Veep

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

LilLeftBrain

Veep

Post by LilLeftBrain »

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/soJggb_jDL8?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/soJggb_jDL8?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
shit shall be so good
moved by duck muscles

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Potential.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

looks like in the loop the tv show, which is just fine
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

drizzle wrote:looks like in the loop the tv show, which is just fine
Is that show any good? It comes up on some "If you like Parks & Rec, youll like..." shit every time I watch a Parks & Rec episode on Hulu.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

wait hold on, i meant this show looks like a tv show version of In The Loop, the movie. is there an actual In The Loop the official tv show too?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

My bad. Was not aware of the film. The show Im referencing is called The Loop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Loop_%28TV_series%29

Didnt realize til I read the wiki page that it was a show on Fox from 5 years ago. Thought it was a current internet-born series.

On Topic: Good to see Tony Hale getting work again.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oooh i c

anyway, in the loop the movie the tv show is this show that is the subject of this thread

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

drizzle wrote:looks like in the loop the tv show, which is just fine
it should be a great thing
moved by duck muscles

citizen

Post by citizen »

looks kind of wacky, which she can pull off pretty well

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

this was hysterical
in the loop the tv show starring elaine benes does indeed seem a pretty apt description of it, but of course that's a great thing
'hoist by our own retard' & the whole speech prior (kitten heels!) was next level
really loved the corn starch spoon becoming disfigured in the hot coffee and elaine's response of 'what am i supposed to do with this? eat around corners?'

also had no idea that the girl from in the loop & this is the girl from my girl :ohsh:
moved by duck muscles

eight

Post by eight »

maybe i got the wrong end of the stick and you all know about it already, but In the Loop was itself a spin-off of a TV show, The Thick of It

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thick_of_It

which was pretty good. Veep looks so too.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

word, knew that but never got around to watching it so went w/ the familiar reference. gonna go head and find some links for it now
moved by duck muscles

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Pretty good first episode. I will definitely keep watching. Julia's interns are jokes.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

another great hbo show that nobody will watch. will be very surprised if it gets another season. but the short run will probably be sweet

Post by 907 »

drizzle wrote:another great hbo show that nobody will watch. will be very surprised if it gets another season. but the short run will probably be sweet
:larry:

I think you're underestimating how much (olderwhite) people love Seinfeld and HBO Sunday night programing. Just look at our boy LD, for fucks sake. I think this will be popular enough to stay on a while, granted it stays as funny as the pilot.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

nah curb has a wider appeal and far more easy obvious lols and punchlines

this shit is too too deadpan, a lot the jokes are too subtle and too insider-ish. it's lucky to have thrones as a lead in for the moment, but that wont help too much. and the back end of it is girls, which targets literally the opposite audience

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:nah curb has a wider appeal and far more easy obvious lols and punchlines

this shit is too too deadpan, a lot the jokes are too subtle and too insider-ish. it's lucky to have thrones as a lead in for the moment, but that wont help too much. and the back end of it is girls, which targets literally the opposite audience
This show isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It was supposed to debut over a year ago as the pilot originally submitted was based entirely on Palin. Then "Game Change" was in development and execs decided to shift the direction of the script because they were already making Palin look like she is retarded in a dramatic format; so why do the same to her under a comedic umbrella?

I have no clue what the ratings arem, but Louis-Dreyfus is a big enough draw and has enough of her own ideas invested in the show to not keep it around for at least three seasons. And the jokes aren't "subtle" or "insider-ish" if you can read and write by yourself. For instance: "Its been pencil-fucked??!!" "Yes: front and back; very little romance." and "I'm from the White House. FUCK YOU." That's just funny shit.

I couldn't tell you fuckall about fantasy football, but I love "The League" and everyone was saying anyone who wasn't a hardcore enthusiast of fantasy football would hate the show or "not get it." It's par for the course.

Great show.

And actually the only genuine threat of "Veep" being taken off the air prematurely would be due to the small, but growing, chorus of women in politics and all their various advocacy groups who are now claiming this show demeans women and discourages them from becoming involved in politics at a high-profile level.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i'm rooting for this show as much as you. but realistically, based on previous HBO m.o. this will maybe last another season based on reviews and prestige status and then go down based on weak ratings like other great hbo shows that were basically too good for their own good.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

live in the now ya'll

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

great pilot and gets better on repeated viewings. i share drizzle's concerns but i'm trying to be a bit more optimistic about word of mouth getting around on the show. the cast and writing are solid, at least from what i've seen, and if it stays at that level, it could be a quality show for at least a couple seasons.

buster bluth kills in this and i dont think any chick other than julia louis dreyfuss could pull off the role. her range is great.

favorite quote of the first episode (regarding glasses) "they're like wheelchairs for the eyes"

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Employee wrote:
This show isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It was supposed to debut over a year ago as the pilot originally submitted was based entirely on Palin. Then "Game Change" was in development and execs decided to shift the direction of the script because they were already making Palin look like she is retarded in a dramatic format; so why do the same to her under a comedic umbrella?
Link? I've seen the conservative blogs desperately trying to insist that this is somehow a commentary on Palin, but I really don't see it at all. Haven't seen this anywhere, and just searched for it and didn't find it.

(ex: The fantasy land of Breitbart's website: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/ ... alin-redux
Palin's own website trying to spin straw into gold: http://sarahpalininformation.wordpress. ... iece-veep/ )
Employee wrote: I couldn't tell you fuckall about fantasy football, but I love "The League" and everyone was saying anyone who wasn't a hardcore enthusiast of fantasy football would hate the show or "not get it." It's par for the course.

Great show.
Yep. Agreed. Show is great. Great comparison to The League, too.
Employee wrote: And actually the only genuine threat of "Veep" being taken off the air prematurely would be due to the small, but growing, chorus of women in politics and all their various advocacy groups who are now claiming this show demeans women and discourages them from becoming involved in politics at a high-profile level.
This narrative about outraged feminists is also something I've only seen on conservative websites. Where is this actually happening? Ms. Magazine for insistence, really likes the show. I have yet to hear or read a single outraged feminist (let alone a growing chorus), and I of all people should have my ear to the ground on those things.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2012/04 ... -politics/

Edit: Gloria Feldt? Whoever she is, just found her. You talking about the Forbes thing?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I knew I forgot to check this out when it premiered. Thanks for reminding me.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

samdoom wrote:gets better on repeated viewings.
truth. watched it again last night and picked up on much more than on the initial watch

can't imagine anyone truly believes that this has fuck all to do w/ palin (or ever did)
moved by duck muscles

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Employee wrote:
Link? I've seen the conservative blogs desperately trying to insist that this is somehow a commentary on Palin, but I really don't see it at all. Haven't seen this anywhere, and just searched for it and didn't find it.

(ex: The fantasy land of Breitbart's website: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/ ... alin-redux
Palin's own website trying to spin straw into gold: http://sarahpalininformation.wordpress. ... iece-veep/ )
I'm not sure what you're getting at there. The original script was submitted in 2010 and based on Palin; that was scrapped when Game Change came along and HBO decided to abandon any hints of Palin and run with creating an original character. So I don't think it is a commentary on Sarah Palin because its not.
PopeyeJones wrote:This narrative about outraged feminists is also something I've only seen on conservative websites. Where is this actually happening? Ms. Magazine for insistence, really likes the show. I have yet to hear or read a single outraged feminist (let alone a growing chorus), and I of all people should have my ear to the ground on those things.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2012/04 ... -politics/

Edit: Gloria Feldt? Whoever she is, just found her. You talking about the Forbes thing?
^Last week on MSNBC they were teasing an interview Maddow was going to do with Louis-Dreyfus or someone critical to the show's existence. Anyway, there was a soundbite of some female rep. from NY (I think) chiding the show for its treatment of women in politics. I'll PM you the links to other stuff I have if I have it (don't want to gay the thread).

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

No problem. Just curious.

Was really expecting to hate this show, and the pilot was awesome.

The second episode of Girls was really good too. We're not really the audience for it and I can't say I like it that much, but shit was definitely quality.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

drizzle wrote:i'm rooting for this show as much as you. but realistically, based on previous HBO m.o. this will maybe last another season based on reviews and prestige status and then go down based on weak ratings like other great hbo shows that were basically too good for their own good.
i know you're calling it already that it'll be canceled just off the first pilot but its a bit soon for that. besides, they have to show some more character and plot development. give it a little time before you say its a wrap for this show.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

ardamus wrote:besides, they have to show some more character and plot development.
Have read a couple places that the first three eps are all funny, but don't really develop anything or seem like they're trying to head anywhere in those regards.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

asides from the one major plot point we all know is coming (and was actually surprised it didn't happen in the pilot), there's no need for any of that here and the show will be far better off for it
moved by duck muscles

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

PopeyeJones wrote:
ardamus wrote:besides, they have to show some more character and plot development.
Have read a couple places that the first three eps are all funny, but don't really develop anything or seem like they're trying to head anywhere in those regards.
Yeah but like I said, you still have to wait because that's only the first three episodes. I guess for me, you have to check out a full complete season to get the idea of what a show is developing into. Whether it should continue on or just stop. I think reading reviews and calling it after one episode is jumping the gun a bit.

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

ugh.. this show is kinda not funny because its too real.. politicians really do spend all their time just analyzing things like they did on Seinfeld and that's seriously not funny. that was my first impression but this episode won me over a little bit though the sneeze block had me rolling.. it's such a good cast something good is bound to come of it..
illegal mind shoe lace