Community Season 3 thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

At first I was kind of turned off by the obvious gimmick, but I think the episode was handled really well. Great way to advance several converging story lines in one shot.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

loved this episode. like everyone said it was a perfect community episode. loved everyone falling into their roles, the story lines kind of moving forward and brita's bewbs continued on their emmy winning pace.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Amazing episode.

Zeed Stun

Post by Zeed Stun »

^jacked for sig

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

"Yahtzee or as everyone knows it Puerto Rican Chess"
UBM CD COMING SOON

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

great ep. The reality where the place got on fire was great.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

"Rule #1: Be a Man" - Whoops move this to Parks and Rec thread.
Last edited by Tweak Da Leak on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBM CD COMING SOON

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Last edited by bbatson1 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

bbatson1 wrote:I wonder if they got the head hitting the fan from that internet video that's been so popular lately of the girl hitting her head on the fan when she's up on that balcony.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_u8trTxyf8A?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_u8trTxyf8A?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I was wondering which timeline was the 'actual' prime since the one which was supposedly prime(not rolling the dice, the group dancing at the end) had Pierce not tell his Ertha Kit story which he said he only told the group in the previous episode. Here's alittle tumblr dealing with the 'real' timeline
Last nightג€™s Community featured seven different timelines based on the roll of a die. They led you to believe that the final timeline was the real one, but I donג€™t believe this to be true. Hereג€™s why.

1. The episode begins with a brief argument about whether Troy and Abed live in apartment 303 or 304. This episode was season three, episode four. What this hints at is that this episode takes place before the last one.
2. In every timeline except Jeffג€™s (supposedly the real one), Pierce mentions that he had sex with Eartha Kitt in an airplane bathroom. He tells Omar in 303 that the members of the study group are the only ones heג€™s told about that event.
3. Abedג€™s timeline is the only one in which Shirley finds out that Britta smokes pot. In 303, when Britta burns the list, Shirley says, ג€œoh no! Sheג€™s got her marijuana lighter!ג€
UBM CD COMING SOON

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

^that's crazy. I wouldn't have ever caught that. So I assume, if the lighter comment holds weight, Abed's timeling is correct.

.....just rewatched that timeline. Nothing much happens that's to crazy so that's probably it. Thatl's great writing.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

bbatson1 wrote:^that's crazy. I wouldn't have ever caught that. So I assume, if the lighter comment holds weight, Abed's timeling is correct.

.....just rewatched that timeline. Nothing much happens that's to crazy so that's probably it. Thatl's great writing.
His timeline was the one where everyone ended up pretty mad at each other in the end correct? Abed couldn't read the room cus he thought that was the best timeline since he found a nickel in the hallway.
UBM CD COMING SOON

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

^Britta gets high and eats the pie, but tells that nobody was supposed to eat them. Troy tells Chevy that he looks up to him and appreciated living with him, but then Chevy won't give the troll thing so he pulls the box and the troll pops out. Troy screams I hate you. Annie and Jeff kiss in the kitchen, Annie says when Jeff said he cared about her it reminded her of her dad and says lay off the bubble gum lip gloss. Abed walks in and eats pizza..

so yeah that must be it.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

crazy we'll see how it plays out next week.

I just remembered two of my favorite lines from last nights ep

"Clearly you don't understand a thing about defeating trolls"

"Banned in Serbia, let that concept sink in."

I also want to see a return of evil Troy and evil AAAAAAbed.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

I feel retarded because I needlessly thought the first shown timeline, where Annie goes downstairs, was the real one.

Even iller than I presumed.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

bbatson1 wrote:great ep. The reality where the place got on fire was great.
reminded me of a combination of the banderas scene with the taratino/roald dahl short story cutting finger off scene
Nets 2022

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Reggie wrote:I feel retarded because I needlessly thought the first shown timeline, where Annie goes downstairs, was the real one.
went the other way with it and immediately realized jeffs die roll wouldn't get back to him, so when the group figures that out and sends him to go down to get the pizza, that will have to be the real timeline. this timeline talk has me feeling like i'm in a LOST thread.
Brougham33 wrote:Image
brittas still getting the biggest laugh out of every ep.
nearly died at this the first time, was dead the second time through
moved by duck muscles

Thun

Post by Thun »

Yeah, Britta's currently the funniest. Abed kind of exists at this point mostly to justify gimmick episodes. Jeff is less likable than ever, and Annie isn't getting much material to work with.

Chase's shtick is wearing thin. They need to kill him off in spectacular fashion.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Dan Harmon clears everything up about the timeline.
Fine, weג€™re geniuses but not EVIL geniuses.

(this is a post for Community fans, clarifying an odd rumor about a recent episode. No need to read more if youג€™re not absurdly obsessed with our show).

I have been trying not to read reviews, and especially the discussions under them, this season, as I have become emotionally fused with our TV show in a way that makes it hurt every time someone says itג€™s not perfect. However, there was so much discussion about this weekג€™s episode that I have seen a few reviews, now, courtesy of provocatively captioned links sent to my twitter, etc.

There is this one particular pet theory circulating that, as a populist TV producer, I canג€™t allow to be out there without being on record firmly denying. To tell you the truth, Iג€™m not sure I fully understand the theory itself, but I know itג€™s not true at a glance, because it has something to do with the episode ג€œCompetitive Ecologyג€ being aired out of order on purpose because it was actually ג€œfrom the timeline in which Abed gets the pizza in Remedial Chaos Theory.ג€

Itג€™s just not true. I am really sorry that the air-order-swap has sent a false signal of hidden complexity. I have been meaning to explain the very unmysterious reason for the air order swap when I had time, in keeping with a promise I made you guys long ago.

The production code of ג€œRemedial Chaos Theoryג€ is 303, because it was the third episode to be written and shot. We intended to air it third. Troy and Abedג€™s apartment is 303 because, hey, we needed an apartment number, so we gave it the production codeג€™s number.

As you MIGHT imagine, 303 was a bit of a challenge to write, shoot and edit. And as you might imagine, the episode entitled ג€œCompetitive Ecologyג€ was relatively easy to write, shoot and edit. Relative to 303, anyway.

At a certain point, with 303ג€™s delivery deadline looming, I panicked. I felt that the episode was nowhere near complete. Chris McKenna had invested so much into the episode, and we were about to lock picture on something that was not delivering on this script that had nearly given him a stroke. And an early directorג€™s cut of Competitive Ecology came in, and I looked at it, and it was working great. It was six hours from being broadcastable, and Chaos Theory needed an amount of TLC in the edit bay that I couldnג€™t even estimate. I just knew we had to sit there and work on it. A lot.

So I ordered the swap. Not NBC. I talked them into it. We considered things like the Eartha Kitt contradiction, which some execs recommended pulling from 304, but I thought, perhaps erroneously, that it would feel like a ג€œset upג€ for the fact that Pierce is constantly bringing it up. We considered the ג€œmarijuana lighterג€ concept, and I decided that, you know what? Shirley just already knew that Britta was a stoner, how could she not.

One thing I did not consider was that fans starving for our weirdness were going to get back-to-back ג€œnormal episodesג€ with Chang-as-cop B stories, and that, in a season in which backlash is basically unavoidable, we were going to leap headlong into it, because everyone was going to start making decisions, as of the third episode, about how the season was going, etc.

It aired out of order because it was a bitch to edit. Iג€™m sorry itג€™s not more complicated than that, but Iג€™m sure glad the explanation isnג€™t more sinister. The ג€œrealג€ timeline - that is to say, the one which the NBC TV show Community will continue to track - is the timeline you see mapped at the center in those awesome transitions created by Channel 101ג€™s Duncan Brothers. That center, or ג€œprimeג€ timeline, is the one in which Abed catches the die, exposes Jeff as a selfish hooligan and the group sends him down for the pizza. That is the ג€œrealג€ timeline. And when we were not in it, I did everything I could to make it clear. As much fun as we want to have, we never want to confuse you or lie to you. We just donג€™t consider that a right that we have. I hated that stupid ג€œThe Killingג€ show on AMC after the first five minutes; donג€™t show me someone discovering a body but then reveal that the camera was somewhere else and it was a pig. Thatג€™s dumb. Thatג€™s not storytelling, thatג€™s a parlor trick and an abuse of power. That kind of shit was cool in the third act of Silence of the Lambs, when she was ringing the doorbell and the SWAT team was ringing a doorbell and you suddenly realized that the SWAT team was at the wrong house and Starling wasnג€™t. The ג€œdeceptionג€ in that moment was the POINT of that moment in Silence of the Lambs. Starling had wandered from her flock, straight into the wolfג€™s den, and WE were the only ones that knew it. That was a [very brief] lie the camera engaged in to EMPOWER the audience and make the story more riveting. Wow. What a tangent. Anyway.

Is timeline 1 real? Is Evil Abed out there?

Those are really, really good questions that I think only a really, really good show would answer. Enjoy.

They are airing a rerun next thursday. But the week after that is Halloween.

Itג€™s a fun one.

Your praise of Remedial Chaos Theory has got me feeling really good. I have some pretty interesting stuff I could show you when I get a chance. Thereג€™s photos of the whiteboard in the room where McKenna was breaking this story. And thereג€™s a text message conversation from last season between me and Megan ג€œMarie Claireג€ Ganz in which you can see the seed for Remedial Chaos Theory get planted and then sprout. Well, it fascinates me, anyway. What else do I have to be fascinated by.
I love you guys for loving that episode. Talk to you soon.
http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/114691 ... l-geniuses

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

the anti-lindelof
moved by duck muscles

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Liked Harmon's little jab at that indian cunt and the killing

even with all that said there's something else to it

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/community- ... timelines/

entertainment weekly thought like reggie annie's timeline was the 'prime' timeline.

plus i think we see sometype of call back later in the season(halloween? Evil Troy and Evil AAAbed?)
UBM CD COMING SOON

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Britta has definitely been the MVP of this season.

Abed has always been the narrator/conscience of the show. In fact, he's the only one that realizes that he's in a TV show (stole this from Sepinwall).

I would've thought that Thun would love Jeff.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

boy am i glad for dvr. between starting the episode, laughing my ass off harder than i've ever laughed before during the troy timeline, and then reading this thread for commentary, i'm really pleased with the direction this season is taking. i am in love with britta.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

v<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTsb5hg04Oc?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTsb5hg04Oc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
moved by duck muscles

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

LilLeftBrain wrote:v<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTsb5hg04Oc?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTsb5hg04Oc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
yea i just kept staring at troy's timeline. b/w the gunshot and the chaos that ensues, it still overshadowed the rest lol
Nets 2022

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Okay, if Dan Harmon says the timeline where Jeff gets the pizza is the real one, then there's no reason not to believe him. However, it's odd that it's the only one of the seven where Pierce doesn't mention that he slept with Eartha Kitt, despite getting a prime setup when Troy says that Jeff sucks harder than an airplane bathroom.

Of course, him not mentioning his inclusion within the Mile High club at that point was the joke, but it does nothing for my obsessive nerdish need for continuity.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

weakest of the halloween eps by a long shot and kinda too structurally similar to the last ep (though i guess the last ep was supposed to air third, but that's whatevs, this one was just lacking in lolz). but britta continues her streak
moved by duck muscles

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

thought it was pretty lulz, but I agree too much like the last episode.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

it had moments but was kind of ehh. and i thought the personality test reveal at the end was kinda of lame.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

yeah, i would've been much happier if they didn't reveal it and we had to guess throughout the season.