Mad Men season 4 thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Mad Men season 4 thread

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

None

Post by None »

I thought this was a great set up to the season, and had some fantastic Draper fucking up and Draper getting all kinky moments. The end was pretty fantastic. Also, I fucking hate Draper's cunt wife and hope she and her new guy murder-suicides them both off the fucking show.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

I hate that faggot senator that scooped up Draper's ex-wife. First episode was great though and it looks like it will be a great season.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Great episode. So glad this is back on. "Minute to Win It" was getting stale.

perlman

Post by perlman »

Draper really pwned that senator in a verbal joust!
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

thought the premiere opened up the season properly. its gonna be interesting to see how they turn draper into a tony soprano-esque anti-hero this year by making him get into darker shit (ie the stripper slappin him up) and having a gigantic ego (the last scene). its hard to tell how much of the ego is based on him feeling obligated to sell the new company to clients, but i'd imagine that he'll get pretty used to be an arrogant dickhead. should be fun to watch unfold

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

wow i didn't expect them to spend the whole episode just shitting on draper left and right. the whole point seemed to be to knock him off the pedestal that he was put on in the last 2 seasons

the ep had a slightly different feel too, not as subtle and deliberate as the show usually is. almost every scene was swinging for teh fences.

Tariq's Dilemma

Post by Tariq's Dilemma »

drizzle wrote:wow i didn't expect them to spend the whole episode just shitting on draper left and right. the whole point seemed to be to knock him off the pedestal that he was put on in the last 2 seasons

the ep had a slightly different feel too, not as subtle and deliberate as the show usually is. almost every scene was swinging for teh fences.
Yeah when the 4 partners entered the new office and they had the music playing it almost seemed like a parody of itself.

Seems like the show is content to give fans what they want.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

they did have two moments though that were both vintage mad men in execution and strong building blocks for this whole new premise of a knocked down draper:

a. when don smooths out the bed spread prior to the date, as if getting the girl back to the appt is a foregone conclusion. and then he doesn't get laid. great writing there because it's such a small detail that it seems like nothing when it happens, and its significance doesn't even become apparent until some minutes later

b. the scene where draper is picking up his kids and henry casually comes down the stairs and greets him dismissively and you realize draper doesn't have the upper hand in the situation at all

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

Tariq's Dilemma wrote:
drizzle wrote:wow i didn't expect them to spend the whole episode just shitting on draper left and right. the whole point seemed to be to knock him off the pedestal that he was put on in the last 2 seasons

Yeah when the 4 partners entered the new office and they had the music playing it almost seemed like a parody of itself.

Seems like the show is content to give fans what they want.
This criticism is on point. Also when Christina Hendricks character(drawing a blank on the name) was shown for the first time it seemed almost like a scene from Sex in the City or some standard sitcom. Queue applause and a slight chime noise and shit.

Don getting slapped had no subtlety to it either. Was this episode directed by someone different?

Still plenty to enjoy which trumped the bad aspects but Mad Men is generally pretty flawless to me. This premiere was not.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Just starting to get into this. I've seen a few episodes before and I've always liked what I saw, but I'm going to try and follow the whole season this year.

Pete is a perfectly written and acted office tool. I feel sorry for the actor who plays him because he's going to be typecast like a mug for the rest of his life.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i'll looking at recaps all over, and it seems like a lot of people read the sex slap differently than I did.

i don't see it as a signifier of any kind of fetishism, which is what a lot of people apparently got from it.

it's a guilt thing imo. he's obviously struggling with the current situation, and taking that idea further is maybe actually depressed (all the napping immediately made me think of Tony Soprano always sleeping a lot during his low points)

also it was interesting that the hooker is def a joan type - redhead with big ass and titties. not surprising since joan was always the show's symbol for the ultimate sex object. draper should just get it over with and bone her instead

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

not one mention of how great roger sterling was in this episode. he had three or four great roger sterling one liners in the first 5 minutes alone.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

at this point it'd be like discussing how nice a sunny day is every time there is a sunny day

the best part wasn't even the one liners, the best part is what he had in mind when saying something along the lines of "i don't even want to say out loud what i think you life is like because it's too depressing" is probably exactly what don's life is actually like

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

that was hilarious

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

fuck he had something great about the 1 legged dude and i can't remember it for shit now

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

Betty is more miserable, and stone colder than ever, and is going to find out life won't be any better with the senator. Probably worse.

Solid premiere. Look forward to seeing Don Draper on a power trip this season.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

drizzle wrote:fuck he had something great about the 1 legged dude and i can't remember it for shit now
he had one about how ad age was so cheap they only sent half a man.

and then he had one something along the lines of "who is peg leg pete to say anything about anyone anyway"

apparently ad age was pissed about it and wrote a scathing rebuttle about how advertising really was back in the day

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

I was a little concerned after the premiere, but phew...this week's episode was 10x better.

Only off moment to me was when Joan was leading the conga line. The show really seems to be playing into the hype surrounding her now.

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

CSI: Who's Don Going to Bang?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Cowy wrote: Only off moment to me was when Joan was leading the conga line. The show really seems to be playing into the hype surrounding her now.
she is explicitly stated to be one of the party's main attractions and is generally the organizer of everything, it would be strange if she wasn't leading it

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

i don't give a shit if they're playing into the hype for christina hendricks. the more screen time she gets the better. she's fucking gorgeous.

i thought the episode was good, not as good as the premier though. i was actually hoping he would get rejected by his secretary; just another blow to his ego. loved how salty roger was when he had to play santa as well.

perlman

Post by perlman »

I liked how he turned his secretary into a hooker in the matter of a few hours.
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

None

Post by None »

QWALMS wrote:loved how salty roger was when he had to play santa as well.
To me that was the best part of the episode, I was waiting for him to blow up on Lee, and fucking up the only account they had going for them, but I figured that was unrealistic.

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

drizzle wrote:
Cowy wrote: Only off moment to me was when Joan was leading the conga line. The show really seems to be playing into the hype surrounding her now.
she is explicitly stated to be one of the party's main attractions and is generally the organizer of everything, it would be strange if she wasn't leading it
My gripe had nothing to do with the fact she was leading the line. It was that it was shot way over the top and she was overacting. Re-watch that 5 seconds without fapping and you'll see it.

None

Post by None »

Cowy wrote:Re-watch that 5 seconds without fapping and you'll see it.
Come on now, we're all only human.

craig

Post by craig »

pretty good episode i thought. good to see don and lane chopping it up. also no betty draper :cheers:

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

kind of a heart-wrenching episode. all kinds of bad shit happening. looking forward to an upswing next ep.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Really good episode...it was ill to see Don actually go through losing someone that he considered as "family".

Don and Lane getting fucked up and getting hookers was hilarious.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

it is a CHORE trying to watch season 1.