Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen Bros)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen Bros)

Post by Truth. »

The first trailer for the Coen Brothers’ Inside Llewyn Davis is now available. The story centers on the titular folk singer/songwriter, played by Oscar Isaac, who struggles to find his way in New York’s Greenwich Village in the 1960s. The trailer shows us that, although he’s not overtly a ne’er-do-well, everyone around him sure does seem to despise him quite a bit. Llewyn’s lover Jean Berkey (Carey Mulligan) is particularly vicious while John Goodman’s character appears to be more of a curmudgeonly businessman/agent type, with some apparent health problems.

Also starring Justin Timberlake, Garret Hedlund, Adam Driver and F. Murray Abraham, Inside Llewyn Davis opens later this year.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen Bros)

Post by drizzle »

idk why but this is eliciting a weird feeling

i'm all about it but at the same time i'm felt a vague unease while watching it
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

apparently based on this guy? the wiki about him doesn't really match to the character portrayed in the trailer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Van_Ronk

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled about this trailer. Seems like we're back to "A Serious Man" territory, doesn't look very quirky at all. I guess if they want to do a straightforward drama they're more than entitled, but I think they're at their best when they take more chances.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

good lookin cat
moved by duck muscles

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I really hate the name of this movie. And thats not only because I have no idea how to pronounce "Llewyn"

citizen

Post by citizen »

looks more like a charlie kaufman movie than something from the coen brothers

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

i may have officially watched too many movies...i found myself being bothered about how everything in that trailer was lit.

i hate when they put super white light on white people. makes everybody look two days dead

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

:pause: on the title

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

watched the red band, red band seemed about the same as above. did serve to get me a bit more excited
moved by duck muscles

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

here's the red band, not really much more in there except mulligan cursing

http://www.indiewire.com/article/watch- ... nnes-debut

however, much like with a few coen bros movies, the more I watch it the more I like it

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ah
moved by duck muscles

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

jamrage wrote:Yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled about this trailer. Seems like we're back to "A Serious Man" territory, doesn't look very quirky at all. I guess if they want to do a straightforward drama they're more than entitled, but I think they're at their best when they take more chances.
A Serious Man is easily one Cohen Bros best movies. def top 5

Post by 907 »

The soundtrack is streaming on the NPR website, it's good if you like that kind of shit. I do.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

ackbar wrote:A Serious Man is easily one Cohen Bros best movies. def top 5
nah

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

AWAE wrote:
ackbar wrote:A Serious Man is easily one Cohen Bros best movies. def top 5
nah
lebowski, fargo, a serious man, raising arizona, no country for old men
i wouldn't put any others above those personally.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I dunno...I'd put Blood simple and Barton fInk over "A Serious man" pretty easily. Underrated movie for sure though.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Saw this over the weekend after seeing Nebraska. Liked both movies but for entirely different reasons. Nebraska for its overall plot, Will Forte's sleeper performance, and all the acting really.

I feel like I have to see Llewyn Davis again to understand why I like it. Acts as more of a profile then a story.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

Second best comedy of 2013, imo. Quintessential Coen bros.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Thought it was a let down for sure. I liked it i guess. I did enjoy it but it wasn't any near Coen Bros level it should be. It had no charm. Not much going for it. It was made well but that's about it. Sadly it looks like they may be losing their touch (again).

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

God Damn this movie was incredible. Kicking myself for not catching it in the theater. Oscar Isaac immediately becomes my retroactive Oscar pick. Oscar will win an Oscar one day no doubt. Never seen a movie that captures the essence of a starving artist so well. Whole road trip part of the movie was just perfect writing, acting, and cinematography. Scene with dude punching him at end/beginning was so fucking awesome.

Right now this slides into my 2 spot of best of '13 films behind Only God Forgives and ahead of Upstream Color. That could change though, watching 12 Years A Slave tomorrow.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I know this is shitty to say, but if "Only God Forgives" is your best film of 2013 it's difficult to take you seriously.

I finally saw this, and it is pretty damn good. Definitely the same kind of loveable loser story the Cohens enjoy telling. Some great performances though. Oscar Isaac was remarkable as the folk singer. He had a memorable singing voice, and really pulled off the asshole well. Goodman was great as always, and Timberlake was kind of a power everytime he was on screen. Mulligan was kind of a one trick pony, but I'm not huge fan of hers anyway.

One of my favorite parts was that every time he'd play for someone you'd think that they were having some kind of positive emotional experience from his music, but then he'd finish playing and they'd have ended up hating what he was doing. The club owner and his father spring to mind.

I can't help it, I just generally like these more subtle Cohen movies (Inside Llewyn Davis, Serious Man) far less than when they're really pushing things. That's not to say that these smaller movies have no value, they just seem to pale in comparison to the "No Country For Old Men"s and "Big Lebowski"s. "Inside Llewyn Davis" is the kind of movie that could get better with repeat viewings so it might be something that grows on me over time.

6.5 outta 10.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Jamrage nailed it. Although I will say I enjoy these small films immensely. I thought he sang his dad into a sweet submission where their entire relationship was rectified through the power of his art and music but no, his dad just shit himself. Hilarious.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

jamrage wrote:I know this is shitty to say, but if "Only God Forgives" is your best film of 2013 it's difficult to take you seriously.
Right. Making that statement makes it difficult for me to take you seriously. Not because you didn't like the movie, but for you to judge my opinions so harshly about a movie that the :phila: generally loved (it won "Best Movie 2013: Foreign/Documentary/WTF/Indie" in our year end poll) is just being divisive. Lots of people loved Spring Breakers (I didn't), but I'm not going to take their opinion less seriously because of it.

As far as Coen films is Llewyn Davis top tier right now? No, I'd put Lebowski, Fargo, and No Country on my top tier. But Llewyn Davis is right on the 2nd tier with Barton Fink, O Brother, & Blood Simple and I could see it joining the top tier eventually. I don't think it's as subtle as some are making it seem. It captures a time and place I haven't seen in cinema before and the musical performances give it an incredible air of authenticity. As far as singular performances go, it's been a long time since I've seen one as good as Isaac's.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

didn't like this movie very much, but it's interesting how both oscar isaac and adam driver were cast in the new star wars

binary

Post by binary »

meh