Asian actionflicks

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Don't sleep on the The Inspector Wear Skirts movies.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/abMk-z_RReQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/abMk-z_RReQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here at Twitch we have been following Dante Lam's ascendency from jobbing director to action auteur with great enthusiasm and with THE VIRAL FACTOR, he looks to be tackling his most ambitious project yet. In a deliberate attempt to appeal to a wider international audience, Lam's film tackles international terrorism and a killer virus across two different continents. The plot sees special forces agent Jay Chou and menace to society Nicholas Tse forced into an uneasy alliance in order to save the planet and - judging from the first teaser trailer - blow a lot of shit up.

THE VIRAL FACTOR was filmed on location in Jordan, Malaysia and Hong Kong and has been slated for a Chinese New Year 2012 release. The rumours we've been hearing coming off the set are that the film is brimming with insane action, explosions, gunfire and even an aerial helicopter chase above Kuala Lumpur. Needless to say - watch this space!

dante lam doin it extra big
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Nice. Very, very nice. I'd also like to backtrack my opinion about Beast Stalker, I still think about that movie often and I will definitely watch it again.

Saw this last night

Koreas biggest blockbuster of last year. It's about corruption and how the police frames a guy because they can't convict the real killer, after having accidentally shot their main suspect. Not as action-packed as I had hoped but it's decent and pretty interesting.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

Gonin (1995) - I'll have to watch this again since it all ceased to make sense to me, after a certain point. It's basically a heist-movie where a robbery goes wrong and the assailants are hunted down by two hired guns, one of them Kitano who is at his awesome best. There's a lot of repressed craving for buttsex in this movie, and the male-bonding over violence seems to replace that urge in some of the characters. It's shot really well and the characters are all interesting, to say the least. Tons of memorable scenes too. Recommended for those looking for a more heady and dark action-fare.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

it and odd one, simply because of the rampant gayness. the scene of kitano and his protege doing their role playing shit is infinitely disturbing

there's a sequel that focuses on lesbians, i think i actually own it but never watched

Lid

Post by Lid »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Nice. Very, very nice. I'd also like to backtrack my opinion about Beast Stalker, I still think about that movie often and I will definitely watch it again.

Saw this last night

Koreas biggest blockbuster of last year. It's about corruption and how the police frames a guy because they can't convict the real killer, after having accidentally shot their main suspect. Not as action-packed as I had hoped but it's decent and pretty interesting.
what is the name of this

Comedy Quaddafi

Sorry. 'The Unjust'
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Dap

Post by Dap »

found this thread and wanted to add on and say infernal affairs was incredibly good

Comedy Quaddafi

Viral Factor (2012) - Dante Lam makes a Michael Bay-flick and it works. The action happens on a bigger scale than usually and the noir-overtones are traded for RPG's and crashing helicopters. It's a really fun movie but it still have characters you can relate to or detest. I have high expectations for The Raid but thus far it's the best action I've seen this year.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

this one looks promising, thai jawnt named headshot

http://vimeo.com/31254843

dvd talk liked it well enough http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/55686/headshot/

Comedy Quaddafi

It's showing here on the 29th. I might go but some bad reviews have put me off a bit, mostly because of the specific issues every review brought up (can't remember now (stoned))
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

Re: Asian actionflicks

"Drug War" by Johnnie To is a stellar effort and has a 90's HK feeling and aesthetic. I think this will be a pretty big hit once it hits DVD's overseas. Some cops infiltrate a drugcartel and they have problems with their snitch. Not a lot of seperate actionscenes but the ones that are there, are huge and epic. The ending will be considered cynical and tasteless by most Western liberals. Worth looking forward to, this one.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^ leaked or is it out where you live?

been waiting for this for months, he's got another one coming this year too

Comedy Quaddafi

There's been two screenings here this week. Good to see that hes doing actionfilms again.
- MB

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Thank you for bringing this thread back up. I stumbled upon HK/Asian flicks after being curious about hearing that The Departed was a remake. I watched Infernal Affairs, got hooked. Those Chow Yun Fat films are great and I actually can't stand Beat Takeshi. I'm a big fan of Johnnie To personally but he definitely has a style.

A number of great films have been mentioned including some of my personal favorites (Exiled, The Raid, Beast Cops, A Bittersweet Life, City of Violence).

There's a couple of additions I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Full-Time Killer (2000) - HK/Japanese - contract killers compete for more than business
A Company Man (2010ish) - Korean (Amazing film) - contract killer looks to get out of the business
Vengeance (2009ish?) - HK - French guy avenges the home invasion of his daughter who's married to an Asian dude
The Good, The Bad and The Weird (2010ish) - Korean old-style Western with new school feel; super entertaining
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

Anyone know of anything we ought to look forward to?

This Korean revengefilm is all I've got

- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

new benny chan jawnt looks very similar to Johnie To's Drug War, but that's not a bad thing. the dude getting smacked head first against the car is exactly what i want to see

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/05/exciting- ... storm.html

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

new Dennis Law jawnt looking very kung-fui and stabby

there's literally no plot in this trailer, just shooting stabbing kicking and running

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/07/who-needs ... nives.html

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Just watched a Korean film "New World" (2013); Fucking. Awesome. Feels a lot like Infernal Affairs especially in the beginning plus it's long but it's very worth it. Highly recommend it.

I also checked Drug War and and I liked it too. But I have a thing for Johnnie To flicks.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lid

Post by Lid »

stupidregister wrote:Just watched a Korean film "New World" (2013); Fucking. Awesome. Feels a lot like Infernal Affairs especially in the beginning plus it's long but it's very worth it. Highly recommend it.

I also checked Drug War and and I liked it too. But I have a thing for Johnnie To flicks.
new world was high quality. bout to check drug war out now

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

stupidregister wrote:Just watched a Korean film "New World" (2013); Fucking. Awesome. Feels a lot like Infernal Affairs especially in the beginning plus it's long but it's very worth it. Highly recommend it.

Thought New World was just OK. If you like Korean organized crime fliks, check out Nameless Gangster if u haven't yet. Much better I thought.

Comedy Quaddafi

I have chosen to pass on most of those new Korean crimefilms (New World, Nameless Gangster, etc). By all accounts they're extremely convoluted and difficult to follow, which is something that really demotivates my interest. Maybe I'm missing out tho.

Guess I generally prefer action/crime movies where you follow a single protagonist with a simple ambition (revenge or cop vs crimesyndicate e.g.), rather than a multi-perspective tale where each character has their own agenda.

But for real, if anyone missed out on The Yellow Sea then hurry up and get it. 5 * K-Cinema. One of the best movies of 2011, period.
- MB

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

I can cosign Yellow Sea. Such a great film.
Buy my mixtape.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:I have chosen to pass on most of those new Korean crimefilms (New World, Nameless Gangster, etc). By all accounts they're extremely convoluted and difficult to follow, which is something that really demotivates my interest. Maybe I'm missing out tho.

Guess I generally prefer action/crime movies where you follow a single protagonist with a simple ambition (revenge or cop vs crimesyndicate e.g.), rather than a multi-perspective tale where each character has their own agenda.

But for real, if anyone missed out on The Yellow Sea then hurry up and get it. 5 * K-Cinema. One of the best movies of 2011, period.
A lot of the shit gets lost in translation and u do have to get the cultural aspect of many things in it just like any other foreign fliks, so I understand your point, but if you're a native speaker, I just think Nameless Gangster is a better flik than New World, which I didn't think was fleshed out really well. I cosign Yellow Sea though. That shit was great. Ha Jung Woo has been killin it right now for a few years. Peep "The Berlin File" which he stars in as well. It's basically the Korean version of Jason Bourne, no other way to put it.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Actually, Ima make a post on it -- The Berlin File. Peep it if u haven't. Like I said, basically a korean version of Bourne. The actor playing the main KCIA agent (who is a famous actor in Korea) is fuckin terrible with his English accent, but apart from that, it's got good action, and I thought it was overall a just a fun flik to watch.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I've peeped Nameless Gangster and it's good too but just too long for my tastes. I've seen a lot of the movies mentioned here but I feel like I'm running out, maybe that's why I enjoyed New World a little bit more initially. I actu
pally prefer the HK cinema much more but City of Violence might be the most entertaining of all the Asian movies I've come across.

Dap

Post by Dap »

i thought new world was fucking excellent. not hard at all to follow and the ending was great. very good acting too

Lid

Post by Lid »

stupidregister wrote: I actu
pally prefer the HK cinema much more but City of Violence might be the most entertaining of all the Asian movies I've come across.
i need to watch this movie again. its been a minute

Comedy Quaddafi

Might have to give New World a go.

I had to rewatch Full Contact. 5/5 in my book. Not sure how popular it is but I think it's almost as good as the best Woo-flicks.

For more recent stuff I can't recommend Dante Lam's films enough.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Full Contact is popular enough to occasionally be labeled as a Parker adaptation. It's a classic, def up there with Woo's stuff from the period. Ringo Lam is the shit in general, very underrated. The Suspect and Burning Paradise are both >>>>

To's Big Heat is the only other one from that period which I would rank as Woo-status.