Podcasts Recommendations

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

mike eagle

Re: Podcasts Recommendations

Post by mike eagle »

technically its not a podcast but i listen to ron and fez via subscription on audible.com every fucking day

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

hey i do that too
moved by duck muscles

Dan

Post by Dan »

mike eagle wrote:technically its not a podcast but i listen to ron and fez via subscription on audible.com every fucking day
:cheers: I have SiriusXM and listen live every day. Never missed a single episode since they went to satellite 8 years ago.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

LilLeftBrain wrote:hey i do that too
then i dont know how you or dan manage to listen to anything else. between daily r & and my own demos i can barely find the time to even listen to music let alone other podcasts. used to listen to carolla, wtf, and npr's 'the business' religiously

wheels

Post by wheels »

Dan wrote:
wheels wrote:For ron & fez fans:
- davey mac sports program
- The Watchers
- something called either New Trash City or High Society Radio, can't figure out what it's actually called. It's pepper hicks, bronx johnny, and another dude named chris. It's funny
The show is called High Society Radio yet they're downloaded at http://www.newtrashcity.com. I don't understand the URL, but I personally like the name New Trash City better.
I got the story on one of their podcasts. They let highsocietyradio.com expire and lost the domain, so now the show is hosted at newtrashcity.com

Typical.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i got pretty into R&F from Dan's uploads. i think ron is one of the best interviewers TBH
i dunno if it's i could listen to their show regular tho. the bits picking on fez or dave do not interest me at all & 99% of their callers i do not want to listen to.
carolla is sort of the same way. i think he's talented as a broadcaster.. but dude is mostly an infuriating selfish prick

dr. drew & adam carolla def peaked on the loveline radio show. the archives are awesome

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Ron and Fez is great. Yeah, it can get slow at times but Ron is such a fucking pro and probably my favorite entertainer/personality in any form of media. Dude can go from dropping knowledge on any subject to making up a funny story about how he killed animals as a kid, to doing some hilarious carney angle in a matter of minutes. Pepper Hicks is a great second mic also. My favorite stuff over the last year is whenever Ron brings in the interns. Ron setting up an intern against Fez is always money.

I listen to almost every O&A too, but I don't really care about either Opie or Anthony, I mostly just listen for Jim Norton, who I think is better at radio than stand-up. He's quick as fuck and I love his stupid characters. Also I love it when he drops some real talk, and he's revealed himself to be much smarter and level-headed than he generally lets on. His Wednesday advice show after O&A is great.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ObeseJesus wrote:My favorite stuff over the last year is whenever Ron brings in the interns. Ron setting up an intern against Fez is always money.
god popcorn vs fez is one of my least favorite things going today. fully the fault of fez, that shit is unbearable to listen to. peppy ham vs dana last go round was always phenomenal however. her & kokomo were def the best intern class since i've been listening
& yeah r&f is 100% the reason i don't listen to more podcasts or as much music as in the olden days. shit eats up the time, 1 month, 8 days, 21 hours and 20 minutes worth since i first got an iphone according to audible. yikes
moved by duck muscles

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

LilLeftBrain wrote:
ObeseJesus wrote:My favorite stuff over the last year is whenever Ron brings in the interns. Ron setting up an intern against Fez is always money.
god popcorn vs fez is one of my least favorite things going today. fully the fault of fez, that shit is unbearable to listen to. peppy ham vs dana last go round was always phenomenal however. her & kokomo were def the best intern class since i've been listening
& yeah r&f is 100% the reason i don't listen to more podcasts or as much music as in the olden days. shit eats up the time, 1 month, 8 days, 21 hours and 20 minutes worth since i first got an iphone according to audible. yikes
i like how fez is turning popcorn babyface tho. but thats cause i kinda think matty ice is an asshole on the low. fez does show the full bore of his mental illness when he starts going at popcorn tho. that shit is sad. and yeah joe and dana have ruined me for all other interns.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I hate all intern feuds. They seem to be as old as radio. A tired gimmick that every comedy show seems to resort to. I guess I don't like them because they just don't seem real to me. If an intern and host of a show truly didn't get along, the intern would be removed as to not jeopardize his internship or cause harm to the host.

Sure, a host can have disagreements with interns, but the on-air fighting is strictly done for entertainment purposes. In the case of Fez, this has been a gimmick of his for many, many years. It keeps him involved in the show. Fez has always been at his best when he's fighting with someone. This is basically just pro wrestling, but for the radio. When the mics are off their meetings and hallway interactions are cordial.

jay

Post by jay »

Episode 226 of TalkinS Hit podcast with Eddie Ifft is hilarious... Actor Chris Wylde and Canadian comic Ian Bagg are guests

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

After getting into podcasts a couple years ago, the 5 I regularly check for are

Bill Burrs Monday Morning Podcast
Joe Rogan Experience
WTF
Fitzdog Radio
Duncan Trussell Family Hour

Occasionally check for

Mohr Stories,especially if its a good guest tho sometimes Im surprised. Barry Katz is always gold when he's on. Got introduced to Kirk Fox ac ouple weeks ago through his podcast and that dude is fucking hilarious.
Brody Stevens
Any Nerdist podcasts
Comedy Bang Bang
Ari Shafir Skeptic Tank

Adam Carolla got me into the whole podcast thing and he's also the first one Ive totally nixed regardless of who he has on since its only a 20 min appearance and Adam talking over them the whole time. Havent listened in a while but the last one I believe he repeated himself for about an hour, it was like listening to a batshit crazy person going on and on.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

yeah. i started with carollla daily. now i just try to make sure i dont miss if he has billy west or david alan grier on.

i fucks with comedy bang bang too, but i actually tend to wait on their year end 'best of' editions

also co-signed fitzdogg Greg Fitzsimmons is a g

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

nate bargatze. this guy is really funny
first heard him on a live WTF, then a crabfeast episode. he told one of the same stories.. but dude is really good imo

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

comedy podcast tourney? i'm down to help organize if a mod wants to make polls (was down for the hood movies one too)

some suggestions

- The Adam Carolla Show
- The Best Show on WFMU
- The B.S. Report
- Call Chelsea Peretti
- The Champs
- Comedy Bang Bang
- The CrabFeast
- Doug Loves Movies
- The Duncan Trussell Family Hour
- Fitzdog Radio
- The Fogelnest Files
- How Did This Get Made?
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- Mohr Stories
- The Nerdist
- Never Not Funny
- Norm Macdonald Live
- The Pod F. Tompkast
- Sklarbro Country
- The Todd Glass Show
- Uhh Yeah Dude
- Who Charted?
- WTF
- You Made It Weird

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i don't necessarily think it's an easy win for any show either. carolla, cbb, rogan, mohr stories, nerdist, wtf are all pretty huge shows. other things like who charted, fogelnest files, duncan trussell are doing amazing work. uyd, best show are (somewhat) unsung heros & innovators

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ackbar wrote:nate bargatze. this guy is really funny
first heard him on a live WTF, then a crabfeast episode. he told one of the same stories.. but dude is really good imo
a lot of the littler known dudes run together for me on the crab feast. looked dude up and his bio is about the same as what i now remember him talking about while feasting, dude is funny, they're all funny. tourney would be a good time. good list, don't listen to a lot of those but feel as if i have enough of an understanding of them all to vote and chat with confidence and know how
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

just from what's mostly chatted about on here i would think the crab feast, wtf, mohr stories & maybe corolla could be contenders. just speculating, if peoples ain't talking, one can't gauge
moved by duck muscles

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I'd be into the tourney but the only problem would be that there' a good chance people haven't heard half the shows that would be in it. But, still, it would be fun to do.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

tourney sounds like a good time.

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

Hope I'm not line-stepping here, because he never mentions it, but I've heard OME on a few comedy based podcasts recently, the latest of which being on Baron Vaughn's Deep S##t!
http://deepshitbaronvaughn.libsyn.com/r ... mike-eagle

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Mike has also been on Shots Fired a few times with Jeff Weiss and NoCanDo and is a really great guest

PEACE

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

retta crabfeasts may just be my favorite crab feasts
moved by duck muscles

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Newest episodes of The Champs with Allen Hughes, of the Hughes Brothers, is fantastic. His story about predicting Tupac's death is really great. The audio is pretty shitty, but the quality of the conversation makes it worth it.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thechamps/All ... Output.mp3

PEACE

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

The champs is becoming technically unlistenable since doug pound left.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Audio quality has dropped, conversation quality has increased since Doug's droppings were dropped

PEACE

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

peanut butter wrote:Newest episodes of The Champs with Allen Hughes, of the Hughes Brothers, is fantastic. His story about predicting Tupac's death is really great. The audio is pretty shitty, but the quality of the conversation makes it worth it.

PEACE
Gonna check this out for sure.

Was bored and threw on Moshes special on netflix the other night, it was pretty good actually.

I like these guys but theres too many podcasts to keep up with.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Harry Hater wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Newest episodes of The Champs with Allen Hughes, of the Hughes Brothers, is fantastic. His story about predicting Tupac's death is really great. The audio is pretty shitty, but the quality of the conversation makes it worth it.

PEACE
Gonna check this out for sure.

Was bored and threw on Moshes special on netflix the other night, it was pretty good actually.

I like these guys but theres too many podcasts to keep up with.
It's really dope. Again, the quality is shitty, but is listenable. Alot of it is about Pac, who once punched Hughes back in the day. He talks a ton of shit. One of my favorite interviews that I've heard recently.

PEACE

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Am I the only one who doesnt believe any of Brandt Tobler's stories he tells on the crab feast?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

he was the dude who talked about running numbers in vegas and him and his bro attempting to kill his pops multiple times before pops takes off with all his dough the first time he was on? haven't listened to his second appearance yet so i'll reserve really replying for now
am more caught up on podcasts than i have been in a while now, i'm up to his ep on the crab feast) and w ron & fez out this week i'll catch all the way up on a few podcasts no problem
listened to bill burr on mohr stories earlier, twas good. first mohr stories i've listened to in probably 25-30 episodes.
moved by duck muscles