Official Breaking Bad Season 5 Thread.

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

hustler

Re: Official Breaking Bad Season 5 Thread.

Post by hustler »

blastmaster wrote:Am I a dick if I felt just a bit underwhelmed?
no, i also felt this way. everything sortof went as predicted but there was no way it was gona blow us away cuz we had already built it up so huge in our minds, and we had already analyzed and thought about all the possible conclusions so there was no way for there to be any major twists or surprises.

it was a decent finale to a great show. i give the series a 10/10 and the finale a 7.5/10
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

so much analysis and prediction took place before hand that it felt like there were no surprises in the finale. every thing that happened in the ep was predicted somewhere or another in this thread or other places i peep on the webz. can't be mad at that though.

cool that the last shot of the show really did mirror that one shot where he found out all his money was gone from the house that everyone said was foreshadowing his death.

Last edited by intuition on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

I didn't care for Lydia getting the ricin, but only because it's what everyone has been predicting for the past year. Didn't seem necessary from Walt's perspective either. Outside of that, thought it was right in line with everything else this year.

Walt went to the meth lab to preserve his legend. He wants the world to think he had been cooking it all along, and took his recipe to the grave.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

that..wasn't very good.
mayhap i was spoiled by watching the shields masterpiece of a finale earlier this week, but this didn't do it for me at all
it was actually really fucking moronic
moved by duck muscles

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Ok glad I'm not alone. It was safe, which is totally not what I expected.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Tommy Bunz wrote:him saying goodbye to Holly was sad as shit.

What got me was watching him look at his son for the last time. Something as quotidian as walking to the house and opening a door came across as epic and emotional, and you could see the pain in Walt's face.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

5a wasn't all that, but taking it on it's own (why would you) 5b was an amazing home run stretch tho
moved by duck muscles

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

TeenageMoustache wrote:Walt went to the meth lab to preserve his legend. He wants the world to think he had been cooking it all along, and took his recipe to the grave.

A nice idea, but the world knows that he had been living in New Hampshire.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

intuition wrote:Image
surely wasn't the only one thinking about that
moved by duck muscles

WES RESTLESS

Post by WES RESTLESS »

hustler wrote:did anyone else think he was gona cook one last batch at the end?
I thought maybe he was about to smoke some at the end

goider

Post by goider »

Combo7 wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:him saying goodbye to Holly was sad as shit.

What got me was watching him look at his son for the last time. Something as quotidian as walking to the house and opening a door came across as epic and emotional, and you could see the pain in Walt's face.
That scene was dope. As if Walt was already dead, only being able to watch his son as a ghost.

hustler

Post by hustler »

blastmaster wrote:Am I a dick if I felt just a bit underwhelmed?
no, i also felt this way. everything sortof went as predicted but there was no way it was gona blow us away cuz we had already built it up so huge in our minds, and we had already analyzed and thought about all the possible conclusions so there was no way for there to be any major twists or surprises.

it was a decent finale to a great show. i give the series a 10/10 and the finale a 7.5/10
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

alpha

Post by alpha »

please nit pick some more guys...

show ended the best way it could.

noone guessed the big gun scene. noone guessed how the gray matter shit would play out. ie, all you guys wasting posts after posts guessing shit didn't know shit. they kept us guessing all the way to the end and :cheers:

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah i'll agree it def wasn't predictable, those posts are nonsense. was thinking when the grey matter shit went down, well, this isn't what anyone was thinking and it's kinda perfect. beav/skinny pete were obviously the ones out there, but that was great. laser pointers all dodgy and all. it lost me at uncle jack dragging jesse into the equation. it fits fully in line with what this shows always relied on and those stupid action movie moves of logic have always killed it from being one of the goats, imo
moved by duck muscles

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Pretty schwag. All way too tight. Granted, there's no way satisfy everyone/all the story lines. But for a show that thrived on ambiguity, tying everything up so neatly felt like a disservice to everything that came before the finale. Whatever tho. It still one of the greatest shows ever, and I'm gonna miss it. We may never see another series that great again. Which makes Felina (down to the corny anagram) so disappointing.

Also, I'm probably most frustrated with the resolution of Jesse's story. Very, very underwhelming.

PEACE

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

alpha wrote: show ended the best way it could.
If by best way, you mean that everything was resolved for Walt's redemption of sorts, then yes.
I liked the finale just fine, Walt's ability to mastermind/outsmart every one in deadly situations is just a cornerstone of his character that I have to begrudingly live with. I don't think the trust fund resolution quite works, nor the car fob activated Jesse "The Body" Ventura in Predator machine gun.
I'm good with it though.

PS - fuck Lydia Rodarte-Quayle and any poster down with her.
Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

LilLeftBrain wrote:yeah i'll agree it def wasn't predictable, those posts are nonsense. was thinking when the grey matter shit went down, well, this isn't what anyone was thinking and it's kinda perfect. beav/skinny pete were obviously the ones out there, but that was great. laser pointers all dodgy and all. it lost me at uncle jack dragging jesse into the equation. it fits fully in line with what this shows always relied on and those stupid action movie moves of logic have always killed it from being one of the goats, imo
He plays on their psychology. Walt knew calling Jesse a partner would hurt Jacks pride so he called him out on it. At least thats how I see it.

Originally I didnt understand why the ricin would be for Lydia but know it makes sense because he knew she would try to have him killed. So it was either her or him.

Really liked the scene with Gray Matter. Still managed to squeeze some humor in one of the darkest episodes. Gave it a nice start to a great end.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Jayou Ayen wrote: don't think the trust fund resolution quite works, nor the car fob activated Jesse "The Body" Ventura in Predator machine gun.
Which reminds me, obviously WW is an accomplished scientist and chemist, but when all of a sudden did he become a weapons expert/robotics engineer/mechanic/whatever other kind of expert that would have the skills necessary to pull off such a trick? Him suddenly being so proficient seems like a tremendous leap of faith to ask the audience to take

PEACE

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

no i get what that was supposed to do, it woulda worked better if just last episode we hadn't seen him tell todd 'why would we still cook? we got __ million dollars'. if he's supposed to be stupid, let him be stupid. he isn't stupid so why on earth would he give a shit what walt thinks asides from plot?
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

night' o
think i'll watch this again tomorrow, may like it more then

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Backlash

There's no ending that would have really surprised us and wrapped up everything nicely without somehow being too convenient. Considering where the show was at, I'll take this, happily. I would have liked a bit darker of an ending, and perhaps a bigger curve ball, but I'm beyond satisfied.

Apathwhy

Post by Apathwhy »

i can understand the criticisms and my suspension of disbelief was also tested in a couple of spots, but this is probably the best way they could have wrapped it up. Most of us were probably expecting 'Ozymandias' level greatness.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

so two people didnt like it in here? show was the best ending it could have had. it was fun, heart-breaking and suspenseful. not much more you could ask for.

if everyone has been predicting how it would end like we have been for so long, surely somebody was going to be right. the only let down is that it is finally over.

and yes, i thought it was going to suit up and cook one last batch but the final shot was beautiful. so many amazing scenes in this. the kitchen scene with skylar was among the best in the entire series.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Apathwhy wrote: Most of us were probably expecting 'Ozymandias' level greatness.
Which is too much to expect. Fuck it, Ozymandias is the best episode of any of these fucking shows, and, not fucking around, the best hour of TV ever broadcast IMO.

All credit for being the first show I can think of that tied up every loose end. It's wasn't the best ep of BB, but it wasn't bad either. This show has spoiled the fuck out of people in this back 8.

Truth be told, I think Wes kinda had a point. If he's in the lab and he knows he dying, seeing him finally take a hit of his own product before the reflection of him falling woulda been kind awesome, and I don't think it would have broken from the character. He was a fucking addict, so finally taking a hit after he knows it's all over would have made sense.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Harry Hater wrote:
LilLeftBrain wrote:yeah i'll agree it def wasn't predictable, those posts are nonsense. was thinking when the grey matter shit went down, well, this isn't what anyone was thinking and it's kinda perfect. beav/skinny pete were obviously the ones out there, but that was great. laser pointers all dodgy and all. it lost me at uncle jack dragging jesse into the equation. it fits fully in line with what this shows always relied on and those stupid action movie moves of logic have always killed it from being one of the goats, imo
He plays on their psychology. Walt knew calling Jesse a partner would hurt Jacks pride so he called him out on it. At least thats how I see it.

I don't think Walt's goal was to get Jesse in the room. The plan would have worked fine, probably even better, without Jesse there. He just yelled out the shit about Jesse being Jack's partner because he was being dragged out of the room to his death and was trying to stall for time so he could get his hands on his keys. He probably had no idea how Jack was going to react to it.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Does anyone know why the fuck he left his watch on the pay phone?

EDIT: http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/breaking ... g-bad.html
Gilligan explained that the reason Walt placed his watch (the one Jesse gave him for his 51st birthday) on top of the payphone after pretending to be the New York Times reporter was only retrofitted symbolism: The reason he had to do it was because they realized that in the flash-forward of him at Denny's that they'd shot for episode 501, Walt wasn't wearing a watch, so they had to explain where it went for continuity reasons. And so, out of necessity, they came up with what Gilligan called the "artsy fartsy" reason: It was a symbol of Walt, seeing the end is near, cutting ties with one of his "arch-nemeses," Jesse.
Last edited by Combo7 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

admiral

Post by admiral »

So glad they paid homage to the God, Marty Robbins. Should have used Big Iron instead of El Paso

Felt underwhelming as a whole, but I was happy with it

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Combo7 wrote:Does anyone know why the fuck he left his watch on the pay phone?

Vince talks about that on Breaking Bad. In a nutshell, they shot that Denny's scene in the first part of season and he wasn't wearing a watch. They got cute.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Enjoyed it and after a night to sleep on it, I feel this was way more interesting a conclusion then I originally thought. It's what that new variation of the theme and Peter Gould hinted at last week. It’s not Walter White; it’s not Heisenberg; it’s something new. What emerged from Granite State was the first functional version of Walt. Still the ego, still the brain, and still all the luck, but he looked, talked and walked different this entire episode. He was unflinchingly precise when he needed to be, and finally exhibited a level sincerity with Skylar and Jesse. Vindictive Walt might have had a melt down being inside the Gray Matter mansion, and Heisenberg might have legit hired the best hitters to off those two, but that didn't happen. If this show had ended with Ozymandias (also agree best episode of anything ever), would people have been content? Maybe the carnage along the way conditioned us to expect the worst, but after revisiting how the show started, I'm not at all surprised we got something brutal but ultimately a bit more uplifting.