Underrated Character Actors

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Underrated Character Actors

Post by Philaflava »

I don't know if you technically call PBH a character actor, but to me he is severely underrated. I always dig his appearances. Paul Thomas Anderson seems to have a hard-on for him as well.

Philip Baker Hall

aleph

Post by aleph »

Just from his turn as the library cop on Seinfeld alone makes him one of the best. "I got a flash for ya, joyboy!"

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

giancarlo esposito, he was estoban in that movie fresh and the black detective in usual suspects and numerous other movies, he's a sick actor wit a wide acting range, he can play damn near any character like samuel l jackson and viggo mortenson

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

Giancarlo is that dude..."workin for Esteban, b!!!!"

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Buggin' Out made him GOAT status brohams.

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

A Kid wrote:Giancarlo is that dude..."workin for Esteban, b!!!!"
ha ha, and you know this, "i'm workin for esteban b", ha ha, no question

and the bit were estaban is breaking down the diffrence between shottin(selling) brown and shottin rocks to fresh and estaban gives it about how the crack games too violent and then he breaks it down about the brown game "the competition is unconfrontational , the clientele is peace loving, you can grow old and be the man until your 50's & 60's and the best thing is you don't have to pay no taxes, an then you can retire yourself to somewhere in miami or sumthin", ha ha, that shit was crazy, that brother was breaking it down like he was breaking down the science on general motors or sumthin, or ford, he was breaking down that science, ha ha, crazy shit

and the bit when fresh trys to get esteban to hire chuckee to work for him and esteban gives it, "why should i hire you" and chuckee says "because i got them dope moves, i buz them dope moves", ha ha, that was funny shit, that chuckee brother was funny man, crazy and estaban tells him to go make himself a coke or pepsi or sumthin, ha ha, thats a sick movie

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Elias Koteas

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

never knew who giancarlo was before but i remember both those performances. his obsession with fresh kid's sister is creepy.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

^Cooper killed his role in The Town

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i'm really glad to see shannon go from super underrated to actually getting recognition and good parts. him and casey affleck (also finally coming into his own) got the 'weird dead eye 1000 yard stare' acting on lock
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

recently got caught up with Justified and it would be pretty easy to make a compelling argument for anyone who guest-starred in an episode of that, but Stephen Root and Alan Ruck are especially phenomenal in everything they're in
moved by duck muscles

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If they ever do a Nirvana movie, Ruck should play Novoselic,

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:never knew who giancarlo was before but i remember both those performances. his obsession with fresh kid's sister is creepy.
yeah no question, when he asked fresh if his big sister is a freak was kinda feisty and creepy at the same time

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Sankofa wrote:^Cooper killed his role in The Town
Yeah he did. So many great character actors in The Town, fwiw.

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

i'm gonna have to cop this 'the town' movie on pirate, i heard slaine's in it too, the reviews on tv seem to be good for it aswell, see how south boston gets down, ha ha

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

does Phillip Seymour Hoffman count? he kinda plays similar chacters but he can go from jolly weird guy to rage-filled ready to rip a head off..

cant forget the homie William H Macy

Funkdoobiest

Post by Funkdoobiest »

Elias Koteas reminds me a lot of a younger De Niro

Stanley Tucci (if he counts)

Luiz Guzman

Bob Gunton

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

william defoe is a next good character actor, from a army guy in 'platoon' to cia guy in 'clear & present danger' to counter feit forgery gangster in 'to live & die in la' to drug lord in 'once upon a time in mexico', to commercial blockbuster comic book movies like 'spiderman', that brother gets down and he does it wit authenticity and skill, yes surr

Funkdoobiest

Post by Funkdoobiest »

Surely Dafoe cannot count as underrated.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Funkdoobiest wrote:Surely Dafoe cannot count as underrated.
Certainly can when people are listing Guzman, PSH and William H. Macy. Throw in John Malkovich and Christopher Walken and you have a nice list of the most celebrated character actors.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Liev Schreiber, how the dude's not a movie star is beyond me.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Keith David is the man. It seems like he's in pretty much every movie.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Sankofa wrote:Liev Schreiber, how the dude's not a movie star is beyond me.
Agree completely. He fucking kills everything.

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

Blockhead wrote:Keith David is the man. It seems like he's in pretty much every movie.
keith david is a good underated actor, but he hasen't done that much roles outside from doing thugged out characters, thugged out brothers, you get what i'm saying and don't get me twisted, he does them roles wit perfection, og status, but what wide range of roles has that brother been allowed to do or chosen to do other than those types, maybe i'm missing some of his movies, because i can only think of 'the thing' and thats it

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Gregg Henry

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

LONDON! wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Keith David is the man. It seems like he's in pretty much every movie.
keith david is a good underated actor, but he hasen't done that much roles outside from doing thugged out characters, thugged out brothers, you get what i'm saying and don't get me twisted, he does them roles wit perfection, og status, but what wide range of roles has that brother been allowed to do or chosen to do other than those types, maybe i'm missing some of his movies, because i can only think of 'the thing' and thats it
Something About Mary?

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

Philaflava wrote:
LONDON! wrote:
Something About Mary?
that film wit cameron diaz, ben stiller & matt dillon?

if it is, i can't remember him in it, damn, i mean i saw that film on tv time ago, i'll just have to wait for it to come on tv again, its not the type of film i'd buy from hmv or sumthin, but it was decent and funny in places, thats what i remember anyway, ha ha

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'm pretty sure Ben Stiller is a fan and used for some of his movies too.

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

Philaflava wrote:I'm pretty sure Ben Stiller is a fan and used for some of his movies too.
thats probably why i've missed these varied roles keith david's done, because other than 'meet the parents' and 'something about mary' and not really into stiller's type of comedy's, so my bad, its good to see heads are up on keith david's top notch acting game and giving him them checks you know