The Horror Movie Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Comedy Quaddafi

Re: The Horror Movie Thread

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

It's really good. Genuinely scary and a bit smart too. The lady who made the film was interviewed after the screening and she pissed me off a bit when talking about her motivations for making the film, but I won't hold it against her. We can maybe return to that when you've seen it, if you want.

Thinking back it's a bit like Freddy's Last Nightmare. Very similar in some ways.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Eli Roth does Cannibal Holocaust. I've been curious about this project for a few years and I'm guessing the whole return to jungle horror theme might kick off a new trend. Actually looking forward to this and I never thought I would say that about anything by Eli Roth, with the exception of Thanksgiving.

The Green Inferno

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

trailer is well done, im excited for it

aleph

Post by aleph »

For NYers, the annual Halloween horror film festival is here: http://www.filmlinc.com/films/series/scary-movies-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Curious about many of them, anyone see Angst (http://www.filmlinc.com/films/on-sale/angst" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)?

Comedy Quaddafi

Among the Living is pretty good and I want to see Starry Eyes.

Wouldn't recommend Angst to most viewers. It's an artsy moodpiece and a huge downer. You just see a guy freaking out for 80 minutes from what I remember.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Amsterdamned was cool, despite it ditching its slasher vibe first act and going full blown Van der Valk.

aleph

Post by aleph »

Thanks for the recs peops. Probably seeing the other "classics" too- The Pack and Reflection of Fear
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Wouldn't recommend Angst to most viewers. It's an artsy moodpiece and a huge downer. You just see a guy freaking out for 80 minutes from what I remember.
Figured as much. Skipping.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I still can't find the babadook to download and I guess its not playing around here anytime soon. Bummed.

Comedy Quaddafi

^ It's released on VOD 28th oct so you can check it out very soon
- MB

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Yeah I have been very impatiently waiting to get a hold of Babadook.

Every week I search for it.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It Follows trailer is finally out:

Been dying to see this all year.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Much better:

Kind of getting vibes of Cronenberg's Shivers based on the new trailer.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Eric Roberts :lol:

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

DIdn't love Babadook as much as I hoped but I still really liked it.

IT FOLLOWS however was fucking incredible IMO. I want to go to the theater and see it again.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

yeah i still don't see the hype on babadook. i wanted it to be good, but it seemed like a pretty standard modern horror movie with a lot of the same played out modern horror tropes.

"it follows" was good fun.
Last edited by intuition on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedy Quaddafi

Goodnight Mommy is this year's The Babadook for me.

It has really great tension and suffocating atmosphere. Some of the best child-acting I have seen as well. All of the shots are framed really well and it's generally also a feast for the eyes. Some scenes are true horror at its best.

I'm still not sure how I like the ending but it def. works.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Trailer looks good, wish there were english sub, though.

Don't think I've watched a german language horror movie since Rammbock.

Comedy Quaddafi

German horror peaked in the 1920's.

Blutgletscher (lol) also by Marvin Kren (Rammbock) is okay and there's the funny-awful teenslasher Anotomie.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

:lol: @ German horror peaking in the 1920's. I ought to check out some of those krimi films from the 60s. Didn't actually mind a few of Jörg Buttgereit's movies, despite being a bit too extreme. There's also that Andreas Schnaas fella, whose films I've intentionally avoided.

A few recent films in the unwatched pile. Hoping to get a chance to watch at least one or two this weekend:

Julia

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

The Canal

Wyrmwood

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

So A Girl Walked Home Alone at Night turned out to be an entertaining movie and not something catered only for pretentious foreign film hipsters. Actually toyed with the sort of character studies evident in most traditional spaghetti westerns; played out as one too. Gorgeous black and white cinematography, plus that soundtrack was so dope. Did have some pacing issues and a few loose ends here and there, but it didn't ruin my overall enjoyment of the film.

Also, this broad was perfection:

Comedy Quaddafi

Gonna have to check it out. Kinda thought it would be a Hipsters Only film.

This one has also been released recently and I don't think a trailer has been posted

- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I would say a hijab-wearing Iranian vampire on a skateboard is about as hipster as you could get. Still liked the film, though.

Cub looks cool.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Green Inferno got a new trailer and a proper release date. Crazy how long this has taken to get a proper release since Roth's latest film, Knock Knock, the remake to Death Game is also looming around the corner.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I feel like this might've been mentioned somewhere in here before. This trailer is great. Twitch had a very positive review of it from sundance but the fact the writer goes out of his way to mention this isn't strictly horror feels significant (clashes with the trailer too but that's just marketing strategy). I'm in either way, if it's more than just a really well appointed genre move all teh better.

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/01/sundance- ... essed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Watched this trailer over on Horror Addict's channel. I'm sold, it ticks all the boxes for me.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yo, CQ, have you seen this?

Når dyrene drømmer / When Animals Dream

Probably watching this at some point over the weekend.

Comedy Quaddafi

I honestly only remember hearing the title being referenced. Don't recall if it was promoted here at all. Lars Mikkelsen is a really good actor and Christoffer Boe being involved is also a good sign. The concept seems very similar to Boe's film Beast which was a thrilling little piece of artsy horror.

Only just discovered that Lisbon has a horror festival http://www.motelx.org/en/programme-and- ... all-venues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they're showing the latest Sono film http://www.motelx.org/en/films/tag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but other than that I'm out of the loop on upcoming stuff so not sure what else to pick. There's also a screening of The Editor which is supposed to be another giallo 'omage.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

When Animals Dream appears to be a mixed based on the few reviews I've read so far.

I kind of want to watch The Editor for the giallo film references, and ofc - Udo. It's out on home formats in a few days time.

Lots of references in this trailer:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Looking forward to both of these festive themed anthologies.

Tales of Halloween

Ten stories are woven together by their shared theme of Halloween night in an American suburb, where ghouls, imps, aliens and axe murderers appear for one night only to terrorize unsuspecting residents.

A Christmas Horror Story

Interwoven stories that take place on Christmas Eve, as told by one festive radio host: A family brings home more than a Christmas tree, a student documentary becomes a living nightmare, a Christmas spirit terrorises, Santa slays evil
Kind of crazy that there's another film out later this year involving the Krampus. Guess what it's called?

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

krampus out tomorrow!