The Fighter (Bale, Wahlberg)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

The Fighter (Bale, Wahlberg)

Post by Truth. »

terrible trailer music but it looks pretty good

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_zijS_UAtw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_zijS_UAtw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

ok now that i know the whole story... dont rly feel like i need to see it... i dont miss bale movies though so i guess i have to
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

FAZER

Post by FAZER »

Wahlberg playing Wahlberg, but looks like it could be a return to form for Bale. Who doesn't like boxing movies? Will check.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Damn, Bale looking halfway Machinist again.

procure uno

Post by procure uno »

got curious and did some googling: ward is a warrior

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZP-IfSZxl0?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZP-IfSZxl0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

1:50 Bale looks like Will Arnett. Serious method acting steeze.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Oh and this looks like it will be good. But I thought Aranofsky was supposed to direct this??

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

procure uno wrote:got curious and did some googling: ward is a warrior

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZP-IfSZxl0?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZP-IfSZxl0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST IN HEAVEN! :ohsh:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

You guys didn't watch any of the Ward/Gotti fights? They would stand in front of each other for twelve rounds and mercilessly mollywhop the shit out of each other's heads.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Employee wrote: They would stand in front of each other for twelve rounds and mercilessly mollywhop the shit out of each other's heads.
HA, true. This movie looks ill. Peep Bale right before he hits the cop.

procure uno

Post by procure uno »

Employee wrote:You guys didn't watch any of the Ward/Gotti fights? They would stand in front of each other for twelve rounds and mercilessly mollywhop the shit out of each other's heads.
i probably sat on youtube for a half hour watching high light reels. those dudes are going to be all muhammad ali'd out when they get older.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

procure uno wrote:
Employee wrote:You guys didn't watch any of the Ward/Gotti fights? They would stand in front of each other for twelve rounds and mercilessly mollywhop the shit out of each other's heads.
i probably sat on youtube for a half hour watching high light reels. those dudes are going to be all muhammad ali'd out when they get older.
Dude, Gatti's dead.

Versive

Post by Versive »

^and if I remember correctly Ward was already a little punchdrunk BEFORE those fights, so yea... he talks funny

I know at least their whole first fight is up on youtube. I'm planning to rewatch the trilogy later today if I can.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I've never liked boxing outside of watching Tyson fights growing up. I would always hate when I would forget that friday night fights or whatever day they were on would fuck up HBO programming.

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

The trailer gave away the entire movie, thankfully it looks horrible.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Great screencap on Bale, can't figure out which cartoon character he looks like, but I want to say it's some kind of kangaroo.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Trademark wrote:
procure uno wrote:got curious and did some googling: ward is a warrior

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST IN HEAVEN! :ohsh:
:shit:

I've never seen a round like that before.

Versive

Post by Versive »

^Yo, watch the whole fight. It's on youtube.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

:larry: at any respectable grown man who has not seen a ward/gotti fight.

Looks horrible, but will see because I'm a sucker for any boxing movie, any Bale movie, and Amy Adams non-existent but still arrousing sweaty bar scene cleavage.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

i thought Darren Aronofsky was supposed to direct this....

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Brougham33 wrote::larry: at any respectable grown man who has not seen a ward/gotti fight.
:owens:

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Moolah wrote:
Brougham33 wrote::larry: at any respectable grown man who has not seen a ward/gotti fight.
:owens:
For real though. Essential viewing for any sports fan. Gatti was a monster. RIP TRANNY KILLAH.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JU5Qh4F91Xw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JU5Qh4F91Xw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

ha ha, no question, rip to arturo gatti

this film will get copped

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

that second trailer i like. doesn't reveal too much. here's an interesting idea for the director's cut: bale plays both brothers
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Dids

Post by Dids »

I do not want to see movies with fucking Marky Mark's hack ass in them and I wish they'd stop doing this.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

<object id="vid_4cf5a10f2db5b95a3500b3c7" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/12/01/th ... /></object>

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

[quote="Armond white"]
Fighting For Class
David O. Russell surprises with a boxing movie that strips away nostalgia about the American Dream

Directed by David O. Russell
Runtime: 114 min.

Americans used to seeing trickedup versions of themselves in the movies (or degraded-by-narcissism versions on reality TV) will be startled at the honesty of David O. Russellג€™s The Fighter. Even I was thrown by the vivacity in Russellג€™s semirealistic account of Dicky Eklund, the Boston Irish welterweight tagged ג€œThe Pride of Lowell, Massachusettsג€; his younger sibling, the upcoming boxer Micky Ward; and their boisterous, blasted troop, which is an example of the social phenomenon known as a ג€œblended family.ג€ Dicky and Micky are half-brothers whose mother, Alice, gave birth to nine children, including seven sistersג€” who got nuttinג€™ to do with them prestigious Ivy League colleges for girls.

At first I thought the sharp accents, bad grammar and worse behavior were extremeג€”like Christian Baleג€™s impersonation of down-and-out, emaciated crackhead Dicky (heג€™s first seen introducing his baby brother to an HBO camera crew shooting him for a documentary) and Melissa Leoג€™s impersonation of bottle-blond Alice, a tough-broad matriarch projecting her dreams through her boysג€™ macho athletics. Bale has done grandstanding hollow-eyed body-alteration before (in the tasteless The Machinist), and I didnג€™t trust Leo since her super-pathetic working-class martyr in the completely awful Frozen River. It took a while to notice that, this time, these actorsג€™ thorough commitment was being put to unpretentious use.

Dicky, Alice and the rest magnify the behavioral truth of white-trash stereotypes; their screw-ups are outrageous, recognizable and hilariousג€”a New England version of the downright low-life hillbillies in John Fordג€™s still-neglected 1941 Tobacco Road, an artful exculpation of the record-breaking Broadway hit comedy that ridiculed Southern class defects. New Englander Ford recognized the types, relocated his sensibility and imbued them with his extraordinary American grace. Thatג€™s the only precedent for Russellג€™s remarkable achievement.

Throughout The Fighter, Russellג€™s camera is perched slightly distant and above the action. Itג€™s an awed perspective: taking in the ghetto atmosphere, yet never being taken-in by itג€”or by the ideological prejudices that prevent white Americans from ever calling it ג€œthe ghetto.ג€ That mainstream media pretense is a form of denying the political basis of class differences that separate Lowell from Cambridge. Russell imparts this political awareness to his story of a familyג€™s struggles while keeping his perspective rigorous and balanced enough to sharpen his actors and avoid dramatic excess.

When young Mickyג€™s sports career (at first managed by Alice and coached by Dicky) begins to follow his depraved brotherג€™s past, he gets pulled away from family influence by Charlene, a barmaid he meets and falls in love with. Mark Wahlberg and Amy Adams, who are pretty, play these roles with romantic commitment, but theyג€™re also straightforward. Micky looks at Charlene like sheג€™s great, a prize. Sheג€™s sexy and street-tough (a recent high-school athlete) like he is, with the guts to oppose his family and push him toward achievement. Itג€™s fulfillment, if not success, she has partied and drank away in her own life. Wahlberg and Adamsג€™ exuberance recalls the charisma Daniel Day-Lewis and Emily Watson had as the bright-eyed couple in Jim Sheridanג€™s The Boxer. Some of Sheridanג€™s humanist fidelity to the combined truth of social status and personal ambition is apparent in the conflict that erupts with Micky and Charleneג€™s withdrawal from neighborhood and cultural routine. Like Sheridan, Russell keeps family bonds believably intactג€” especially in Micky and Dickyג€™s brotherly rapport and in the extraordinary moment Alice and Dicky commiserate over a Bee Gees song, a pop lament for the defeat of two generations.

The song choice is so smart, it might be a bit too uncanny. But that risk is inseparable from Russellג€™s intelligence and sensitivity. Russellג€™s habit of remaking himself with every film is part of his fresh approach to subjects that other filmmakers have degraded. The Fighter is an alert artistג€™s version of the Boston Irish movie clich

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

fuck...that sucks..

Versive

Post by Versive »

Ny Times review seems more positive http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/mo ... es&emc=a28

Kind of upset to hear that the Gotti fights aren't part of the film.