Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Post by Truth. »

The Winter Soldier title is what really got the Hall H crowd excited, and you might need to know a little bit more about your comics to understand why-- the Winter Soldier is the identity taken on by Captain America's best friend and sidekick Bucky Barnes (played by Sebastian Stan) after he's brought back from supposed death. When we saw Bucky die in Captain America: The First Avenger a lot of people speculated that Winter Soldier might be in Bucky's future, and this title seems a pretty clear confirmation that a reunion with his old pal is in store for Captain America this time around.

ric

Post by ric »

seems a bit wack but makes sense given the milque-toasty shit they did with the last captain america movie

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Doesn't seem wack at all and the first movie was great.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

I didnt love the first movie, but it was straight. I am hoping that with working Winter Solider into it, they'll find ways to make Cap more interesting this time around.

ric

Post by ric »

Combo7 wrote:Doesn't seem wack at all and the first movie was great.
so vanilla and it didnt even look that great. avengers is what you want captain america to look like and what kind of shit you want him involved in.

dont get me wrong; ill see it at some point; but the previous one doesnt deserve that much praise in my opinion and a new direction would be welcomed

Panama

Post by Panama »

Winter Soldier :bow: :rockout:

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

ric wrote:
Combo7 wrote:Doesn't seem wack at all and the first movie was great.
so vanilla and it didnt even look that great. avengers is what you want captain america to look like and what kind of shit you want him involved in.

dont get me wrong; ill see it at some point; but the previous one doesnt deserve that much praise in my opinion and a new direction would be welcomed

Couldn't disagree more. The 40s is the perfect setting for establishing who Cap is and how he operates while he's in his element. It provides a necessary contrast to the modern day where he's a bit lost and unsure of his place in the world. The slightly campy tone was perfect for the goofy, idealistic hyper-patriotism that characterized that time in our history.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

They're trying to hard. Cap's story is not that interesting in the whole of the Marvel universe.

I'd love a Cable movie more than anything else, but that's X-Men and unless they can duplicate would made Wolverine good that franchise is fucked.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

I'm excited for this, Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America is godly, especially the Winter Soldier arc.

alpha

Post by alpha »

first movie was my favorite of the more recent marvel movies(thor,cap, IM 2). the hate on the first one is just stupid. Hugo Weaving as Red Skull was awesome.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

SuperFeen wrote:Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America is godly, especially the Winter Soldier arc.
:cheers:

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Sold on the premise. Interested to see what direction they take it. I liked the first one so I've got hope yet.

ric

Post by ric »

Combo7 wrote:
ric wrote:so vanilla and it didnt even look that great. avengers is what you want captain america to look like and what kind of shit you want him involved in.

Couldn't disagree more. The 40s is the perfect setting for establishing who Cap is and how he operates while he's in his element. It provides a necessary contrast to the modern day where he's a bit lost and unsure of his place in the world. The slightly campy tone was perfect for the goofy, idealistic hyper-patriotism that characterized that time in our history.
character was too flat though. the semi-angsty cap makes for a better character and better chemistry with villains and bros
cash wrote:They're trying to hard. Cap's story is not that interesting in the whole of the Marvel universe.

I'd love a Cable movie more than anything else, but that's X-Men and unless they can duplicate would made Wolverine good that franchise is fucked.
i love cable but it seems unlikely they would be able to pull that off, although i did REALLY like first class and was really surprised by it
first movie was my favorite of the more recent marvel movies(thor,cap, IM 2). the hate on the first one is just stupid. Hugo Weaving as Red Skull was awesome.
thor was my favorite of the solo movies by a wide margin. for iron man the key is to just enjoy the ride and once youre there, its all good. i did like hugo weaving though

xmen first class was highly enjoyable though. and im really glad they kept the focus of the story and didnt make it too much about the minor characters, which would have sprawled into an ungodly mess like i understand the previous ones did

havent seen the new one but spiderman is really just not that great of a character to me. maybe im reading the wrong stuff. Civil War spiderman was awesome though

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

Anthony Mackie Cast as Falcon in Captain America 2

Actor Anthony Mackie will play Cap's partner Falcon in the forthcoming sequel Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

The Hollywood Reporter says the Hurt Locker and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter actor is currently in negotiations with Marvel Studios to play Sam Wilson, aka the Falcon, a social worker-turned-costumed crime fighter in Harlem.

Falcon was the first African-American superhero in mainstream comics. In the original Marvel Comics, Falcon became an Avenger; in the Ultimates universe, he is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/16/ ... -america-2

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Dope.

Truth.

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Post by Truth. »

Frank Grillo has landed the role of the villainous Crossbones in Marvel and Disney's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier."

A key villain in Captain America's rogues gallery, character debuted in 1989 as Brock Rumlow, a leader of the Savage Crims gang in New York's lower East Side before joining a school for criminals and later becoming a henchman of the Red Skull under the code name Crossbones.

Grillo tweeted last week that he had tested for a role in the "Captain America" sequel, and hinted of the character with the hashtag "bones." Thesp most recently appeared in "End of Watch," "The Grey" and "Warrior," and will next have supporting roles in "Gangster Squad" and "Zero Dark Thirty."

Chris Evans returns as the star-spangled hero in "Captain America: Winter Soldier," along with Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes (who becomes assassin the Winter Soldier), Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders and Scarlett Johansson. Anthony Mackie will play Cap ally The Falcon.

Anthony Russo and Joe Russo are helming the actioner from a script by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. Pic is dated for an April 4, 2014 release.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Though production is set to get underway soon, Marvel had one last-minute ace up their sleeve with regards to the sequel Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Last week we learned the pleasantly surprising news that acting legend Robert Redford had entered talks to join the Captain America cast as a senior leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. It marked a major casting coup for directors Joe and Anthony Russo, and the idea of someone like Redford stepping into the Marvel universe is incredibly exciting for fans.

Now Redford has commented a bit on the prospect of him appearing in a comic book movie, saying he made the decision to join Captain America 2 because he likes the idea “of stepping into new territory.” Hit the jump for his full thoughts on the matter.

Speaking at a Q&A as part of the LA Times Indie Focus Screening Series (via LA Times), Redford commented on signing on for The Winter Soldier:
“I’m doing this film because it’s different. It’s a new thing for me… I think these films are really powerful. I think they’re great. This is the kind of film I would have loved to see as a kid… I like the idea of stepping into new territory. I’m excited by it. I also think it’s a good bunch of people who really know what they’re doing.”
Redford has been incredibly picky with regards to choosing acting roles as of late, mostly starring in his own directorial efforts or smaller indie fare. The last “Hollywood” movie he appeared in was the 2001 thriller Spy Game, in which he shared the screen with Brad Pitt. Though the idea of Redford appearing in a Captain America movie is exciting in and of itself, there’s also the prospect of the 76-year-old actor popping up in subsequent Marvel films as well, given the studio’s shared universe approach to their films.

No further details regarding Redford’s character are known at this time, but hopefully we hear more soon. The actor most recently filmed the starring role in Margin Call director J.C. Chandor’s survival film All Is Lost, which is supposedly dialogue-free, and his next directorial effort The Company You Keep opens on April 5th. Captain America: The Winter Soldier opens in 3D on April 4, 2014.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

teaser trailer out thursday

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Cant wait. Quietly this is the Phase 2 Marvel film I'm anticipating most, even though Cap's was probably my least favorite of Phase 1.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Trailer looks considerably better than the first movie. I am now more interested in a Cap movie.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

trailer looks sick as super fuck actually

You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

Trailer looks crazy! Can't wait for this flick.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

looks fucking sick.
supporting cast looks amazing.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

I just hope they do Winter Soldier's origin right,

Thank God for Anthony Mackie... glad to see him getting block buster shine.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Trailer was just as good as I was hoping it would be. :bow:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Tired & Broke wrote:I just hope they do Winter Soldier's origin right,
Just cast this aside. You gotta take the Marvel universe for however the movies try to interpret it. I'm sure it'll be close, but definitely not even 70% near.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Cash Rulz wrote:
Just cast this aside. You gotta take the Marvel universe for however the movies try to interpret it. I'm sure it'll be close, but definitely not even 70% near.
this is a very important thing to understand

just because you are very very attached to certain plot line from the comics, doesn't mean a billion-dollar production is obligated to respect the fidelity of your nerd feelings. some things can't be filmed, some things get re-written for dumb reasons, etc. but ultimately these are adaptations, and expecting them to follow the written og version exactly is borderline unreasonable. that's just not how shit works. if you can't appreciate the movies for what they are there's barely any point to watching them, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

this isn't directed at anybody here in particular, just something that has irked me more and more lately. it's been especially acute today with the inevitable nerd rage surrounding the x-men trailer.

if you didn't get mad at the 90s xmen cartoons mangling the og storylines, there's not much reason to get mad here either.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

drizzle wrote:this is a very important thing to understand

just because you are very very attached to certain plot line from the comics, doesn't mean a billion-dollar production is obligated to respect the fidelity of your nerd feelings.
I feel you but, while I definitely would not expect the Winter Soldier to be exactly what it was in the comic books, throwing everything about him besides the name "Winter Soldier" out the window seems unnecessary. Why not just create a new character for the film?

I think Marvel Studios has done a pretty good job of staying faithful to the source material considering, so I think they'll get it as "right" as they can.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

oh i dont' think they'll totally toss everything out, that's counterproductive for them. they want to adapt the original material, not write their own. from a writing perspective it's much easier to mold an existing character to production/casting/marketing demands than to write an entirely new one
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

drizzle wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
this is a very important thing to understand

just because you are very very attached to certain plot line from the comics, doesn't mean a billion-dollar production is obligated to respect the fidelity of your nerd feelings. some things can't be filmed, some things get re-written for dumb reasons, etc. but ultimately these are adaptations, and expecting them to follow the written og version exactly is borderline unreasonable. that's just not how shit works. if you can't appreciate the movies for what they are there's barely any point to watching them, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

this isn't directed at anybody here in particular, just something that has irked me more and more lately. it's been especially acute today with the inevitable nerd rage surrounding the x-men trailer.

if you didn't get mad at the 90s xmen cartoons mangling the og storylines, there's not much reason to get mad here either.
:leon:

In the first Spiderman movie, I didn't trip when they made the webbing shoot out of his wrists instead of "staying true to the original: web cartridges". Now, I cried when I saw how faithful they were to some other shit, as well as making Randy "Macho Man" Savage the wrestler that 'The Human Spider' has to scrap for Peter Parker's very first time fighting, but word to the movie: webbing out the wrists of a guy who got superhuman powers from a radioactive spiderbite actually makes more sense than what the comics did for decades before the movie came out, LULZ. THAT BEING SAID: FUCK MICHAEL BAY AND THAT GOD-FORSAKEN AWE-FULLY IDIOTIC DESECRATION OF THE TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES I'M SO FUCKING GLAD ITS DEAD DEAD DEEEEAAAADDDD :clay:

It's obviously a very delicate balance, and what do you choose to bring to the screen, from a book or a movie? It's always subjective, but there has to be some room for interpretation. A comic is 24 pages, a movie is 90 minutes. C'mon, son. Something's gotta give.

Honestly... this trailer is like, the perfect movie trailer.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;