What % of movies that you watch do you actually enjoy?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Cowy

What % of movies that you watch do you actually enjoy?

Post by Cowy »

First off, I have a strong filter on the types of movies I see. I bypass shit that I "know" I'll dislike. But out of the movies that I do watch I would say I only like about ~25%. If I watched everything I'd probably only like 1 in 10 or so.

Am I a misanthropic fuck or are some of you guys similar? Maybe I'm just watching the wrong shit and should be checking Transformers and Spiderman 2 and shit instead.

As an aside, watched Chop Shop last night and it was pretty fucking great.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i've developed a pretty good eye for picking what i'll likely enjoy, so i hit about a 70% success rate.

seems like your filter is way off, what do you base it on?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I'd say I genuinely enjoy half of what I watch, if not more.
Even the stuff I don't love, the majority of films I can appreciate on some level.
But like drizzle said, I have a pretty solid system for deciding what to watch.

I am pretty easygoing though for a film-fag, I like everything and all genres except movies specifically made with a female audience in mind.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

check out This Island Earth. you'll love it.

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

By 25% enjoyable, I mean, really enjoyed as in would recommend to friends, would rewatch, etc. Not that I hate the other 75%, they range anywhere from alright to bad.

As far as how I decide which movies to see, director/actors involved, critical acclaim from critics who I can tolerate, trailer/commercials etc, and just general buzz(phila, friends, etc).

I try to more or less go into every movie with a blank slate though, I don't really read about them ahead of time and try to avoid spoilers at all costs. When I see critical reviews I try and just see how many stars or tomatoes or whatever the fuck they got then proceed, I don't need to know the whole plot. I guess it's a tradeoff between knowing what your getting yourself into and exposing yourself to spoilers.

Like I went into The Wrestler thinking it was going to be Requiem for a Dream 2 b/c I didn't read anything at all about it, didn't know it was written by that guy from The Onion, etc :killacam:

philbluntsmoker

Post by philbluntsmoker »

Spartan wrote:check out This Island Earth. you'll love it.
fuck off biatch

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

are you still butt hurt over that Alistair Crowley shit, philibluntsmegma?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

another question, how many times do you find yourself multi-tasking while watching a movie? phone, internet or doing some work because it just doesn't COMPLETELY grab your attention. i know i can't be the only one who looks at the counter to see how much time is left.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

around 80%

i tend to do research before i decide if i want to watch a movie (reviews, trailers, cast/credits, etc) and then keep a pretty extensive list of movies on my phone so i'm never forced to rent/see something shitty on a whim. plus i pretty much only watch movies i think i'll enjoy & always watch movies with the intention of enjoying them. as much as i'm guilty of being an elitist/snob at times, i genuinely like to geek out and love a movie.. whereas some people have to fight just not to hate something

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i generally try to avoid critics and trailers beyond getting a general basic sense of what the thing is all about

i know i'm probably in the minority but i don't really balk at the imdb ratings too much. with enough votes entered they often nail the general quality imo. also the user comments are invaluable, not at face value but going by the general tone, grammar and such of the writer.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i'll watch a trailer.. but i generally agree about the critics thing. i try not to have any spoilers and generally just check for a rotten tomatoes rating

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I'd say i really enjoy about 15%, really hate 15% and i'm completely indifferent about the rest. that might have to do with me just kinda being like that in general though.
I have learned to avoid movies i know i'll dislike though. Like most movies based around cgi effects i tend to not give a shit about (:arrow: , i know), so i skip them.
however, I take a lot of losses on horror movies and comedies.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Philaflava wrote:another question, how many times do you find yourself multi-tasking while watching a movie? phone, internet or doing some work because it just doesn't COMPLETELY grab your attention. i know i can't be the only one who looks at the counter to see how much time is left.
i try to avoid this, a lot of movies may start slow and then pick up or really come together toward the end. or they may not be great for the usual obvious reasons, but still engage me on some other level (attention to detail in setting or whatever, nerd shit). every movie deserves a fair chance

conversely, on very rare occasions i come across something so good that i look at the counter with dread because i know i only have xx minutes of this awesomeness left

Dan

Post by Dan »

I'd say I enjoy about 80% of what I watch.

I'm really picky and won't see the summer blockbuster/comic book type movies.

Since I never watch live TV, I never see trailers, so I only see movies based on their descriptions and who wrote/directed them.

I also never check IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes until after I've seen the film.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

41.4% with a margain of error of 4.45%

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

Fiddy o mo I usually don't end up picking or paying for them so it's all good.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

I look at the counter no matter the quality. This goes for everything. Minutes left in a movie. Pages left in a book. Days left in teh life.

supnick

Post by supnick »

ackbar wrote:around 80%

i tend to do research before i decide if i want to watch a movie (reviews, trailers, cast/credits, etc) and then keep a pretty extensive list of movies on my phone so i'm never forced to rent/see something shitty on a whim. plus i pretty much only watch movies i think i'll enjoy & always watch movies with the intention of enjoying them. as much as i'm guilty of being an elitist/snob at times, i genuinely like to geek out and love a movie.. whereas some people have to fight just not to hate something

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Philaflava wrote:another question, how many times do you find yourself multi-tasking while watching a movie? phone, internet or doing some work because it just doesn't COMPLETELY grab your attention. i know i can't be the only one who looks at the counter to see how much time is left.
If I find myself doing other shit, I'll just turn it off. Isnt looking at the counter like looking at the clock at work?

I only like to know how long a movie is before I start it.

I enjoy almost every movie I see because I would rather not waste my time. Sometimes I watch something like Adventureland and feel cheated afterwards, expecially cause some of the faggoats on this board said it was one of the best of the year. I'll watch some movies and avoid others based on who here enjoyed them.

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

Captin Planit wrote:I look at the counter no matter the quality. This goes for everything. Minutes left in a movie. Pages left in a book. Days left in teh life.
This cracked me up.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I don't trust the IMDB ratings at all. That has more to do with my personal taste I think. Like Drizzle said, the user comments is the way to go, if you know how to decipher them.

Look at how some of these fantastic movies are rated

Deathwish 3: 5.6
Mary: 6.0
New York Ripper: 6.0
New Rose Hotel: 4.2
Pieces: 5.4
Stone Cold: 5.2
Cobra: 4.8
Motel Hell: 5.8
Alligator: 5.6

Well fuck you guys too!
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

80%....Like the other nerds have said, I know which directors, genres, actors, etc. that I like and with some research, can usually pick out a winner. If I go to Rotten tomatos and read 8 of the blurbs good and bad I can usually decide if a movie is for me.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I like most movies I watch. I would say about 75%.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i would say up around 90%. even shitty movies i can take away something from it. even if its just mindlessly killing a few hours and a laugh at some over dramatic bullshit. the movies i hate are the ones that people gas and i have expectations for only to be let down....like zombieland.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

ALASKA wrote:that people gas and i have expectations for only to be let down....like zombieland.

if the bill murray shit alone didn't make that movie for you. I don't know what to tell you..

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Trademark wrote:
ALASKA wrote:that people gas and i have expectations for only to be let down....like zombieland.

if the bill murray shit alone didn't make that movie for you. I don't know what to tell you..
if it was a short film sure. the first 15 minutes were cool too. it just never took off. it was kinda of boring.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i go to rotten tomatoes and read all the bad reviews. then the movie always seems awesome. so i'm basically at 100%

thing about imdb is you can pretty much predict which movies will be over/underrated by the genre, how recently it came out (newer movies scores are seriously inflated), and by their appeal to chumps.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.