Least Funny SNL Cast Member

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Least Funny SNL Cast Member

Jim Breuer
16%
Will Forte
10%
Chris Kattan
54%
David Spade
13%
Tim Meadows
6%

Total votes: 67

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Least Funny SNL Cast Member

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:
Employee wrote:Did Forte do Macgruber?

That is one of my all-time favorites.
Bro, get familiar with the gawd
:bow:

I can't believe there isn't a sequel.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Cash Rulz wrote:
drizzle wrote:idk the Breur hate either, did you dorks not smoke weed in college/around late 90s early 00s or something?
He was good in Half Baked? That was it. His standup was on the same level as Skyline.
i liked Hardcore

he was great in supporting spots i think - the frat jock brother of the goth kids, cameos on early incarnations of O&E, etc
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Blockhead wrote:
Philaflava wrote:People hate on Whig? She has got to be in the top 10 funniest SNL females of all-time list.
Seriously. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone talk negatively about her. To me, she was kinda like the will ferrel of women as in she was pretty much never wack (no matter how bad the skit) and she always went balls out with every character.

Edit: WOW alaska. "the worst"? Jesus christ, dude...get it together. You truly are the siskel to my ebert.
every character was the target lady in a different costume.

oh you mean the match game lady? or maybe the woman that tries to sing at the cocktail parties, or the annoying woman on the news.

though, she was absolutely amazing in the Red Flag perfume adds and as the gimpy handed sister on those lawrence welk skits. I actually like her quite a bit in everything other than SNL.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ALASKA wrote:I actually like her quite a bit in everything other than SNL.
This is true for me too (nh). "SNL" needs to be put out of its misery.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

ALASKA wrote:
Philaflava wrote:People hate on Whig? She has got to be in the top 10 funniest SNL females of all-time list.
she was the worst. so many bad characters...and they all were the same. the only time i found her enjoyable was when she was playing it down. she rarely did that.
:cheers: To me, there's a difference in comitting to a character and over acting. Wiig was guilty of the latter. And funny enough, I was thinking about making the Ferrell comparison myself, in that Ferrell kinda fell into a pattern of just SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS. Of course, Ferrell had a lot of other stuff that balanced out the screamy stuff.

Fallon was awful on SNL. But I think he's found his niche on Late Night. Plus he's surrounded by a really strong staff.

What do we think about Bobby Moynihan? To me, he makes the idea of both Sudeikis and Hader leaving this year a lot easier to deal with. I think he's gonna become the star of the show in the next year or so.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

ALASKA wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
Seriously. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone talk negatively about her. To me, she was kinda like the will ferrel of women as in she was pretty much never wack (no matter how bad the skit) and she always went balls out with every character.

Edit: WOW alaska. "the worst"? Jesus christ, dude...get it together. You truly are the siskel to my ebert.
every character was the target lady in a different costume.

oh you mean the match game lady? or maybe the woman that tries to sing at the cocktail parties, or the annoying woman on the news.

though, she was absolutely amazing in the Red Flag perfume adds and as the gimpy handed sister on those lawrence welk skits. I actually like her quite a bit in everything other than SNL.
I agree that the target lady wasn't shit (literally the only wack thing she did that i can think of) but to say all her characters were a variation of that is crazy. I wish youtube allowed ANL skits cause i would have gladly posted like 25 amazing skits she's been in.
AND you stand up for Fallon! Goddamnit! :owens:
Last edited by Blockhead on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Funny you make this thread now...I just started reading Live From New York yesterday.
:rockout:

Had this book by my toilet for multiple years. Probably read it through five times total. Even displaced the Cecil Adams "The Straight Dope" books as A1 toilet reading for a little while.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Not to nitpick, but given the circumstances, shouldn't Alaska be Ebert?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Funny you make this thread now...I just started reading Live From New York yesterday.
:rockout:

Had this book by my toilet for multiple years. Probably read it through five times total. Even displaced the Cecil Adams "The Straight Dope" books as A1 toilet reading for a little while.
Thoroughly enjoying it. I'm already a good 100+ pages deep.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Sylissez wrote:
ALASKA wrote:
she was the worst. so many bad characters...and they all were the same. the only time i found her enjoyable was when she was playing it down. she rarely did that.
:cheers: To me, there's a difference in comitting to a character and over acting. Wiig was guilty of the latter. And funny enough, I was thinking about making the Ferrell comparison myself, in that Ferrell kinda fell into a pattern of just SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS. Of course, Ferrell had a lot of other stuff that balanced out the screamy stuff.

Fallon was awful on SNL. But I think he's found his niche on Late Night. Plus he's surrounded by a really strong staff.

What do we think about Bobby Moynihan? To me, he makes the idea of both Sudeikis and Hader leaving this year a lot easier to deal with. I think he's gonna become the star of the show in the next year or so.
Dude. Ferrell is arguably the best SNL'er of all time. Wiig aint even in the same building. She isnt even top 5 women. She relied on muggin than she did on doing anything funny. I am not gonna front and say she is the worst, but to me it seemed like she rode the wave of her work outside of snl and the fact that she was on for a long ass time. As far as my tastes she was never one of the 3 funniest cast members during any season she was on the show, and was never the funniest woman when she was on the show. so her revered place in snl history didnt make sense.

I love Bobby Moynihan. I think Tarem Killum is amazing too. The cast is pretty solid right now even if hader and sudakis leave.

Sylissez - this is me now (dropped 75 lbs - ebert doesnt work bro. we can be the ben to his ben - i think that is the new guys names):

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

SO SENSUAL.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Didn't Ebert lose a shit ton of weight too though? That's what I was referring to.

And yes, Killam is fantastic. He's probably more likely to be the breakout star than Moynihan.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Employee wrote:SO SENSUAL.
my calf game is so tight bro

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

And I agree about Ferrell being top 5 SNLer of all time. Just saying he did have a tendency to fall back on loud screamy guy (even though it was hilarious 90% of the time). If I had to list top 5 SNLers of all time, it'd probably look something like:

1. Bill Murray
2. Phil Hartman
3. Will Ferrell
4. John Belushi
5. Eddie Murphy
That list is probably subjective as fuck and changes frequently.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Sylissez wrote:Didn't Ebert lose a shit ton of weight too though? That's what I was referring to.

And yes, Killam is fantastic. He's probably more likely to be the breakout star than Moynihan.
oh i dont know. i lost track of him. I cant look at his jaw, it fucks with my head.

I agree. Killim has big potential. Moynihan has come a long way since he joined the cast, dude kills it.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Ebert got face cancer on lost his jowls for sure. That must have been a couple pounds.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Tim and Dids make me feel lazy as fuck for not losing unwanted weight.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Alaska hates both whig and Fred Armison. I feel like my girl just had a miscarriage. Will things ever be the same?

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Hating Armisen on SNL (especially the last couple years) is perfectly understandable. Hating Armisen on Portlandia is unforgivable.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

ALASKA wrote: I agree. Killim has big potential. Moynihan has come a long way since he joined the cast, dude kills it.
Yeah, Moynihan really doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Fred Armison on Portlandia is good, on SNL, not so much. Whig just stayed too long and was overused.

As far as current cast members go, Hader is obviously fucking god, Moynihan and Keenan are always solid and underrated role players, Sudeikas is good but feels like he time warped out a 90s cast, Killiam, Cecily Strong and Aidy Bryant are all promising, Meyers is good, Armisen just doesn't fit this iteration of the show, Pedrad started strong but hasn't done shit for a few years now, Bayer is really hit or miss, Tim Robinson has been decent in his limited opportunities but is mostly MIA, McKinnon is good but the obsession with her perplexes me, and Jay Pharoah is just fucking awful.

I basically think it's a surprisingly strong but undistinguished cast which doesn't really seem to have any breakout stars (at least at this point), and there's obvious upsides and downsides to that.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:forte is arguably the funniest working actor.

The answer is Kattan. Probably the most unfunny human ever on the show, and that includes guest hosts and musicians. GE Smith > Kattan.
yup

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Those of you hating on Kattan need to revisit the Goth Talk recurring sketches. He played the Goth pansy to absolute perfection. Easily among the most underrated characters that the show had in the 90s because it wasn't a merchandising machine.

Kattan also was the best at physical comedy during his run. Mr. Peepers and such aside, he also knew how to sell and react to the physical comedy around him rather than just the "guy goes boom" mentality of his contemporaries. Look at the luggage destroying sketch, for instance.

90% of Spade's stuff has aged terribly, namely because he's been doing his SNL Spade-schtick for faaaar longer than pretty much everyone else, but the 10% that is actually funny redeems him. In that, and only that, respect, he's a lot like Freud.

Tim Meadows could play a straight-man, absurdly deluded idiot and everything in-between incredibly well. "Perspectives" is perhaps my favorite thing anybody in the running here has done. Plus, I think the people voting for him are just jealous they weren't in Hawaii in 1988 to get that shirt, and are super bitter that it wasn't for sale.

I voted Breuer. He's a talented guy and his early few appearances/characters/incarnations were pretty funny, but after the Goat Boy-Mania he just became the hammiest thing since ham came to Hamtown and over-overdid absolutely anything.

While we're on the subject of defending maligned SNL-things, anybody who tells you the Steve Forbes episode is the worst just enjoys the fact that they can say "STEVE FORBES HOSTED SNL? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? LOL!" Truth be told, Forbes let the cast get staggeringly ruthless in their mockery of him to a degree that few other celebrities really have.

The Milton Berle is easily the worst. It's the one and only episode Loren Michaels never once let air in syndication. Berle throws on air tantrums, looks directly in the camera showing he has no idea how the skits are meant to operate, and improvs just the most bizarre racist jokes for no reason. It's in the SNL season (I believe) 4 set and is available for streaming on Netflix, if you're a masochist.

EDIT: If we're talking worst multi-season cast-member of all time, Victoria Jackson has to be in the running. Other than a weird voice and a vagina, she brought absolutely nothing to the show.

Also, there is also the case of pretty funny people whose style doesn't work within SNL's context. I've always enjoyed Chris Elliot EXCEPT for his year at "SNL." His sensibilities and style just don't work within SNL's format, and made what would anywhere else been funny Chris Elliot sketches incredibly uncomfortable.
Last edited by battlecatmeowstab212 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

To be fair, Berle got a huge meat.

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

^
that skit where chris elliot plays a dad who gets the babysitter drunk and fucks her... i'm waiting for the punchline and its just him in prison saying "i'd do it again!!!"

:naswtf:

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

unbelievable dickhead wrote:^
that skit where chris elliot plays a dad who gets the babysitter drunk and fucks her... i'm waiting for the punchline and its just him in prison saying "i'd do it again!!!"

:naswtf:
Yeah, that and the infamous "Masturbating Zombies" sketches are the only skits I can recall that the audience didn't clap for when they ended.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Alask wearing shorts.

Moynihan is actually a funnier more talented version of Artie Lange. You know who really sucked on SNL? The Horatio Sanz dude who was basically a Latin Farley minus the funnies.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Sylissez wrote:To be fair, Berle got a huge meat.
:lol:
Philaflava wrote:You know who really sucked on SNL? The Horatio Sanz dude who was basically a Latin Farley minus the funnies.
YES. He shouldve been included in this poll.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Philaflava wrote:Alask wearing shorts.

Moynihan is actually a funnier more talented version of Artie Lange. You know who really sucked on SNL? The Horatio Sanz dude who was basically a Latin Farley minus the funnies.
ahhahaha. It was a weather appropriate situation and outside of US borders so all bets were off.

Moynihan's weekend up date characters are killer.

Also I would like to add an armison caveat. his Gov. David Patterson was one of the best things SNL ever did.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

drizzle wrote:damn i completely forgot about the existence of undercover brother, i loved that movie back in the day
"smart brother" is uncle ruckus.
i saw this dude at an eric andre show with a white woman on his arm.
csb.

it's a tie between kattan and breur. i picked the less heterosexual of the two.
the will forte hate is unconscionable

Versive

Post by Versive »

Who's keeping score? Show's been unwatchable for damn near a decade.