Chris Nolan's "Interstellar" - Nov. 7, 2014

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

Chris Nolan's "Interstellar" - Nov. 7, 2014

Post by Truth. »

The 'Dark Knight Rises' director is negotiating to board the sci-fi project written by his brother and longtime collaborator Jonathan Nolan

With his Batman trilogy now complete, Christopher Nolan has found his next project.
According to multiple sources, Nolan has set his sights on a sci-fi project titled Interstellar, which he is in talks to direct and produce. The project involves time travel and alternate dimensions in a story that sees a group of explorers travel through a wormhole. The script is based on scientific theories developed by a Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist, a gravitational physicist and astrophysicist at Caltech.

Sources say that dealmaking has been underway for months and is described as very complex.

Interstellar is set up at Paramount but would be made by both Paramount and Warner Bros., where Nolan and his Syncopy banner are based and for which he has made the three Batman movies as well as Insomnia and Inception. (The Prestige was made for Disney.)
The script for Interstellar was written by Jonathan Nolan, Chris' brother, who worked on The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight, as well as Prestige. Jonathan Nolan (known as Jonah) also has a "story by" credit for Memento, Chris Nolan’s breakout movie.

Steven Spielberg was previously attached to direct Interstellar and produce with Lynda Obst. It is unclear if Spielberg will remain involved, especially considering the director's planned next movie, Robopocalypse, was delayed indefinitely on Wednesday.

Regardless of how a deal shakes out, Interstellar has all the elements that seem to attract Nolan. Apart from his brother’s involvement, there is the complex and multi-layered nature of the story.
Last edited by Truth. on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamrage

Re: Chris Nolan's potential next film: Interstellar

Post by jamrage »

Inception II
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Overrated.

starting the backlash early

citizen

Post by citizen »

he needs to do some kind of gritty low budget genre flick

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Steven Spielberg was previously attached to direct and produce Interstellar. It is unclear if Spielberg will remain involved, especially considering the director's planned next movie, Robopocalypse, was delayed indefinitely on Wednesday.
something really amusing about hearing these two movies in the same paragraph along with spielberg. almost like its better than satire.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

two major studios teaming up for this one, budget is probably wild
Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’ To Be Paramount-Warner Bros Co-Production And Joint Distribution

The much anticipated sci-fi film will be released in theaters and IMAX beginning November 7, 2014. Paramount will distribute domestically while Warner Bros Pictures will release internationally. This rare move by two major studios demonstrates how hot a project Christopher Nolan‘s Interstellar is in the movie marketplace. Today’s announcement was surprising as Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros Pictures don’t do business together on major films. But Interstellar will be co-produced and distributed by the two studios, with Paramount Pictures handling domestic distribution and Warner Bros Pictures distributing the film internationally. Just as interesting, this is a Nolan film that Warner Bros’ financial partner Legendary Pictures will not be associated with after helping bankroll his Batman trilogy as well as his Inception. Directed and written by Academy Award-nominee Nolan, pic is based on a script by Jonathan Nolan. The film will be produced by Nolan and Emma Thomas of Syncopy Films and Lynda Obst of Lynda Obst Productions. Kip Thorne will executive produce. The film will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding:

Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures said, “As a filmmaker and storyteller, Chris has continuously entertained the world with his extraordinary and unparalleled talents. I am pleased beyond measure to welcome him to the Paramount Pictures family. Partnering with Chris, Emma, Lynda and Warner Bros. to release this original idea next November is the perfect way to start the Thanksgiving and holiday movie season for audiences around the world.”

Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group, said, “Christopher Nolan is truly one of the great auteurs working in film today, and we’re extremely proud of our successful and ongoing collaboration with him and Emma Thomas. We are excited to be teaming with Paramount, and look forward to working with the Nolans, and producer Lynda Obst, on this extraordinary new project.”

alpha

Re: Chris Nolan's "Interstellar" - Nov. 7, 2014

Post by alpha »

so did the top ever stop spinning??
:lol:

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

looks like Matthew McConaughey is gonna play the lead in this

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

The more of his movies I see the more I think he just got lucky with the second Batman.

The prestige was ok tho.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Director Christopher Nolan is encountering a couple of firsts with his next film Interstellar. Not only does it mark the filmmaker’s first venture into space-set sci-fi, but this will also be Nolan’s first film without cinematographer Wally Pfister since his debut feature Following. His close collaborator is busy with his own directorial debut, Transcendence, and will no longer be working a director of photography. As such, many were curious as to whom Nolan would enlist to shoot Interstellar given his meticulousness when it comes to pristine visuals. Well, now wordcomes that the filmmaker has tapped Hoyte Van Hoytema to act as the cinematographer on Interstellar. Hit the jump for more.

News of Van Hoytema’s involvement comes courtesy of the Dutch website Film Abides (via Nolan Fans). The cinematographer’s previous credits include Let the Right One In, The Fighter, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and he most recently shot Spike Jonze’s upcoming film Her. Van Hoytema’s muted aesthetic would appear to fit right in with Nolan’s sensibilities, and it’ll be interesting to see how he handles working with IMAX since the director plans to shoot “a significant portion” of Interstellar with the large-format cameras.

Little is known about the story of Interstellar other than the fact that it’s about “a heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding.” Matthew McConaughey is set as the film’s male lead, while Anne Hathaway recently signed on to reunite with the Dark Knight Rises filmmaker as Interstellar’s female lead. Expect to hear more casting soon as we move closer towards the film’s summer production start-date. Interstellar will open on November 7, 2014.

ian e

Post by ian e »

drobizhek wrote:The more of his movies I see the more I think he just got lucky with the second Batman.
co-sign. plus i know its contoversial opinion, but i think, tdk was just as bloated and confusing as his other movies are. they're all shot and cut to look very dramatic and dark and therin they succeed. but story-wise they're all over the place making zero sense, while simultaneously taking themselves way too seriously.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

citizen wrote:he needs to do some kind of gritty low budget genre flick
Umm..... what?
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

teaser attached to The Hobbit

alpha

Post by alpha »

ian e wrote:
drobizhek wrote:The more of his movies I see the more I think he just got lucky with the second Batman.
co-sign. plus i know its contoversial opinion, but i think, tdk was just as bloated and confusing as his other movies are. they're all shot and cut to look very dramatic and dark and therin they succeed. but story-wise they're all over the place making zero sense, while simultaneously taking themselves way too seriously.
ummm yeah oooook guys. thanks for sharing. :shittylikesometp:

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

ric

Post by ric »

refuse to see the trailer but this shit is gonna be sweet

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That teaser trailer doesn't exactly do a fine job in selling the movie.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Full trailer will be infront of Godzilla

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Contact 2?

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

eeeh idk

if the trailer is just the first act and there is a lot more space shit then it could be awesome. if its a lot of McCon and his family being all emotional and then he leaves for space and that's it.... lame
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

gotta give nolan the benefit of the doubt in general, but the trailer didn't particularly hook me

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Doubt he wanted to spoil the space stuff in the trailer

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

drizzle wrote:eeeh idk

if the trailer is just the first act and there is a lot more space shit then it could be awesome. if its a lot of McCon and his family being all emotional and then he leaves for space and that's it.... lame
from dude on another board who claims he read the 2008 Jonathan Nolan script:

The second part of the movie isn't show, Nolan is hiding the part and that is good hide the surprises. Also Nolan added some scenes on the first and second act that make sense and improve those parts, the third act doesn't need improving it's epic on his one
Obviously could be total bullshit, but if it's the case it makes sense why the trailer is edited as such.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

I'll wait until somebody else sees this.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

The prestige was ok tho.
The Nolan universe Batman trilogy was overrated.

If Heath Ledger was still alive, you would be more right than you could ever know.

Bane was the best character in the whole series, and his voice was better than Batman's, in every breath.

~~~

this looks like some mutant version of 'Contact' (which also featured McCon Con) sopping off some of the grandeur of 'Gravity' :meh:

meh
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I think Prestige is actually my favorite of all he did, and I'm starting to feel like Begins is my favorite of his Batmans. All 3 are flawed but Begins aged best of them imo, it manages to get a really good balance of the serious and the comic book-ish. It's just missing a good villain to really bring it all together, everything with League Of Shadows feels like an afterthought tacked on to the origin story because they need to have some conflict for the third act. DK Rises on the other hand is not aging as well, it's becoming more and more apparent with time how much its boosted by the acting and how cumbersome the rest of it is. The first 40 mins or so of it is nearly superfluous, and then there's that thing where you think its done but there's still another 30 mins to go.

Lol at anybody who brings up Inception, I dare you to sit through a rewatch of that without groaning when you realize that car is still gonna fall in slomo for another hour. It's an epitome of a movie that's fun the first time but turns out to have no replay value.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Dark Knight Rises wasn't good to begin with.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Prestige is really good. I catch new things everytime I watch it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Wait that was a typo above, I actually meant The Dark Knight, not Rises. Rises is def the worst of the 3, has a lot of the same flaws but they were more exposed without Ledger being there to steal attention.