CM Punk & Wrestling's Best Storyline in Years...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ecwclown2

Post by ecwclown2 »

KEITH FUCKING STONE~!

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

OK NEVERMIND!

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

Well, that was a better ending than what I was expecting.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

Apparently Punk used "Cult of Personality" as his theme music in Ring of Honor.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

GREAT touch using "Cult of Personality". That was his theme music during the original ROH "Summer of Punk", and was a subtle nod to those who have followed his career.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

I got home in time to see the Cena-Rey match onward. So, to me, this wa a great Raw.

Since I missed most of Raw, is JR gonna be back regularly now or was it a one time thing by HHH?

hustler

Post by hustler »

too soon for punk to come back. way too soon.

really stupid having rey mysterio fight twice on the same night wtf is that, and for the title no less? if anything it brings cena down even more, essentially gifting him the new "championship".

i dont even know why mysterio won the title in the first place. miz shoulda won it. then cena could get his "rematch" that he'll never get from punk (who left) and fight miz at summerslam. all the while having more and more subtle cm punk jabs like his comicon thing.

but hey, what do i know.

miz and mysterio match was really good though. cena v. mysterio was ok but not as good imo.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

def didnt expect Punk back this week but whatever he's back im cool with it. i thought raw sucked for the most part other than Michael Cole in triple h gear

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/dOpDw ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/dOpDw ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Why kill the angle by bringing him back so quick? Using Cult of Personality was awesome though.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

I think the crowd reaction was more than weak looking back on the video.

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

Hampton, Virginia was a weak city to stage Punk's return. If it were New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, or even Boston, the reaction would have been much, much different. You get the feeling most of those Hampton fans don't follow the off-screen developments like ComicCon.

ecwclown2

Post by ecwclown2 »

WWAAAAAYYYY too soon for me to have any praise for this move. Punk/Cena should have been saved for Survivor Series. That plus Rock coming back could have done a monster number.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

The Bill Simmons Podcast with Punk will be up tomorrow according to Simmons Twitter.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

ecwclown2

Post by ecwclown2 »

Prophecy wrote:The Bill Simmons Podcast with Punk will be up tomorrow according to Simmons Twitter.
This would have been 100% better pre-comeback.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Dave Lagana on the Punk's early wwe days...great read from a former member of creative

http://iwantwrestling.com/2011/07/26/ha ... d-cm-punk/

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

That was a good read. HBK is someone I've never really been able to figure out. From a lot of stories, he's a douchebag and a total mark for himself. But it seems like he has a great feel for the business and maybe now in his semi-retired state he recognizes what's good for the future of the business.

Funkdoobiest

Post by Funkdoobiest »

Lagana's "Formerly Creative" podcast is dope.

I also thought it was too early for Punk to come back, but I thought it was an even bigger mistake bringing Triple H in to "front" or whatever and to involve him in this shit.

Fuck HHH and his wings.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

I'm with those who think it was too soon to bring Punk back. I get that they wanted to strike while the iron's hot, but they definitely could have gone a couple weeks with it.

Still, I don't think they've completely Nexus'd the angle yet. There's a lot of ways to explain him being "back" or even what "back" means. And yes, using Cult of Personality is a great touch.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

It may have been a bit soon, but I think if the angle had been properly executed, the reaction might not have fallen flat. Cena didn't look angry or confused or even "Oh fuck, who is this?". He looked like he was experiencing mild bowel discomfort.

While I think it was a bit soon for my tastes, I think if they'd held off beyond Summerslam, people would lose interest. Those watching specifically for Punk's antics would tune out until he returned, myself included. They made the move that holds the ratings steady instead of waiting for the big blowoff.

I don't think Punk being "back" precludes him from crashing other events and further playing into what he called "The Reality Era" on the Simmons podcast. There are plenty of storyline ways for him to do whatever he wants and show up wherever he wants without consequence.

Also, I'm wondering how they're going to reintroduce Colt Cabana, and whether or not they'll tie the Kings of Wrestling into this particular angle.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

"Cult of Personality" currently #140 on iTunes.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

BigCat8 wrote:While I think it was a bit soon for my tastes, I think if they'd held off beyond Summerslam, people would lose interest. Those watching specifically for Punk's antics would tune out until he returned, myself included.
They could have kept doing stuff like ComicCon and showed the footage on Raw (though I get how that would "cheapen" the story of Punk being unemployed).

My boy said it would have been great if a Raw main event was CM Punk versus Doink the Clown for the WWE Title at some random high school gym.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

BigCat8 wrote:Also, I'm wondering how they're going to reintroduce Colt Cabana
Cabana should have been a star by now, dude is/was hilarious.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Pizon wrote:
BigCat8 wrote:While I think it was a bit soon for my tastes, I think if they'd held off beyond Summerslam, people would lose interest. Those watching specifically for Punk's antics would tune out until he returned, myself included.
They could have kept doing stuff like ComicCon and showed the footage on Raw (though I get how that would "cheapen" the story of Punk being unemployed).
Unfortunately, they kinda put themselves in a corner week one by no longer acknowledging Punk. Crown a new champion, pretend Punk didn't exist. They didn't acknowledge his SDCC appearance on TV, nor his AAW appearance, nor his Twitter commments.

The other issue with that is viral videos still won't translate to ratings, because you don't need to tune into Raw to see those things. And if you do, it doesn't exactly follow the "reality era" theory- at least, not as I see it. The whole angle so far has been about bleeding over into other media. You can still do that AND get the ratings from his appearances with him back. Otherwise, people can follow the angle completely via Twitter and YouTube.

I like this take on it:

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2011/07/t ... -raw-725/8
Galvatron78 wrote:
BigCat8 wrote:Also, I'm wondering how they're going to reintroduce Colt Cabana
Cabana should have been a star by now, dude is/was hilarious.
Yeah, his NWA title run was cut criminally short. He's kinda made a niche for himself, though, with his podcast/comedy/media ventures. It's a shame he's never had a chance to be "the" guy.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

Cabana will be tagging with Santino in no time

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

BigCat8 wrote:
I like this take on it:

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2011/07/t ... -raw-725/8
Great read. :cheers:
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

that was a great read.

its really interesting that vince is doing so much to appease the internet wrestling nerds that he has despised for so long.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

mike eagle wrote:that was a great read.

its really interesting that vince is doing so much to appease the internet wrestling nerds that he has despised for so long.
Either 1)Vince has admitted that he's been wrong by being indifferent to the IWC or 2)He's letting someone else call the shots on this.

Neither scenario seems likely, so yeah, this is kinda weird.

ecwclown2

Post by ecwclown2 »

I've heard Hero and Claudio are WWE bound, probably to join in the angle as well.

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

What will Chris Hero's name be? With Jericho returning at some point, I don't know if they'd want there to be another Chris.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

judging by the names of the most recent stars theyve been signing the King of Wrestling's names in WWE will probably be Chet Hampton and Mark Richter