Cronenberg's Upcoming Films (Cosmopolis Trailer)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

Cronenberg's Upcoming Films (Cosmopolis Trailer)

Post by Truth. »

MTV News spoke to director David Cronenberg (The Fly, A History of Violence), who revealed that he is thinking of making a sequel to the 2007 "Easter Promises" film, which stars Viggo Mortensen as a Russian gangster named Nikolai.

"It's the first time I've ever been in a situation where I actually want to do a sequel to something," he admitted. "I've never had the desire to do that before. But in this case, I thought we had unfinished business with those characters. I didn't feel that we had finished with Nikolai and we had done a lot of research that was more than we could stuff into that one movie."

Cronenberg added that many of original people are returning for the sequel, including himself, writer Steven Knight, producer Paul Webster, Focus Features and Mortensen, who received a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his role.

"We are moving forward with it. We all are excited about the idea of doing a sequel," said Cronenberg. "We are going to have a meeting very soon between me, Steve Knight and Paul Webster to discuss what the script would be. I have some very strong ideas about what I would like to see, but I would like to hear what they have to say as well. And then after that, if all goes well, Steve goes away and writes a great script. If we all like it, we make it."

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i'm down
Nets 2022

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

do not want

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

good stuff

SeanieCameras

Post by SeanieCameras »

Thumbs up...

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I trust Cronenberg. If the script is good then coo.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Reason wrote:i'm down

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I'll watch anything Cronenberg does. I'd rather him go back to his earlier fucked up steez but this will be dope

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I'll check it out, the first film felt incomplete anyway.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

this seems very un-cronenberg-like

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:this seems very un-cronenberg-like
word, because he doesn't do sequels

(assuming that's why you said it)

did you watch/dig this flick, gregg?

i copped it on blu-ray. now i'm kinda mad that obv. there will be a 2-disc version with both flicks (if he actually does this sequel). frankly i would want to watch them back to back (especially if he stays true to his word that the reason he wants to do a sequel is to take care of the "unfinished business" b/c he didn't "feel that they had finished with nikolai"

i definitely wanted more when the 1st jawn ended
Nets 2022

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

yeah, i actually liked it a lot. I'll usually watch any Cronenberg movie, unsolicited.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

dave and viggo are money..

this is how good movies are made

Truth.

Cronenberg's Upcoming Films

Post by Truth. »

anybody read the book?

Three days ago, it was announced that Colin Farrell and Marion Cotillard will star in David Cronenbergג€™s upcoming adaption Cosmopolis; today, First Showing reports some principal promotion art from the film (pictured above). Cosmopolis is scheduled to begin shooting in March 2011. Cronenberg is currently in pre-production on A Dangerous Method, which will star Viggo Mortensen as Sigmund Freud.

Below is the official synopsis from Amazon, as well as the novelג€™s original cover art if you want to compare and contrast. Farrell will play DeLillo; Cotillard will play his wife.
DeLillo skates through a day in the life of a brilliant and precocious New Economy billionaire in this monotone 13th novel, a study in big money and affectlessness. As one character remarks, 28-year-old Eric Packer ג€œwants to be one civilization ahead of this one.ג€ But on an April day in the year 2000, Ericג€™s fortune and life fall apart. The story tracks him as he traverses Manhattan in his stretch limo. His goal: a haircut at Anthonyג€™s, his fatherג€™s old barber.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Book is pretty great. DeLillo is a beast. Very interesting choice for Cronenberg.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

weird choice of a book to turn into a movie.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I really like the Cronenberg/Viggo pairing but I'd rather them do a genre movie than a character study.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

just noticed they had ferrell for this, he looks older than i pictured teh character when i read it.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I haven't read the book, but from the synopsis it looks like this is going to be Cronenberg's version of American Psycho, which gives it a limitless possibility of awesomeness.

A Freud biopic is interesting too because the subject matter is a perfect match for Cronenberg and a Viggo / Cronenberg collaboration can do no wrong.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

resemblance to american psycho is marginal at most... maybe in the topical (relative to the time period) commentary on the younger generation involved in high level finance, but that's far from the main focus

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Nothing at all like American Psycho.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

interested..
i heard don delillo is a great writer

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

ackbar wrote:interested..
i heard don delillo is a great writer
Underworld is pretty much the best book I've ever read. Great place to start. Libra and Mao II are also classics.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

underworld is a good place to start with him, this book isn't though imo

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

haven't heard of this book or anything, i'm more into non fiction books that will educate me on sumthin, but yeah, just on the fact that cronenberg is directing this shit, it seems like its gonna be sumthin worth checking out, yes surr

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

didn't deserve its own thread but thought this was interesting

David Cronenberg to direct Lethem's As She Climbed Across the Table

Cronenberg returns to The Fly territory with strange tale of a man who loses his love to a shapeless void

In recent years, he's successfully moved into more mainstream, if indubitably classy, fare but David Cronenberg's latest project looks like a return to the peculiar world of The Fly or Crash. The Canadian filmmaker is planning a big-screen adaptation of Jonathan Lethem's 1997 novel As She Climbed Across the Table, the tale of a man who loses the love of his life to a shapeless void.

According to the Pajiba blog, Cronenberg is attached to direct, though there are as yet no casting details. Lethem's novel features two main characters: Philip, a man who is obsessed with a woman, and Alice (the woman), a physicist who is obsessed with a hole, or doorway to nothingness, which she has created in the laboratory where they both work. According to the website, the film is aiming for an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind feel.

Lethem's other novels include The Fortress of Solitude and Motherless Brooklyn, which won the National Book Critics Circle award.

Cronenberg himself is currently working on the drama A Dangerous Method, about the friendship and rivalry between Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung. He is also tipped to remake his own Oscar-winning horror movie The Fly, from 1986, as well as a sequel to Eastern Promises, his 2007 thriller about Russian gangsters in London. As if those were not enough, Cronenberg also has adaptations of Martin Amis's London Fields and Don DeLillo's Cosmopolis in the works.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Tommy Bunz wrote:didn't deserve its own thread but thought this was interesting

David Cronenberg to direct Lethem's As She Climbed Across the Table

Cronenberg returns to The Fly territory with strange tale of a man who loses his love to a shapeless void

In recent years, he's successfully moved into more mainstream, if indubitably classy, fare but David Cronenberg's latest project looks like a return to the peculiar world of The Fly or Crash. The Canadian filmmaker is planning a big-screen adaptation of Jonathan Lethem's 1997 novel As She Climbed Across the Table, the tale of a man who loses the love of his life to a shapeless void.

According to the Pajiba blog, Cronenberg is attached to direct, though there are as yet no casting details. Lethem's novel features two main characters: Philip, a man who is obsessed with a woman, and Alice (the woman), a physicist who is obsessed with a hole, or doorway to nothingness, which she has created in the laboratory where they both work. According to the website, the film is aiming for an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind feel.

Lethem's other novels include The Fortress of Solitude and Motherless Brooklyn, which won the National Book Critics Circle award.

Cronenberg himself is currently working on the drama A Dangerous Method, about the friendship and rivalry between Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung. He is also tipped to remake his own Oscar-winning horror movie The Fly, from 1986, as well as a sequel to Eastern Promises, his 2007 thriller about Russian gangsters in London. As if those were not enough, Cronenberg also has adaptations of Martin Amis's London Fields and Don DeLillo's Cosmopolis in the works.
Probably my least favorite early sci-fi Lethem, but could be reaaaally cool visually when Crons gets his hands on it.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Cronenberg working is good news.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

ehhh never seen a Twilight so i don't really have an opinion on dude, i'll trust Cronenberg though