MoviePass (Movie Theater Monthly Subscription Service)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Dan

MoviePass (Movie Theater Monthly Subscription Service)

Post by Dan »

MoviePass is back with a plan that looks like all theaters are agreeing with. Depending where you live, for a monthly fee ($19.99-$34.99) you can see a movie a day. The negatives thus far are if you go as a couple, you can't use your card for 2 tickets. Also, you can't see the same movie twice.

It's in beta now, so signups are limited. Apparently the more people you sign up the better chance you get at being accepted. I have not been approved yet, but here's a link to sign up.

http://movi.ps/T052ph

Dap

Re: MoviePass (Movie Theater Monthly Subscription Service)

Post by Dap »

hmm this is very interesting. i'm not exactly sure how many movies i'd see a month with this thing. not being able to rewatch movies kinda kills it a little bit for me. but during the summer season i'd love to have something like this

Dan

Post by Dan »

Here's how it works:

You install an app on your phone (iPhone only for now) and check in with it at the theater you're at and movie/time you're attending. Then just use your MoviePass card like a credit card to get your ticket.
All the the theaters I go to are accepting MoviePass, so I'll jump on this as soon as I get an invite.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

how do you know which theaters are participating?

Dan

Post by Dan »

Ramen wrote:how do you know which theaters are participating?
https://www.moviepass.com/content/contact click on View Theaters at the very top of the page and then enter your zip code.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

This is pretty cool. I'd consider it for $20. $35 is pushing since there usually aren't 4+ movies worth watching a month. I hope they create an android app.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Watching the same movie twice would be easy to do. Just buy a ticket to some shitty movie that you don't want to see then sneak into the film you've already seen.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Dan

Post by Dan »

jamrage wrote:Watching the same movie twice would be easy to do. Just buy a ticket to some shitty movie that you don't want to see then sneak into the film you've already seen.
Pretty sure the app has GPS and tracks your location. If you're in the wrong auditorium you will be executed Running Man style. I could be wrong though. I need to read the fine print.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Dan wrote:
jamrage wrote:Watching the same movie twice would be easy to do. Just buy a ticket to some shitty movie that you don't want to see then sneak into the film you've already seen.
Pretty sure the app has GPS and tracks your location. If you're in the wrong auditorium you will be executed Running Man style. I could be wrong though. I need to read the fine print.
Surely you jest, right?
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Dan

Post by Dan »

jamrage wrote:
Dan wrote:
Surely you jest, right?
Of course.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

$20-25 and I'll cop when it comes to Android
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Anybody else been accepted? I just got the e-mail.

The price for me is $29.99, but you have to sign up for a one year contract. I thought it was month-to-month.

I'm leaning towards not doing it.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Psychosis wrote:Anybody else been accepted? I just got the e-mail.

The price for me is $29.99, but you have to sign up for a one year contract. I thought it was month-to-month.

I'm leaning towards not doing it.
Damn, I didn't know it was yearly. I figured I'd just put money toward it on the months that had several movies I was interested in seeing. This kinda ruins it all for me. I'm not going to drop $350+ for this.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Would have to have a cheaper monthly for me to sign up for a year.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I got approved also. 24.99 a month but with the one year contract. As much as I would like to do this I don't trust they will be around that long or they will have the movie theaters on board that long. Seems kind of dumb to have the year requirement in a beta.

Dan

Post by Dan »

ThaJim2 wrote:I got approved also. 24.99 a month but with the one year contract. As much as I would like to do this I don't trust they will be around that long or they will have the movie theaters on board that long. Seems kind of dumb to have the year requirement in a beta.
Well, since we live in the same area that means it would be $24.99 for me, too. Still steep for me. Thing is, I go to movies that start between 10am-1pm, so I pay matinee prices. For the amount of movies I typically see, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Dan wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:I got approved also. 24.99 a month but with the one year contract. As much as I would like to do this I don't trust they will be around that long or they will have the movie theaters on board that long. Seems kind of dumb to have the year requirement in a beta.
Well, since we live in the same area that means it would be $24.99 for me, too. Still steep for me. Thing is, I go to movies that start between 10am-1pm, so I pay matinee prices. For the amount of movies I typically see, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.
You could just pull the douchy move I do. I'll wait for 2 movies that I want to see to be out, pay for one and then watch both, sneaking into the second. I did it last week with The Master and Looper.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Psychosis wrote:
Dan wrote:
You could just pull the douchy move I do. I'll wait for 2 movies that I want to see to be out, pay for one and then watch both, sneaking into the second. I did it last week with The Master and Looper.
If you want a run down of the douchy moves at theaters I am your man. I went something like 3 years paying for 1 movie. If you go during even a qusi busy time just take an old ticket stub and make it look like you went out to have a smoke they never look at the stub.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I just got accepted. It's $29.99/month for me. I need to go over my list of movies I've watched over the years in theaters and see how many I average in a year, then determine if dropping $360/year is worth it or not.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

35 for me. Not doing it. There really aren't 4 movies a month I'm that interested in seeing to make this worth it. If it was 20 I'd do it cause then after 3 movies its paid for itself, but otherwise, booooooo.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

^They must be playing around with price points for different people. There is no reason at all for me and Dan to be different prices. I was messing around with the zip code using LA, Chicago and NYC and even with those 3 it would still only be 30 for me.

Dan

Post by Dan »

ThaJim2 wrote:^They must be playing around with price points for different people. There is no reason at all for me and Dan to be different prices. I was messing around with the zip code using LA, Chicago and NYC and even with those 3 it would still only be 30 for me.
From what I've read, the price is based on your location. Those who live in NYC and L.A., where movie prices are the highest in the country will have the higher monthly MoviePass subscriptions.

I just counted how many movies I've seen in theaters since 2010. I excluded 3-D movies since MoviePass doesn't cover those, though I do not know if you can use your card and then pay the remaining difference.

In 2010 I saw 11 movies.
In 2011 I saw 16.
So far this year I've seen 12, but I plan on seeing Argo tomorrow morning, so I'll make that 13 thus far.

Ticket prices by me are $8. So in 2011 I roughly spent $130 on movies and this year, with 2 months remaining I've spent barely over $100.

I honestly don't think I would see more movies if I had the card since I really am picky when it comes to what I'm interested in seeing.

When you're accepted by MoviePass you have 48 hours to become a member. Unless ticket prices jump to $20 before then, I will have to decline this offer.

It really is a great deal, it's just not for me.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Dan wrote: I just counted how many movies I've seen in theaters since 2010. I excluded 3-D movies since MoviePass doesn't cover those, though I do not know if you can use your card and then pay the remaining difference.
I counted my total too. For the last 12 months I saw an average of 2.3 movies per month in the theaters, which would be about $25 per month; but that doesn't include the douchy double feature move I pull. So I really spend about $10-$15 per month.

I disagree on whether I'd watch more movies if I had Movie Pass. I'd definitely lower my standards a bit and watch more movies in the theater. But at $30/month with the year commitment, it's still not worth it. Maybe if there was a one month trial (free or paid) to see how much use I'd get out of the service I'd consider it.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

It seems they changed their pricing plans. It's now $49.99 for one month, $119.99 for three months or $359.99 for the full 12 months.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Psychosis wrote:It seems they changed their pricing plans. It's now $49.99 for one month, $119.99 for three months or $359.99 for the full 12 months.
Don't see this company lasting. Their pricing just sucks. There is not enough people in this country that go to 5 movies in a month that they can have a workable business model at 50 per. 360 for a year is not a bad price if they broke it down to 30 a month but no one is going to pay 360 up front for this service.

wheels

Post by wheels »

I feel like I'd end up seeing movies I have no interest in to justify the subscription fee.