The Sopranos Discussion Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

The Sopranos Discussion Thread

Post by Philaflava »

I didn't want to take away from the great JG thread. Let's discuss the show, theories, when they jumped the shark and anything show related in here.

I'll start. I have absolutely no idea that :omar: was on the show. Clearly he wasn't known them but I never even made the connection.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: The Sopranos Discussion Thread

Post by Philaflava »

Tony at his comedic best.

"Jamal Ginsberg" the "Hassidic homeboy"

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Like I said in the other thread, I rewatched the entire series over the past year and literally just got to the finale earlier this week. Weird as hell.

Anyways, the show held up a lot better than I thought, even though the last two seasons have too much filler and the whole Vito storyline should've been erased from the drawing board from the jump.
The way that Chase chose to end it is brilliantly designed and terribly executed, and thus leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth whether you agree with it or not.
Just a slight change in the way the fade to black was edited would have made the world of difference. He was just too committed to the "you don't see or hear anything" idea.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i think know what happened to the russian (at least at the end of the episode).

there's a very very very subtle detail that offers a huge clue to how he eludes them, it confirms a general theory that's a lot of people assumed anyway

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I still maintain that season three was when things started to drag, but it had the best episode ever:

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

moved by duck muscles

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I'd have to say, after watching it again recently, that "Chasing It" from the final season is probably in my top three fave episodes.

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

It had it's moments all the way through. But Chase started to really eschew traditional narrative by the end of the series and I think it really hurt.

If you look at the pilot or that early episode where he takes Meadow to visit colleges and compare it to almost any episode in the final two seasons, it's hard to believe they're from the same show.

In a way, I kinda feel like Breaking Bad is a direct response to the Sopranos falling off. BB seems committed to give us satisfying narrative/plot in an accesible way all the way until the last frame.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

good read. this part was very :killacam: to me b/c i'm int he camp of ppl who think he unequivocably died. only sepinwall could've written this persepective though.
Nets 2022

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

buh, Gandolfini obit has spoiler alert in the header
http://thequietus.com/articles/12609-ja ... i-obituary

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Philaflava wrote:I didn't want to take away from the great JG thread. Let's discuss the show, theories, when they jumped the shark and anything show related in here.

I'll start. I have absolutely no idea that :omar: was on the show. Clearly he wasn't known them but I never even made the connection.

Minor SPOILERS follow- I assume most people have seen the show, if not I'll edit this post.

Just some brief crap:

I spotted Omar when I rewatched the show the last time. It's one of the few series I would rewatch from start to finish. Might be wrong but I think the idiots AJ was chilling with in the last few seasons (buying Cristal at clubs and passing out in toilets) featured the guy who plays Luciano in Boardwalk Empire.

I remember when Paulie killed the old lady that surprised me for some reason.

Raplhie and Richie Aprile were great psycho characters and elevated the show in my eyes whenever they featured in a scene. Ralphie was a scumbag through and through but very entertaining. Tony's relationship with Junior was often sad, like when he asked Junior whether he even loved him.

Christopher kept fucking his own life up, he was a fascinating character for a lot of reasons.

They wasted Buscemi, totally.

I have to skip most scenes with Carmella these days.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

rewatched the entire series. the ending was awesome and this is the best tv show of all time. thoroughly enjoying going through and reading all the reviews and comments from the episode reviews from the A/V club.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I rewatched it last year, definitely holds up well and rewards repeat watching, though it clearly wasn't designed for binge-watching as the concept didn't really exist when they made this show.

That said, the episode with Pauly, Chris and the Russian remains one of the best episodes in tv history.

And The Wire remains the best tv show of all time.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Versive wrote:though it clearly wasn't designed for binge-watching as the concept didn't really exist when they made this show.
:larry: Sopranos and other shows from this period hold up just fine to binge if you have time for them. Binge watching is mostly a result of increased availability, not plot structure/design.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I find myself liking it less and less upon repeated viewings. They have some tremendous episodes and a few entertaining arcs, but it is wildly overrated like most of the shit from that era.

Versive

Post by Versive »

drizzle wrote:
Versive wrote:though it clearly wasn't designed for binge-watching as the concept didn't really exist when they made this show.
:larry: Sopranos and other shows from this period hold up just fine to binge if you have time for them. Binge watching is mostly a result of increased availability, not plot structure/design.
Obviously it results from that. But some of today's shows are written with binge-watching in mind and this isn't one of them. There is a lot of recap that feels wholly unnecessary, specifically from one season to the next, and you might not get as much of that today. Also, much time passed between several seasons of The Sopranos and that can feel a little jarring when you're expecting the characters to pick up right where they left off. This isn't meant as a negative criticism BTW. That would be retarded.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^interesting point about recapping, i hadn't noticed. some devices like cliffhangers though are common to both binge shows & serials, for example.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

I used to think Adrianna LaSurveh was the hottest woman I ever seen...

Now she's basic as fuck

*shug
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Has someone already mentioned 'pine barrens'? Holy smokes was that episode ill. I wrote a short story based inspired by that episode ... it tanked though :/
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

^^ episode was lit. Watched Sopranos years ago but i still remember that specific episode. Only issue is they never tied up the loose ends. But Sopranos as a whole had A LOT of loose ends. Not sure if it was by design or a byproduct of extreme sloppiness on the part of david chase.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

ChaMerZ wrote:^^ episode was lit. Watched Sopranos years ago but i still remember that specific episode. Only issue is they never tied up the loose ends. But Sopranos as a whole had A LOT of loose ends. Not sure if it was by design or a byproduct of extreme sloppiness on the part of david chase.
The only "loose end" you are qualified to discuss is the one in your ass.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

ChaMerZ wrote:extreme sloppiness on the part of david chase.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

ChaMerZ wrote:^^ episode was lit. Watched Sopranos years ago but i still remember that specific episode. Only issue is they never tied up the loose ends. But Sopranos as a whole had A LOT of loose ends. Not sure if it was by design or a byproduct of extreme sloppiness on the part of david chase.
:retard:
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

wheels

Post by wheels »

Brilliant

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

dr melfi got raped and they just let that storyline go like that. they didn't do anything interesting with it. there's a bunch of other examples i have of this type of thing. they'd start out some interesting storyline thread and not commit to it and the conclusion would be lazily done.

maybe somebody more articulate can describe this phenomenon better. @Bunz, get my dick out your mouth. Following me in threads and shit - fukk outta here.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

i can understand why you might not be pleased with certain directions the show took. a lot of people have similar complaints. but david chase is known for being so meticulous and detail oriented that chalking his perceived missteps up to "extreme sloppiness" is a poor choice of words indeed.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ChaMerZ wrote:dr melfi got raped and they just let that storyline go like that. they didn't do anything interesting with it. there's a bunch of other examples i have of this type of thing
Borks.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

djjeffresh wrote:i can understand why you might not be pleased with certain directions the show took. a lot of people have similar complaints. but david chase is known for being so meticulous and detail oriented that chalking his perceived missteps up to "extreme sloppiness" is a poor choice of words indeed.
can you give me a specific example? i'm not really up on david chase or what he's done aside from sopranos. keep in mind i watched sopranos a long time ago so my memories on certain things may be fuzzy.