Eddie Murphy - Rolling Stone Interview.

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

The Afronaut

Eddie Murphy - Rolling Stone Interview.

Post by The Afronaut »

Just read this a bit ago. Great interview. Quite a few literal lols.

Reading the interview actually made me want to see Tower Heist which I have been very on the fence about.

He's discussing life at 50 and random stuff through his career like how his stand-up helped his step-pops to stop drinking. It was good reading.

One quick exerpt: (It's hard not to hear Ed's voice when youre reading this stuff)

On his stepdad giving him whoopins as a kid:
Eddie Murphy wrote:Well you know the boxing glove thing, it was maybe once or twice that happened, it wasnt like he'd beat you and leave you folded up in a corner. That stuff with people disciplining their kids back in the day, its totally different now. You hear about Joe Jackson, who had, what, 10 kids? Youre whippin somebody's ass if you have 10 kids, in this little house! Ten kids, one of them is spinning all around and walking backward and shit? You'd be like, "Somebody's getting their ass whipped" [laughs] It was a whole different time.
Couple other interesting things:

Murphy and Ratner created a fake trailer for a film called SoulSoulSoul which would be a Spinal Tap style mockumentary starring Murphy as a veteran soul singer who is constantly complaining about being ripped off by other artists.
"I didn't kill Berry Gordy's cat, I had Berry Gordy's cat killed, and he knows why!"
Seriously, I am PRAYING this happens. I would love this shit and it would be Eddie doing the type of stuff he does best.

Also, Murphy mentioned he'd like to do a Harlem Nights like project with Chris Rock, Dave Cappelle, Martin Lawrence and Tracy Morgan. The premise he mentioned was crap (brothers getting abducted by aliens on the way to a fight, couldnt tell if he was joking, but who cares. How could this go wrong, right?)

Anyway, there's a lot of other stuff in the interview too, shit was great read. Check it out if you get a chance.
Last edited by The Afronaut on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Has Eddy ever spoken to the legitimacy of his bros stories from the chappelle show?
UBM CD COMING SOON

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Its always been surprising to me that people think Charlie Murphy made those stories up. I mean maybe he made some embellishments here and there but all that shit seems highly plausible to me.

Its the telling of the story that makes it seem "unreal". Charlie's so good with the delivery and details that people are like "this shit cant be real".

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Eddie hasn't been relevant since he taught everyone about ugly feet in Boomerang. Sorry.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Excited about this merely because he actually gave an interview. That's surprising. It would be fucking amazing if someone could talk him into going on Maron or something.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

if Chris Rock, Dave Cappelle, Martin Lawrence and Tracy Morgan made a movie together, minus the whole alien crap, i'd be so happy

Brougham33

Re: Eddie Murphy - Rolling Stone Interview.

Post by Brougham33 »

The Afronaut wrote:Murphy and Ratner created a fake trailer for a film called SoulSoulSoul which would be a Spinal Tap style mockumentary starring Murphy as a veteran soul singer who is constantly complaining about being ripped off by other artists.
"I didn't kill Berry Gordy's cat, I had Berry Gordy's cat killed, and he knows why!"
This could be incredible.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

tehgiftofgab wrote:if Chris Rock, Dave Cappelle, Martin Lawrence and Tracy Morgan made a movie together, minus the whole alien crap, i'd be so happy
I typed that weird, but Eddie would be in this too just to clarify.
Brougham33 wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:Murphy and Ratner created a fake trailer for a film called SoulSoulSoul which would be a Spinal Tap style mockumentary starring Murphy as a veteran soul singer who is constantly complaining about being ripped off by other artists.
This could be incredible.
Im saying dude. They need to gon head and greenlight this immediately.

In fact a combo of the two ideas with Rock, Lawrence, Chapelle and Morgan also being musicians, record execs or what have you in the mockumentary, would probably be the shit.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

PopeyeJones wrote:Excited about this merely because he actually gave an interview. That's surprising. It would be fucking amazing if someone could talk him into going on Maron or something.
:cheers:

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

The Afronaut wrote:In fact a combo of the two ideas with Rock, Lawrence, Chapelle and Morgan also being musicians, record execs or what have you in the mockumentary, would probably be the shit.

Add Jamie Foxx and this would be pretty much perfect.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

^^^I actually also forgot that he mentioned Chris Tucker being involved as well.

The entire SoulSoulSoul concept reminded me of one of my fave EM SNL sketches

<object width="400" height="273"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="273"></embed></object>

"...Yes I can prove it man, and um I suggest you take that sarcasm out yo voice alright, cause Im serious..."

michaelE

Post by michaelE »

Psyched to read a new interview with Eddie but anything involving brett ratner could never be perfect because he is fucking awful.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

this new simmons article has a bunch of great quotes from the book.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/718 ... die-murphy

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

manwhore wrote:this new simmons article has a bunch of great quotes from the book.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/718 ... die-murphy
This was also a good read. Thanks for posting it.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

stupidregister wrote:Eddie hasn't been relevant since he taught everyone about ugly feet in Boomerang. Sorry.
be gone.

not only wuz he robbed for his Oscar in 'Dreamgirls', but this guy has been one of the best comedians of all time, and still will be, even if he does nothing for the next 20 years

Eddie Murphy comedy owned an entire decade. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THAT'S SO FUNNY LATELY
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Afronaut wrote:^^^I actually also forgot that he mentioned Chris Tucker being involved as well.

<object width="400" height="273"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="273"></embed></object>

"...Yes I can prove it man, and um I suggest you take that sarcasm out yo voice alright, cause Im serious..."
"i never heard any sax on any early Beatles songs..."
"are you crazy, man? most of those early songs were MOSTLY SAX"

"Paul still use Afrosheen because of me!"

nobody has the comic sensibilities of Eddie Murphy, not to this day. Not a single one of the great Black comics, nor the White ones, and definitely not Ken Jeong, has come close to capturing Eddie's ubiqiutous brilliance. He said and did things combining comedy and life in ways we all could relate to, but aint nobody come close to him yet...

fuck, if he did that movie with all those guys in it... it would be the best comedy since 'Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood' :cheers: and probably even much better
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:nobody has the comic sensibilities of Eddie Murphy, not to this day. Not a single one of the great Black comics, nor the White ones, and definitely not Ken Jeong, has come close to capturing Eddie's ubiqiutous brilliance.
:lol: Why the random Ken Jeong diss?

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: not only wuz he robbed for his Oscar in 'Dreamgirls'
Did you make a song about it like the one you made for Drake?
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Afronaut wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:nobody has the comic sensibilities of Eddie Murphy, not to this day. Not a single one of the great Black comics, nor the White ones, and definitely not Ken Jeong, has come close to capturing Eddie's ubiqiutous brilliance.
:lol: Why the random Ken Jeong diss?
cause of how much he made my stomach churn with his "role" in Transformers 3, plus his ruination of some MTV award show I saw... like, give up the idiot schtick, homie. You were a fleeting surprise in 'The Hangover'... ONE. That was years ago, and you still haven't topped that moment.

These "throw anything at the wall and see what shit sticks" kind of comedians and musicians are the bane of modern existence. Atrocity entertainment.

:lol:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote: not only wuz he robbed for his Oscar in 'Dreamgirls'
Did you make a song about it like the one you made for Drake?
keep this shit up, AND I'MA MAKE A SONG ABOUT YOU
:nut:

DON'T NOBODY SAY NOTHIN BAD ABOUT NO EDDIE MURPHY. DON'TCHU BE TALKIN SHIT BOUT NO EDDIE MURPHY NOW :ironmike:

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

you are the definitive "throw anything against the wall" kind of musician.
in a bad way.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Julius Seizure wrote:you are the definitive "throw anything against the wall" kind of musician.
in a bad way.
Was just about to say this. Also mindbender really, REALLY needs to make a song about comedy quadaffi song. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

The Afronaut wrote:^^^I actually also forgot that he mentioned Chris Tucker being involved as well.

the sax actually sounded pretty good on those tracks.hahaha

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

The Afronaut wrote: In fact a combo of the two ideas with Rock, Lawrence, Chapelle and Morgan also being musicians, record execs or what have you in the mockumentary, would probably be the shit.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Rock is not a good actor. Great comedian, but not a good actor. Lawrence somewhat. Chapelle also no, not a good actor. Morgan is actually a better actor although not a very good comedian.

I'd like Eddie, DeRay, Morgan, and Cedric or Steve Harvey even better.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Cash Rulz wrote:
The Afronaut wrote: In fact a combo of the two ideas with Rock, Lawrence, Chapelle and Morgan also being musicians, record execs or what have you in the mockumentary, would probably be the shit.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Rock is not a good actor. Great comedian, but not a good actor. Lawrence somewhat. Chapelle also no, not a good actor. Morgan is actually a better actor although not a very good comedian.
I actually agree with you about Rock, but he is the only one of those Id be the least bit worried about not shining in a movie like SoulSoulSoul.

For Lawrence, think Jerome
For Chappelle, think Leonard Washington
For Morgan, think that ep of Martin where he's playing Hustle Man and comes into that music audition playing "Pick Up The Pieces" on a kazoo taped to a saxophone.

Hell now that I think of it, for Rock think CB4.

Point is, I believe these guys could KILL the premise of that movie. Plus they'd have each other to be feeding off of. As long as they didnt let egos get in the way of the funny, the shit could be spectacular.
I'd like Eddie, DeRay, Morgan, and Cedric or Steve Harvey even better.
Not even gonna front, all of the above would be dope. (I'd especially like to see DeRay get the shine he deserves)

If they really tried to recreate a Spinal Tap type vibe were the focus was on Ed's character and everybody played people he encountered/worked with during his career/family members....damn dude Im just saying I hope the project happens. :lol:

And then again maybe all those people would be overkill :shrug:

Look, all I know is, SoulSoulSoul needs to come out regardless...and if the other project Ed was talking about with the other comedians comes out they need to find a better premise immediately. haha.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Trademark wrote:

the sax actually sounded pretty good on those tracks.hahaha
Dude, the part where Eddie starts playing the medley (around 2:41) and "I Want To Hold Your Hand" comes on with the sax and he ad-libs "Hah, c'mon yall" gets me EVERY TIME. Cant even hear the OG version now with out thinking about that joke. :lol:

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

eddie needs to make one last stand-up movie to complete the trilogy. imagine how good that could be at this point of his life, with all the fuck you money he could ever need.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

The Afronaut wrote:[And then again maybe all those people would be overkill :shrug:
That's what I was thinking. Its like "Roscoe Jenkins". When you get too many in one spot, it seems more like an acting competition than people playing their roles. I like those other cats because they have been supporting actors much more than leading and are good at it where I feel like when you get too many lead actors in a flick, its fucks it up.