Total Recall Remake

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Total Recall Remake

Post by drizzle »

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T-Jt9RCy4v4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T-Jt9RCy4v4&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

trailer for a trailer

lol and smh at the existance of all of it, from this teaser to the remake to that weird bass sound effect thats in every trailer to collin ferrel himself - this is the real reason terrorist hate us
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Wooooommmm

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

as long as theres a 3tittited bitch, there will be no complaints from me.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i feel like philip k dick fans don't like the old one cause it's not super cereal enough for them. there's not enough footage here to say for sure but it seems like this one is thuper thuper thereal. at least it won't be a rehash.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

i read the phillip k dick story after watching total recall as a kid. I loved total recall, and i think it stands on its own as an incredible sci fi. the original story is definitely much more of a social commentary than the film was. i'm not convinced at all that this is the direction that this new film is going in, and wont see it until there is critical consensus that this version is legitimately more "true" to the material. if it isn't then what's the point?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

with colin farrel starring my guess is it's a straight action movie. dudes an alright actor but can't choose roles for shit. still i will prob take a chance based on brand name alone.................. i am whats wrong with hollywood.
1. Nas
2. Drake

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:i feel like philip k dick fans don't like the old one cause it's not super cereal enough for them. there's not enough footage here to say for sure but it seems like this one is thuper thuper thereal. at least it won't be a rehash.
oh no not a rehash at all, hardly a similarity to be seen

i'm sure die hard pk dick fans will appreciate this one a lot more since in the og story the main character never leaves earth, and that's clearly what happens in this movie where they go to mars

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

If there's no part where there's a big fat fake bitch yelling two weeks over and over again, I want no parts. I'll wait until its torrented.

bent

Post by bent »

I loved the OG and I'll probably love his one too.

Don't be so grumpy you guyz

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

ran the original back recently

this is a good idea

will pay to see
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Why the fuck are there Geth included in this movie?
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

drizzle wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:i feel like philip k dick fans don't like the old one cause it's not super cereal enough for them. there's not enough footage here to say for sure but it seems like this one is thuper thuper thereal. at least it won't be a rehash.
oh no not a rehash at all, hardly a similarity to be seen
are you saying you heard they tried to do a shot for shot remake or are you just being cute (nh)
1. Nas
2. Drake

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

Willie B wrote:as long as theres a 3tittited bitch, there will be no complaints from me.
i was going to say they should 1 up the og and make a 4 tittied bitch.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

I hope they have the midget that busts shots and stabbed dude in the dick. Or at least a new midget.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

bbatson1 wrote:I hope they have the midget that busts shots and stabbed dude in the dick. Or at least a new midget.
:cheers:

totally iconic moments in movie history.

I personally would like to see a dude with a fucking talking mutant midget coming out his belly too, that was great!

they filmed the Total Recall remake in Toronto, and I organized a concert last summer instead of doing extra work on set for 3 days that I was propositioned a contract to do. The concert was not worth the energy invested, and I really fuckin wished that I chose to be in the Total Recall remake instead.

:owens:

4 titties. "TwOoooOOoo WeeEEeeks". 6 kids to feed. And "see you at the party, Richter!!" *tosses two severed arms down elevator shaft*

movie needs awesomeness like THIS ^^^ :rockout:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GljhR5rk5eY?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GljhR5rk5eY?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That trailer actually looked great. Even if it's a piece of shit movie, it's worth checking for Beckinsale and Biel. Shame there's no "get your ahzz to Marhzz!" though.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Looks really ghey.

starks

Post by starks »

Moolah wrote:Looks really ghey.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the shit they took from the original movie is remade almost shot for shot, and it looks like they heavily ripped from bladerunner and minority report too. putting distaste for that aside it looks like a decent rental

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

drizzle wrote:the shit they took from the original movie is remade almost shot for shot, and it looks like they heavily ripped from bladerunner and minority report too. putting distaste for that aside it looks like a decent rental
Yeah, i'll end up watching this on a plane at some point. Looks ok.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

any chance of an Arny cameo?

hustler

Post by hustler »

starks wrote:
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

What is with the string of Verhoven remakes in the pipeline? Might as well remake Chinatown, Citizen Kane and Godfather 2 if they want to fuck with masterpieces.

elohim

Post by elohim »

Sorry to bump this thread but..
hustler wrote:
starks wrote:

Visually, I know it'll be worth seeing and as much as I didn't like Ahhhhnold in the OG role, was this really worth remaking with fucking Farrell? Does it really take Ridley Scott to make a single classic PKD movie? A Scanner Darkly was ok with Linklater, but christ on a crutch; the dude who did Underworld and Live Free or Die Hard? Really? Paycheck 2.0, anybody?

On the bright side, atleast Harold dies in the trailer

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/06/new- ... hooker.php

second trailer

still looks like a mashup of ripoffs but a decent scifi shootemup none the less

alpha

Post by alpha »

its gonna be awesome. fuckwhatyouheard

JaH BLaZe

total recall remake

Post by JaH BLaZe »

been seeing the trailers for this in spiderman and darknight
and looks like the lines are the same
the efx look proper tho
i dont know
whatchall think about this one

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: total recall remake

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

JaH BLaZe wrote:been seeing the trailers for this in spiderman and darknight
and looks like the lines are the same
the efx look proper tho
i dont know
whatchall think about this one
alpha wrote:its gonna be awesome. fuckwhatyouheard
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

REVIEW: TOTAL RECALL IS COMPLETELY FORGETTABLE

by Peter Martin, August 1, 2012 12:01 AM

ACTION, USA & CANADA

Two or three explanatory sentences quickly whizz by at the beginning of Len Wiseman's Total Recall, setting up a different world than the one created by Paul Verhoeven's 1990 film version of Philip K. Dick's story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale," first published in 1966.

In brief, something really bad happens in the future, rendering the entire world uninhabitable, save for the United Federation of Britain (UFB) and the Colony, as future people evidently refer to the former Australia and/or New Zealand. (I was taking notes, but the graphics whizz by awfully fast.) Also in the future, a new transportation system has been built, providing a super-fast direct connection between UFB and the Colony through the center of the Earth. (Boy, those graphics are on and off screen fast, brother!)

Cohaagen (Bryan Cranston), UFB's unquestioned leader, rules with an iron fist, backed by an army of humans, and also robot soldiers called Synthetics, which are made in factories like the one where our putative hero, Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell) toils with increasing disgruntlement. Doug is married to the amazingly beautiful and fit Lori (Kate Beckinsale), and he has a best friend named Harry (Bokeem Woodbine), but, see, he keeps having these dreams, weird dreams where he's running around with another beautiful and fit woman (Jessica Biel) while dangerous people with guns are chasing them, and it seems so real ...

If you've seen the original version multiple times, as I have, then you know where the story is going; if you haven't seen it, I won't spoil it. (The above description covers no more than the first 10 minutes or so.)

Those first 10 minutes firmly establish that Total Recall exists in the same stylistic realm as Wiseman's Underworld and Underworld: Evolution -- with a tight color palette, mostly confined to dark blues, greys, and inky blacks -- and shares the same lack of affinity for classic action traditions as Live Free or Die Hard. In other words, they are well-nigh incomprehensible, as far as being able to locate and/or recognize the characters within each scene. It's all a blur of motion and speed and bloodless PG-13 violence, which provides as much excitement as watching an electric blender in action. And as the chopped-up bits accumulate, any interest that might have been generated by the potential of the premise is steadily dissipated.

Tempting as it is to lay all the responsibility for the film's woeful quality solely on Wiseman, there's plenty of blame to go around.

The numerous extended action sequences are cut by Christian Wagner in the same manner as his editing work on films by Michael Bay, Tony Scott, and Justin Lin, so if you love those films, you may be in luck. Likewise, Paul Cameron, a fellow colloborator of Tony Scott, served as director of photography, so you can rest assured that the numerous lens flares are entirely intentional.

In front of the camera, Farrell acts like a man whose memory has been wiped clean and replaced with styrofoam. (And it's not like the bar for the role was set terribly high by Arnold Schwarzennegger in the first place.) Beckinsale remains cold and calculating, as though her character from Underworld had been transplated to the future. Biel emotes admirably, but cannot generate any chemistry with Farrell, which undermines a key element of the story. Cranston is given precious little screen time and is memorable only for his silly hair style (or hair piece). Woodbine is fine in a small role, as is John Cho, but Bill Nighy can't do anything with his anemic character.

The script, for which Kurt Wimmer and Mark Bomback are credited, fails to establish what, exactly, is at stake for the people of Planet Earth. Without a clear understanding of the stakes, the characters lack any motivation for their actions, other than a vague sense of "kinda good" vs. "sorta bad." As far as it goes, the motivation is provided by someone saying "Catch that guy," someone questioning "Why?", and receiving the answer: "Because I say so!"

Beyond a sprinkling of homages to the 1990 version, the reboot's limited strengths are displayed in the highly-detailed special effects, the strong production design, and some of the futuristic ideas for products that are showcased. (Although even in these areas, the film's debts to Blade Runner and I, Robot are inescapable.) Again, those are things that Len Wiseman knows how to handle, and handle pretty well; but action and story and characters and acting, not so much.

Perhaps it all comes back to producer Neal Moritz, whose films have grossed more than $5 billion at the box office. Scrolling through a list of his credits is rather a dispiriting experience, much like sitting through Total Recall, whose sole ambition is to make money as efficiently as possible, like a stylish yet counterfeit product spit out by an assembly line in a factory.

In that, Moritz may succeed once again, even if no one remembers this pallid remake after the closing credits roll.

Total Recall opens in Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Canada, and the U.S. on Friday, August 3.
Oh dear.