new Louis CK HBO Special: "Oh My God"

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Skeptic

new Louis CK HBO Special: "Oh My God"

Post by Skeptic »

http://www.hbo.com/comedy/louis-c-k-oh- ... index.html

It aired in the US last night.

Anyone catch it?

I saw him a few weeks back in London and he killed. I imagine the set is mostly the same material.

"Of course.......but maybe...."

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: new Louis CK HBO Special: "Oh My God"

Post by Philaflava »

It actually airs tonight in the US. I can't wait to see it but its the wifes Bday so I'll have to catch the replay.

He said after tonight he no longer will be using any material from the show.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Philaflava wrote: He said after tonight he no longer will be using any material from the show.
That's the way most stand-ups do it. People don't want to hear old material when they come to see you live unless it's absolutely legendary material a la Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words".
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Dan

Post by Dan »

Hello. This is Louis C.K. I'm writing for two reasons. Maybe three, but two that I can think of right now. If more come up, I'll return to this sentence and up the number. Ugh. Okay.

Reason one. I want to thank everyone who came out to see me on the road this year. I have never traveled so much and done so many shows. The tour covered over 100 shows in 39 cities. 300 thousand people came to see me. I can't think of one city where I didn't have a great time. That doesn't mean there wasn't one. I just can't think of it right now. Anyway there really wasn't one. (I'm so tempted to say "except Tampa" or something, just to be a dick. But the truth is I really enjoyed every show I did in every city I visited. This part is now too long to be in parentesies. I can't spell that word.) I went to a lot of places I had never been to before. Tulsa Oklahoma. Athens Georgia. Actually I think that's all. I had been to just about every other place.
Everywhere I went, the audiences were generous and energetic and just lovely and other puffy positive happy adjectives like that. And even though I keep undercutting my appreciation with sarcasm at the end of each sentence I truly honestly appreciate how many of you came to the shows and for your help in honing the material for my next special, which I'll get to in just a second.
I would also like to say thank you for participating in the experiment of buying the tickets directly from my site. We found that, while the average national tour can expect about 25 percent of it's tickets to be sold on secondary markets, the final count for this tour was less than a 1% scalping rate. So over 99 percent of those who came to the shows were able to pay the basic 45 dollars for their ticket. So yay about that. I felt like I saw more regular actual people in the front row, rather than Cohiba smoking loafers with no socks dudes who buy their tickets on stubhub and brag about how much they had to pay. Not to disparage anyone who smokes Cohibas and fits that description. But yeah, I'd rather see a tired looking couple who got a sitter and took the bus into town and they have a great time but then at the end of the show they are leaning on each other and sleeping. But they had row one tickets and they didn't have to pay some douche a bunch of money.
Okay so that's about tour.

Toward the end of the tour I recorded 4 shows at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix Arizona, which became my next standup special "Louis CK: Oh My God"
I picked the Celebrity theater because George Carlin shot one in that same place, which hasn't changed a bit since he did his in 1977. I got very intrigued by the idea of shooting a special "in the round".
Anyway, that special premieres tonight on HBO at 10pm.

"Louis CK Oh My GOd" will also be available on my website, louisck.com in September, globally, for the same 5 bucks you pay for all my shit that is there.

Okay so please watch the special and enjoy it.

regards,

Louis CK

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

i attended one of the shows at celebrity theater that was shot for this special and it was fucking hilarious. excited to watch this shit all over again.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

This had some really hilarious moments. The material started off a bit weak with some random observational humor (still funny but not what I'm looking for in a Louis C.K. special) but he eventually got into his brand of self-loathing/dark shit/social commentary which he's a master of. It was great, but if it was cut down to a 40 min special, it would be amazing. I felt that he was able to maintain the edginess which he's known for without it coming off manufactured, which was my main concern going in.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

it was pretty great. wouldn't be surprised if the observational/old lady stuff ObeseJesus mentioned at the beginning was more stream of consciousness to warm the crowd than a strictly crafted bit

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

def got better as it went along, twas really great all in all. wasn't the best bit of the night but had tears from the driving/elevator bit
moved by duck muscles

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

that whole lobby/tenant story was made up. he says this live at the show, but they cut it for the special.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Disappointing.

"My ass hole looks like..." bit = Lame
Recycling truisms and cliches about growing older = Lame
"Just sitting down and having to wipe my ass for no reason" bit = Too similar to "walking around in boxers and there's just like a little water down there in my ass crack" bit
The "Dead Kids" bit = Seems like he was trying to get a reaction

Far and away his most lackluster special yet. There are some brief funny spells, but they are far and few between. Plus having seen him live three times now I expected a lot more.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

the courtyard stuff & the bit about age/sex/body types stood out to me (tho i have a bad memory)

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

you always know a tit
moved by duck muscles

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

This was pretty disappointing. Some good bits like male/female perspectives on dating, elbow on teet, but other than that the majority of it was lame and I couldn't relate to his takes. Was hoping for at least one :rofl: moment, but kept waiting & waiting til the shit was over. Bunch of my friends went to Phoenix to catch this live, glad I decided to skip this one.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

No complaints about this.

Enjoyed it.

Performing stand up in the round seems like it would be hard as fuck.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

shit was fucking :rofl: of course. but mayyyyyyyybe...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

watching it again while i eat.

Verge

Post by Verge »

non torrent links anyone?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

On the west coast, it is replaying Thursday at 12 AM

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

It was really damn funny.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Started slow but it all came together nicely. Not his ebst hour but it's still way better than 98% of other peoples hours. At his point, he set a high standard for himself that I think people are just kinda waiting for him to fizzle or something.

Post by 907 »

Pretty much what Block said, not his best work but still better than anyone else is currently doing.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:Started slow but it all came together nicely. Not his ebst hour but it's still way better than 98% of other peoples hours. At his point, he set a high standard for himself that I think people are just kinda waiting for him to fizzle or something.
That's definitely what I was anticipating...

:thebest:

mud

Post by mud »

Verge wrote:non torrent links anyone?

Code: Select all

http://rapidgator.net/file/6b4b22ccc64829bb91d16d2dfe6ab6dc/Louis.C.K.Oh.My.God.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE.rar.html 
 http://www.filefactory.com/file/5l1j3enuq545/n/Louis.C.K.Oh.My.God.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE.rar 
 http://bitshare.com/files/x0t9we50/Louis.C.K.Oh.My.God.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE.rar.html
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Verge

Post by Verge »

thanks mud! :cheers:

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

finally saw it.
his shtick is running thin and he IS fizzling. he needs to step away from stand up for at least 2 years and just concentrate on his show.

mud

Post by mud »

Willie B wrote:finally saw it.
his shtick is running thin and he IS fizzling. he needs to step away from stand up for at least 2 years and just concentrate on his show.
Maybe his shitty ass show is fucking up his stand up?
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Post by 907 »

He already announced that he's taking a year off from doing the show, no new season this year.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

he's been a machine. creating a new hour every year for how many years in a row now? and they all have been top notch, except for this one.
he just needs to relax and enjoy being a minority at his convenience.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

mud wrote:
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

Slow down there, buddy.

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Blockhead wrote:
mud wrote:
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

Slow down there, buddy.
For real, the show is where he really shines imo. To me, the show is better thanhis standup.

Saw this today, kinda funny.