Under The Dome (Stephen King)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ardamus
O.G. Status

Under The Dome (Stephen King)

Post by ardamus »

Saw it was a book by Stephen King in 2009. Wanted to know if anyone caught this. They just started with 2 episodes.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Re: Under The Dome (Stephen King)

Post by Reggie »

Saw the pilot, the dialog is so laughable that this may become my new favorite show.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i keep seeing the poster and thinking it was cruel to cast a bald dude for a show called 'under the dome'

also, simpsons did it

what's the general premise, why are they in the glass cage of emotion
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

bald dude would be hank right? haven't seen the posters but thought i heard he was the bad dude in this
thought i heard a cow gets cut in half
think i thought i downloaded the first two episodes. no, i did, finna watch some time
brian k vaughns doing it which probably means more to other peoples
he wrote some losts is about all i've experienced of dude
moved by duck muscles

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

drizzle wrote:also, simpsons did it
thats what i was thinking when i saw it, too. but its not a comedy; definitely a drama. plus, when did that Simpsons movie come out? Stephen King wrote this book in 2009, too.

yes, a cow gets cut in half and it looks great.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

alpha

Post by alpha »

drizzle wrote:i keep seeing the poster and thinking it was cruel to cast a bald dude for a show called 'under the dome'
why you gotta do Hank like that :owens:

alpha

Post by alpha »

I watched the first. the dialogue is bad.

1. the ending is supposed to be different from the book
2. i've read a couple articles, and while they advertise it as a mini-series I am worried they might try to pull a "the killing" on us and bring it back next year.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

from all accts i've peeped the book ending is a big ol' shit so even book readers don't seem to be upset at it getting switched up
as said, haven't watched a second of this yet, but if it's just a stand alone i'll make it through regardless of quality, if it's going to be longer than this run tho i reckon i could see myself bouncing after the first episode
might as well watch it before speculating but that's how this network shit seems to go these days
moved by duck muscles

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

The first episode had an all time awesome image when the dome fell in the middle of the cow.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

THe dialogue is shit, the main protagonist/soldier guy is dull, will continue for a couple more eps
UBM CD COMING SOON

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Fell asleep twice trying to watch the pilot. Didn't make it through more than 15 minutes either time.

(Not being a smartass. These are true statements)

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

The book was released after the Simpsons movie but King had been working on the manuscript off and on since the 70s.

The show was never planned to be a miniseries, it's intended to stretch out for as long as the ratings justify its existence.

It has little in common with the book other than the basic premise. Thought the pilot was kinda crappy. Junior's transformation into a psychopath happened way too abruptly, the people of Chester's Mill seem way more accepting of the dome than they should be, and the lesbian couple from LA is fucking awful. Gonna stick with it just because I'm a King stan.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

The dialogue in this show is so awful it makes it kind of fun. I like the show all while hating watching it.

The aww shucks gee willickers kid with the asian skateboard friend, the obviously gay dude playing the jealous boyfriend, the lesbian/bi-racial couple with emo daughter, the they're gonna take our guns cop who yells "your not my boss" in ep. 2. :lol:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Awful dialogue. Soap opera caliber acting. It'll be a ratings smash all summer though.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Combo7 wrote:
The show was never planned to be a miniseries, it's intended to stretch out for as long as the ratings justify its existence.

:owens: feels like "the killing" all over again.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Combo7 wrote:
Yeah. W/ my tinfoil hat on I suspect they're just calling it a miniseries to try to get the publicity of awards nominations for the pretty wide-open TV Movie and Miniseries Emmy category (a la what American Horror Story has been able to do), and to avoid talk of "cancellation" should it not do well.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I just want Hank back on my TV. This "Big Jim" is such a terrible, cliched character.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

The characters in the book aren't all that great either. No shades of gray whatsoever. King's capable of much better, but the book was so damned entertaining I didn't really mind. Not sure the same approach will work for TV though, especially given the caliber and complexity of some of the elite shows that most of us like to watch.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

all i would do if i watched this show is say "okay, who is whatever Simpsons character under this dome here" :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Post by Dan »

Bailed on this show 30 minutes into last night's episode. A new pregnant character is introduced. As she's screaming in pain, ready to give birth, she's suddenly calm and has an epiphany about raising a child in a domed society. Removed from the DVR right then and there.

I would have stuck with the show if it had been a mini-series, but when it was announced that it had been renewed for a second season, I was already starting to grow tired of it. No way I want to suffer with these characters for multiple seasons.

alpha

Post by alpha »

:cheers:

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

I'm still watching, it's so awful. This is the worst show I've ever actually watched without quitting. :owens:

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

never watched a second but apparently quit d/ling after ep4. think i'll go ahead and delete those now
moved by duck muscles