Andvil's DVD Picks for November 10th

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Andvil

Andvil's DVD Picks for November 10th

Post by Andvil »

Andvil's DVD Picks for November 10th, 2009

Up (2009)
dir. Bob Peterson, Pete Docter

Easily one of the best movies of the year so far. It looked amazing in 3D, and I can't wait to watch it in 2D on blu-ray. I'm not sure where exactly I would rank it among Pixar movies, but it would probably be somewhere near the top.

Product Description:
At a time when too many animated films consist of anthropomorphized animals cracking sitcom one-liners and flatulence jokes, the warmth, originality, humor, and unflagging imagination of Up feel as welcome as rain in a desert. Carl Fredericksen (voice by Ed Asner) ranks among the most unlikely heroes in recent animation history. A 78- year-old curmudgeon, he enjoyed his modest life as a balloon seller because he shared it with his adventurous wife Ellie (Ellie Docter). But she died, leaving him with memories and the awareness that they never made their dream journey to Paradise Falls in South America. When well-meaning officials consign Carl to Shady Oaks Retirement Home, he rigs thousands of helium balloons to his house and floats to South America. The journey's scarcely begun when he discovers a stowaway: Russell (Jordan Nagai), a chubby, maladroit Wilderness Explorer Scout who's out to earn his Elderly Assistance Badge. In the tropical jungle, Carl and Russell find more than they bargained for: Charles Muntz (Christopher Plummer), a crazed explorer whose newsreels once inspired Carl and Ellie; Kevin, an exotic bird with a weakness for chocolate; and Dug (Bob Peterson), an endearingly dim golden retriever fitted with a voice box. More importantly, the travelers discover they need each other: Russell needs a (grand)father figure; Carl needs someone to enliven his life without Ellie. Together, they learn that sharing ice-cream cones and counting the passing cars can be more meaningful than feats of daring-do and distant horizons. Pete Docter (Monsters, Inc. ) and Bob Peterson direct the film with consummate skill and taste, allowing the poignant moments to unfold without dialogue to Michael Giacchnio's vibrant score. Building on their work in The Incredibles and Ratatouille, the Pixar crew offers nuanced animation of the stylized characters. Even by Pixar's elevated standards, Up is an exceptional film that will appeal of audiences of all ages. Rated PG for some peril and action. --Charles Solomon

Monsters, Inc. (2001)
dir. Pete Docter

Another incredible Pixar movie, finally on blu-ray. Haven't seen this one since theaters I think, might have to have a Pixar double feature soon.

Product Description:
The folks at Pixar can do no wrong with Monsters, Inc., the studio's fourth feature film, which stretches the computer animation format in terms of both technical complexity and emotional impact. The giant, blue-furred James P. "Sulley" Sullivan (wonderfully voiced by John Goodman) is a scare-monster extraordinaire in the hidden world of Monstropolis, where the scaring of kids is an imperative in order to keep the entire city running. Beyond the competition to be the best at the business, Sullivan and his assistant, the one-eyed Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal), discover what happens when the real world interacts with theirs in the form of a 2-year-old baby girl dubbed "Boo," who accidentally sneaks into the monster world with Sulley one night. Director Pete Doctor and codirectors David Silverman and Lee Unkrich follow the Pixar (Toy Story) blueprint with an imaginative scenario, fun characters, and ace comic timing. By the last heart-tugging shot, kids may never look at monsters the same, nor artists at what computer animation can do in the hands of magicians. --Doug Thomas

Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut (2009)
dir. Zack Snyder

I honestly didn't care for the animated Black Freighter, and I doubt it's any more appealing when it's cut back into the movie like the actual comic. Fun fact I learned today: Glenn Hansard (singer/songwriter, dude from the movie Once) was asked to audition for the role of Rorschach.

Product Description:
The Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut is a new and final version of the blockbuster film from Zack Snyder. This version weaves Tales of the Black Freighter into the Watchmen Directorג€™s Cut film that makes this the perfect gift for every die hard fan of the graphic novel.

Xavier: Renegade Angel - Seasons 1 & 2 (2007-2009)
dir. Vernon Chatman, John Lee, Marco Bertoldo

Ohhhh man, this is my week. Read the Amazon.com user review below, it pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about Xavier. The review is kind of snarky and elitist, but it's completely on point. This is absolutely not a show for everybody, but man I LOOOOOVE it. It's 100% insane and 100% genius. Some of the best writing on all of TV.

Amazon.com user review:
You're likely to hear a lot of criticism for this show, and with good reason: People often become frustrated when faced with things they don't understand -- and it certainly doesn't help that the show is purposely abrasive, with unlikeable characters, a million sight gags/puns/lines hitting you a second, and the worst "art style" imaginable.

However, the abrasiveness is part of the humor, and that's PFFR's whole thing (look at Wonder Showzen or some of their music): Alienate people as quickly as possible so you can leave the people truly for looking beyond the surface to find brilliant, unique art. And with Xavier, what you have is a show not for the masses at all -- and certainly not for the typical Adult Swim set. This is a total work of GENIUS, and I don't throw that word around very often.

Surreal, bizarre, seemingly-100% nonsensical at times... but so, SO unbelievably consistently hilarious, intelligent, and clever. Have you seen a television show lately that you could describe as "mindblowing"? Probably not. Well, this is your show. It's probably way too intelligent for the average Adult Swim viewer... hell, it's probably way too intelligent even for the people who enjoy the show! There's ALWAYS some new line to pick up on. I've watched some episodes 10 times and still catch new things. It's hard to describe in detail how absolutely INSANE this show is!

But if you're the typical Adult Swim fan, you may want to pass on this one... however, if you're into the films of Lynch, Giuseppe Andrews, Jodorowsky, etc. or the music of The Residents, Harry Partch, Captain Beefheart... you know, the truly bizarre and "outside" part of the entertainment world... you will most likely love this exploration of existentialism and absurdity. This show is probably the most insanely and violently brilliant thing on television. Ever. So unbelievably packed with sight gags and clever quips, an 11 minute episode has more energy and ideas than entire seasons of pretty much every other show you can think of.

Never have I seen an animated series explore these themes. It attempts so much with what little it has. It's not random at all... one little line has layers and layers of depth. I'll admit it's probably a bit hard to take at first (as any truly groundbreaking art is), but remember that it's just a show that makes fun of the dangers of spirituality. With that in mind, you should be able to see the beauty. Personally, I think this is without question the most brilliant thing I've seen in forever, and I've fallen so hard in love for it that it's ridiculous. I've actually TURNED ON MY TELEVISION lately, just to watch this show. Will most people like it? Probably not. But if you want something truly unlike anything you've ever seen, get this immediately.

Ballast (2008)
dir. Lance Hammer

Really really great indie movie. Saw this in a real shitty theater, can't wait to watch it on blu-ray. The cinematography is low-key, moody, and astounding. The performances that Lance Hammer gets out of his (non) actors is really something incredible. I doubt everyone that watches it would love it, but I would say at LEAST give it a chance.

Product Description:
A double prize winner at the Sundance Film Festival and one of the most critically acclaimed films of 2008, Ballast is a stunningly evocative story of personal catastrophe and communal redemption. In the cold winter light of the Mississippi Delta, three lonely people stumble under the weight of a shared tragedy. Lawrence (Micheal J. Smith, Sr.) is paralyzed with grief after the loss of his twin brother. Twelve-year-old James (Jim Myron Ross) drifts into the perilous orbit of local teenagers while his single mother, Marlee (Tarra Riggs), is too exhausted from her menial job to interpret the clues. When sudden violence forces mother and son to flee their home in the night, they alight desperately on Lawrence s property. Though this provides safe harbor, it rekindles the fury of a bitter, longstanding conflict. Writer-director Lance Hammer and his gifted cast of local, non-professional actors have created an unflinching, profoundly humane story of lost souls forced by circumstance to seek solace in the most unlikely of places.

Sunrise (1927)
dir. F.W. Murnau

One of my favorite silent films, and really one of the great films of all time. The camera work, for a movie from 1927, is mind-blowing. Also, what the hell is up with Amazon having a MOC release? They really need to do that all the time. Fuck region blocking.

Product Description:
Beginning in summer, we meet a 'woman from the city' on vacation in the country, who we then discover is having an affair with a 'farmer'. The 'woman from the city' then proposes that he drowns his wife so they can run away together. Overwhelmed by the woman from the city, he decides to take his neglected wife for a row in a boat. She gets excited for the date, leaving her child at home, ready for a romantic day with her husband, hoping to rekindle their lost love. Whilst our rowing in the little boat, she senses something is not right. He attempts to push her overboard, but backs out last minute. She then escapes into the city, leaving him to chase after her. Eventually, he proves to her how much he loves her and she comes to forgive him as they share the day together, rekindling their love. On their journey back, a storm begins and his wife falls overboard in a terrible accident. The 'Farmer' returns home, thinking he has lost his wife. The woman from the city hears of her disappearance and runs to the farmer's side thinking he has followed through with their plan. Suffering severe grief and anger, he turns against the woman from the city, but soon hears the news that his wife has been found after an extensive search.

The General (1926)
dir. Buster Keaton

Another one of the greatest films ever. I'm not speaking in hyperbole, these really are some of the greatest movies ever. REKOGNIZE

Product Description:
Consistently ranked among the greatest films ever made, Buster Keaton s THE GENERAL is so brilliantly conceived and executed that it continues to inspire awe and laughter with every viewing. This Kino Ultimate 2 Disc Edition was mastered in HD from a 35mm archive print struck from the original camera negative. Rejected by the Confederate army as unfit, and taken for a coward by his beloved Annabelle Lee (Marion Mack), young Johnny Gray (Keaton) is given a chance to redeem himself when Yankee spies steal his cherished locomotive. Johnny wages a one-man war against hijackers, an errant cannon and the unpredictable hand of fate while roaring along the iron rails. Every shot has the authenticity and the unassuming correct composition of a Mathew Brady Civil War photograph, wrote film historian David Robinson, No one not even Griffith or Huston and certainly not Fleming (Gone With the Wind) caught the visual aspect of the Civil War as Keaton did.

DVD Features:
- Three musical scores to choose from:
(1) Music composed and conducted by Carl Davis, performed by The Thames Silents Orchestra (in 5.1 Stereo Surround or 2.0 Stereo)
(2) Music arranged and directed by Robert Israel
(3) Theatre organ score by Lee Erwin
- A video tour of the authentic General, presented in association with The Southern Museum
- A tour of the filming locations, presented by John Bengtson, author of Silent Echoes
- Behind-the-scenes home movie footage
- Filmed introduction by Gloria Swanson
- Filmed introduction by Orson Welles
- The Buster Express, a brisk montage of train gags from throughout Keaton s career

Zebraman Special Edition (2004)
dir. Takashi Miike

Not quite one of the greatest movies of all time, and not really even one of Miike's best, it's still decent. Not sure how this, of all his movies, got a special edition, but whatever.

Product Description:
The year is 2010. Shinichi (played by Sho Aikawa) is a second-rate third-grade teacher who gets no respect from his family and little from his students. It seems that in 1978 he fell in love with a TV super hero named Zebraman that was cancelled shortly after airing. The show was set in 2010 so this year he sews himself a makeshift Zebraman costume and slinks around the city at night. His harmless escapism becomes reality when he runs into a half crab half man enemy of the same TV show and begins to realize the stories of Zebraman and his strange alien enemies were actually prophecy and that by making his Zebraman suit he elected himself to fulfill those prophecies. Now he must be the super -hero of his fantasies or let the Earth fall to cute little green aliens bent on conquering our green world. Extras: TV version Zebraman , 7 min., special Announcement 42 sec., theatrical Trailer, 1min.30sec., TV Spots, 1 min.19sec. And photo gallery. Trailer for 1978 Series. Singer of Zebraman Theme Song. Hero Show.

G.I. Joe A Real American Hero: Complete Collectors Set [The Complete Series] (1985-1986)
dir. Buzz Dixon

17 DVDs is G.I. Joe overkill, but I won't deny this was easily one of my favorite cartoons growing up. I'm sure there are still multiple GI Joes buried in my yard back home.

Product Description:
G.I. JOE is the code name for Americas daring highly-trained special missions force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against Cobra, a ruthless organization determined to rule the world. For the first time ever, the complete collection of the original animated series is on DVD including the final half of Season Two which has never been on DVD before. In 1983 Hasbro made a bold statement when it relaunched its classic toy line of military action heroes as an adventure-based team of unique characters, each with his, and her, own specialties. And because it captured the imaginations and hearts of boys and girls aspiring to make a difference in the world, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was an immediate success lasting over 25 incredible years. Now you can relive the original animated adventures of Duke, Scarlett, Snake-Eyes, Flint, Lady Jaye and rest of the Joe team with this 17-disc collectors set of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero. It is all housed in a premium footlocker package. Inside it includes all 95 restored episodes on 17 DVDs, new interviews, exclusive featurettes, rare PSAs, archival Hasbro toy commercials, the original G.I. JOE 1963 Toy Fair Presentation, fan material, printable scripts and much more! This set also includes a collectible 60-page book, exclusive rub-on tattoos and a 1GB Dog Tag flash drive (USB 2.0) with 2 G.I. JOE silent comics preloaded on the device.

Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days (2009)
dir. Jim Henson, Bob Schwarz

I would actually really like to check out all the stuff on this set, but I dont think I'd buy it......althought it IS only $20.

Product Description:
With over 5 hours of iconic moments, favorite songs, celebrity segments and exclusive never-before-seen backstage footage, this commemorative DVD Collection is a must own for every Sesame Street fan!

The Ugly Truth (2009)
dir. Robert Luketic

Product Description:
Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler star in this wildly funny battle of the sexes. Abby (Heigl), a successful morning show producer, is looking for a lot in a man. Mike (Butler), her obnoxious TV star, knows men only want one thing. Determined to prove that she's not romantically challenged, Abby takes Mike's advice during a promising new romance, but the unexpected results will stun everyone.

Ink (2009)
dir. Jamin Winans

"It's a Wonderful Life" meets "Sin City"............hmmmmmmm.........

Product Description:
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE meets SIN CITY in this high-concept visual thriller. John and Emma, father and daughter, are thrust into a fantastical dream-world battle between forces of good and evil in this allegorical tale of love, loss and the search for redemption.

Sexploitation Double Feature: Female Animal/Teenage Mother (1967)
dir. Jerry Gross

I dont know much about Female Animal, but I have heard lots of horror stories about Teenage Mother and the shock factor involved. I'll have to see if I can find it online somewhere.

Product Description:
Female Animal: Penniless Angeliqueג€™s beauty and sensuality catch the attention of wealthy shipping tycoon Count Medici, who installs her in his household as a maid. Now pampered and adored, she eventually finds herself at the center of a bizarre love triangle and power struggle that involves the Count, his sexy mistress Francesca, and his playboy son Alain. Teenage Mother: Raging hormones and drug-use cause havoc at the local high school when a young girl tries to trap her boyfriend into marriage, and a pot-crazed student attempts to rape the new Swedish sex-education teacher.

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

Sunrise is probably the greatest movie of all time

citizen kane-esque vituosity and perfection

it's got a damn steadicam shot 50 years before the thing was invented!
Hemingway Novel Model

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah Sunrise is amazing. I hope that MoC starts releasing all of their shit region free...they've had a couple other releases that were region free as well (fantastic planet is one of them). They have a bunch of shit I'd love to see in their catalog.

Both Up and Monsters Inc blurays are getting copped. Can we get the Toy Storys on bluray already though? Goddamn.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Gonna cop Up today on BR. Haven't seen it yet but heard nothing but great things.

frank b

Post by frank b »

:ohsh: @ Sunrise & The General
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

+1 on xavier, love that show
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Ballast is supposed to be great. Really want to see that.

I need to see Sunrise too. I've seen some stills from it and it looks amazing.

citizen

Post by citizen »

i would watch ink based on the description

looks like lots of people are liking ink, its available as instant watch on netflix
Last edited by citizen on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I love "Sunrise" too, but is it just me or is the art for it awful?
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Loved Wonder Showzen but didn't like the Xavier clips I've seen. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Co-sign how good "Sunrise" is, it really is a must see.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Yeah Sunrise is amazing. I hope that MoC starts releasing all of their shit region free...they've had a couple other releases that were region free as well (fantastic planet is one of them). They have a bunch of shit I'd love to see in their catalog.
I think only their bluray releases are region free, and hopefully they'll keep that going since I don't know of any all region blu-ray players

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

I ain't never seen a god damn thing listed, but you guys make this shit sound really interesting.

Sadly, after reading the review for "Xavier", I feel like maybe I'm not smart enough to watch that show? :owens:
You're likely to hear a lot of criticism for this show, and with good reason: People often become frustrated when faced with things they don't understand -- and it certainly doesn't help that the show is purposely abrasive, with unlikeable characters, a million sight gags/puns/lines hitting you a second, and the worst "art style" imaginable.

However, the abrasiveness is part of the humor, and that's PFFR's whole thing (look at Wonder Showzen or some of their music): Alienate people as quickly as possible so you can leave the people truly for looking beyond the surface to find brilliant, unique art. And with Xavier, what you have is a show not for the masses at all -- and certainly not for the typical Adult Swim set. This is a total work of GENIUS, and I don't throw that word around very often.

Surreal, bizarre, seemingly-100% nonsensical at times... but so, SO unbelievably consistently hilarious, intelligent, and clever. Have you seen a television show lately that you could describe as "mindblowing"? Probably not. Well, this is your show. It's probably way too intelligent for the average Adult Swim viewer... hell, it's probably way too intelligent even for the people who enjoy the show! There's ALWAYS some new line to pick up on. I've watched some episodes 10 times and still catch new things. It's hard to describe in detail how absolutely INSANE this show is!

But if you're the typical Adult Swim fan, you may want to pass on this one... however, if you're into the films of Lynch, Giuseppe Andrews, Jodorowsky, etc. or the music of The Residents, Harry Partch, Captain Beefheart... you know, the truly bizarre and "outside" part of the entertainment world... you will most likely love this exploration of existentialism and absurdity. This show is probably the most insanely and violently brilliant thing on television. Ever. So unbelievably packed with sight gags and clever quips, an 11 minute episode has more energy and ideas than entire seasons of pretty much every other show you can think of.

Never have I seen an animated series explore these themes. It attempts so much with what little it has. It's not random at all... one little line has layers and layers of depth. I'll admit it's probably a bit hard to take at first (as any truly groundbreaking art is), but remember that it's just a show that makes fun of the dangers of spirituality. With that in mind, you should be able to see the beauty. Personally, I think this is without question the most brilliant thing I've seen in forever, and I've fallen so hard in love for it that it's ridiculous. I've actually TURNED ON MY TELEVISION lately, just to watch this show. Will most people like it? Probably not. But if you want something truly unlike anything you've ever seen, get this immediately.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

still havn't seen watchmen at all.. I'll probably redbox it.. gonna buy Sesame Street for my little Oscar the Grouch for sure..

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Roy Johnson wrote:I ain't never seen a god damn thing listed, but you guys make this shit sound really interesting.

Sadly, after reading the review for "Xavier", I feel like maybe I'm not smart enough to watch that show? :owens:

yeah this review is really pretentious

it's really not about how smart you are, it's about how much insane absurdist comedy you can tolerate, because it probably is the most insane thing that has ever been on TV. But the more you watch it, you really do start to realize that the writing is genius, and it does help to be somewhat smart :lol:

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I'll also add that Xavier is an acquired and very conflicting taste. While most (post?)modern absurdity keeps a tone of anti-humor (Tim and Eric, which I also love) Xavier is simultaneously whimsical and very, very dark. The mood and tone of the jokes alternating so quickly is why I think people find it so hard to digest. Wonder Showzen had a comparable style, but their breaking it up into skits and segments made it easier to digest. Xavier carries that attitude into a narrative making it all sorts of fucked up.

As for the animation itself, I think most people miss that the whole show is a sendup of the computer-animated Christian cartoons on the 90s that would be on before the standard cartoons on Saturday/Sunday mornings. The everyday issues going awry and answering being found through an vague, often inexplicable "higher purpose" was the direct formula. If you imagine Xavier being a straight-forward evangelical rather than the "conundrummer in the band of life" the stories would become a lot more linear but follow the same train of thought.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

for what it's worth i never liked wonder showzen or tim and eric, but xavier clicked instantly. like andvil said, i don't think you really need to be smart to enjoy it. you just need to have a taste for unbelievably absurd shit that makes no effort to be accessible at all. it's unabashedly 'weird for the sake of weird'. I'm honestly more surprised when i hear people cop to liking it then when i hear a negative reaction, i would expect most 'normal' people to barely make it through 1 episode.

oh and weed helps a lot
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

drizzle wrote:you just need to have a taste for unbelievably absurd shit that makes no effort to be accessible at all. it's unabashedly 'weird for the sake of weird'.
Gotcha. To be honest, it doesn't sound like something that would be up my alley. I'll have to give it a shot, though.

These threads are always awesome, Andvil. :cheers:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

I just used this deal to cop both Up and Monsters Inc on Blu Ray for 15 bucks at Target and thought I'd pass it on

this link will tell you all about it:
http://www.dealseekingmom.com/disney-pi ... ons-deals/

basically there's 3 prinatable coupons, $10 off Up, $8 off Monsters Inc, and $10 off when you buy both at Target, bring in the weekly add from Best Buy and they'll match that sales price.

So ya, Up Blu Ray Combo Pack, Monsters Inc Blu Ray Combo Pack, only 15 DOLLARS TOTAL fuck yearh

aresem

Post by aresem »

Up in 3D was not that great.... dope flick, but the 3D wasnt on par with other films ive seen in 3D.