Community Season 3 thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

battlecatmeowstab212

Re: Community Season 3 thread

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Reason wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:Looks like Chase is still trying to get off the show.

http://www.vulture.com/m/2012/10/chevy- ... y-set.html

Drop that motherfucker and replace him with Chang. Seriously.

I thought this was a lame duck season and they were ending the show regardless after this year?

Fuck Chevy chase. I have been saying it since the start of this thread - he is a fucking hack and his humor is never subtle

Could u imagine his trying, for example, to pull off that scene in which Joel Mchale starts speaking with Jeff goldblum's cadence and histrionics during his neurotic accusation? Chevy is an obvious motherfucker and mine as well be fucking Larry, moe, and curly in half his scenes

I think the show would have already ended if NBC wasn't such a fucking mess. The only reason Community is still even part of the discussion is because The Office and 30 Rock are ending, Animal Practice has already been cancelled, and Up All Night I think is already done for too. If they've literally got fucking nothing, it makes sense to at least give a couple of very limited runs to a cult favorite (it keeps the show in the news if it keeps staving off death). The other big thing is that after these 13 episodes they'll be at 78 total, and then need to get to 100 episodes to sell the syndication rights. Given how little else they have, if they can get the ratings to justify getting to 100 before stopping, they'll do so (e.g. get up to about a 3.5 and then eek out another 22 before canning it).

As for Chase, he was a fucking gawd in the 80s, but he fucking sucks at this point. By far the weak point of the show. That said McHale becoming a star didn't really happen, so he's still the biggest name they've got. Creatively he's a weak link IMO, but in terms of attracting eyeballs I think his name alone is interpreted as valuable. Canning him now after Harmon was forced out probably wouldn't sit well the small but rabid following that's keeping the show alive, if only barely.
I thought 65 was the minimum number of episodes for syndication rights.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

^ I hope you don't mind I edited your post, you accidentally posted inside popeye's quote & shit was confusing.

Anyways, there's not really a minimum number for syndication whatsoever. Plenty of short run shows have been sold for syndication, just they often go to the smaller niche cable networks and not the big dogs like TNT or TBS. Freaks and Geeks has been aired by 3 different networks and that shit only has 18 episodes. Cult shows can do well on the right networks, can definitely see someone like IFC being very interested in Community.

100 has traditionally always been viewed as a sort of magic # because it makes the rights more attractive to the buyer (basically bc you can play a different episode every day without repeats for a long ass time).
It's certainly not an end-all-be-all though as there have been quite a few 100 episode shows that have failed miserably in syndication.

Anyways I really don't get the hate for Chevy and think losing him creates a major void in the cast. He's the group asshole and the only regular on the cast that serves this purpose. The traditional bad guy roles would be the Dean or John Goodman's character but they're cast against type, so if you lose Pierce you really are losing a major piece of the puzzle as far as sources of conflict and options for storylines. Whether you like him or not, his character serves a very specific purpose. You can't just replace the asshole with the crazy guy (chang) and expect shit is going to work just the same.
I'd much rather them get rid of Shirley, who is really the only completely worthless character on the show.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:^ I hope you don't mind I edited your post, you accidentally posted inside popeye's quote & shit was confusing.

Anyways, there's not really a minimum number for syndication whatsoever. Plenty of short run shows have been sold for syndication, just they often go to the smaller niche cable networks and not the big dogs like TNT or TBS. Freaks and Geeks has been aired by 3 different networks and that shit only has 18 episodes. Cult shows can do well on the right networks, can definitely see someone like IFC being very interested in Community.
Comedy Central acquired the syndication rights to Community earlier this year and will start airing episodes next fall.

One thing about shows that are syndicated is that they're rarely the original broadcast versions. Channels that air syndicated shows add more commercial breaks which means shows have to be cut for time.

That's why I never watch old TV shows on USA, TBS, TV Land, etc... If I miss a show during it's original run I'll try and grab it it on DVD, unless it's several seasons long and too expensive to pick up. Which is why most Seinfeld references are lost on me. I've maybe watched 5 in their entirety, but I'll never sit through a syndicated version.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Good call. My bad on that.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Feb. 7th
'Community': Season 4 gets premiere date
Entertainment Weekly
By Dan Snierson, EW
updated 3:59 PM EDT, Tue October 30, 2012
Fans have eagerly awaited the return of
Fans have eagerly awaited the return of "Community."
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

"Community" will premiere Feb. 7 at 8 p.m
NBC had postponed the show less than two weeks before its earlier planned debut
The news was part of NBC's midseason schedule announcement

(EW.com) -- The timeline just brightened: NBC has finally announced the premiere date for the fourth season of "Community," and it is... Feb. 7 at 8 p.m.

While it's a bit of a wait, the good news for fans is that the community college-set comedy will be airing in its traditional home of Thursdays (in the slot occupied by the departing "30 Rock") instead of Fridays, where it had been slotted for this season. Less than two weeks before season 4′s planned Oct. 19 debut, though, NBC announced that it was postponing "Community," along with fellow Friday comedy "Whitney," while it focused on promoting other nights of its schedule. (Season 2 of Whitney will now debut Wednesday, Nov. 14 in place of the now-cancelled Animal Practice.)

Today's news was part of NBC's midseason schedule announcement, which includes return dates for "Smash" (Feb. 5) and "Revolution" (Mar. 25), and series premiere dates for "Deception," the mystery soap formerly titled "Infamous" (Jan. 7), White House-set comedy "1600 Penn" (Jan. 10), and the Eva Longoria-produced reality series "Ready for Love" (Mar. 31). "The Peacock" also revealed debut dates for new cycles of "The Voice" (March 25), "The Biggest Loser" (Jan. 6), "The Celebrity Apprentice" (Mar. 3), and Betty White's "Off Their Rockers" (Jan. 8).

"Parks and Recreation" will move up an hour on Thursdays to 8:30 p.m., starting Jan. 17. Current 8:30 p.m. resident "Up All Night" will go on hiatus while the single-camera comedy transforms into a multi-camera comedy that's shot in front of a live audience.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/30/showbiz/t ... index.html

citizen

Post by citizen »

LOL february, thats lousy, i want more community now

wtf, transitioning up all night to a studio audience show? i mean up all night is not a great show, but this is going to kill it

is there anyone at NBC who as any idea what they are doing?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

seems pretty fucking stupid
moved by duck muscles

Dan

Post by Dan »

Chevy Chase is gone from Community. They still have 2 episodes to film, but Chevy will not be a part of those remaining episodes.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ohwell,
moved by duck muscles

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

yea i didnt mind his character but not really a huge loss, is it possible harmon may come back if possibly (i know its a longshot) renewed for a fifth season???

None

Post by None »

tehgiftofgab wrote:yea i didnt mind his character but not really a huge loss, is it possible harmon may come back if possibly (i know its a longshot) renewed for a fifth season???
I doubt Harmon will ever be asked to come back to the show if it continues. Sony pretty much did dirt dirt and gave it to dirt.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Dan wrote:Chevy Chase is gone from Community. They still have 2 episodes to film, but Chevy will not be a part of those remaining episodes.
Shit must have gotten even crazier for him to bail/them to boot him with only two eps left to film. Shit basically amounts to dealing with each other for another 12 days of work.

Really hope the final straw stories leak. Have to guess they were writing him off the show in case it gets picked up again, and he got those scripts and just had a tantrum and bailed.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

honestly ill be shocked if these final episodes ever come out.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

ALASKA wrote:honestly ill be shocked if these final episodes ever come out.
Apparently filmed out of order, so the end of the season is already in the can.

Basically there will just be two episodes somewhere in the season that don't happen to have Chase in 'em. This show is so fucking winky and self-referential there's plenty of ways to deal with his absence without it being too jarring. I'd guess they just assume the 30 people who watch this show will already know about this, so they just try to deal with it in a funny way. Who knows, though. New showrunners could be bitchtits and try to do something corny like not mention it or offer some half-baked legitimate justification by the characters on screen.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

i wish community was as loved and popular in real life as it is in my head :\

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

PopeyeJones wrote:
ALASKA wrote:honestly ill be shocked if these final episodes ever come out.
Apparently filmed out of order, so the end of the season is already in the can.

Basically there will just be two episodes somewhere in the season that don't happen to have Chase in 'em. This show is so fucking winky and self-referential there's plenty of ways to deal with his absence without it being too jarring. I'd guess they just assume the 30 people who watch this show will already know about this, so they just try to deal with it in a funny way. Who knows, though. New showrunners could be bitchtits and try to do something corny like not mention it or offer some half-baked legitimate justification by the characters on screen.
Hopefully they do a non-spiteful fan wink, maybe have Annie ask where Pierce is and the rest of the cast does a "dunno" and they go on their way, maybe have him do business in Europe for his Hathorne wipes or just get a replacement ala aunt viv since they are playing with the sitcom medium anyway.
UBM CD COMING SOON

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

http://tvline.com/2012/11/29/chevy-chas ... -spoilers/
Sources confirm to TVLine that the Season 4 finale, which was shot out of sequence once word came down that Chase was exiting, includes a cliffhanger that leaves the fate of several characters up in the air — one of them being Pierce.
All I’m getting from that is they’re writing what may likely be their series finale with a cliff hanger.
moved by duck muscles

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:or just get a replacement ala aunt viv since they are playing with the sitcom medium anyway.
Uhhh, if they stunt cast the woman who actually played the replacement Aunt Viv as replacement Pierce I'd fucking cream myself.

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:or just get a replacement ala aunt viv since they are playing with the sitcom medium anyway.
Uhhh, if they stunt cast the woman who actually played the replacement Aunt Viv as replacement Pierce I'd fucking cream myself.

:lol:

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

:lol: :lol:
moved by duck muscles

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

UBM CD COMING SOON