Dan's Daily DVR Directory

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Re: Dan's Daily DVR Directory

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I hate this trend of doing shows based off classic films but Mads Mikkelsen playing Lector could be fucking awesome.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday Night SmackDown (SyFy) - 8 EDT

It’s WWE’s last chance to convince you to order WrestleMania, which is live this Sunday.

Vice (HBO) - 11 EDT

A new show premiering tonight. This is the series that filmed Dennis Rodman’s visit to North Korea last month. That story won’t be on tonight’s episode; that will come later in the season.
VICE, a news magazine series featuring startling, groundbreaking stories from around the world, debuts tonight, exclusively on HBO. VICE smashes barriers of decorum to cover such stories as out-of-control political assassinations in the Philippines, the sumo/Mixed Martial Arts craze that has swept Senegal and the precarious nuclear stare-down in Kashmir. VICE's fearless approach is like nothing else on television and will show some of the scariest, weirdest and most absurd customs and practices known to humanity.

The Jeffersons (TV One) - 8 EDT

A 12 episode marathon about the occupants of that deluxe apartment in the sky.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Monday, April 8, 2013

2013 NCAA Basketball Championship Game (CBS) - 9:23 EDT

68 teams entered, now it’s down to the last 2. Louisville Cardinals vs. Michigan Wolverines.

Monday Night Raw (USA) - 8 EDT

The first Raw after WrestleMania. A time for new storylines and rematches from last night.

The Art of Getting By (HBO Zone) - 9:30 EDT

I’ve never seen this but noticed that Freddie Highmore (Norman Bates of Bates Motel) is in it. I don’t know if he uses his natural British accent or his fake American one.
A high-school senior (Freddie Highmore) has a fatalistic outlook on life but slowly starts to change his views after meeting a free-spirited classmate (Emma Roberts).

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Do yourself a favor and don't watch that Emma Roberts movie. Fuckin terrible.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (USA) - 10 EDT

WWE recognizes some of the greatests talents that ever stepped into the squared circle. Inductees include Mick Foley, Bob Backlund, Bruno Sammartino, Booker T, Trish Stratus, and Donald Trump.

2013 NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship (ESPN) - 8:30 EDT

It’s the women’s turn to play. UConn vs. Louisville. Isn’t it suspicious that both Louisville’s men’s and women’s teams made it to their respective championship games? I think the men are pulling double duty. Someone check their tops for stuffed tissues.

Osama Bin Laden (Military) - 8 EDT

Three documentaries about America’s most hated villain. Killing Bin Laden, Secrets of Bin Laden’s Lair, and Osama Bin Laden: The Finish.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Dan wrote:WWE recognizes some of the greatests talents that ever stepped into the squared circle. Inductees include Mick Foley, Bob Backlund, Bruno Sammartino, Booker T, Trish Stratus, and Donald Trump.
don't have the slightest idea who's in the wwf hall of fame or the reasoning for ones induction, regardless that's a strange strange list
moved by duck muscles

Dan

Post by Dan »

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hannibal (NBC) - 10 EDT

Did you miss the premiere episode last Thursday? Apparently there’s a buzz on this show and NBC has decided to replay it tonight. I was going to catch it on demand this past Sunday but it had already been removed. My DVR is set for tonight.

Toy Hunter (Travel Channel) - 10 EDT

I’ve never heard of this show but the 2nd season premieres tonight with back-to-back episodes.
Jordan Hembrough, a renowned toy dealer and ultimate toy hunter, takes toy picking to a new level as he takes on collections from some of the most popular cities on the East and West Coasts. His reputation for having the most sought-after, rarest finds has labeled him the "in-demand dealer" that everyone wants to have evaluate their stash.
In this season of the Travel Channel's Toy Hunter, Jordan finds the picks of a lifetime for struggling business owners, annual toy events and even a few celebrity collectors. He's out of his comfort zone, so he has to set his search into high gear. The stakes are higher, the haggles are tougher and the payoffs are much greater than before, because he's hunting for more than just himself -- this time, people's livelihoods are on the line if he doesn't deliver! It's a high stakes toy game with demanding players that could potentially set him up for life!

Sleuth (Turner Classic Movies) - 8 EDT

This is the original from 1972 and such a great movie. The DVD has been long out of print and has never been released on Blu-ray.
An aging British mystery writer (Laurence Olivier) invites his wife’s lover (Michael Caine) to his booby-trapped mansion for a game of wits.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

think i might cave and watch Hannibal.
and yeah, Sleuth is the shit.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Community (NBC) - 8 EDT

It’s the puppet episode.

Archer / Legit (FX) - 10 EDT
Image Image

Both shows have their season finales tonight. Don’t worry, they’ve been renewed and will be back next year. Archer for its fifth season and Legit for its second.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Friday, April 12, 2013

Superman I, II & III (HBO Family) - 7 EDT

The first 3 Superman movies with Christopher Reeve as the man of steel.

Rambo II & III (ActionMAX) - 10 EDT

Need a more violent marathon? There’s these 2 tonight.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Monday, April 15, 2013

Top of the Lake (Sundance Channel) - 9 EDT

Two hour finale tonight (actually it’s just the final 2 episodes played back-to-back).
This has really been a great series. For me, it’ll go down as one of the best new shows of 2013.

Defiance (SyFy) - 9 EDT

New show debuting tonight with a 2-hour episode.
In the year 2046, it’s a new Earth – with new rules. Over thirty years after various alien races arrived on Earth, the landscape is completely altered, terraformed nearly beyond recognition. To the town of Defiance, on what used to be St. Louis, comes the mysterious Nolan (Grant Bowler) and his charge, Irisa (Stephanie Leonidas). As they settle into town – overseen by the mayor, Amanda Rosewater (Julie Benz) and filled with residents like the powerful Rafe McCawley (Graham Greene), enterprising lounge owner Kenya (Mia Kirshner) and the ambitious, alien Tarrs (Tony Curran and Jaime Murray) - events begin to unfold that threaten the fragile peace this border town has fought for.
As the events of Defiance unfold weekly on your TV screen, you can see how the residents’ struggles impact the game of Defiance, a high-octane, multi-platform experience from Trion Worlds! For the first time in history, a TV show and a game will exist concurrently in a shared universe, influencing and impacting the other!

Bates Motel (A&E) - 6 EDT

I’ve mentioned this show a few times in this thread and I have to say it has really grown on me. It really is much better than I ever expected it to be. I’m really glad I decided to watch it. If you’re still sleeping on this show you should give it a chance. It’s already been renewed for a second season, so that’s a good sign.
A&E is playing every episode beginning with the pilot at 6pm EDT leading to the newest episode at 10. Set those DVR’s if you haven’t watched yet.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Who Gets the Last Laugh? (TBS) - 10 EDT

New show about pranks. Sounds awful. I’ll pass.
This spring, TBS is going to put a different twist on hidden-camera comedy with the brand new series Who Gets the Last Laugh? Hosted by Donald Faison (Scrubs), the series will pit some of the industry's most well-known comedians and comedy actors against one another to see who can pull the most outrageous practical jokes. Who Gets the Last Laugh?--which is set to premiere Tuesday, April 16, at 10/9c--is the brainchild of Punk'd co-creators Jason Goldberg and Ashton Kutcher.
Each week on Who Gets the Last Laugh?, three guest comedians must dream up the funniest and most outrageous pranks possible, then successfully unleash their ideas on an unsuspecting public. A live audience then determines which comedy star really got the last laugh, with the winner earning $10,000 to be given to the charity of their choice.
Among the comedians who have lined up to participate are Andy Dick (NewsRadio), Tom Green (The Tom Green Show), D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys), Chris Kattan (The Middle, Saturday Night Live), Bam Margera (Jackass), Bill Bellamy (Any Given Sunday), Charlie Murphy (Chappelle's Show), Cheri Oteri (Saturday Night Live), Alan Thicke (Growing Pains), Nicole Sullivan (MADtv), Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) and Finesse Mitchell (Saturday Night Live).

Deadliest Catch (Discovery) - 9 EDT

The 9th season starts tonight. If you tune in an hour earlier you’ll see a special that shows highlights from season 8.

Die Hard Trilogy (MoreMAX) - 8 EDT

The first 3 adventures of John McClane back-to-back-to-back.

Pierre Etaix Marathon (Turner Classic Movies) - 8 EDT

I had not heard of this French comedian until I heard that The Criterion Collection would be releasing a DVD boxset of his movies, which comes out next week. Many of those movies in that set are airing tonight. Seven hour marathon beginning at 8.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

top of the lake is already up on netflix instant, this feels a good a place as any to state
moved by duck muscles

Dan

Post by Dan »

LilLeftBrain wrote:top of the lake is already up on netflix instant, this feels a good a place as any to state
That's really cool. I haven't watched the finale yet. I wait for the HD versions to pop up on demand. They should be available today, but if not I'll go straight to Netflix.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I knew this day would come, but there is nothing that I would recommend watching tonight. I mean, there’s a new episode of The Americans on FX, but those of you who are already watching will continue to do so. If you’re not, try to avoid spoilers and just wait for the eventual DVD release, or hope that it comes to Netflix soon, or just get the torrents already.

When I started doing this thread I made a decision to not do it on weekends. Mainly because I just wanted to give myself a break from doing these as well as the weekly DVD Picks threads. Also, I just didn’t think there’d be anything worth posting about. Admittedly, I only had Saturday’s in mind, forgetting that Sunday nights are a huge night for TV with all the great shows on HBO, Showtime, and AMC.

So, since there’s nothing that I recommend tonight, let me use this space to tell you about a weekend show I watch that you should, too. I haven’t watched TV on Saturday nights since The Golden Girls and Empty Nest were on back-to-back on NBC way back when. I recently discovered a show that’s on Saturday’s at 9pm EDT on BBC America called Orphan Black.

I had heard good things about it without being spoiled on what the show was about. Just a heads up, I just Googled the show and the very first result gave away a major plot point without even needing to click on the link.
It’s been on for 3 weeks now, but I was able to catch the first 2 episodes airing at like 4am on Saturday. I set my DVR and watched them later that night.
This isn’t an imported show like a lot of programming on BBC America. This was made exclusively for BBC America and will most likely get a UK run after the season wraps up here.
I don’t want to give anything away (apparently, the trailers do), but it’s a show that takes place in Canada about a troubled woman who witnesses a woman who looks exactly like her take her own life by jumping in front of a train. The troubled woman has the brilliant idea of assuming the now deceased woman’s identity. Big mistake! The dead woman had more troubles than she could possibly have conceived. Too late now.
Three episodes in and this show has been really fun. I’d highly recommend catching up. Plus, the lead, who I’ve never heard of, Tatiana Maslany, is great in this and incredibly hot. She gets naked, too.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the first 2 episodes will be re-airing any time soon, so if you want to get into this you’ll have to catch them on demand or by downloading them.

I think the show is thread worthy and would love to see more people here on board with it. Has anyone watched/heard of it?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

heard about it, like some bit of a ringer/dollhouse hybrid (two shows i did watch in their completion, only one for the better), and am intrigued but there's way too much shit on to even think about getting into this 'til like six months from now. heard the twist you were referring to already, doesn't really bother me knowing about it. doesn't explain why i'm letting that first sentence lie, but whatever. ahh, gonna go head and d/l the already aired eps and shall continue d/ling on the weekly
moved by duck muscles

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

dan. youre awesome.

Dan

Post by Dan »

deepfriedjellol wrote:dan. youre awesome.
:cheers:

Dan

Post by Dan »

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Community (NBC) - 8 EDT

The writers really went for all the holidays this season. Too bad NBC decided to delay the broadcasts. Tonight is the Christmas episode.

Which Way Is the Front Line from Here?: The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington (HBO) - 8 EDT

Shortly after the release of his documentary Restrepo, photographer Tim Hetherington was killed in Libya. Colleague and filmmaker Sebastian Junger traces Hetherington’s work across the world’s battlefields to reveal how he transcended the boundaries of image-making to become a luminary in his profession.

Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell (Cartoon Network) - Midnight EDT

New show to the [adult swim] lineup.
A new live-action workplace comedy about Gary, an associate demon, as he attempts to capture souls on earth in order to climb the corporate ladder of the underworld.

X Games (ESPN) - 7 EDT

The 2013 Summer X Games starts today in Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil. If you have ESPN3 or the WatchESPN app, you can watch live events starting at 11am EDT. The televised evening events will be live as well.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

def down for the hetherington doc
moved by duck muscles

Dan

Post by Dan »

Friday, April 19, 2013

Hemlock Grove (Netflix)

Eli Roth’s exclusive show for Netflix is out today. All 13 episodes are available for streaming.
In the shadows of a rusted Pennsylvania steel town, the mangled body of a teenage girl is discovered. As they hunt for a monster among them, rumors mount and many of the eccentric residents become suspects, from the newly arrived gypsy family to the wealthy Godfrey clan. In the twisted world of Hemlock Grove, everyone hides a dark secret. From director Eli Roth (“Hostel”) comes a chilling supernatural series based on Brian McGreevy’s novel.

Out There (IFC) - 5:30 EDT

The entire debut season of IFC’s original series starts at 5:30pm leading to the season finale at 10.
Meet Chad Stevens -- a 15-year-old boy existing in the small town of Holford. He’s a loner, a soloist -- until he meets fellow outcast Chris. Chris hates Holford and is planning his escape, and he enlists kindred spirit Chad to help.

Washington Nationals vs. NY Mets (MLB Network, SNY, MASN 2) - 7 EDT

Two young pitchers with bright futures face off against each other. Stephen Strasburg (1-2) vs. Matt Harvey (3-0).

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Dan wrote:Friday, April 19, 2013

Hemlock Grove (Netflix)

Eli Roth’s exclusive show for Netflix is out today. All 13 episodes are available for streaming.
In the shadows of a rusted Pennsylvania steel town, the mangled body of a teenage girl is discovered. As they hunt for a monster among them, rumors mount and many of the eccentric residents become suspects, from the newly arrived gypsy family to the wealthy Godfrey clan. In the twisted world of Hemlock Grove, everyone hides a dark secret. From director Eli Roth (“Hostel”) comes a chilling supernatural series based on Brian McGreevy’s novel.

So how many shows is that now in the past 3 years that have stolen the basic premise of Twin Peaks? Its at least 3

alpha

Post by alpha »

Pretty sure twin peaks didn't have werewolves in it.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Monday, April 22, 2013

Rectify (Sundance Channel) - 9 EDT

Commercials for this constantly ran during Top of the Lake. There was no way you could tell what the show was about based on those. The main selling point seemed to be that it was from the producers of Breaking Bad. The description below is my first time learning what the actual show is about. I haven’t decided if I’ll give it a chance or not.
After spending 19 years on Death Row for the rape and murder of his teenage girlfriend, Daniel Holden is going home. His conviction has been vacated due to new DNA evidence, thrusting him back into a world he no longer knows. Having spent his adult life waiting to die, Daniel must now learn how to live again. But, his reentry into the outside world may be as unforgiving as prison. He is haunted by the past, dogged by the present, and uncertain of the future. As he struggles to adapt to his new life, his return will reignite the fears of a small town and threaten to shatter his family's fragile peace. Daniel's alleged crime divided a community. His freedom could tear it in half.

Sequels Better Than the Original (TVGN) - 9 EDT

It's rare that a movie sequel matches the quality of the original, and even more rare when it surpasses the first. So what's the greatest movie sequel of all time? Is it The Godfather, Part II? Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King? Aliens?
TVGN counts down 25 Sequels Better Than the Original Monday at 9/8c. Which ones do you hope make the list?

Chicago Bulls vs. Brooklyn Nets / Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Clippers (TNT) - 8/10:30 EDT

The NBA playoffs started over the weekend. Tonight features game 2’s for the eastern and western conferences.

The Wizard of Oz (Turner Classic Movies) - 8 EDT

Who could get tired of this classic?

jay

Post by jay »

Dan wrote:Thursday, April 18, 2013

Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell (Cartoon Network) - Midnight EDT

New show to the [adult swim] lineup.
A new live-action workplace comedy about Gary, an associate demon, as he attempts to capture souls on earth in order to climb the corporate ladder of the underworld.

This was decent for a fast watch - I guess my DVR only records in 30 min segments so I got a bonus episode of Eagleheart tagged on. Thanks Dan!

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

30 for 30: Elway to Marino (ESPN) - 8 EDT

An in-depth examination of the 1983 NFL Draft that was highlighted by a record six quarterbacks being taken in the first round, including future Hall of Famers John Elway and Dan Marino

Lawrence of Arabia (Turner Classic Movies) - 11:30 EDT

This movie is long, but beautiful to look at. It’s also pretty good, too.
Controversial British officer T.E. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) learns the culture of Arabs (Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn) and unites their tribes against the Turks.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Dan wrote: Top of the Lake

This has really been a great series. For me, it’ll go down as one of the best new shows of 2013.
just wrapped this up and yep, bloody good and gorgeous (tho dark as shit) series. would watch again & would recommend. if there's beefs to be had they lie mostly in the final episode, but that's for a different time/different thread
moved by duck muscles

Dan

Post by Dan »

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (NBC) - 12:35 EDT

Jimmy has a couple interesting guests on tonight’s show. Ricky Gervais and Talib Kweli.

Dan

Post by Dan »

LilLeftBrain wrote:
Dan wrote: Top of the Lake

just wrapped this up and yep, bloody good and gorgeous (tho dark as shit) series. would watch again & would recommend. if there's beefs to be had they lie mostly in the final episode, but that's for a different time/different thread
I had forgotten to finish this series until I saw your post this morning. I still had one left. Just finished it, and yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with that finale, either. Still, it was a great series.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah, wasn't ideal but didn't detract too much from how good the rest of the show was
moved by duck muscles