Mission: Impossible IV

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

self

Post by self »

word they got sawyer up in this mug

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

I can't stop laughing after "the existence of the IMF is being denied". Kinda similar to denying the American government Imo. Don't think I'll be watching this.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Yohan wrote:I can't stop laughing after "the existence of the IMF is being denied". Kinda similar to denying the American government Imo. Don't think I'll be watching this.
It's directed by Brad Bird. I'd watch anything he makes.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Yohan wrote:I can't stop laughing after "the existence of the IMF is being denied". Kinda similar to denying the American government Imo. Don't think I'll be watching this.
u know they mean impossible missions force, not international monetary fund, right?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

bent

Post by bent »

A decent action flick. Not quite worthy of it's current 8.1 rating on IMDB. But still good.

I still prefer MI3, that villain (Philip Seymour Hoffman) is superior in every way. The villain in MI4 just doesn't seem all that scary.

A couple of plot holey things bothered me, but we'll get into that when everybody has seen it.

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

Philip seymour hoffman played a fucking awesome villain

None

Post by None »

Saw it in IMAX earlier with the Dark Knight Rises prologue. Loved both a whole lot.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

drizzle wrote:
u know they mean impossible missions force, not international monetary fund, right?
To be fair, I didn't. I have seen the first Mission Impossible back when it came out and I was real young, but I don't remember much of it.

Wow.

:copy:

Thanks for clearing this up though, I instantly like this movie 200% more.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Completely ridiculous, but really entertaining. Pegg is dope in it. The chick in the movie is smoking hot.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Completely ridiculous, but really entertaining. Pegg is dope in it. The chick in the movie is smoking hot.
agreed on all counts. Pegg and Cruise have no comedic chemistry but Pegg still does his job well enough. bad guy is bad, but not PSH.

a restrained, yet over the top espionage actioner with sufficient twists and turns before getting to a decently exciting climax.

girl is Paula Patton, from Idlewild. She does kick assholes.

the dust storm chase scene is pretty interesting, but they coulda done more with it. there is a decent amount of "oh, that's interesting" tech toys in this flick, including the eye-identifier. ASSASSIN *dead* :rofl:

Tom Cruise really fucks himself up in the movie. Good on him :cheers:

Ving Rhames, ninjas.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Completely ridiculous, but really entertaining. Pegg is dope in it. The chick in the movie is smoking hot.
yup. like bent said, it was okay. more mindless holiday weekend action fodder. love it.

Dap

Post by Dap »

throw logic out the window and this is a very entertaining movie

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

most entertaining flick so far in the series

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Not better than 1. Waaaaay better than 2. Slightly better than 3.

They added a comedy element to it that flowed pretty naturally. Over the top as always, but a great flick. Gonna enjoy watching it again on DVD. Renner needs to play a bad guy again tho'. I liked him in this, but his demeanor says villain to me. Patton's good cause she's a good actress, but I don't like her as a bad ass, but that doesn't mean shit to the movie. She was good.

I think the only way they fucked up was that the last two had such great villains, that this one just wasn't enough of a factor for me.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Couldn't stop staring at Pattons tittys in that India scene, looked hot as fuck

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

action scenes were god body like escaping from the prison & scaling the tower

it's true the villain was pretty vacuous but i didn't notice til somebody said it

my buddy told me that bad bitch is robin thicke's wife

im mad & jeal
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

And they're high school sweethearts. It pays to be a black guy trapped in a white man's body.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I saw it and thought it pretty much sucked.

The only redeeming quality was the chick that was in it. She gave me bonerz.

bent

Post by bent »

bent wrote:A couple of plot holey things bothered me, but we'll get into that when everybody has seen it.
SPOILERS:

Okay, since they had to give the bad guys the real launch codes and the assassin chick real diamonds... Why did they do the the whole complicated switcharo?.

Why didn't they just let them meet and then follow the bad guy afterwards?

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

As far as action movies go this was really good in my opinion. Maybe they could've kept it a little bit shorter. That's my only grudge.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

this movie had some amazing action but lacked good characters

bird is an ace at creating set pieces, as expected. his cartoon experience is directly responsible for some of the best moments (the door changing machine, running for the train trying to do the eye verify, the broken glove). given his light touch and complete disregard for realism in physical treatment of his screen subjects (also a trait of a cartoon maker), it's entirely possible that with a right script he can make the best/craziest bigbudget action movie since badboyz2. somebody put him in a room with shane black and don't let them come out till they turn in a racially reversed lethal weapon reboot with michael-jae white and clint eastwood

plot holes/general lack of plot didn't bother me, not a single one of these movies made shit of sense yet, first one included.

but there's not a single memorable character here, and that's what ultimately holds it back from true greatness. Pegg is funny by default, and the russian assassin girl is super hot by default, and that's it. Cruise is just there wingin it, Renner and the villain are horrifically wasted on respectively too much bitching and too little screen time, Paula Patton looks mostly uncomfortable and has serious man face. I didn't need depth or even real acting from any of these people, i don't really need to care for their characters, I just need somebody on screen who looks/acts engagingly badass or evil... none of them did it
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

drizzle wrote:Paula Patton looks mostly uncomfortable and has serious obama face.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

This

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

she looks like she's fighting a bad case of bitch mustache