new Louis CK HBO Special: "Oh My God"

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Julius Seizure

Re: new Louis CK HBO Special: "Oh My God"

Post by Julius Seizure »

that dude pretty much nails the impression and completely breaks down his style.

the special is pretty good, but i saw it live so i had heard the material. i did hurt myself laughing when i saw the show in person.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

First time watching Louis CK. Thought it was poor, but I'm guessing this probably wasn't a good place to start. Anything else I should check out?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Harry Hater wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
mud wrote:
Willie B wrote:finally saw it.
his shtick is running thin and he IS fizzling. he needs to step away from stand up for at least 2 years and just concentrate on his show.
Maybe his shitty ass show is fucking up his stand up?
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

Slow down there, buddy.
For real, the show is where he really shines imo. To me, the show is better thanhis standup.

Saw this today, kinda funny.
hilarious hahaha spot-on

my two pesos:

i fell in love when i saw footage of him in vancouver from 2004 i believe on youtube in which he does a bit about only having 15 bucks in his bank account not having a high enough minimum balance as he loses money for not having money "not ten dollars"

i bought the season of and and thoroughly enjoyed lucky louie

he peaked with his first hour long hbo special. his second was also outstanding but not as original and not as good as his first

his show on fx has been excellent when he creates palpable drama. it is good comedically for sure, but the best moments are tense

the show i bought off his website was good not great

and ive yet to see this one but ill keep some hopes up
Nets 2022

Verge

Post by Verge »

^I'm with you for an amount of what you say there so i had my hopes down for this one, i expected maybe one or 2 real laughs. So for me i was happily surprised and laughed hard through a good portion of it.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

this special was absolutely hilarious. really great stuff. the people complaining about obama compared to nixon just going away had me dying. one of my favorite recent hours of stand up.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Finally saw this, and it's meh compared to his previous stand up. I'll still listen to whatever he puts out, he's one of the best, but this might just be a slight dip in the road because he's being pulled in so many different directions. :pause:
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

bump for the new 'live from the comedy store' special
pret prett funny, would rank around the lower of his specials after an initial watch even though i gotta be white tho and prefer this loosey goosey ck to ck the pontificater. the forklift story, childhood dog, pretty standard rat fuck and the southern belle and the bat were aces. kind of surprised at how many of his set ups were shit that's been done before, probably the perils of putting out specials as often as he does. anyways, as it's said, standard louie is better than most and had a very good time watching this

zombie

Post by zombie »

link to whatever the fuck you are babbling on about please.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

uhh read the first ten words and fuck you
moved by duck muscles

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

for $5 you'll laugh like you had paid $500

alpha

Post by alpha »

:rofl: that was one of the more coherent llb posts..

anyway, I think the last one I saw was "the beacon" he's done a more than a few since then?

Verge

Post by Verge »

the rat shit had me lmao

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Terrible.

The most overrated stand up comedian of this Sad Ass Saggy Girl Shorts era.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

worth the 5 bucks but definitely not as good as any of his more recent specials. hilarious, beacon, oh my god, etc. are all much better. this one seemed pretty loose and less inspired. still funny for the most part just not nearly up to his potential

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

not as good and i agree maybe more loose, but for $5 you can't complain. shit most of us prolly DL it anyways.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Employee wrote:Terrible.

The most overrated stand up comedian of this Sad Ass Saggy Girl Shorts era.
I don't exactly know the exact time frame of said era, but if you think everything from Shameless to Beacon Theater is overrated you're either an idiot or this is your most pathetic troll ever.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Things emp thinks are the terrible:
Louis Ck
It's always Sunny
Birdman

Sounds about right.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

birdman wasn't terrible but i can understand him thinking it was ehhh

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:birdman wasn't terrible but i can understand him thinking it was ehhh
To be fair, when he was calling it terrible, he hadn't seen it yet.
Opinions are opinions and I'm by no means saying everyone has to like all the same things but this is more just part of a crusade against hyperbole. Words like "terrible" and "worst" get thrown around a little much when, in reality, most things we don't care for are more "ehhh".

Now, to get this back on topic, I look forward to peeping this new CK special. I do think his special have gotten steadily less awesome as he's been turning them out once a year but him at "less awesome" is still pretty great.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Louie bought a boat with his first DIY special. The man has needs homie. No question he'll bank a few million on this and buy some more black shirts that don't fit.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Pretty standard rat fuck is an apt description of his new special.
Funny, but shit feels like he is coasting at this point.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:
Philaflava wrote:birdman wasn't terrible but i can understand him thinking it was ehhh
Opinions are opinions and I'm by no means saying everyone has to like all the same things but this is more just part of a crusade against hyperbole. Words like "terrible" and "worst" get thrown around a little much when, in reality, most things we don't care for are more "ehhh".

Now, to get this back on topic, I look forward to peeping this new CK special. I do think his special have gotten steadily less awesome as he's been turning them out once a year but him at "less awesome" is still pretty great.
I'm sorry we're not all as milquetoast and easily placated as you; your culturally nuanced perspectives are simply breathtaking. Going forward I will, like you, strive for mediocrity.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Tommy Bunz wrote:shit feels like he is coasting at this point.
Anyone arguing against this point is a blind, boner-bumping Fanboy with little to no self-respect or intelligence.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

I'm sorry we're not all as milquetoast and easily placated as you; your culturally nuanced perspectives are simply breathtaking. Going forward I will, like you, strive for mediocrity.
Fine with me, but when you get there, just be sure to call it simply mediocre and not "the worst thing ever made".

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

How about "when I get there", you not police my verbiage and then you get off my dong?

Let me frame Birdman in terms a semi-tard like you can comprehend: Michael Keaton being unleashed in Inarritu's celluloid world is like listening to a Statik Selektah-produced Aesop Rock record.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

^^ did you see it emp?

zombie

Post by zombie »

i kinda understand what employee is trying to say, but hes wrong and still should watch it if he hasn't, and if he already has then his opinion is gay and sucks hairy man asshole, and fuck you i'm allowed to disagree with a (read; shit stain) opinion ~

Verge

Post by Verge »

well yeah, he's phoning it in, but still some laughs. I really don't expect well crafted knockout top level shit yearly while he's got other big things going on too. As long as i got some out loud laughs i'm cool with that. His opening act, with the corny step ladder joke, i love shit like that.

anyway, for small venue specials, the Robert Kelly live at the Village Underground special a week or two ago, he killed beginning to end, imo. But he probably was polishing that act for years while Louis is just shitting jokes out at this point. Which is understandable; he currently has a very large audience with open wallets so gather ye berries or whatever the fuck the saying is

Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Season 5 of Louie just started this week.