Asian actionflicks

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

The Beast Stalker (2008) - Dante Lam movie once again, this is more of a kidnapping drama than anything else. It's shot in a documentaristic way, lots of handheld and a sense of realism rather than style, which did make it look a little cheap at times, I can't explain it any better. Either way the story is allrite for what it is, it adds some ok touches to familiar territory and the story is told with tragic coincidences. Everyone's life in the movie is completely miserable to the point where it seemed a bit forced to me, and Hongkong is made to look like a desolate and impersonal antfarm. I'd take the two movies mentioned on the previous page ahead of this, there's not much action and it's needlessly depressing. It's not bad by any means and there are some really thrilling scenes so I wouldn't advise against watching it either.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

Hana-Bi (1997) - I love this movie dearly after my first watch and it is the Kitano flick I've enjoyed the most. It's a huge upgrade on the cool premise in Violent Cop, this one goes deeper in the characterstudy of a cop with an ill wife, debt and lots of sadness around him. The cop never really says anything, the movie sort of let's the wonderful score set the tone rather than dialog. Nice touch who his eye is twitching whenever hes agitated, we learn so little of what's going on in his head so even that becomes quite powerful.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bM-K_xOvsFc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bM-K_xOvsFc&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

i want to go to there
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/85qFwRy70bE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/85qFwRy70bE&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

prolly wont be as sleazy as it should be, but the fights looks solid

Comedy Quaddafi

I'd watch both of those. The jungle-action in that IA2 trailer made me think of this

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qeQTIkQ4GHc?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qeQTIkQ4GHc?version=3&hl=da_DK" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

seen it?
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh yeah, that's an alltime classic. the end scene is like an nba allstar game of 80s screenfighters. sammo's wife getting her arm chopped off is so :ohsh:

my only beef with that movie is that lam chin ying doesn't really fight here, and get sshot like a bitch. dude is so good as the gay master in prodigal son, wing chung moves for days

Comedy Quaddafi

Hongkong Godfather (1985) - Mediocre for the most part but the end is the craziest and most brutal fight-orgy I've seen. Pink stageblood is flying around all over as people get stabbed en masse. Other than the perfect last 15 minutes there are some ok moments and the fat backstabber was sufficiently slimey. The story could have been more interesting but it's good enough and Playboy Lung is a cool dude. Brief nudity is a rare and added bonus.

Took the recommendation from drizzle-san

Dangerous Encounters / Don't Play With Fire (1980) - A psychotic bitch befriends a group of nerds who likes to play with explosives, things turn sour when they meet an American stranger with a giftbox. I didn't get an overly dark vibe from this as everyone seems to suggest, maybe I'm jaded but it seems a bit goofy and cartoony at times - it is an angry movie though, and a good one. Only thing that put me off was the animal cruelty, not only did they think it was necessary to stab a mouse through the head with a needle, but apparently it had to be done twice, ughck. We get a cool shooutout at the end in the same cemetary as in The Killer, or so I've been told.

Would love to see the beautiful, overcrowded, dirty and charming place that was HK in the 80's, the nightclubs in particular looked really cool.
- MB

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

The Last Blood-12 Hours to Live 1991
The Red Army will stop at nothing to assassinate the Daka Lama during his visit to Singapore on Nation Day. En route, he meets Ling May, a young woman who shares his horoscope; he tells her that they face a day of danger, and she scoffs at him. In the Singapore airport, both are seriously wounded by terrorists. They have a rare blood type, so if the Red Army can keep blood donors from the hospital, both the monk and Ling will die. The police and Hong Kong anti-terrorist Lui Tai have one hope: to get a cowardly con man to the hospital to give blood before it's too late
Last edited by dilla7 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

The Hunted 1995
Paul is on one of his many business trips to Tokyo, as a computer-chip executive from New York, when he meets a beautiful and mysterious woman. Later, he finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, inadvertently interrupting an assassination by a feared Ninja-cult. As he is now the only man to have seen the face of the cult's warrior-leader and lived, he soon realizes that he is facing a markedly foreshortened life-expectancy. Teaming up with a friendly samurai couple, on a two-centuries-old blood-feud with the Ninja, he struggles to survive. Finally, recuperating on an island-fortress, he learns swordsmanship, and perhaps, a little about courage, honor, love, and loyalty. The requisite final confrontation is rife with bloody swordplay and spectacular martial-arts action sequences
Last edited by dilla7 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

darkwingduck wrote:dude. thats so crazy. I was just thinking about what HK action flicks I need to add to the collection.

obviously...
HARD BOILED
KILLER
BULLET IN THE HEAD
INFERNAL AFFAIRS

i just updated my HB and killer tapes to Blu-Ray. Thread is on point and I hope to add more to my collection.
hard boiled is top of my list as well. good call on all those.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

Battle Royale 2000
Forty-two delinquent students, three days, one deserted Island: welcome to Battle Royale. A group of delinquent students from a Japanese high school have been forced by legislation to compete in a new forum of reality television.The students are each given a bag with a randomly selected weapon and a few rations of food and water and sent off to kill each other in a no-holds-barred (with a few minor rules) game to the death, which means that the students have three days to kill each other until one survives--or they all die. The movie focus on a few of the students and how they cope
Last edited by dilla7 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedy Quaddafi

Graveyard of Honor (2002) - A Miike yakuza movie which is quite stellar. It's about a psycho-chef who gets a senior-position in a local gang by chance. Only hes far too completely insane to maintain his position and stay diplomatic, he slowly goes completely nuts abusing everyone in his path. I liked it but I thought the scenes without the protagonist got dull. However there's some extremely cool scenes of him convulsing on the floor from withdrawal while shooting at the ceiling. Sweet shit.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

see the original Fukusaku one, it's much better

yakuza graveyard too while you're at it

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

When an old Japanese tycoon suspects that he may be murdered, he establishes a huge reward fund for the person who will find his killer. When the old man is killed, out-of-luck con man and struggling "newbie' hitman band together in hope of a big payday as they try to discover the identity of the "King of the Hitmen
Last edited by dilla7 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

Image -2000

There are 666 portals that connect this world to the other side. These are concealed from all human beings. Somewhere in Japan exists the 444th portal.... The forest of resurrection.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

A prototype enhanced human, on the run from Chinese-hired hit men, hooks up with a dread-locked bystander, and the two of them elude their pursuers narrowly each time

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Mark Dacascos is the worst.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

With crime boss Chai now a successful legitimate businessman, Yung
wants to kill him more now than ever After returning from his self-imposed retirement from gang life, he is stripped of all his worldly goods in agonizingly slow stages, so that he can exact total revenge in a flamboyant Scarface-style siege on the bad guy's fortress headquarters after seeing the first movie Rich & Famous. Plenty of Bullets and bloodshed with a good touch of drama makes Tragic Hero a great watch
Last edited by dilla7 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

Ramen wrote:Mark Dacascos is the worst.
alright if u dont like him but im not saying he the greatest but i think he solid in this drive is a movie that u can enjoy as the others i posted

Comedy Quaddafi

How's Tragic Hero? Would be cool if you could add a little evaluation.

Full Alert (1997) - Ringo Lam made this movie which is part cop-thriller and part heist-flick. It's about a gang-leader who is caught during preperations for a big heist. His gang has to bust him out to protect themselves and to be able to complete the heist. Much of the relation between the cop and the antagonist is built well and the cop is a good, round character. While it's okay it's not my favorite of his, it lacks the grit and whoa-moments of a classic like Full Contact but it's worth a look for sure.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

dilla7 wrote:
alright if u dont like him but im not saying he the greatest but i think he solid in this drive is a movie that u can enjoy as the others i posted
drive is legit, in terms of choreography it's actually one of the best american martial arts movies ever made

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

While kung fu warriors and otherworldly spirits battle over the fate of two women, Russell's swaggering idiot manages to knock himself out or underestimate the forces he's dealing with. Jack Burton, a tough-talking, wisecracking truck driver whose hum-drum life on the road takes a sudden supernatural tailspin when his best friend's fiancee is kidnapped. Speeding to the rescue, Jack finds himself deep beneath San Francisco's Chinatown, in a murky, creature-filled world ruled by Lo Pan, a 2000-year-old magician who mercilessly presides over an empire of spirits. Dodging demons and facing baffling terrors, Jack battles his way through Lo Pan's dark domain in a full-throttle, action-riddled ride to rescue the girl

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

let's try to keep on topic, this and hunted don't really belong in this thread

drive didn't either really

asion action movies are not the same as action movies with asian people in them

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

drizzle wrote:let's try to keep on topic, this and hunted don't really belong in this thread

drive didn't either really

asian action movies are not the same as action movies with asian people in them
Look showdown in little tokyo i based these on that for adding them still good movies though in a way their dedicatedto their environment to that yes it outside but it dedicated i still think theyre good movies a little off but something to check out

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

drizzle wrote:
dilla7 wrote:
drive is legit, in terms of choreography it's actually one of the best american martial arts movies ever made
Nothing against the movie, I just hate him.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah he aint got shit on chairman kaga. so weird to think that he ended up on iron chef considering his early zgrade career. if i remember correctly, he got his start being a villain in a surprsingly gory david bradley movie called american samurai that heavily ripped off chuck norris' octagon... now he's all up in mario batali's gunt folds

i need a life badly

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

Three cops team up to bring down a criminal gang of seven, who have their own hidden agenda

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

now you're talking, that's the kidn of shit you should be posting here

Wu Jing exploding out of the roof of a van in this movie was one of the best HK movie moments in ages. Plus Jackie Chan's faggot son gets his ass wooped all over the place

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

well he wasnt noticed doesnt suprise me at the end of the day it for the paycheck just look at steven segal i think he do it too if he was asked and u hating the guy understandable

Tae-su, a detective fighting organized crime, returns to his hometown for his high school friend Wang-jae's funeral. At the funeral, he meets his old friends Pil-ho, Dong-hwan and Seok-hwan and they reminisce. Suspecting something fishy about Wang-jae's death, Tae-su and Seok-hwan start investigating it each in his own way. Both of their investigations lead to a land development project that Pil-ho is directing and the two embark on a difficult battle