Passion (dir De Palma)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Passion (dir De Palma)

Post by drizzle »

D to tha P is obviously years past his prime but this seems like it could work well for him. Twisted sexuality, serial killer/giallo overtones, coherence likely sacrificed in favor of style - this is right up his alley
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Passion (dir De Palma)

Post by Employee »

CYSED UP!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Employee wrote:CYSED UP!

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Spartan wrote:
Employee wrote:CYSED UP!
Nets 2022

cynosure

Post by cynosure »

i like the people involved and will see this, but i don't think it needed to be redone.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Turns out this is actually a remake of the French thriller, Love Crime:

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Ha. I started watching that because I like Kristen Scott Thomas, who is probably the best female actor in the world, but I got kinda bored with it. Might give it another shot. I could see why De Palma would choose to spice the film up. It could be one of those remakes that actually serve a purpose.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Ha. I started watching that because I like Kristen Scott Thomas, who is probably the best female actor in the world, but I got kinda bored with it. Might give it another shot. I could see why De Palma would choose to spice the film up. It could be one of those remakes that actually serve a purpose.
By "spice the film up", I take it you mean he needs to make it a sleazefest and go nuts with the violence? Which is perfectly cool with me.

Comedy Quaddafi

Love Crime is a story about lesbianism and murder, so that's very promising. Hopefully this will be like Dressed to Kill.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Recently learned that it wasn't actually Angie's muff in Dressed To Kill, was a stunt vagina. Heartbroken.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Comedy Quaddafi

This is a cool film, very much like De Palma's thrillers Dressed to Kill and Body Double. Very convoluted, sometimes ridiculous, plot, but style to spare and awesome Argentophilia the whole way through. Unfortunately Rachel McAdams is a tv-actress and brings the movie a bit down along with some of the rest of the cast, but Noomi Rapace is good enough to carry the film. It also has to be said that the score is cracking, as you would expect.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Enjoyed it.

De Palma pays homage to De Palma. If you've seen his past thrillers, you know where everything is heading; including every twist and turn. That's not a bad thing however as it's all very capable and entertaining. It's borked out to the max and succeeds in a logical style update to Argento's eye candy palette from the seventies. Rachel McAdams is great as the industrial psychopath/freaky slut of corporate advertising. A natural progression of her character in Mean Girls. I thought Noomi Rapace carried the film well, but with all honesty, a sexier brunette would have been more appropriate and made the lipstick lesbianism more special. A little disappointed with the low body count and it's not very giallo at all, other than visuals. Still, that wasn't enough to spoil my overall feelings for the film. Definitely worth watching, just don't expect anything new.