Podcasts Recommendations

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ALASKA

Re: Podcasts Recommendations

Post by ALASKA »

I just listened to the Block interview on Kinda Neat. Tiu is a damn good interviewer.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Yeah, good job on the block interview, tui. Great to hear two Phila bros chop it up in an entertaining fashion.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

Brougham33 wrote:Anyone else listen to Hardcore History with Dan Carlin? Best history podcast, only does a handful a year, new one just came out:

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive
yeah man, that Wrath of the Khan series was beastly!
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

whole foods story on the brendan walsh feast is killing me now. favourite type of nonsense
moved by duck muscles

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

is that the bit where he talks about a lady talking on her blue tooth and he thinks shes ignoring him?

love brendan walsh.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

LilLeftBrain wrote:whole foods story on the brendan walsh feast is killing me now. favourite type of nonsense
:bork:!
I had no idea...

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ah,boosted!!
haven't heard that story, would like to. nah, this one was about shelling out some dough to make up whole foods signage and putting it up in front of an abandoned circuit city and relishing in peoples thinking a whole foods is coming to town, for better or worse
moved by duck muscles

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

:lol:

he should really have his own prank style tv show.

he da best.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

shit, now that i think about it i remember the blue tooth story too, think i heard that one on mohr stories
moved by duck muscles

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Busdriver is on the most recent of The Champs and its pretty great. I didn't know Ralph Farquar was fuckin Busdriver's dad! That's incredible. And perfect audio quality too.

PEACE

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Nice, gonna check that out fo sho.

Last episode of Mohr stories with Jim Norton was pretty good. Jay did an impression of Barry Katz around the 1:08 mark that had me fucking dying. I think it might have been the funniest thing Ive ever heard him say.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

SUPER late to the game but Uhh yeah dude is really awesome. Anyone got an particularly great episodes I should peep? It's a daunting process sifting through all these episodes.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Blockhead wrote:SUPER late to the game but Uhh yeah dude is really awesome. Anyone got an particularly great episodes I should peep? It's a daunting process sifting through all these episodes.
i can't necessarily remember episode numbers. check episode 110 tho. i just did a google search & i think that's the one where jah tells a great story about selling weed, blues traveler, police, etc.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Robert Smigel is rad on the new BS Report

PEACE

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

peanut butter wrote:Robert Smigel is rad on the new BS Report

PEACE
i was looking at that today actually but I'm so caught up in trying to finish the 400+ episodes of skeptics guide to the universe.
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

ayentee wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Robert Smigel is rad on the new BS Report

PEACE
i was looking at that today actually but I'm so caught up in trying to finish the 400+ episodes of skeptics guide to the universe.
Really worth checking out. Simmons pretty much sits back and lets Smigel do the work, and the stories are fantastic.

PEACE

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Blockhead wrote:SUPER late to the game but Uhh yeah dude is really awesome. Anyone got an particularly great episodes I should peep? It's a daunting process sifting through all these episodes.
I'm trying to think of the episode number where Jah talks about living with this guy and how the guy got him into his bed and spooned him.

Seth's rants >>> everything

Check their YouTube they have a episode uploaded with Seth talking about turning into a chick from drinking soy.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

davey mac sports is now regularly in the rotation. it's pretty fantastic. not sure why i waited so long to get into it
moved by duck muscles

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Tue, 29 Oct 2013
Show 50 - Blueprint for Armageddon I
3:07:20 minutes
http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hhar ... reat%20War
New Hardcore History with Dan Carlin out today. Going to be a mult-parter on WWI.

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

One of my favorite podcasts isn't even strictly a podcast, its a radio show. Either way, its over. :owens:
http://splitsider.com/2013/10/after-13- ... -december/

After 13 Years, 'The Best Show on WFMU' Will End in December
Tom Scharpling announced on the air last night that his long-running radio show/podcast The Best Show on WFMU will end its run with a final episode on December 17th. Scharpling made the announcement at the end of last night's Best Show at the 2:56:30 mark.

Scharpling, who's kidded about ending the show for years, said, "I've joked around about this before, and I'm not joking around now," before announcing the show is ending. Scharpling called Best Show "the best thing that has ever happened to me comedically" and "one of the most special things that has ever happened in my life" but explained that hosting the show has become too time consuming.

For the uninitiated, The Best Show is a weekly comedy/music radio show that Tom Scharpling started out of New Jersey in October of 2000 before the program grew a devoted international audience thanks to it being released online in podcast form. Clocking in at three hours each week, Best Show finds Scharpling taking listener calls, playing music, doing popular pre-written bits with his comedy partner Jon Wurster, and playing host to a slew of comedy and music elite as guests like regulars Patton Oswalt, Aimee Man, and John Hodgman.

"It is a huge commitment," Scharpling explains. "It's hard to do something that's more or less a full-time job for free. I've done it for as long as I can do it … I cannot sustain my life and this show and the commitment that this show takes to do right … What the future holds, I have no idea, and I'm not gonna worry about that now. I'm kinda just gonna do the best shows I can do, and we're gonna do the best shows we can do … and we're going to say goodbye on December 17th."

Scharpling and Wurster will probably be pulling out all the stops in these final seven Best Shows, not that they ever aren't. Although Scharpling says he doesn't know what his next move is, he has a script in development with IFC co-written by and starring Chris Gethard and has become a sought-after music video director, so you can expect to see him continue to follow those paths.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

havent listened to best show since Paul F. Tompkins moved out west, but that was definitely my shit. RIP

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

AHH WTF I DIDN'T LISTEN THIS WEEK DAMN :( :( :(
LEGENDARY. THE ONLY SAVING GRACE IS HOW BIG THE BACK CATALOG IS

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

anna feris feast was fun
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ooh bill burr was on todays crab feast, gonna get to that bright and early
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

eh, wasn't anything to write home about. if anything it was further proof that nobody can make talking about cars interesting or funny.
tho there was funny shit sprinkled throughout, of course
moved by duck muscles

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Anil Dash on Combat Jack this week is really good. On some other shit from comedy and rap, but should be relevant and interesting to any one of us internetos

PEACE

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Jim Breuer on wtf was fucking amazing

hall of famer cot damn

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

will ferrel today. haven't listened yet tho

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

listened to a bit o the bruer where he talked about performing at ronnie b's old club and then that strange bit bout how ronnie coulda been one of the contenders! but chose to be the gawd of radio instead. interesting yet salty. in jan they'll be on the same station so would think the paths would cross, on air, at some point. not that i would anticipate animosity but bruers big beef seemed to be that he wasn't invited on r&f on their prior station, so now that they share locales he may well be. my bro recently got into wtf and recommended the johnny knoxville so have that d/led and guess i'll listen one day, tho i do not care for maron much
went back a good seven weeks and started the tig crab feast today and got about halfway through it. don't care for her a lot either, the 'i know how funny this indifference is' shit i don't find all that humorous but jay & ryan been lifting her up a bit
moved by duck muscles

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Yeah I found that moment about Ronnie B on the Bruer WTF to be pretty weird too. Is Bruer still on Raw Dog? I thought he quit became the pay was so awful? Maybe I'm remembering wrong though.

So what is your opinion on the R&F transition? I'm hopeful but skeptical at the same time. I love that Ron wants to do more stuff with comedians, and I do think it's time for some kind of change, I just hope things don't change too much. Some of my favorite moments from Ron and Fez are when Ron is serious, and critically breaking down arguments. I hope that isn't all out the window. Also, I really hope he'll have some power at Rawdog, which is what it sounded like from Friday's show. I'm also curious about the replacement show the O&A channel. It will inevitably involve Sam Roberts, I just wonder who he'll be with. With all of these transitions, my biggest hope is that a spot opens up somewhere for Eastside Dave. He's radio gold, but he's best as the side kick to someone serious, as opposed to having host duties like he has on his sports show.