The Man Of Steel (Directed by Zack Snyder)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

The Man Of Steel (Directed by Zack Snyder)

Post by Truth. »

UPDATE & EXCLUSIVE: I just spoke with Zack Snyder, who confirms that as soon as he completes post on Sucker Punch, he'll move right into Warner Bros' long awaited next Man of Steel movie in development with Chris Nolan and David Goyer. "I've been a big fan of the character for a long time, he's definitely the king of all superheroes, he's the one," Snyder, who directed Watchmen and 300, told me. "It's early yet, but I can tell you that what David and Chris have done with the story so far definitely has given me a great insight into a way to make him feel modern. I've always felt he was kind of awesome. I'll finish Sucker Punch and get right at it."

EXCLUSIVE: Zack Snyder has been chosen to direct the new installment of Superman for Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures. Snyder was on a short list of directors that I recently revealed met with the studio as well as producers Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas. Other choices at the time included helmers Tony Scott, Matt Reeves, Jonathan Liebesman, and Duncan Jones. I think Snyder is an inspired choice. He is a cornerstone filmmaker for Warner Bros., a visual stylist whose efforts for the studio include 300, Watchmen, and the upcoming Suckerpunch. Deadline revealed back on February 9 that the DC Comics stalwart Superman became a priority project when Nolan agreed to godfather it. He and Goyer hatched the story and Goyer wrote the script. The new Superman's producers also include Chuck Roven and Deborah Snyder while co-financer Legendary Pictures' Thomas Tull will serve as executive producer.
Last edited by Truth. on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

With Zack Snyder confirmed to direct Superman, questions about the film have turned to other topics: who will star, and what will the film be about? The second question has a vague answer now, as Mr. Snyder has said that the film is not a remake or based on any particular comic, and will feature the characterג€™s early days.

The director talked to the French site Films Actu, and a translation of the printed comments says:
As I have already explained, the film will focus on early days of Superman, so there will be no links with other films. This is not a remake then. Similarly, although I still can not talk about the script, I can assure you that this new Superman will not be based on a comic book in particular.
So does this mean (groan) weג€™re in for another telling of the origin, or is the idea more to take the same path that Sony is taking with Spider-Man and cast a bit younger, to hopefully pull in a young audience? And by early days is this Smallville-type stuff, or looking into the characterג€™s first years in Metropolis?

We donג€™t know, but there have been comments from the director that an appearance by Superman II villain General Zod is just a rumor.

And with respect to the last man to play Superman, Brandon Routh, Zack Snyder said that the actor was unlikely to return. But when AICN talked to the actor a few months back he said heג€™d been contacted by Legendary and was starting to train again. This is before Mr. Snyder was tapped to direct, so itג€™s possible that things have changed, but at that point the actor seemed to want the role. (Surprise.) If the idea is to go with a younger version of the character, however, a recast will almost certainly take place. So why hasnג€™t the inevitable ג€œZack Snyder and Warner Bros. wantsג€¦ג€ shortlist been leaked yet?

citizen

Post by citizen »

superman is the least interesting comic book character

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Over/under for how much of the movie will be in slow-motion?
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/henry-c ... -superman/
EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures have found their new Man of Steel. Deadline had been hearing for the past weeks that British actor Henry Cavill was the frontrunner for the much coveted Clark Kent/Superman role in this much anticipated reboot. But as of last week, Warner Bros film chief Jeff Robinov hadn't seen Cavill's or the other screentests and made his decision in recent days. Repped by CAA, Cavill just wrapped production on The Cold Light of Day and stars in the upcoming Immortals, opening this fall. Directed by Tarsem Sing, Caville in Immortals plays the he-man Greek warrior Theseus who battles mythological gods including Poseidon, Zeus, Minotaur, and Herecles. Given that set up, Warner Bros clearly has chosen a more macho leading man for Superman than the previous Brandon Routh. And just like it did with Christian Bale in the Batman reboot, the studio has gone with a British actor. In fact, Cavill also auditioned for the Batman role but lost out to Bale in 2005. He also was a contender for James Bond but was deemed too young and lost out to Daniel Craig. Clearly, Cavill is a franchise waiting to happen. He also has a past with Superman. Before Bryan Singer came on to direct Superman Returns and cast Brandon Routh, Cavill had been one of the frontrunner choices for directers Brett Ratner and McG when they were going to helm the picture. That Superman was younger, and this time, the intention was to cast an actor near 30. Cavill, who will be 28 this year, was born in the Channel Islands and his film credits include The Count Of Monte Cristo.

The new film from Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures is being produced by Christopher Nolan and directed by Zack Snyder, who made this statement: ג€œIn the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen. I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.ג€ Warner Bros, Nolan, and Snyder cast a "wide net" to find the next Man of Steel. Last November, insiders told Deadline that the studio was open to creating a star as it rebooted the Superman franchise: specifically, that the actor would either be a discovery or on TV but likely someone who isn't well known yet. And he'd be in the age range of 28-to-32. The studio considered hundreds of young actors before making a decision just like Sony Pictures did before choosing Andrew Garfield. There was buzz on actors like Armie Hammer, the strapping 6'5" actor, and Tyler Winklevoss, who was eyed to play Batman in a Justice League movie that Mad Max helmer George Miller was poised to direct, and True Blood's Joe Manganiello, who claimed during a recent movie junket that he'd been considered, and Ian Somerhalder of The Vampire Diaries.

While the Batman films have been populated by established stars Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, and now Christian Bale, Superman has always lent itself to discoveries. Christopher Reeve was a find in the Salkind franchise, as was Brandon Routh in the Bryan Singer-directed Superman Returns. (Before Routh got the job, Matt Bomer was eyed seriously by almost-directors McG and Brett Ratner.) Even on the small screen, the original Superman TV series star George Reeves and Smallville's Tom Welling and Lois & Clark's Dean Cain were discoveries. The lone exception we can recall was the time that Tim Burton tried to put together a Superman film with Nicolas Cage, an effort that failed because the budget became so high. And then Josh Hartnett was courted during the Ratner version (that got scrapped when Singer took over), but Hartnett didn't take the role, even though he stood to potentially make $100 million for three pictures if all had been made. Trust us, the new guy is going to get hired on the cheap.

Other producers include Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, and Deborah Snyder. The screenplay is being written by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers. The new Superman is targeted for release in December 2012.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

If it's the origin story again I will flip out!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Trademark wrote:If it's the origin story again I will flip out!
Prepare to flip out, because it certainly sounds like an origin story since Kev is going to be Superman's adoptive dad.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/115/1156355p1.html
Kevin Costner Flies to Superman
UPDATED: Oscar winner up, up and away for reboot.

It's been a few weeks since the rumors first surfaced, but Oscar winner Kevin Costner is said to be all but officially announced as playing Jonathan Kent in the Superman reboot.

Deadline claims that the JFK and Dances With Wolves actor has signed a deal to play Superman's adoptive father. He will join the previously announced cast members Henry Cavill as Superman and Diane Lane as Jonathan's wife, Martha Kent.

The site adds that it doubts Viggo Mortensen can play General Zod is he also commits to starring in Universal's Snow White and the Huntsman.

Zack Snyder will direct with Christopher Nolan producing. The new Superman film is slated for a December 2012 release.

UPDATE: Warner Bros. have now officially announced Costner's casting as Pa Kent. In a press release, Snyder stated: "Jonathan Kent is the only father figure Clark has ever had, the man who was there to help Clark understand what he was meant to do in the world as Superman. Kevin will be able to communicate the quiet strength of this rural American man who raised the greatest super hero of all time."

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Spartan wrote:
Trademark wrote:If it's the origin story again I will flip out!
Prepare to flip out, because it certainly sounds like an origin story since Kev is going to be Superman's adoptive dad.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/115/1156355p1.html
Kevin Costner Flies to Superman
UPDATED: Oscar winner up, up and away for reboot.

It's been a few weeks since the rumors first surfaced, but Oscar winner Kevin Costner is said to be all but officially announced as playing Jonathan Kent in the Superman reboot.

Deadline claims that the JFK and Dances With Wolves actor has signed a deal to play Superman's adoptive father. He will join the previously announced cast members Henry Cavill as Superman and Diane Lane as Jonathan's wife, Martha Kent.

The site adds that it doubts Viggo Mortensen can play General Zod is he also commits to starring in Universal's Snow White and the Huntsman.

Zack Snyder will direct with Christopher Nolan producing. The new Superman film is slated for a December 2012 release.

UPDATE: Warner Bros. have now officially announced Costner's casting as Pa Kent. In a press release, Snyder stated: "Jonathan Kent is the only father figure Clark has ever had, the man who was there to help Clark understand what he was meant to do in the world as Superman. Kevin will be able to communicate the quiet strength of this rural American man who raised the greatest super hero of all time."

:jazcas:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

in the hands of a more nuanced director, the idea of a milfy martha kent could be incredible. but here we'll just get diane lane bending over in slow motion, which is ok too
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Oh shit, Drizzle's favorite bitch is going to be Lois Lane.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... nyder.html

Amy Adams brings experience, and a modern spin, to Lois Lane in 'Superman: Man of Steel'

March 27, 2011 | 8:18 pm

My colleague Geoff Boucher broke the news earlier today that Amy Adams will play Lois Lane in "Superman: Man of Steel," Zack Snyder's reboot of the superhero franchise.

Among other things, the news represents a departure from some of the other superhero roles of late, which have tended to go to lesser-knowns. (Superman himself will of course be played by Henry Cavill, a relative newcomer to the big screen.)

The Adams casting also comes at a time when the actress has been headed to a more dramatic place.

After a career of largely sweet and sunny roles ("Junebug," "Enchanted," "Leap Year" and "Julie & Julia"; "Doubt" remains the major exception), Adams showed more dramatic chops as a tough-as-nails Lowell, Mass., bartender in "The Fighter," which garnered her her third Oscar nomination. Incidentally, Adams is more experienced at this point in her career than Margot Kidder, who when she was cast as Lois in the 1978 "Superman" in her late 20s had mostly genre movies under her belt.

Kidder, like the original Golden Age comics character, brought a more thick-skinned approach to Lois ג€” in Adams terms, it was more Charlene Fleming than Giselle.

Which way Adams tilts the Superman character remains to be seen. Snyder does tell Boucher that, for all the attention to the original source material, he wants Lois, like Superman, to have a modern appeal, "relevant and real and ... empathetic to todayג€™s audience."

ג€” Steven Zeitchik

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

[quote]Michael Shannon to Star as General Zod in ג€œMan of Steelג€ From Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Michael Shannon will star in the role of General Zod in director Zack Snyderג€™s new Superman film, titled ג€œMan of Steel.ג€

Snyder stated, ג€œZod is not only one of Supermanג€™s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others donג€™t. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role.ג€

As General Zod, Shannon will go toe-to-toe with Henry Cavill, who plays the new Clark Kent/Superman in the film. The main cast also includes Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent.

Michael Shannon was honored with an Academy Award

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I was really hoping the rumor about Viggo Mortensen being General Zod to turn out to be true.

jvg

Post by jvg »

citizen wrote:superman is the least interesting comic book character

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Russell Crowe flies to 'Man of Steel'
Aussie thesp to reprise role Brando took in '78 for WB's Superman reboot
By Justin Kroll

Ever since he agreed to oversee the franchise reboot of Superman, Christopher Nolan had been seeking a star for the role of Jor-El, Superman's biological father.

Nolan now has his man: Russell Crowe.

Crowe is in negotiations for the key role in "Man of Steel," which has Zack Snyder on board to direct for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. Brit thesp Henry Cavill is set to play Superman. Warner Bros. declined to comment on the talks with Crowe.

Amy Adams, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane and Michael Shannon are already set for the pic. David Goyer penned the script and developed the story with Nolan, who has kept plot details under wraps, as usual.

Charles Roven will produce along with Emma Thomas, Nolan and Deborah Snyder. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips will exec produce for Legendary.

With production set to start next month, Jor-El was one of the last roles to cast, though they also are looking for a name to play Superman's biological mother.

Marlon Brando played the part of Jor-El in Richard Donner's 1978 rendition of "Superman." Other thesps who were pursued for the "Man of Steel" role included Sean Penn and Clive Owen.

Crowe is currently filming "The Man With the Iron Fists" for Universal.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That last line is great news. So curious to see a full length feature directed by RZA and glad to hear it's not just a pipe dream.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

pretty sure rza's movie is almost done at this point, i remember something about them wrapping up principal photograpy

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Had no idea it was that so far ahead. Very cysed to be honest.

None

Post by None »

Spartan wrote:Had no idea it was that so far ahead. Very cysed to be honest.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Can't believe that Rza is making the feature length adaptation of

Should be DOPE!

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

I think this movie is going to suck, in part because almost every Superman movie sucks, but specifically because DC and Warner Bros. want to inundate the audience with so much stupid fucking retarded back story.

When I first read that this would be more about Supes' early years, I was a little heartened. For the first several years of the Superman comic, he was just some dude who doffed his nerd threads to clobber the shit out of gangsters and ne'er-do-wells. No ability to fly indefinitely, no heat vision or super hearing or any of that shit, and he wasn't spinning MX missiles on one pinky while yodeling. He was just an unnaturally strong dude with a moral sensibility. And not uber-moral, either. He killed a few villains in the first year of publication.

While the creators (Siegel and Shuster) did eventually give him an origin as the last member of an exploded planet, there wasn't all this preponderance on Kryptonian backstory. That all came in the 1950s and 1960s, when comic books were tamed by the Comics Code Authority and read more like treatises from a retarded Mr. Wizard. It was an incredibly shitty time in comics, when Batman had Ace the Bat Hound, Superman split into red and blue versions of himself (a stupid theme that would be handled even more poorly in the late 90s), and the most popular titles were Western and romance comics. It's a time that should be looked at with some skepticism, a time upon which we can make lots of wry commentary, but nothing we should go back to.

It's the same thing, apparently, with the Green Lantern movie. At the core, it's about a hapless dude who can make shapes with his magic ring. All of that alien backstory about the intergalactic police force came later--like Superman's origin, mentioned in the early years but developed later on by nerds and continuity overlords. Maybe this movie will be supremely popular for an extended period and I'll have to eat my words, but if it flops after this weekend as I expect it to, it will be because Warner Bros. tried to tell the whole story, soup to nuts, of Green Lantern, instead of reeling people in with the basics and developing the story in potential later films. I predict a similar thing will happen with Superman, we'll spend so much time watching him talk to a shimmering image of Russell Crowe in a robe, there will be precious little time left to watch Superman throw a car at someone. An interesting way to reboot Superman might be to tell the story of his first, tentative steps out of Smallville, when he begins saving people in Metropolis discreetly but then reveals himself after Lois Lane keeps muckraking to discover his identity.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Spartan wrote:I was really hoping the rumor about Viggo Mortensen being General Zod to turn out to be true.
This would've been great.
drizzle wrote:pretty sure rza's movie is almost done at this point, i remember something about them wrapping up principal photograpy
My dick moved.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

regg nailed it

also, in the grand scheme of things, how do you not cast Brian Cox as jor el

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Tangent, I know but I'm curious to how Reggie feels about how Marvel has handled Logan/Wolverine's origin story and the overall history of the Weapon Plus program that they handled in the New X-men stories earlier in the past decade.

None

Post by None »

drizzle wrote:regg nailed it

also, in the grand scheme of things, how do you not cast Brian Cox as jor el
How do you not cast Brian Cox in everything?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

very true

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Henry Cavill Talks Nutrition, The Superman Costume And Being True To The 'Man of Steel'

Superman is one of those characters who really should be a physically intimidating force. He doesn't have to be a juggernaut or anything, but the actor who's playing him needs to embody the powerful alien in some manner.

Actor, Henry Cavill takes on the role in the upcoming, 'Man of Steel.' Standing at about 6'1, he definitely has the height, but how about the weight? In an interview with Total Film, Cavill talked about what he has been doing to craft his body into one worthy of being called "super." He said:

"Iג€™m on 5000 calories a dayג€¦ Youג€™ve got to eat protein first, then a little bit of carbsג€¦youג€™ve gotta keep your hunger levels going. Iג€™m training two and a half hours a day, pushing my body beyond its normal limits, putting on a lot of muscle mass and just making myself look like Superman."

Fans are very eager to see Cavill in the suit. That may or may not happen in the near future, but the actor spoke about it, saying:

"Itג€™s extremely cool. Thereג€™s no other feeling like it. They just put it on, I turned around and look in the mirror and you canג€™t really play it cool ג€“ you sort of guffaw and laugh. I thought 'OK, holy hell, this is real, itג€™s not a joke anymore. This is itג€¦youג€™re doing it, youג€™re right in the middle of it.'"

Cavill was tight-lipped concerning the plot, but he said that he's "being as true as I can be to the original character and who the character is." When speaking with io9, he revealed which comics precisely helped him to prepare for the character he's to play. He said:

"I did love Superman: Doomsday The Death of Superman, Superman Returns, The New Krypton Saga especially, Red Son. Red Son was cool because it had the alternate story line. A lot of them I love, but recently, the one I read most recently was The New Krypton Saga, and I really enjoyed that."

In addition to Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman, 'Man of Steel' features Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Michael Shannon as General Zod, Antje Traue as Faora, Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent, Diane Lane as Martha Kent, and the newly announced, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White.

With '300,' 'Watchmen' and 'Sucker Punch' director, Zack Snyder at the helm, the film hits theaters on June 14, 2013.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Reggie wrote:I think this movie is going to suck, in part because almost every Superman movie sucks, but specifically because DC and Warner Bros. want to inundate the audience with so much stupid fucking retarded back story.

When I first read that this would be more about Supes' early years, I was a little heartened. For the first several years of the Superman comic, he was just some dude who doffed his nerd threads to clobber the shit out of gangsters and ne'er-do-wells. No ability to fly indefinitely, no heat vision or super hearing or any of that shit, and he wasn't spinning MX missiles on one pinky while yodeling. He was just an unnaturally strong dude with a moral sensibility. And not uber-moral, either. He killed a few villains in the first year of publication.

While the creators (Siegel and Shuster) did eventually give him an origin as the last member of an exploded planet, there wasn't all this preponderance on Kryptonian backstory. That all came in the 1950s and 1960s, when comic books were tamed by the Comics Code Authority and read more like treatises from a retarded Mr. Wizard. It was an incredibly shitty time in comics, when Batman had Ace the Bat Hound, Superman split into red and blue versions of himself (a stupid theme that would be handled even more poorly in the late 90s), and the most popular titles were Western and romance comics. It's a time that should be looked at with some skepticism, a time upon which we can make lots of wry commentary, but nothing we should go back to.

It's the same thing, apparently, with the Green Lantern movie. At the core, it's about a hapless dude who can make shapes with his magic ring. All of that alien backstory about the intergalactic police force came later--like Superman's origin, mentioned in the early years but developed later on by nerds and continuity overlords. Maybe this movie will be supremely popular for an extended period and I'll have to eat my words, but if it flops after this weekend as I expect it to, it will be because Warner Bros. tried to tell the whole story, soup to nuts, of Green Lantern, instead of reeling people in with the basics and developing the story in potential later films. I predict a similar thing will happen with Superman, we'll spend so much time watching him talk to a shimmering image of Russell Crowe in a robe, there will be precious little time left to watch Superman throw a car at someone. An interesting way to reboot Superman might be to tell the story of his first, tentative steps out of Smallville, when he begins saving people in Metropolis discreetly but then reveals himself after Lois Lane keeps muckraking to discover his identity.
I somehow missed this post before and know NOTHING of this back story.

Awesome post. thanks, man.

alpha

Post by alpha »

wait, if you dont tell a backstory for half a movie doesn't that = "Hancock"

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

He looks like Vinnie Taglialucci from Carlito's Way in those pics.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Spartan wrote:He looks like a gigantic faggot in those pics.
Fixed