Community Season 3 thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

haven't lost faith in the show either, but gheesh that was bad
chevy was good in it, i suppose
moved by duck muscles

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Yohan wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:^What ever they are doing with Jeff and the rest of the group for that matter is making the show suck. To many of the epsoides have suffered from the group being together in outside situtions. Just a huge drop of in quility and laughs from the last 2 seasons to this season.
Then again, you enjoy the Big Bang Theory. I think this says more about you than Community.

And while season three had its share of below average episodes thus far, I don't share Thun's sentiment that the show is done. At least not in a creative sense, I think there still are some quality episodes on the horizon. As far as the longevity of the show: this is probably their last season. It's a shame because Community was far and away my favourite show during season 2.
Yes It says when I watch a comedy I actually like to laugh.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

ThaJim2 wrote:
Yohan wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:^What ever they are doing with Jeff and the rest of the group for that matter is making the show suck. To many of the epsoides have suffered from the group being together in outside situtions. Just a huge drop of in quility and laughs from the last 2 seasons to this season.
Then again, you enjoy the Big Bang Theory. I think this says more about you than Community.

And while season three had its share of below average episodes thus far, I don't share Thun's sentiment that the show is done. At least not in a creative sense, I think there still are some quality episodes on the horizon. As far as the longevity of the show: this is probably their last season. It's a shame because Community was far and away my favourite show during season 2.
:rofl:

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

I think that Community still struggles with pinning down each character's personality and motives. You never know what you're going to get: Troy the chuckling retard or sympathetic, sensitive Troy. Are you going to get Britta the politically correct wannabe psychologist or Britta the clumsy pothead? I'm thinking that the pot smoking thing will become a storyline down the road, but unless it's some incredible game-changing shit the buildup will have resulted in partially ruining a character.

When they forget about all of this stuff, when they stop trying to partner up odd members of the study group for easy conflict scenarios, when they stop seeding plot points several episodes before they're relevant, when they just go out to make a funny, non-canonical episode, the show works best. I wish they'd stick with that, though it wouldn't make the program's television life last any longer.

And The Big Bang Theory is one of the worst sitcoms ever. That is an indisputable fact.

Crappy Pants

Post by Crappy Pants »

Yohan wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:
Yohan wrote:

:rofl:

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

still my favorite show on tv. i feel like they jump a shark every episode in some way, so anything is possible at this point..

if this show makes it past this season i will be surprised..just doesnt seem likely especially with PnR out there too.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Reggie wrote:I think that Community still struggles with pinning down each character's personality and motives. You never know what you're going to get: Troy the chuckling retard or sympathetic, sensitive Troy. Are you going to get Britta the politically correct wannabe psychologist or Britta the clumsy pothead?
shirley you jest
moved by duck muscles

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

I'm a huge fan, but the last episode doesn't even seem like it was written by the same staff.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Just read on twitter that Community got cancelled?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

reading that they're just benching it a la what they did to parks and rec but it will return at some point in time. still a bummer and seemingly a pretty dumb move
seps wrote:
But "Community" has essentially been on a kamikaze mission for a long time now, going up against "The Big Bang Theory" and one of "American Idol" or "The X Factor" for a while now. It aired after "The Office" briefly at the start of its first season and has had to go it alone ever since. "Whitney," which gets to stay on the schedule - albeit swapping timeslots with "Up All Night" - has done better entirely because of that "Office" lead-in, and has been bleeding viewers almost as quickly as it's been arousing critical pans. "Community" is a mess ratings-wise, but it's one of NBC's few shows that still draws largely unabashed love from critics (and from its shrinking but passionate group of fans). Pulling it off the schedule temporarily given the ratings is understandable; pulling it off the schedule while leaving "Whitney" on is not. Either show is going to do the same pathetic numbers on Wednesdays at 8 - away from its "Office" cocoon, "Whitney" could easily do worse than "Community" would - and one move at least buys continued goodwill from the press and viewers, whereas there's no one outside the immediate families of Whitney Cummings and Chris D'Elia who will be happy that show continues to air, week after week.

"Community" isn't canceled. There will still be a bunch of episodes to air for the rest of this season, and while I try to look at the show as living on borrowed time - it's somewhat miraculous we'll be getting around 70 episodes, mimimum, of such an idiosyncratic, brilliant comedy - given the way NBC's fortunes have gone lately, I can easily see the new product failing so utterly that NBC pulls a "Chuck" and decides to stick with a known, albeit small, audience for a beloved show. (It also may help that "Community" is produced by Sony, which jumped through hoops to get FOX to keep making "Til Death" episodes for the syndication money a few years back.)
moved by duck muscles

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

so are they staying hte same timeslot for this season or taking a leave for acouple months?

Sony better get that syndication money, SEASON 4 BITCHES!
UBM CD COMING SOON

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

30 rock takes over the timeslot starting jan 12th
then who knows. troy and abed in the summer or some such
moved by duck muscles

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

LilLeftBrain wrote:reading that they're just benching it a la what they did to parks and rec but it will return at some point in time. still a bummer and seemingly a pretty dumb move
I know I have critized this season but I really do like the first 2 seasons. I say this for what I am about to say. The dumb move was renewing it for a second and then a 3rd season. The ratings are horriable where the CW is beating it.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

they are and have been horrible no doubt, but have to agree with what sepinwall was saying about how most any of the nbc comedies will founder w/o the support of the office so if it's a choice b/w miserable ratings with whitney on wednesdays or miserable ratings with moving community there, you might as well go with the one that affords you some amount of critical favor (as well as dvd sales/syndication) aka just being butthurt
moved by duck muscles

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Sadly, something like this was bound to happen, especially since the ratings for this third season were lower than expected. I hope we can get as many episodes as possible and perhaps a decent end of the show (although wrapping it up now seems awefully hard to do with so much time left of the characters in college).

Show was living on borrowed time anyway, I had already come to term with it.

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Yeah, this is disappointing but not surprising. I've never seen that Whitney show, and I haven't cared to. Am I missing anything?

I've been watching Up All Night this season, and it's reasonably good. More than a little endearing but Maya Rudolph and Will Arnett (and even Applegate) bring some moderate laughs.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

The people who are watching whitney are missing thirty minutes of their lives each week that they can never get back. You are missing nothing.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

not at all shocking.

up all night, at least the one episode I saw was pretty solid.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Reggie wrote:Yeah, this is disappointing but not surprising. I've never seen that Whitney show, and I haven't cared to. Am I missing anything?

I've been watching Up All Night this season, and it's reasonably good. More than a little endearing but Maya Rudolph and Will Arnett (and even Applegate) bring some moderate laughs.
My wife watches Up All Night and Whitney. Up All Night is pretty good, it'll suck me in occasionally, Maya Rudolph gets a lot of laughs. Whitney is pretty crappy, the main guy is actually pretty funny, the writing...not so much.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I actually liked this past episode of Community. I DVR everything, but only a handful of shows I make sure to watch the same night they air. Community is one of them.

I will admit that I also watch The Big Bang Theory. After every episode I also question why I continue watching it. It's just a force of habit at this point. Community blows it away as far as entertainment value goes.

Up All Night has been my favorite show of this new season.

Never watched Whitney and don't ever plan to.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

My lady friend watches 2 broke girls which is created by whitney and that sucks just as hard if not worse.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

There was a one page column in EW (about two issues back?) about Whitney and its place in NBC's Thursday night lineup which is probably the smartest page I've ever read in that magazine. I can't remember the name of the author and couldn't find it instantly online, but did anybody else read this/have a link? It was about how discordant Whitney is on Thursday nights?

Also, fwiw, this seems to be the way NBC is going (for folks who refused to accept that Community and perhaps P&C are kind of fucked). NBC is developing a thirty minute comedy for next season on (most likely) Thursday nights....with..........

Dane Cook

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

My boy watches whitney lives in the shithole that is known as Milwaukee and said he just thinks of it as the "Ryan Braun Show" since the actor playing whit's bf looks like Braun. I still can't watch that shit, another thing that has to be a laugh track right?
UBM CD COMING SOON

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

it would be better if he thought of whitney as brian braun.

I also dont see parks and rec lasting beyond another season if the ratings dont go up.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Here it is:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20543362,00.html
Who Are You Calling Funny?

By Mark Harris | Nov 04, 2011

People frequently complain when a show gets canceled ג€” but when they're furious that it's still on, something's up. NBC's sitcom Whitney recently won a full-season order, and Internet reaction suggests that although it isn't TV's least popular show right now, it just might be the most hated. Sample tweets: ''The best part of watching...was when I found a Double Stuff Oreo in my couch! The worst part was that my TV was turned on.'' And: ''Usually a show is named after its star so I'm really surprised they didn't name Whitney 'Laughtrack.''' There are others so caustic I can't print them, but you get the point. To people who dislike Whitney, it's not just a bad comedy. It's a kind of violation.

Why the loathing? No question, Whitney's not good. But if ''not good'' were enough to inspire public rage, we'd all be at the Occupy Tim Allen rally right now. The anti-Whitney seething is proof that when it comes to taste in comedy, what divides us is still greater than what unites us. We may be living through a sitcom renaissance (last week, the top five scripted shows among 18- to 49-year-olds were comedies). But that renaissance is mostly built on three separate comedy universes with vastly different rules about what's funny.

Universe No. 1 is CBS' Monday lineup ג€” comedies about sex, romance, and the mating game. The winning How I Met Your Mother and Mike & Molly are both about the bumpy road to true love; Two and a Half Men is about getting laid (maybe it's more nuanced than that, but...no, it's not); and 2 Broke Girls, the Whitney Cummings sitcom that doesn't make people weep blood, will inevitably involve at least two broke guys sooner or later. The tone of these shows is genial and raucous, vagina jokes are exhaustingly common currency, the ''live'' studio audience expresses eardrum-shredding delight, and nobody ever talks to the camera.

Universe No. 2 is ABC's Wednesday lineup. There are no laugh tracks, although the shadowless orange-yellow lighting that has graced all ABC sitcoms since Happy Days promises cheerfulness. These appealing shows ג€” The Middle, Suburgatory, Modern Family ג€” take place mostly in suburbs, not cities, and they're about families, not romance. Their humor is broad, their politics mostly left-of-center, their jokes less genital-based than CBS'. The one outlier, Happy Endings, is younger, raunchier, and Friends-ier. It's a mismatch for the night, but not an egregious one; you can imagine that one of its characters could be a cousin to Phil or Claire Dunphy.

Universe No. 3 ג€” NBC's Thursday lineup ג€” is Cultville, a journey through a land of smart-asses and misfits in which Whitney could not be less at home. It feels like a CBS (Coarse, Brassy, Sitcommy) show that landed on the wrong network on the wrong night, and that's why it incites such indignation.

The NBC comedies ג€” Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office ג€” don't have laugh tracks, they have ironic commentary. They're not about family or friends; they're about people you find yourself semi-contentedly stuck with ג€” in a dead-end college, an Indiana municipal building, a paper-sales branch office. They are sharp, often very funny, sometimes sad and a little bitter. They are what Jim and Pam are watching while Kevin, Andy, Stanley, Meredith, and Kelly are watching CBS' Monday shows. (Ryan is probably only watching Community and complaining that it's not what it once was.) Some weeks, you can sit through NBC's comedies from 8 to 9:30 p.m. ג€” when Whitney begins ג€” and never see the inside of someone's home, the likelihood of sex, or even a smile.

For some of us, that works. Which may be the reason for the ''Who is this bitch and where did she put Liz Lemon?'' reaction to Whitney. We don't get why she's standing in her big setlike apartment playing naughty-nurse games with her boyfriend while banging out one-liners to howls of audience approbation. After 90 minutes of rueful wit, the haunted-house shrieks of laughter in Whitney play like American Horror Story. Which means that the show needs either the addition of Jessica Lange with a meat cleaver, or a different network. But only one of those would make it funnier.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I also have to question why they keep bring 30 Rock back also. The ratings for that are not exactly good and it bombed in syndication so no long term money there. NBC is a mess. I know they have problems all over the place but come on they need to just ax about everything except for fattest loser and the office and start over.

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Has 30 Rock bombed in syndication? It was picked up by at least two cable networks and it runs locally on Fox every night.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Reggie wrote:Has 30 Rock bombed in syndication? It was picked up by at least two cable networks and it runs locally on Fox every night.
Yeah, the caked up in the syndi market. They're getting 800K per episode.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Reggie wrote:Has 30 Rock bombed in syndication? It was picked up by at least two cable networks and it runs locally on Fox every night.
Yeah, the caked up in the syndi market. They're getting 800K per episode.
That is improssive I was talking more about the ratings but give the guy that stole that money a raise. From what I can find its doing about a 1.4 Always Sunny is doing a 1.2. Friends is still doing a 2.5 while How I meet your Mother, 2 and half men and Family Guy are all doing over twice the ratings.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

this is pretty terrible but I'm not really surprised. Reminds me of Arrested Development but there was more of an uproar about that.