Let's Discuss Potential Movie Purchases/Viewings

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

God that does look really awful Spartan. You'd think that the first movie to rep Hammer for a quarter century would be some sort of homage to the classics.
And yeah, I'm definitely scheming on that Paranoiac BD. The world needs more B&W bluray releases, especially in the horror genre.

I got me a cheapy Sherwood 5004 player that I read decent reviews on. I didn't want to spend too much because I already have a bluray player in my PS3 so I only needed something to play the occasional foreign disc. I learned about it on the AV Maniacs forum.
Here's the thread, what they say about it is pretty accurate. http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45030

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I've heard mixed things on Immortal but it always sounded intriguing to me. Let me know what you think of it.
I watched it first, since I'd already seen the other flicks.

Having no previous knowledge of this movie, I'm pretty surprised how much I liked it. The visuals are the best part of this movie, easily.
A lot of scifi movies leave me wanting to see more of the futuristic backdrop, I think they did a good job incorporating that aspect into the movie.

I had a couple problems though. Maybe it would help reading the comic books that inspired the movie, because I didn't understand what was going on half of the time. There are a lot of things left unexplained.
This movie was shot almost entirely on a green screen, and the CGI works well with the characters. It makes sense for the aliens and mutants to be CGI, but there are human characters done the same way.
It looks fake when they are interacting with the real actors. Don't see the logic in doing it that way.
For $10 on blu-ray, I'm pleased with it.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Spartan wrote:Image
big fan of this one. the wackiness of the poster is surprising though, the movie is nowhere near this comedic in tone.

bronx warriors movies are fun and cheezy and all that but imo they didn't really need that kind of extensive treatment. there are so many better castellari movies that deserved it more
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Is this worth buying? The trailer looked pretty awesome. I might try to find it online so I can watch it before I purchase.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle wrote:
Spartan wrote:Image
big fan of this one. the wackiness of the poster is surprising though, the movie is nowhere near this comedic in tone.

bronx warriors movies are fun and cheezy and all that but imo they didn't really need that kind of extensive treatment. there are so many better castellari movies that deserved it more
Despite the different cast, I always get A Study In Terror & the very similar themed Murder By Decree mixed up all the time. I really don't recall which was the darker and what I think is the better of the two, probably MBD, but it's worth the gamble and I love Ripper movies to death, except that shit with Hasslehoff in Arizona.

By better Castellari movies, you mean Inglorious Bastards & Eagles Over London?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

re: Massacre Mafia Style - allegedly it's not worth the price. i've been very tempted for a while now but every review says that considering how shitty the print quality is the 30+ tag is uncalled for. the guys who put this out even tried to defend this by saying you're paying for the extras moreso than the movie, but that's pure horseshit imo.

i'd say wait. Grindhouse Releasing is gonna put out his other movie Gone with the Pope sometime soon i think (they're touring a beautiful print now in a few theaters actually). allegedly they are going to release Massacre as well, either cleaned up or for much cheaper.
Last edited by drizzle on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Sage Stallone is taking his sweet time releasing those movies.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Spartan wrote: By better Castellari movies, you mean Inglorious Bastards & Eagles Over London?
day of the cobra, great white, jonathan of the bears, The Marseilles Connection. probably a few i'm forgetting too

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Thanks Drizzle.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

there's a standalone reg2 of that? u lucky bastards

you should double that with big bad mama

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

son of a bitch

importing that might actually be cheaper than buying the whole reg1 corman boxset. although that one is worth owning in itself

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Fucking hilarious. Brad Chavez.

Whoa. Fucked on so many levels. Great movie.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Employee wrote:I'm finally done. This is it. I've reached the end of the road. No more posting. Finished.

After what I've been able to accomplish through the simple act of message boarding alone, why hang around and listen to you histrionic bitches whine? There: YOU WIN. Game over. Over the course of the last several years I've kept most of you glued to every nut busted and eyelash felled. Carriescabies was cuckolded. Sherman failed. Thun proved he is a marshallow. Ithe Dawg is scared of his own shadow and his posts are so gay now that the risk of sucking a cock immediately after reading his posts is so high you have to wear a face mask when logging in. TRM posts regularly. Borks are modding without restriction. Snackbar is growing a vagina......literally. Harry Hater is wantonly abusing benzodiazopenes.

Through the entire process I've ruined myself and ruined P&B. Hopefully only temporarily. In the Chatzy earlier Thun said I would self-destruct in due time and this is his prophecy coming to fruition. Not only is my penis tucked snugly between my thighs, I'm smearing mascera all over the walls. Innumerable, high-level posters have opted to ignore me and this gnaws at me day-and-night. Let me save you the trouble. I'm exiting stage left of my own volition. The last thing I need is to be picked apart by you fucking vultures and style biters.

All the mods want me vanquished. Expunged from their collective memory. Congratulations. That's what you're getting. My solely peer pressure-based departure. Knowing you all hate me is hilarious. I'm the single most incredible thing to happen to message boarding since Vordul's jaw. To the few, and they are very few, who still support me, know that I cherished our times together here. To the Chatzy regulars, I have nothing but contempt. This is all your playground now. You don't have to concern yourself with me pooping on your party.

Thun said "P&B is dead" and it is my fault, primarily. So fuck you. Have it. I've thwarted legends, plots, myths, legacies, character assassination, all variety of shit talk, emotional outbursts, HLB Liars, hemophiliac cryers, new jacks, old jacks, o.g's, Men with Golden Fingers, deranged bisexual men, nobodies, somebodies, rappers, fashionistas with cocks, borks, habitual bed wetters, herbs, faux-playboys, trust fund babies, enraged wiggaz and other assorted pussies.

On that note, suck my dick and I'm out.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Torso is an excellent sleazy giallo.

Copped this today.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Awesome. Gore. Thrills. Gunfire. Conspiracies. Mad replay value.

A few decent gun battles. Any movie starring both Tyrese and Randy Quaid I cannot take seriously.

Ruined by a super gay ending.

Soooooo much better at home on blu-ray than in the theater.

Watched this again and it is easily the next best thing Apatow has done since "Freaks and Geeks."

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny and Girly - Digitally Remastered

Harpoon: The Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre

Blue Sunshine

Death Rides A Horse

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

They had Blue Sunshine at my local used dvd shop the other day and I took a long hard look at it but didn't grab it. Interested to hear your thoughts on that one.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's going to be a long wait, Tommy. Purchase wasn't made.
Bork DVD Retailer wrote:Paypal has temporarily closed our account because we sell what they call obscene material (this is 2010 isn't it?).... We will sort it out with them and let you know what to do asap.
These arrived today though:

Cult Spaghetti Westerns Box Set - DJANGO, A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL, KEOMA [DVD]
Thisd 3 DVD box set contains: DJANGO Banned in UK until the 90s, Sergio Corbucci s influential western stars Franco Nero as Django, the mysterious lone gunfighter who arrives in a bleak, muddrenched town. Caught in the middle of a violent feud between two gangs of sadistic bandits, Django will need to fight for his life armed with his devastating revolving Gatling gun. Music by Oscar

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Samurai Champloo

Anything by Watanabe is pretty damn good. I have watched this a bunch of times, but the blu ray was dirt cheap on amazon, so I bought it.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Spartan wrote:
Death Rides A Horse
ewwwwww weeeeeee. this looks like a good one. VC and PL up in that!!!???

just got these in the mail.

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/2728/523_box_348x490.jpg[/img]

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

where did you get the ''cold sweat''?

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

amazon. $10.00 plus they sent me a digital copy that i can download!!!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

no shit

how's the quality

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

havent watched, but from what ive been reading, its pretty bad.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

What's the quality of Summertime Killer like and is it legit?

I have an unhealthy obsession with Olivia Hussey as mentioned in previous threads.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

print quality is good, the release is legit, i wrote about it a little in the eurocrime thread