Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy (2014)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

SuperFeen

Re: Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy (2014)

Post by SuperFeen »

The movie is pretty cornball, even compared to other Marvel movies, but I really enjoyed it. It's hilarious and there were a couple genuinely emotional moments that played really well for me. I would classify this movie as FUN AS FUCK.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

yo, they really nail the tear-jerker moments in this mofo... someone musta let off some pepper spray up in the theater, the tender bits got a Bender a lil misty eyed and shit :rofl:

it's visually splendiferous like few other movies, and

and they don't have a bunch of stuff in the trailers that isn't in the movie, which is fuckin LAME (i'm looking at YOU, SPIDERMAN 2)

only the first scene and the last fight with the villain are really Hollywood to the :fail: degree like CMON BRAH, we don't believe u

but whatevs, they were trying to have fun, as SuperFeen says, and they basically hit that home run

STILL, THIS CERTAINLY IS -NOT- THE BEST MARVEL MOVIE OF ALL TIME. Hell, it's not the best Marvel movie of 2014

X-Men is still better, and Cap Amurrica 2 is still WAAY better

that Nova Corps shield is dope though
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Yeah what Superfeen said. Fun as fuck. Intensely satisfying.

The Avengers 3, tho.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Great flick. Saw it on IMAX 3D and enjoyed every second. The use of the mixtape as the soundtrack worked great and was a key element in making the movie so fun. Also- perfect, understated use of CGI throughout. They pull off epic visuals but find a way to make it look natural.

ric

Post by ric »

Shit was dope and genuinely funny (meaning humor that's not just about the characters and shit a la iron man/Robert Downey Jr)

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

serious fun. super funny moments. the raccoon wanting that dudes leg and trying to get that dudes eye!! lol. great flick.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

I enjoyed it. I agree w/most folks here 'best marvel movie ever' is reaching but I liked it.

Also really glad it's being deemed a success as an entry point for non-comic book readers. I think that's part of what Marvel Studios was going for and it looks like it will pay off big time if the buzz sustains.

@MB what in the world made you think you'd see the Hulk in this?
Last edited by The Afronaut on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Afronaut wrote:I enjoyed it. I agree w/most folks here 'best marvel movie ever' reaching but I liked it.

Also really glad it's being deemed a success as an entry point for non-comic book readers. I think that's part of what Marvel Studios was going for and it looks like it will pay off big time if the buzz sustains.

@MB what in the world made you think you'd see the Hulk in this?
a comic book geek i know who is hella up on the GotG storyline said he read that there was an Avengers cameo in this :blank:

Iron Man was once a GotG, he's the one who told me that :ohhh:

then he said there was a bunch of rumors he read about the movie that did not turn out to be true :fail:

maybe the Collector's shit getting fucked up will factor into the storyline now.

with the suggestion that Starlord's father is some alien that came to earth to fuck Starlord's moms, at least we have a bit clearer link between Guardians of the Galaxy in outer space, and the rest of the Terrans aka Earthlings on Earth :cheers:

movie was good, but it was a LITTLE too wink-wink/nudge-nudge for me, like it always knew how clever it was being. not all the jokes were homeruns, especially Quill's. The guy who fucking stole the show scriptwise was Drax the Destroyer, cause him NOT being able to do anything but take language literally made him deliver his dialogue directly with power and conviction, not with smarm and faff oozing out the sides of his mouth.

"Metaphors go over his head."
"NOTHING would go over my head. I would catch it. My reflexes are too fast." = :rofl: :copy:

that's REAL comedy. not Hollywood focus group tested comedy by committee.

I first said $80 million opening weekend, but now I guess around $69 million
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:"Metaphors go over his head."
"NOTHING would go over my head. I would catch it. My reflexes are too fast." = :rofl: :copy:

I think I get what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with 'real' vs. "committee based comedy". Basically, some jokes work in the movie, some dont.

The movie seems hella self aware and sometimes helps and other times it feels forced. However, for me none of it felt nearly as forced as some of the "comedy" in Thor 2, so I overall it bothered me less.

I forgot to mention in my other post, the CGI was pretty damn great in this. When Rocket is trying to hold back his laugh about needing "that guy's eye", I was kinda blown away at how "natural/fluid/organic/real/what have you" they got that to look. Impressive.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Pretty enjoyable film, Batista really surprised me with his growth and depth as Drax. Ronan really commanded the screen whenever he was on but I still feel like he was under utilized. Didn't really know what to expect and left pleasantly surprised. Seeing Nebula, Thanos, Ronan and other Marvel cosmic characters on the big screen had the inner geek in me buggin out, I loved that shit!

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: I first said $80 million opening weekend, but now I guess around $69 million
Where did you get this from?

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Try 94 million opening. Good movie, almost the exact same script as the Avengers. Bautista was a TERRIBLE actor and took me out of the movie several times especially when opposite Pratt.

glasshandralphie

Post by glasshandralphie »

I came here to say that I enjoyed the movie. PLEASE don't flame me.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Jayou Ayen wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote: I first said $80 million opening weekend, but now I guess around $69 million
Where did you get this from?

I was guessing. But I underestimated Starlord! :copy:
Marvel enjoyed one of the film industry's most amazing openings in recent years, and silenced any doubters, with a record-breaking top spot debut for the new super hero adventure Guardians of the Galaxy which led the overall box office to the largest August weekend in box office history.

Blasting off with a sensational weekend estimate of $94M, Guardians seized control of the marketplace and beat out all expectations as it gave birth to a brand new movie franchise. Averaging a stellar $23,039 from 4,080 locations, the PG-13 band of misfits had the third biggest opening weekend of 2014 trailing only Transformers: Age of Extinction (about $100M in late June) and Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($95M in early April). It also shattered the August opening weekend record set in 2007 by The Bourne Ultimatum's $69.3M. The location count was also a record for this month.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Just a fun ass movie.

The emotional parts really hit close to home, because I just went through some similar shit a couple weeks ago.

Soundtrack was great. And Bautista's shitty acting didn't really bother me. Pratt is that dude.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

raccoon needed more screen time

bautista did it perfect imo. the role calls for an unnatural performance.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I think Bunz mentioned this already but hopefully this springboards Chris Pratt as an action comedy movie lead.

SYM

Post by SYM »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:I think Bunz mentioned this already but hopefully this springboards Chris Pratt as an action comedy movie lead.
Her
Lego movie
Gotg
Jurassic world

Pretty solid streak going for him right now. My wife has been a fan since everwood. You can't help but wanna root for him.

Edit: also a fan of nathan fillion, since firefly

Double edit: wrong cw show, SORRY
Last edited by SYM on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

SYM wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:I think Bunz mentioned this already but hopefully this springboards Chris Pratt as an action comedy movie lead.
Her
Lego movie
Gotg
Jurassic world

Pretty solid streak going for him right now. My wife has been a fan since firefly. You can't help but wanna root for him.
He wasn't in firefly, was he?

SYM

Post by SYM »

Just fixed.

Anyway.

Would also like to cosign that bautista was fine, the unnatural performance thing paid off.

And I really hope bradley cooper gets more VO work. His rocket was phenonemal.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

This was everything a movie should be. Kind of blows the rest of the Marvel stuff out of the water.

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

Loved it! Hit everywhere. It needed to and should have. The gift at the end was a great way to Segway into the next one!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Afronaut wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:"Metaphors go over his head."

I think I get what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with 'real' vs. "committee based comedy". Basically, some jokes work in the movie, some dont.

The movie seems hella self aware and sometimes helps and other times it feels forced. However, for me none of it felt nearly as forced as some of the "comedy" in Thor 2, so I overall it bothered me less.

I forgot to mention in my other post, the CGI was pretty damn great in this. When Rocket is trying to hold back his laugh about needing "that guy's eye", I was kinda blown away at how "natural/fluid/organic/real/what have you" they got that to look. Impressive.
Yeah, we are expressing similar sentiments. I just say 'committee based comedy' when criticizing something as incongruent and inane as Starlord doing the electric shuffle boogie through an alien cave and squashing monsters to the rhythm of the funk. LIKE COME ON BRO :roll: the second scene of the movie was lame as fuck to me, that kinda Disneyfied cliche comedy bullshit can get left on the cutting room floor. THAT'S 'comedy by committee', as in: "wouldn't it be funny, if, in the dark and gloomy cave, our character was doing the 'keep on truckin'! dance through the perilous danger creeping around him?" "yeah, that would be SO funny! LETS SHOOT IT" :fail:

The tone that weighs heavily across everything in the movie is that ALL the jokes work, ALL the time. And that's just not the case. And I didn't mind "Thor 2" as much because it was a lighter tone than the first one, but had a more evil villain. I actually enjoyed the juxtaposition of elements they chose for that movie, even though the plot had loopholes like swiss cheese all through it. In GotG, there just is a layer of smarm on the screen that is a little too odious for me, Chris Pratt is dope and refreshing as a new Han Solo-y type cat, but his overwrought eagerness to get respect bled out the character and into the movie. If they make an action figure out of Starlord, I expect the most shit-eating smirk to adorn his face. Ehh.

And there is NO way that Rocket Raccoon's CGI team doesn't deserve some fucking Oscar right now. There was not ONE moment that RR didn't seem -REAL-, the animation was beyond completely believable! There wasn't a solitary frame that felt like an Ang Lee/Incredible Hulk hollow man illusion, that seemed like a real talking Raccoon with an animatronic body in many scenes. When we see Rocket's back and he's got all the Matrix holes in it and shit, some genuine empathy was generated like "damn, bruh. I got sad feels for this funny little mongrel."

Rocket Raccoon's comedy was the best in the movie for me. He said his lines like they mattered to HIM, not like they mattered to the 'quotable joke quotient'. The "I Have A Plan" scene is totally Rocket's, and the running joke about needing legs and eyes for escape plans might be the best subtle gag of the flick. Rocket's incredulity was deliciously palpable when Starlord returned with the prosthetic leg :rofl: :rofl: :copy:

it was definitely a funny movie, but not as funny as it thinks it is.

AND if Starlord was abducted before 1984, he wouldn't know what a Ninja Turtle is :lol:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:raccoon needed more screen time

bautista did it perfect imo. the role calls for an unnatural performance.
super double triple homerun co-sign

I'd be so fucking at the first day screening of Rocket Raccoon's ORIGINS MOVIE :ohhh: which should fucking happen

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

I'd be so fucking at the first day screening of Rocket Raccoon's ORIGINS MOVIE
it would undoubtedly be better than either wolverine movie
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:AND if Starlord was abducted before 1984, he wouldn't know what a Ninja Turtle is :lol:

He was abducted in 1988.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

THANOS SCENE WUZ AWSUM THO F'REAL

that grin at the end... Palpateen level :copy:

None

Post by None »

I enjoyed this greatly, but this thread, this thread I don't care for.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Can we ban Mindbender from Marvel related threads?
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Hayzoos wrote:Can we ban Mindbender

PEACE