Best Stand Up Comedians 2013

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

LilLeftBrain

Re: Best Stand Up Comedians 2013

Post by LilLeftBrain »

oh hey went and caught big jay, dude tore that room apart, so fucking funny
gone peep hannibal tomorrow, shall see about this newfound exited delivery thing
moved by duck muscles

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Yeah, not-relaxed Hannibal threw me too. I know he's done TV before but maybe he amped it up for the Tonight Show.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

ric

Post by ric »

PopeyeJones wrote:
siLLy KiD wrote:
Sylissez wrote:Oh so we're hating on Gaffigan now? Fuck all yall.
he is the fucking worst. intolerable.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
tehgiftofgab wrote:
everyone pretty much acts like how i would imagine, chris rock might have been my favorite, he didnt say as much but when he did it was hilarious
great shit. oh man..............*sigh*

ric

Post by ric »

that one post at the bottom of last page? yeah the first thing ive seen of that hannibal dude. it was pretty funny

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Jim Carrey is annoying

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

ric wrote:that one post at the bottom of last page? yeah the first thing ive seen of that hannibal dude. it was pretty funny
don't know too many other people that can make me laugh just by saying "I think that chair is weird" and "rats are rats."

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Do people find Pete Holmes to be funny, I can't see how this dude got his own show.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

just recently, i'm talking about two months ago, downloaded a bunch of his podcasts when the surplus was running low and liked them/him far more than anticipated, but tellingly haven't went back after those five or six eps featuring peoples i like a whole lot more. seems a little bit goes forever and i got out prior to being terribly annoyed by him. haven't seen the stand up or the show tho. now that i type that ithink i did see the stand up a long time ago and he crowd worked upon me and the table i was residing at, weird, possibly untrue, flashback. he's probably funnier as well as better at interviewing than conan so there's that at least but will never see the show to find out about that format
moved by duck muscles

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

You guys check out Todd Barry's Crowd Work? Just watched it and loved it. Crowd work, when done well, is one of my favorite things in comedy.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

yup i was there at the vancouver show too

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

will probably catch that tood barry over the weekend. only time i've went to see todd live danzig was playing ~200yrds away and couldn't hear a word and felt like a fuck for bringing others into that situation
did just finish the new hannibal 5$ holler which, after indeed taking a good ten to get into his newfound delivery, slayed hard
syLis, you check dans unmasked thread? barrys the latest one (no lurkin),
moved by duck muscles

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Joe Mande's new stand-up mixtape "Bitchface" is on soundcloud and it's rele good:

https://soundcloud.com/joemande/sets/bitchface/s-y18Qn

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Peeped that Mande and Unmasked. Good stuff. Good, good stuff.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Hosting my show tonight, did 11 minutes of mostly crowd work. I've been actively trying to get away from crowd work, but fuck it I love doing it and I get good reactions from it.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

Saw Bill Burr at Largo on Monday and he had three other dudes open for him and it was the worst comedy i've ever seen in my life. Three 40 year old sweaty white guys in bootcut jeans making gay jokes. Each one of them had a bit about their wives not giving them blowjobs. I wish I had eggs on me.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

sounds about right, unfortunately
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

http://www.cc.com/episodes/8nt79b/comed ... n-1-ep-104
dave attells hosting a new comedy central show, an episode of which is up to watch and it's good stuff, big jays set in particular
moved by duck muscles

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

martin starr's interview >>>

"i went to vassar"

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Here's a stream of the full "American Comedy Awards" show which was on NBC this year. They got a few things right:

http://www.nbc.com/american-comedy-awar ... ds/2778443

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

"I'm here for the failure."

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I'm guessing this would be the appropriate thread, but is anyone watching last comic standing? A bunch of funny acts this year.

Seen?

Post by Seen? »

Saw Hannibal a couple weeks ago, small room. Killed as expected. Only recognized one bit from his Chicago special in the whole hour. Thought Tom Segura's Netflix special from this year was pretty good. Think Chelsea Peretti's hour that is being taped on June 13th should be pretty dope too. Burr is doing another special in ATL this year also?

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Ramen wrote:I'm guessing this would be the appropriate thread, but is anyone watching last comic standing? A bunch of funny acts this year.
Yup, I'm watching. There are a few really funny comics on this year but it's pretty clear that the need for diversity weighs greatly on the judging. Who knew that there were so many black female comics who are apparently funnier than Randy Liedtke. At this point, I'm hoping Joe Machi wins it. His set from last week was really good. I saw that Kurt Metzger is a contestant and I hope he didn't get cut, because he's probably one of the funniest working stand-ups.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i only saw the latest episode & thought it was mostly terrible. the judges are not great (even tho i respect all three on different levels)

i've seen zainab on arsenio & she is actually pretty funny (re: OJ's black women comment). randy liedtke was the best on that episode & he didn't make it through. i can't really remember all of the others.. but my 2nd fave comic of the night didn't make it through either. roseanne & keenan ivory both seem out of touch as far as the current state of comedy is concerned, but i guess they do represent the televised comedy competition middle of america demographic in that sense

i'll continue to watch

Post by 907 »

Just watched the Todd Barry crowd work thing, it was really fucking funny. Everyone who hasn't seen it yet should check it out, well worth the five bucks.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

RE: Last Comic Standing, Joe Machi's 2nd set was as good as his first. He's getting away with some really dark material.

Also, Chris Rock announced that he's going to host the BET awards. That should be really good.

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

ObeseJesus wrote:RE: Last Comic Standing, Joe Machi's 2nd set was as good as his first. He's getting away with some really dark material.
Good set. He's been killing it as Red Eye's Frightened correspondent for a while https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK1HAA5gKwc

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

caught the michael che half hour on cc, real good stuff. caught him about two years back in nyc and it was 85% those same jokes, but still, real good stuff
danny glover tear the club up danny glover
hate the machi (based mostly upon r&f appearances, one of the worst they've brought in more than once)
moved by duck muscles

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

saw jen kirkman on saturday. great times

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

going to see doug stanhope tomorrow in sac. here's to hoping he's not drunk as fuck and has a few good new bits. will give a full detailed report in a few days
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit