Cancelling Cable

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

PopeyeJones

Cancelling Cable

Post by PopeyeJones »

Moved to borkistan for a couple months and having a TV here is pointless. After having subsisted off downloads for a month, seriously considering cutting cable out of my life when I get back.

Anyone else made the switch fully over to downloading? Figuring for my $4 a month hotfile account I can save 100 bucks a month with essentially zero impact on my viewing habits. Easy as hell to stream sports in HD at this point too.

Anyone else made this switch? Regretted it for a reason I haven't thought of?

Note: this isn't a faggy Kill-Your-Television thread. It's a Jewy Why-Have-I-Been-Paying-For-This-Shit thread.

Note II: shitty thread, I know.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

For the basic hidef digital cable package with HBO from Comcast I pay like $140 a month, which is fucking ridiculous. Only reason I never get rid of it is because I need Comcast to watch the Phillies.

Maybe I'll try this too after the season's over.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I like the convenience of the DVR. I refuse to watch commercials if I don't have to. I too have Comcast and pay $105 per month which includes internet, HD, and every premium channel available. Relying on the internet for sports is not fun either. But I couldn't cut it off because I'm sure my wife would not be thrilled watching her shows on the internet or having to hook up the PC to the TV.

If I were a college kid or somebody who lived alone and wasn't always home I'd probably entertain the idea.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Philaflava wrote:I too have Comcast and pay $105 per month which includes internet, HD, and every premium channel available.
Damn, I wish I got it that cheap. I got Comcast that includes internet, two HD DVR boxes, HBO, STARZ, and nfl redzone and I'm paying $187 per a month.

I was thinking about making the switch but it trying to find sports online is holding me back too.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Philaflava wrote:I like the convenience of the DVR. I refuse to watch commercials if I don't have to. I too have Comcast and pay $105 per month which includes internet, HD, and every premium channel available. Relying on the internet for sports is not fun either. But I couldn't cut it off because I'm sure my wife would not be thrilled watching her shows on the internet or having to hook up the PC to the TV.

If I were a college kid or somebody who lived alone and wasn't always home I'd probably entertain the idea.
I just stream directly to the TV through my xbox and windows 7. couldn't be easier. Commercials are already edited out on all the shows I download.

I guess it's easier if you're on the West Coast (shows are up to download from the east coast feeds before they even air on the West Coast) and if you're not a baseball or basketball fan (I'm NFL only, 16 games, sometimes not on in my area). Worth checking out the HD feeds for sports if you haven't already, though (maybe this is primarily an NFL thing?).

It has also had the same impact that DVR has, meaning, I'm watching even less bullshit that I couldn't care less about, which ends up being nice.

Point taken though about the wife. Save for football (me) and Mad Men (her) my wife and I watch the exact same television, so I don't have that problem. If your wife is watching a lot of bullshit, you might end having to download it for her.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

yeah, I don't have a TV. Everything I watch is streaming online.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

oh, and I split my internet bill with roommates so my entire tv/movie/internet charge= 10 bucks a month.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

I only have comcast for internet

i have direct tv and with hbo i only pay like 86.00$ a month, but i have the nonstandard cable package.

i also mostly have direct tv for nfl ticket. if i ever move back to californai i will probably still have direct tv, because their service is the best.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

i havent had any kind of tv service for about 5 years. dont miss it.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Philaflava wrote:I too have Comcast and pay $105 per month which includes internet, HD, and every premium channel available. .
Why is yours so much cheaper? With internet I'm paying out almost $180/month and I only get HBO.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I too have Comcast and pay $105 per month which includes internet, HD, and every premium channel available. .
Why is yours so much cheaper? With internet I'm paying out almost $180/month and I only get HBO.
I had Adelphia prior to Comcast having a monopoly, so I'm grandfathered in with the prices. My bill was actually under $100 until Comcast started charging for DVR services. However, I think prices are different in each region. Like you get a lot more local channels because of Comcast Sports.

frank b

Post by frank b »

Got rid of it right after the Super Bowl. Only thing wife and I miss is college football.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Tom, do you have the triple play (cable, internet, phone)? I have that, 4 hdtvs and 1 dvr. HBO and the sports package are my premium services, all for about $195.

Natural, I thought you can control a DVR through any TV on Comcast now, that's what they say on the commercials.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

i need cable for my sports.

if there was a way to just have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNews, FOX Sports Net, Versus, YES, MSG, SNY, NESN, NBA TV, MLB Network, NFL Network, Tennis Channel, CNN, TNT, TBS, and USA.....I would do it. I could use downloads to supplement anything else I would watch on TV.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

frank b wrote:Got rid of it right after the Super Bowl. Only thing wife and I miss is college football.
same here. then got it back for the week 1 of the NFL. Basically I pay for espn only.

Deviant283

Post by Deviant283 »

where can you stream sports in HD?

phil connors

Post by phil connors »

Deviant283 wrote:where can you stream sports in HD?
Yea, I'm looking for something myself. This damn Fox-Cablevision dispute has left me without any football to watch.

Can anybody help a brother out?

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

Justin.tv streams HD, but it's shoddy.

you can try this too

http://www.myp2p.eu/

but again ,shoddy at times.

i'm not sure it's HD, it wasn't when i used it a few years ago. it might be now.

Gregg Popabitch

phil connors wrote:
Deviant283 wrote:where can you stream sports in HD?
Yea, I'm looking for something myself. This damn Fox-Cablevision dispute has left me without any football to watch.

Can anybody help a brother out?
yeah, the cablevision vs. fox fight has left me going to friends houses or bars for sporting events on fox.

now i'll probably miss House tmrw.

fuck james dolan

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I pay the same as Tommy Bunz, and the only reason I keep cable is for watching Penguins games.

citizen

Post by citizen »

been without cable for about a year and a half. having cable is such a waste of time, sitting there flipping thru crap hoping something decent appears, i watch everything on dvd or hulu now, i really could watch travel channel or food network all day but i dont miss it that much

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

haven't had cable in about 4 years or so. haven't had the tv hooked up to anything except the dvd player in about 2 years and change. rarely miss it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Zeed Stun

Post by Zeed Stun »

^ ditto. netflix and streaming video cost next to nothing.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

was thinking abotu this but a couple questions

can you pay for an NFL league pass type thing through NFL.com?

I know you can with NBA and MLB for streams
UBM CD COMING SOON

eris

Post by eris »

Tweak Da Leak wrote: can you pay for an NFL league pass type thing through NFL.com?
Only if you live outside the country, which is bullshit.

I haven't had cable for 2 years or so. Definitely not missing it. I just stream Netflix or through my PC onto my tv for just about everything. Anything I miss I can find elsewhere.

Gregg Popabitch

do you really need sunday ticket though?

don't most urban areas have bars specifically tailored toward fans of a certain team even if it isn't a local team? I know NYC has a Browns bar, Raiders bar, numerous Steelers, Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles, 9ers, Dolphins bars etc.

The bar scene is perfect for football.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

used to only download, but then got tired of watching on my computer. plus I dont mind paying a cable bill, i dvr shit and watch it when i get to it. Plus sports was a major issue.

Gregg Popabitch

ok, FOX is really pissing me off. Anyone can link me to an HD download of House by tonight?

if not, i'll probably use TV Duck

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:ok, FOX is really pissing me off. Anyone can link me to an HD download of House by tonight?

if not, i'll probably use TV Duck
cablevision fucking sucks. 3rd time this year they have had a contract dispute. never had to deal with this with any other cable/sat carrier. fucking swine.

Gregg Popabitch

cablevision IS horrid with these contract disputes.

They did this with YES earlier this decade and then Food Network, ABC, and now FOX.

Dolan already ruined the knicks. Now he's trying to ruin my tv watching experience as well.