Tarantino's new movie - "Django Unchained"?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

Tarantino's new movie - "Django Unchained"?

Post by Truth. »

Script is legit. Quentin had a publishing party for the script this week. Gave copies of his latest opus to all his inner circle (director friends, collaborators, agents, etc.). It's classic QT and it's awesome. It's also super fuckin controversial and people are going to go nuts when they read/see this thing. It's not at all a Django movie in the sense that the Franco Nero movie was. I'll give you all a little hint: Django is the name of a freed slave who becomes a bounty hunter tutored by another bounty hunter - Waltz - on a take no prisoners quest to rescue his wife from an evil plantation owner. This thing rocks from page one to page 166.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

holy shit

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Nice
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Still kind of suspicious.

If it's the real deal, then this has got to be the "southern" he was talking about making.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

It would fit into his whole "Boner for all things black people related" thing he's got going.
Regardless, if it's real, it'll be dope.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Spartan wrote:Still kind of suspicious.

If it's the real deal, then this has got to be the "southern" he was talking about making.
I read somewhere that Uma Thurman described this as a "southern"...

don't know if that means anything, but...

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

Blockhead wrote:It would fit into his whole "Boner for all things black people related" thing he's got going.
rap producer

:lol:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

AWAE wrote:
Blockhead wrote:It would fit into his whole "Boner for all things black people related" thing he's got going.
rap producer

I know the point you're trying to make but it's a pretty big :larry: when applied to me.

AMASK

Post by AMASK »

something tells me this wont see the light of the day for at least five years.

hope im wrong.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Back when I saw him in late February at Harvey Weinstein's Oscar night party for The King's Speech, Quentin Tarantino told me that his script for a Western was just pouring out of him easily, that he'd finished a draft and expected to turn in a final version within two months. As a web leak of the cover page of his new script Django Unchained attests, Tarantino finished that script two days ago, right on schedule. Here's what I've heard: While Tarantino has spoken about doing a variation of the Western genre he called a "Southern," I'm told he has actually written a spaghetti Western, that stylized and violent brand of films popularized by Sergio Leone and a few other directors in the 1960s. Tarantino will put his stamp on one of his favorite genres same as he did when he took on the war mission movie with Inglourious Basterds.

The project is moving very quickly. Tarantino is reuniting with Pulp Fiction producer Stacey Sher. Sher will produce with Pilar Savone. Weinstein, who distributed Pulp Fiction, will spearhead domestic distribution on Django Unchained through TWC. Universal International has the inside track to co-finance and handle foreign distribution because of the relationship built on 2009's Inglourious Basterds, which grossed $190 million overseas and $314 million overall. Despite the early look that Universal International will get, Tarantino's script is also being pursued by Warner Bros, Paramount and Sony Pictures, I'm told. Django Unchained will be casting up quickly to begin production later this year; whether it starts late summer or fall depends on cast availability. Just like on Inglourious Basterds, Tarantino will be casting top-shelf on his spaghetti Western. Getting the WME-repped Tarantino back behind the camera is another boost for the rebounding TWC. After the leak of the cover page, everyone involved will be working harder to keep the script under wraps.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Sounds to me like an excuse to direct use of the n-word.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Couldn't be more excited

None

Post by None »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Couldn't be more cysed.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Looks like it is legit and QT is already raiding his Ennio Morricone soundtrack collection.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact ... k_western/
So in case you havenג€™t heard, that little item I wrote yesterday morning regarding the plot details for Quentin Tarantinoג€™s black western Django Unchained, caused quite a buzz throughout the blogosphere all day. I had no idea it would cause such a fuss. I didnג€™t know that the details of the film were being kept in secretג€¦ well that is until I blew the whole thing. Weג€™re been flooded with e-mails from insiders asking us how did we knew about it? Shortly afterward, both the William Morris Agency and The Weinstein Company confirmed that it was all true. Thatג€™s just like me to start something. Ainג€™t I a stinker?
Here's the original article http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact ... k_western/#
Admittedly, Iג€™m not the greatest fan of Quentin Tarantinoג€™s work. He definitely knows how to put a film together, but Iג€™ve always found him self-indulgent, too much in love with his own dialogue, and all his films have been nothing but pastiches, made entirely up of scenes from other movies. Everything in his movies is blatantly stolen from other films going back to even the 1940ג€™s. And since he knows that his main audience basically only knows movies from Star Wars on, his films look totally original to them.

That being said, I, however, confess that Iג€™m dying to see his new western film which will begin shooting sometime this year Django Unchained. Now first of all Django was a series of violent Italian made ג€œspaghettiג€ westerns made during the 1960ג€™s and 1970ג€™s. Franco Nero played the lead in the first few Django pictures, but afterward, the role was assumed by various actors. (How do I know that? Because Iג€™ve seen most of them. Iג€™ve been seeing movies even before Star Wars believe it or not.)

This time, Tarantino takes the Django character in a whole different direction. In his film, according to one source who has read the script, ג€œDjango is a freed slave, who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (played by Christopher Waltz the evil Nazi officer in Inglorious Basterds) becomes a bad-ass bounty hunter himself, and after assisting Waltz in taking down some bad guys for profit, is helped by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner. And that doesnג€™t even half begin to cover it! This film deals with racism as Iג€™ve rarely seen it handled in a Hollywood film. While itג€™s 100 percent pure popcorn and revenge flick, it is pure genius in the way it takes on the evil slave owning south. Think of what he did with the Nazis in Inglorious and youג€™ll get a sense of what heג€™s doing with slave owners and slave overseers in this one.ג€

Now I donג€™t know about you, but thatג€™s one movie Iג€™m standing in line to see RIGHT NOW! Though, of course, I wish it was a black director making this film, but Iג€™ll take it regardless of who makes it.

Waltz and Nero himself are already attached to the film. However the one big question is whoג€™s going to play Django?

No doubt casting is going on right now. But you would need a tough masculine black actor to play that role, and since Jim Brown is now in his 70ג€™s, that pretty much narrows down the choices considerably. One thing for sure is that, neither Tyler Perry or Terrance Howard are being considered, so thatג€™s a relief. But whoג€™s out there? Iג€™m assuming itג€™ll have to be an unknown.

You have any suggestions?
Last edited by Spartan on Mon May 02, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Awesome that Nero is attached. Hopefully he has a real role and not just a cameo.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i'd be very surprised if they don't cast sam jackson in this

but they should cast michael jai white instead
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

there's really no way this movie won't be awesome

None

Post by None »

drizzle wrote:i'd be very surprised if they don't cast sam jackson in this

Shit would be dynomite.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle wrote:i'd be very surprised if they don't cast sam jackson in this

don't think samuel l jackson can be trusted with a script these days.

michael jai white I can see in this movie what with his tarantino connection.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah he does have an in from that one ponderously omitted fight scene

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

The script for this has leaked

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Truth. wrote:The script for this has leaked

so they did cast Samuel L. Jackson. Link?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Trademark wrote:

so they did cast Samuel L. Jackson.
Why would the script leak tell us this?

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Positive A wrote:
Trademark wrote:

motherfucker leaked the avengers script like three days ago.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

haha his shit was stolen

don't think they've casted anybody yet for this

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Trademark wrote:
Positive A wrote:
Trademark wrote:

motherfucker leaked the avengers script like three days ago.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

just wondering- do you guys enjoy reading the script before getting to see the movie? I understand the whole "reading the book before seeing the movie" argument but I would think this would take the fun away from seeing a Tarantino flick for the first time, especially this far ahead of time.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

can't speak for anybody else, and not trying to put anybody down, but imo reading leaked scripts and basing opinions on potential from them is mostly a waste of time.

so many good movies were made from terrible scripts, elevated by acting and direction or just general entertainment factor. and beyond that, scrpts get rewritten constantly, often as the movie is in the process of shooting. there's no guarantee that anything that you read in a leaked script will make it into the actual final cut

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

drizzle wrote:can't speak for anybody else, and not trying to put anybody down, but imo reading leaked scripts and basing opinions on potential from them is mostly a waste of time.

so many good movies were made from terrible scripts, elevated by acting and direction or just general entertainment factor. and beyond that, scrpts get rewritten constantly, often as the movie is in the process of shooting. there's no guarantee that anything that you read in a leaked script will make it into the actual final cut
Pretty spot on.

Dan

Post by Dan »