Ray Donovan (new Showtime series)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ardamus
O.G. Status

Ray Donovan (new Showtime series)

Post by ardamus »

June 30th. Looks promising.

Last edited by ardamus on Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Ray Donovan (premiering after Dexter)

Post by Philaflava »

Mr. Jolie can act like a mutha.

Post by 907 »

Looks promising, I'll check it out for sure.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

yooooo this looks great

i had no idea the cast was so good
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Ray Donovan INew showtime series)

Post by Blockhead »

If there's a thread for this , my bad. If not...
Anyone peep the first ep? Pretty promising. Great cast. Thugged out shit happening. secrets that will be revealed.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Ray Donovan INew showtime series)

Post by Philaflava »

Saw it last week thinking the show already started. Looks like ep 2 won't begin for another two weeks. Very promising so far. And like you said great cast but it's still too soon to call it.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Definitely my new shit to fuck with.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Wanted to like it more than I did. So far it seems like a good but not great show on FX; pretty good but with overblown aspirations that just end up being corny. (Basically not as good as early Rescue Me, but better than Lights Out, and pretty similar to this FX niche overall). Will keep watching to see if it gets better, though.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PopeyeJones wrote:(Basically not as good as early Rescue Me, but better than Lights Out, and pretty similar to this FX niche overall)
Post has mad tremors of Ithe.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

PopeyeJones wrote:Wanted to like it more than I did. So far it seems like a good but not great show on FX; pretty good but with overblown aspirations that just end up being corny. (Basically not as good as early Rescue Me, but better than Lights Out, and pretty similar to this FX niche overall). Will keep watching to see if it gets better, though.
well said. I think the premise is good and they have a solid cast but the pilot episode seemed a bit "on the nose" in lots of aspects. Hoping it gets a little more nuanced as the episodes go.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Yea, I wanted to like it but didn't even finish the first episode.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

i liked it *shrugs*

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Slow build for a first episode for now; my guess is they'll develop a tone and pace for the show within the 2nd and 3rd episodes. If you expect it to jump out at you fast with everything perfect, there won't be much for you to anticipate later on the season it seems.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

ardamus wrote:Slow build for a first episode for now; my guess is they'll develop a tone and pace for the show within the 2nd and 3rd episodes. If you expect it to jump out at you fast with everything perfect, there won't be much for you to anticipate later on the season it seems.
My problem wasn't a slow build, it was that it went to fast. Guy jumping from one ridiculous situation to the next. I don't want to get caught in another True Blood, where I watched for too long to stop watching even though the show really really sucks.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

naturalborn103 wrote:
ardamus wrote:Slow build for a first episode for now; my guess is they'll develop a tone and pace for the show within the 2nd and 3rd episodes. If you expect it to jump out at you fast with everything perfect, there won't be much for you to anticipate later on the season it seems.
My problem wasn't a slow build, it was that it went to fast. Guy jumping from one ridiculous situation to the next. I don't want to get caught in another True Blood, where I watched for too long to stop watching even though the show really really sucks.
I didn't think it went too fast. They pretty much laid out the format of how Ray works and what he does. Every first episode has to set the fundamental base of the main characters and the overall plot. Therefore, it won't always blow you away at first because its one of those FYI episodes, IMO.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

naturalborn103 wrote:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Confirmation that this show is, in fact, much better than I'd anticipated. You have to be one dumb ass motherfucker to compare "Ray Donovan" to "True Blood" for any reason.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Just watched the first episode. Loved it.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

the most unrealistic thing about the show was him being able to drive to so many different parts of LA all in the span of one day.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

intuition wrote:the most unrealistic thing about the show was him being able to drive to so many different parts of LA all in the span of one day.
:lol:

Echos of Dids' infamous critique of The Killing about what the rain is really like in Seattle.

Somewhat promising:

*Overall a strong cast
* The two brothers were by far the most interesting characters, and best actors in the pilot, IMO. They're the only two people I give a fuck about after the first hour.

Shit I wasn't feeling about it:

* The diversion "fixer" cases were corny and unrealistic on some TNT preposterous caper nonsense (White Collar, Burn Notice, etc.)
* The show needs an accent coach. Everyone supposedly with an accent except for the druggie brother were slipping in and out of it all the time.
* Strong and silent cypher-types as main characters are boring as fuck.
* Hollywood, per usual, is fucking ass at satirizing Hollywood.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Solid ep. Jon Voight kills it.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Philaflava wrote:Solid ep. Jon Voight kills it.
really? felt the opposite. the show is trying WAY too hard. The agent is an Ari Gold rip off and they seem to be attempting to evoke some sort of shock or outrage with some of the dialogue but its falling flat. Voight is definitely the most interesting aspect of the show but its all thrown together sloppily. If he's been in jail for the entire time both of his grandkids have lived, shouldn't there have been some sort of introductory phase instead of simply "hey! its grandpa! can we skip school, mom?!"

Maybe its because this is on right after Dexter that I'm feeling like Showtime's weaknesses are showing, especially in comparison to some other networks' Sunday night lineups (HBO, AMC), but the potential Ray Donovan has as a show is being destroyed by its execution. I'll probably keep watching, at least until better stuff returns on Sundays, but its hard to watch so far.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Not for me, I think they've done a decent enough job to make most of the characters interesting. Do I give a fuck about the gay son? No, but the interaction Voight had with him last episode was awesome.

Maybe the Ray's brothers are weak but a lot could happen as they leave some shit to speculate. The wife, Ray, his pops and Elliot Gould can carry this show.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

Has me intrigued a bit, and will continue watching the rest of the season to see where it leads, but yea, feels like an alternate universe version of Entourage

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Some really funny lines, most of which delivered by Micky. Decent filler/set-up episode.

admiral

Post by admiral »

Ray needs to put a bullet in his wife's head before she is allowed to utter another word

kato

Post by kato »

admiral wrote:Ray needs to put a bullet in his wife's head before she is allowed to utter another word
Trixie getting mad annoying these days.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

admiral wrote:Ray needs to put a dick in his wife's mouth before she is allowed to utter another word

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

F'real tho, Mick in the library looking at rap videos and saying he was an ass man was great.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Archie Graham plays a really creepy cop well.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

So far, I will say the unexpected comedy from Mick makes this show more well-rounded. Glad its not as serious as what it was made out to be in the trailers and previews. Ezra is kinda annoying with his scared of Mick shit.