheless send in the military to attack and conquer them. Gung-ho Marines employ machine guns and pilot armored hover ships on bombing runs. You are free to find this an allegory about contemporary politics. Cameron obviously does.

Pandora harbors a planetary forest inhabited peacefully by the Na'vi, a blue-skinned, golden-eyed race of slender giants, each one perhaps 12 feet tall. The atmosphere is not breathable by humans, and the landscape makes us pygmies. To venture out of our landing craft, we use avatars--Na'vi lookalikes grown organically and mind-controlled by humans who remain wired up in a trance-like state on the ship. While acting as avatars, they see, fear, taste and feel like Na'vi, and have all the same physical adeptness.

This last quality is liberating for the hero, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), who is a paraplegic. He's been recruited because he's a genetic match for a dead identical twin, who an expensive avatar was created for. In avatar state he can walk again, and as his payment for this duty he will be given a very expensive operation to restore movement to his legs. In theory he's in no danger, because if his avatar in destroyed, his human form remains untouched. In theory.

On Pandora, Jake begins as a good soldier and then goes native after his life is saved by the lithe and brave Neytiri (Zoe Saldana). He finds it is indeed true, as the aggressive Col. Miles Quaritch (Stephen Lang) briefed them, that nearly every species of life here wants him for lunch. (Avatars are not be made of Na'vi flesh, but try explaining that to charging 30-ton rhino with a snout like a bullet head shark).

The Na'vi survive on this planet by knowing it well, living in harmony with nature, and being wise about the creatures they share with. In this and countless other ways they resemble Native Americans. Like them, they tame another species to carry them around--not horses, but graceful flying dragon-like creatures. The scene involving Jake capturing and taming one of these great beasts is one of the film's greats sequences.

Like "Star Wars" and "LOTR," "Avatar" employs a new generation of special effects. Cameron said it would, and many doubted him. It does. Pandora is bevy largely CGI. The Na'vi are embodied through motion capture techniques, convincingly. They look like specific, persuasive individuals, yet sidestep the eerie Uncanny Valley effect. And Cameron and his artists succeed at the difficult challenge of making Neytiri a blue-skinned giantess with golden eyes and a long, supple tail, and yet--I'll be damned. Sexy.

At 163 minutes, the film doesn't feel too long. It contains so much. The human stories. The Na'vi stories, for the Na'vi are also developed as individuals. The complexity of the planet, which harbors a global secret. The ultimate warfare, with Jake joining the resistance against his former comrades. Small graceful details like a floating creature that looks like a cross between a blowing dandelion seed and a drifting jellyfish, and embodies goodness. Or astonishing floating cloud-islands.

I've complained that many recent films abandon story telling in their third acts and go for wall-to-wall action. Cameron essentially does that here, but has invested well in establishing his characters so that it matters what they do in battle and how they do it. There are issues at stake greater than simply which side wins.

Cameron promised he'd unveil the next generation of 3-D in "Avatar." I'm a notorious skeptic about this process, a needless distraction from the perfect realism of movies in 2-D. Cameron's iteration is the best I've seen -- and more importantly, one of the most carefully-employed. The film never uses 3-D simply because it has it, and doesn't promiscuously violate the fourth wall. He also seems quite aware of 3-D's weakness for dimming the picture, and even with a film set largely in interiors and a rain forest, there's sufficient light. I saw the film in 3-D on a good screen at the AMC River East and was impressed. I might be awesome in True IMAX. Good luck in getting a ticket before February.

It takes a hell of a lot of nerve for a man to stand up at the Oscarcast and proclaim himself King of the World. James Cameron just got re-elected.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

crazy how i might end up watching this after all

the internets was wrong?

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
It takes a hell of a lot of nerve for a man to stand up at the Oscarcast and proclaim himself King of the World. James Cameron just got re-elected.

:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: / :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

it's at 91% overall on RT and 100% for cream of the crop/top critics.

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

That "Avatar is not just a movie.... it's an experience" talk is cringe-worthy to say the least. Can't stand how the eyes lighten up on the producers when they talk about this movie.