Dan's DVD Picks for March 6th

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Dan

Dan's DVD Picks for March 6th

Post by Dan »

I wasnג€™t expecting to be doing this thread this week since I thought Andvil would be back, but he has informed me that he really has no interest in doing it anymore. I can understand where heג€™s coming from, as it is extremely time consuming. I told him I enjoy doing it, so as long as thereג€™s no objections from anyone, Iג€™ll try and keep doing it each and every week.
If you have any suggestions for this weekly thread, let me know. Am I posting too many titles? Should I do a set number each week? Should I skip DVD only releases and only post whatג€™s available on Blu-ray?
Everyone seems to like the ג€˜Dump the DVDג€™ section, so Iג€™ll continue that.

Dan's DVD Picks for March 6, 2012

The Skin I Live In (2011)
dir. Pedro Almod

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Pre-ordered Game of Thrones & To Catch A Thief. Hopefully they keep putting out more Hitchcock on blu, rumored that we're getting Vertigo The Birds later this year. (Also, pretty sure Criterion has the rights to Foreign Correspondent so that one's pretty likely as well).

Nice that someone rereleased Grave of the Fireflies, anyone who thinks cartoons are only for kids needs to watch this.

Did anyone here see Immortals? gutted I missed it in theaters, love everything Tarsem has done prior.
Last edited by Tommy Bunz on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

And Dan, about your comments regarding this thread.
Personally I think the more releases you list the better, everyone has different tastes, I'm probably more interested in the blu-ray rereleases than anything but there are a lot of posters here that still ony have dvd players. You're the one putting in the work though so really its whatever you want to do.

thanks for keeping the thread alive and many many thanks to Andvil for doing it for as long as he did.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Yeah, I think the way you've got it set up is smart, arranging releases from the best to the trashiest on the way down. No complaints here, I love checking this weekly post.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Duh, hey Tennessee, how about another riddle?

Good job Dan!

aleph

Re: Dan's DVD Picks for March 6th

Post by aleph »

Dan wrote:Am I posting too many titles?
No way. I need to know about everything that's out there, keep up the good work dude

aleph

Post by aleph »

Dan wrote:Am I posting too many titles?
No way. I need to know about everything that's out there, keep up the good work dude

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

def do not skip new dvds
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Tommy Bunz wrote:thanks for keeping the thread alive and many many thanks to Andvil for doing it for as long as he did.
moved by duck muscles

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Dan wrote: Image

Adventure Time: It Came from the Nightosphere (2010)

Iג€™ve never seen this show, but apparently this is just a random collection of episodes rather than a season set. I hate when studios do that and would never support these types of releases, but if youג€™re a fan, maybe you donג€™t care and just want whatever they put out.

Product Description:
The Cartoon Network's Emmy(R) nominated series that centers on the post apocalyptic adventures of Finn, a human boy with a funny hat, and his friend Jake, a magic and mischievous dog, comes back to DVD in "It Came from the Nightosphere", packed with 16 new, fun, and exciting episodes from the three magical seasons.
This show is funny as fuck if you smoke a lot of pot.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

is Recoil the one with the robotic insects?

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

Anyone know about the transfer on the plan 9?

I saw a trailer for a new(?) Manos the hands of fate that looked fucking pristine

I really dig painstaking loving restoration of notoriously bad movies
Hemingway Novel Model

Dan

Post by Dan »

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll keep doing it the way I've been doing it.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Funky Butler wrote:Anyone know about the transfer on the plan 9?

I saw a trailer for a new(?) Manos the hands of fate that looked fucking pristine

I really dig painstaking loving restoration of notoriously bad movies
Bluray.com review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Plan-9-Fr ... ray/37931/

Only ever saw the MST3K version of Manos, which Shout Factory just put out a special edition of, is that what you are referring to?
I agree though, I want every shitty movie to get put out in hi-def. Getting demo-quality copies of the Ernest movies last year was a highlight.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I feel like there should be a "Dan, you're the man" emoticon created.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

LilLeftBrain wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:thanks for keeping the thread alive and many many thanks to Andvil for doing it for as long as he did.

any comments about about the movies you've seen are much appreciated also.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Did anyone here see Immortals? gutted I missed it in theaters, love everything Tarsem has done prior.

watched this the other night at home in 3D and the shit was visually spectacular, but the acting and some of the characters were not up to par imo.

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

Im a big fan of tarsem singh or tarsem or whatever the fuck he calls himself. I thought immortals was dope as shit. It really hammered home a sort of mythological feeling and the action was off the chain. It was pretty nuch what 300 wanted to be but didnt have the skills to back up
Hemingway Novel Model

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Picked up Games of Thrones and Miami Vice so far.

Will rent Foot Loose because it does not look as good as the Step up series.

Waiting for Senna on blu ray or might just buy the UK version or something. The only thing missing is the interview he gave about the 88? Monoco quilifing lap where he talked about he was going so fast that he was scared for the first time in his life behind the wheel.