The Horror Movie Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

blessingindisguise wrote:Impressive gifs spartan. you should post that crazy ralph figurine they issued that i need to purchase...

any other 80's reccomendations would be reccomended i've watch scream for help, slumberparty massacre, tourist trap(79 but close enough), night school, and night of the demons would be greatly appreciated. the underrated nightmare on elm street 2 where freddy was darker.
Had no idea there was a Crazy Ralph figurine out. I know there's a cool statue of Jason chained underwater statue. Probably too expensive for me though.

80's movies

The Shining
The Thing
The Changeling
The Entity
The Hitcher
The Stepfather
Fright Night
Creepshow
Halloween II
Halloween III & IV (fuck the haters! I like them)
Friday The 13th I - VII (II is my fave)
Prince Of Darkness
The Fog
Poltergeist
Videodrome
Scanners
The Dead Zone
The Fly
C.H.U.D.
Cat's Eye
One Dark Night (aka Mausoleum)
Final Exam
Curtains
Happy Birthday To Me
Bloody Birthday
Return Of The Living Dead I & II
Blood Beach
Possession
The Slayer
Don't Go In The House
An American Werewolf In London
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
The Funhouse
Basket Case
Brain Damage
He Knows You're Alone
The Reanimator
From Beyond
Terror Train
Madhouse
Madman
My Bloody Valentine
The Howling
Hellraiser
Hellraiser II: Hellbound :sluggo:
Pumpkinhead
Nightmare (aka Nightmare In A Damaged Brain)
Chopping Mall
Pieces
Near Dark
Maniac
Maniac Cop
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Silent Night, Deadly Night
House
House On Sorrority Row
Bloody Moon
Cheerleader Camp
The Burning
Sleepaway Camp I & II (II has some of the best kills)
Razorback
Ghost Story
City of the Living Dead
The Beyond
New York Ripper
Day Of The Dead
Evil Dead I & II
Phantasm 2
Prison
Shocker
Children Of The Corn
Strange Behaviour
The Nest
The Blob
Just Before Dawn
One Dark Night
The Prowler (aka Rosemary's Killer)
Tenbre
Inferno
Phenomena
Opera
Stage Fright
Dead & Buried
Evil Speak
Visiting Hours
Hell Night
Prom Night 2: Hello Mary Lou (watch it for the Freddy rip-offs)
Demons 1 & 2

Must have missed loads but can't think of anymore right now.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Serpent and the Rainbow, Cujo, Pet Semetary, Wolfen and Puppet Master could have been added but I haven't seen any of those in a while to be fair. Spoorloos and Motel Hell are essential in their own different ways. Don't intend to insinuate that the above isn't a comprehensive list though.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yeah, it's far from comprehensive or anything.

Great call on Serpent And The Rainbow, Pet Semetary and Wolfen.

Comedy Quaddafi

Aaaargh. Just bough Silent Night, Deadly Night thinking it was the highly praised Black Christmas. I can still return it but it was very cheap. I see you listed it here so it can't be that bad I guess.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

:rofl: I've been there too recently and copped A Study In Terror instead of Murder By Decree.

Silent Night, Deadly Night is pretty trashy at best, but it's a very mean spirited slasher film though much like Pieces, Slaughter High and My Bloody Valentine so you might enjoy this if you liked any of the aforementioned. It doesn't win any prizes for being subtle either especially it's portrayal of the Catholic Church, but it's definitely one that slasher fans can appreciate. Nowhere in the same league as Bob Clark's Black Christmas however.

Comedy Quaddafi

http://www.amazon.fr/Amer-Helene-Cattet ... 847&sr=8-1

Amer, Oct 26th. A bit disappointed to hear it doesn't have a plot or dialog.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/B-Movie-Campaig ... 072&sr=8-1
12 b-movies for 15 quid. I feel like ordering it but I'm only interested in half of these. Frogtown, Return to Horror-High/of the Killer Tomatoes, Slugs, Elvira and The Stuff all seem potentially 'good'. Not sure what to make of the other more modern DTV creature-features.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Wow, if Amer has English subs, I'll definitely pick it up. From what I understand there does seem to be a plot albeit a pretty simple one. I'm not too bothered about that though, from the various teasers and trailers I watched, it was more about style and replicating vintage Bava & Argento as it's top priority.

I have that B-Movie set. If I remember correctly, their just bare bones releases and automatically play once you put the disc in the player. No trailers of featurettes or anything. Bargain price but don't expect any extras.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

So Frightfest came and went.

One of the writers over at Twitch was impressed with UK killer kiddie flick, F to write a very favorable review. I'm still not too convinced although I'm starting to wonder if this might have been filmed at my old school.
Johannes Roberts' F is a masterful, fresh take on the sub-genre of 'hoodie horror', featuring be-hooded kids laying siege to a school after hours. It's not the first British film to demonise today's youth, with the likes of Eden Lake and Harry Brown taking square aim at the disenfranchised kids of the 21st Century. But it does put a unique spin on matters by supposing the kids as an abstract evil rather than just a jeering nuisance.

Robert Anderson (David Schofield) is a teacher who's left hopeless, alcoholic and estranged from his wife and daughter after a pupil attacks him during class for giving them an "F" grade. Frustrated with a school system that wouldn't support him, he's at risk of losing his job and commands virtually no control over his rowdy classroom. In a bid to regain some pride he finds himself holding detention with his own daughter, Kate (Eliza Bennett). Tensions come to a head and an argument sends Kate running for the exit... Searching for his daughter, Robert slowly realises the school is under attack from a hooded enemy and, despite his fragile state, it's not just paranoia at work.

Roberts has claimed this as a "remake of Assault on Precinct 13", but that really does it a disservice. Whilst there are nods to Carpenter right from a title sequence that proclaims "Johannes Roberts' F" in auteur-like fashion, the film has a whole raft of its own ideas and a highly distinctive atmosphere. Whereas other flicks of this sort show their foes in the full light of day and provide a very human face behind the crimes, F makes an inspired move to show the hoodies as faceless, almost demonic, figures with only black voids where their faces should be. This is very much fear of 'the young' as an entity, rather than specific individuals who can be conveniently locked away. They make little sound either and move with great dexterity around the school, a cross between monkeys and creepy free-runners from hell. Often appearing from above, they jump down behind their victims in a manner that recalls Aliens, lending the movie both an utterly original look and a truly horrible, nightmarish quality.

David Schofield is superb, in a rare and welcome lead role, and Roberts' camera makes the most of his grizzled, stress ravaged face, the camera lingering on his trauma in close-up. Both frustrating and tragic, it's refreshing to see such an emotionally complex and conflicted character at the centre of a genre piece like this. Elsewhere the supporting cast are also strong - in particular Eliza Bennett putting in a convincing turn as his troubled daughter, and Finlay Robertson providing some light relief as a sceptical and ineffective security guard.

Where the director does wisely follow Carpenter's work is in knowing when to hold back and when to go for all out bloody terror. Slowly building tension with largely unseen violence, it's mostly the (gruesome) aftermath that shocks. Empty school corridors and deserted class rooms are as frightening as the hoodies who may be lurking in the shadows. One of the most memorable scenes simply features an unmanned floor polisher bumping around the canteen, with implication trumping spectacle.

A resounding triumph, F builds on its premise expertly and maintains the pace throughout, culminating in an appalling emotional dilemna that encapsulates why it's a cut above and why Johannes Roberts is one to watch in the future.
The trailer seems to have been taken down, probably because the sound was missing earlier on.

Here's a trailer for upcoming Korean slasher, Bedevilled. Looks pretty good.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0314bf9FlQ?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0314bf9FlQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comedy Quaddafi

^ I've no doubt it'll look good and be worth the watch [Amer].

http://www.olivefilms.com/Mystery_Thril ... .5222.html
The American release will have to wait 'till March 2011. Apparently it was only shown in one small Parisian theater as well.

That K-horror looks right up my alley. very engaging and picturesque trailer. I think the authorities wanted to jail the director, IIRC.

I'm also excited about Neil Marshall returning to horror wit an underground extreme-cuisine cannibal movie. Fuck ya!

EDIT: Also http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horseman-DVD-Pe ... 001&sr=8-1
Horseman for an affordable price
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

I'm in geek-mode, giallo/edwige/frenchie .gifs for the people. I'll be updating as I make them :)

I like this one

- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

1. What Have They Done To Your Daughters (maybe?)
2. Martyrs
3. Strange Vice Of Mrs Wardh
4. no clue whatsoever, great though.

The Strange Vice Of Mrs Wardh OST
http://rapidshare.com/files/271561528/StrangeVice.rar

RIP Paula Shultz

Comedy Quaddafi

HA! 3 = All the Colors of the Dark, 1 is correct, 4 is La Pretora, Fulci sex-comedy.

I'm making some SVOMW .gifs now. That Nicolai score rivals the best Morricone scores IMO.

- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

:rofl: I originally had All The Colors Of The Dark instead of Strange Vice and changed it thinking I was wrong.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Holy Summerisle!

First teaser to The Wicker Tree
http://thewickertreemovie.com/webroot/v ... railer.php

Comedy Quaddafi

Very, very nice. It [WM] deserves a proper remake, if that's what they're trying to do(?) - a guy on the Bloodydisgusting forums argued the Nic Cage remake was better :grin:

Ivan laughs @ your futile punch

- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Comedy Quaddafi

Drawing blanks trying to ID

and this one is for the haters

:megaman:
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

1. Delirium
2. Anthropophagus
3. Return of the Living Dead 3

You still have Srpski Film on your HD? It's probably my number one movie of the year but I had to delete that shit after seeing it.

Comedy Quaddafi

There's so many movies called Delirium :lol:

I didn't delete Sprski Film but those .gifs were taken from youtube-clips. I'm not against seeing it again, although not in the near future, I might look away during some of the scenes. If a DVD comes out then I'll definitely buy it - if they're smart they'll give you the option of watching a cut version. The egg-tossing and armchair-psychology from people who haven't seen it is getting tedious, but then again, it's not as if Spasojevic and some of the fans aren't inviting it on themselves.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

This is the Delirium I'm referring to. Kind of a sleazy low grade giallo that's surprisingly grown on me a lot more with repeated viewings.

In other news - A ninth Hellraiser movie in the works, without Doug Bradley in it. Blasphemy! I'll only watch this if there's some fucking amazing looking cenobites.
While we're all still pretty shellshocked over the fact that Doug Bradley will not be back to play Pinhead in the latest flick in the Hellraiser franchise, Hellraiser: Revelations, the flick is still forging ahead and building its cast.

According to the pinnacle of truth that is IMDB the previously announced Peta Wilson will be joined by Steven Brand (as "Dr. Ross Craven"), Sanny Van Heteren (as "Kate Bradley"), Tracey Fairaway (as "Emma") and Daniel Buran (as "Vagrant") in Dimension Films' low budget sequel.

Click here for our character breakdown of who these folks are supposed to be and look for casting confirmation and more soon.

Victor Garcia will be at the directorial helm working from a script written by F/X maven Gary Tunnicliffe.

Early Plotline:
PINHEAD is back and in his chamber of soulless delights. He thought he had two willing participants in STEVEN and NICO. But Nico wants out and decides that a member of Steven's family will serve as proper barter. Terror ensues.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

just saw The Human Centipede today..is that considered horror

anyways a huge lmao to that movie

Dr Heiter needs a nobel prize

Comedy Quaddafi

It's certainly horror but with dark comedy elements. The Doc is what makes the movie.

Funny that Britain's new horror-icon is hooded kids, says a lot about the zeitgeist there perhaps.

- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/21636

Cool top 10 underrated horror list. Props for mentioning Tourist Trap. I'll have to check the others out, all of these look interesting.
- MB

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/21636

Cool top 10 underrated horror list. Props for mentioning Tourist Trap. I'll have to check the others out, all of these look interesting.
Onibaba is really really awesome btw

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Funny that Britain's new horror-icon is hooded kids, says a lot about the zeitgeist there perhaps.

Yeah, the UK media love the shit out of the whole psycho kiddie hysteria, that always makes the front page in the tabloids. Probably why Eden Lake got a good reception. I mentioned in a couple of earlier posts I have doubts over this movie, especially the awful "hoodie horror" tag. Coincidentally, this is the second killer kiddie flick with an actress that was a regular on Hollyoaks.

Here's a trailer for F (with sound this time)
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9q71ibercHM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9q71ibercHM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

So I was hunting around for some info on Nightmares (1980), a good looking Australian slasher from what I can tell and accidentally stumbled upon this US portmanteau from 1983 with Emilio Estevez, Lance Henriksen and Cristina Raines.

Anyone seen this?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thOncLexWDE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thOncLexWDE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Have you seen either of these? I'm intrigued...

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yep, Psychomania really isn't that great of a movie to be perfectly honest. The whole biker gang back from the dead is a really interesting concept but its a pretty average movie overall. Won't bother coppin it.

Vampire Circus on the other hand is a lovely slice of early 70's Hammer during it's erotica phase, up there with the Karnstein trilogy. Long out of print and pre ordering that before December, no fucking question.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I'll obviously take your word on Psychomania but that bums me about a bit because after reading up on it sounded awesome. I was going to buy it outright but maybe I'll download it instead.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I'll obviously take your word on Psychomania but that bums me about a bit because after reading up on it sounded awesome. I was going to buy it outright but maybe I'll download it instead.
Sorry dude, I didn't mean to put you off. I've seen Psychomania a couple of times on TV and I just found it really underwhelming - it did have a cool ending though. I'm really fond of the UK horror flicks from that era but Psychomania just didn't do it for me. I would advise you to download it first, who knows, you might appreciate it a lot more than I did.

Here's the trailer for the Severin release.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hf1wxg0s9Vs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hf1wxg0s9Vs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>