Independence Day: Resurgence (Trailer)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ThaJim2

Independence Day: Resurgence (Trailer)

Post by ThaJim2 »

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/03/26/i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ay-sequel/

Fuck yes to these movies.

Edit: Actually surprised as hell that the most influential movie since Jaws took this long to have sequels made. And I am not joking about the influential part the first one completely changed the way the industry worked maybe even more then Jaws and Star Wars did.

alpha

Re: Independence Day 2 and 3 news

Post by alpha »

of course you're not joking. you're a lunatic.

:cheers: This has potential to be awesome. No Will SMith and I don't even care.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I wonder if Smith doing MIB right after ID4 had a major influence on them not jumping right into a sequel.
All for this though. ID4 is one of the best summer blockbusters ever.

alpha

Post by alpha »

was just thinking, it's aged pretty well. caught it a few months ago and was instantly glued to the tv.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

yup, even the dumbest parts of the movie have me grinning from ear to ear
the dumb hoe from saved by the bell college years getting laser blasted
pretty much everything with Jeff Goldblum
Randy Quaid being Randy Quaid

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

alpha wrote:of course you're not joking. you're a lunatic.
The movie changed the way the studios market movies (all tent pole movies can trace their marketing campaign to ID4), changed the way they release movies (after the success of ID4 studios started taking much bigger cuts of opening weekend grosses) with huge theater counts, and the movies they actually produce.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Tommy Bunz wrote:the dumb hoe from saved by the bell college years getting laser blasted
:lol:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Well it's for real for real now
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Independence Day: Resurgence (Trailer)

Post by Philaflava »

I'm game. Need a Buckaroo Bonzai reload tho.

ric

Post by ric »

I did like the first one.

Post by 907 »

Looks god awful.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

This will be absolute ass.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

so unsurprisingly this was bad, sometimes even very bad

but I still enjoyed it, more than my GF, and she's the one who actually wanted to see it

the stuff that's inspired by/directly follows from the original actually works pretty well. the first act, which is mostly just about how things have changed in the last 20 years, was my favorite part. a more interesting movie willing to take some chances may have forgone another huge invasion entirely in favor of just dealing with fallout from the last one. they lay some interesting ground for it, like the idea that some aliens survived and persisted on earth for some time after 96.

but of course they don't do that, they try to do the Jurassic World thing and just retread the original with bigger booms and cheeky callbacks. and it mostly falls flat, just boring at best and kinda grotesque at worst. destruction of big cities and their landmarks is at this point nearly cringe-worthy, but these guys clearly didn't get the memo. trying to nail the balance of comedic and earnest from the original falls flat as fuck too, and results in some really bad dialogue. Smith's absence is very noticeable, there are 4 new heroic leads and they're all wooden as fuck. Spiner turns out to be the best returning character from the original, he has a bigger role now and he kills it.

but some of the new stuff does work imo and that's where I had fun in the 2nd and 3rd acts. basically, whenever the movie unclenches about trying to replicate the original and just has fun with being a dumb aliens attack creature feature, it's entertaining. I don't think the die hard fans of the original are going to like where it heads toward the end and how it sets up a sequel, but I was into it.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I really enjoyed it for what it was, a scifi popcorn flick. Agreed with a lot of what Drizz said, minus the cities being destroyed thing. The ship landing was pretty nice. Like the ideas they put forth if they want to continue the series. And the acting was pretty bad from
the new leads. If you go in with low expectations and just enjoy it for what it is, you'll be ok.

ric

Post by ric »

they learned their lessons from jurassic world that's for sure. even the garbage humor and horrible dialogue and weak camera shit. shit is so fucking weak. I caught it cause I had nothing else to do cause my date skipped out on me. lulz. retarded ass movie though.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

alpha wrote:Agreed with a lot of what Drizz said, minus the cities being destroyed thing. The ship landing was pretty nice.
I'll give you this - the idea that the antigravity engine would fuck shit up way more than some random laser blast was on point, and the shot of the city getting ripped up and floating up piece by piece looked cool as fuck. In the cosmic terror context the idea that the aliens can wipe us out just as a byproduct of parking their ship, is on point.

But I can't help it, maybe i'm just getting more pussy at my old age, but when they flew through London getting torn to shreds and sliced in somebody's lament of a friend likely dying down there in between a quip and a high five, I cringed hard.