Best Stand Up Comedians 2013

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ackbar
Super Canadian

Best Stand Up Comedians 2013

Post by ackbar »

it's been a long while since my "alternative comedy" banger. let's try a new thread
there's a lot of great writers, podcasters, sketch, comedic actors.. but let's reserve this thread for truly great stand ups. ones who are doing it right now

Legends
- Patton Oswalt
- Bill Burr
- Louis CK
- Dave Attell
- Todd Barry
- Todd Glass

Contemporary
- Hannibal Burress
- Paul F. Tompkins
- Maria Bamford

"Alternative"
- Rory Scovel
- Brent Weinbach
- Eddie Peppitone
- Brody Stevens

People I Respect But Might Not Necessarily Always Vibe With
- Jim Norton

post videos, opinions, etc.

Harry Hater

Re: Best Stand Up Comedians 2013

Post by Harry Hater »

Doug Stanhope has a new special on netflix. Havent seen it yet but he should be up there with legends imo.

I think Moshe Kasher is up there, at least in the newbie category.

Chris D'elia is funny as fuck when hes up there just having fun, you can tell when hes doing written material cause its not as good.

Kirk Fox is also pretty fucking hilarious.

Duncan Trussell has a very interesting pov but I havent seen much of his stand up.

Thats all I got for now.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

If we're talking straight stand-up, I think Bill Burr is the king right now.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

duncan trussell is the shit. i honestly haven't heard enough of his straight up stand up tho to judge properly
kirk fox is great.

moshe kasher's book is the best thing he's done IMO. if doug stanhope fits anywhere on my list it's w/ jim norton

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Although I couldn't stand him a few years ago, Doug Benson's writing has become a lot stronger. I'm about to check out his newest album.

John Mulaney's special from last year was pretty amazing.

Paul F. Tompkin's last few releases have been great.

Stanhope is def. "legend" status IMO. He's up there as one of my favorite comics of all time, and when I caught him live this year, he still killed.

Louis C.K. is of course still amazing, it's just hard to ignore the whole media-darling thing.

Anthony Jeselnik's "Caligula" from last year was really good.

Marc Maron's last album was surprisingly good to me. I've enjoyed him as a personality since "WTF" started, but didn't expect much from his stand-up. But he brought the funny.

Tig Notaro's "Live" album was pretty epic. Her ultra-dry style can be hilarious.

Jim Norton's special from last year was really good, haven't had a chance to check out his special which was released last week yet though.

Dan Soder is killing it in the up-and-coming circuit.

Rory Scovel's album from last real was really funny, although I feel he relies more on funny voices and a bit of acting as opposed to just raw joke writing. That's not to take anything away from him, I just value the jokes more than how they're sold.

I'm really enjoying the comeback of Andrew Dice Clay. His special from last year was legit hilarious.

Like I said above, I think Bill Burr is the current king of the hill. He just has the funniest perspective on everything.

There are many stand-ups who I'm a big fan of in other comedic arenas such as a majority of the alt/Comedy Bang Bang crowd (Nick Kroll, James Adomian, Jason Mantzoukas, etc.) and the other podcast heavyweights (Joey Diaz, Bert Kreischer, Ari Shaffir, Pete Holmes, Todd Glass, Howard Kremer, etc.) but from a strictly stand-up perspective, I can't really include them in the list.

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Word about the podcasts, its a different kind of funny.

And fuck yea Ol Billy boy. He does his podcast by himself, every week without fail and always makes me laugh. He's the only one killing it in both stand up and podcasting.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Kyle Kinane, yo.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Harry Hater wrote:And fuck yea Ol Billy boy. He does his podcast by himself, every week without fail and always makes me laugh.
Not to derail the thread further into podcast territory, but this brings up a really important point. It's damn near impossible to be funny by yourself in a podcast/radio setting. Even a nearly non-contributing 2nd mic (Fez, for example) provides someone to play off of. I've heard a few comics attempt to do a solo podcast and it's always atrocious, except for Bill. I'm always amazed at how Bill is able to keep his pace up and create an hour or more of funny content just sitting there by himself, talking into a mic.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Sylissez wrote:Kyle Kinane, yo.
:cheers: yup Kyle Kinane is the man. I just hope he doesn't get stuck in a party-guy/foul bachelor frog rut.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Mulaney
Hannibal
Chelsea Peretti
Ron Funches

Aziz has really fallen off.

Kinda impartial to Birbig's other stuff, but on old stage he still kills.

Standup story of 2013 though is definitely Chapelle trying to take his new style on an actual tour, and dumb fucks expecting old Chapelle (when he's been doing this for years now) and being disappointed. Bigger story though probably -- which doesn't get talked about that much - - is everyone, including C. K., abandoning the DIY route almost immediately and heading back to contract work with corporations.

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

Honorable Mention to Eric Andre whom I saw twice this year, he slayed both times.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

not sure i get and/or agree with the aziz hate. i saw him last year on the buried alive tour (i think the netflix special airs real soon) and it was his best material to date. i agree that his old stuff was kinda hit and miss because it was all over the place but i thought his newest hour was by far his best.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

patrice oneals camp just released a new cd of unreleased shit this year which was pretty hilarious

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

seems it been a while since i've seen much standup. will be peeping that stanhope on nflx super soon tho
moved by duck muscles

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

oh ya tig. she's def one of my faves too

alpha

Post by alpha »

No one mentioned Jeffries yet?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Are Neal Brennan and Joe Mande considered stand ups or writers?

PEACE

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

alpha wrote:No one mentioned Jeffries yet?
I knew I was missing someone. I think he's on another level.

Eric Andre is funny but I havent seen much of his standup.

Neal Brennan is definitely a standup. Not sure about Joe Mande.

Do you guys fuck with the laugh factory youtube channel? Lots of gems on there.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

I was at that Tig show at largo last year. tbh I only went to see Burr but she was obviously great. I think Aziz is a hack and has always been a hack. He's also a horrible comic actor and the only bad thing on P&R.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Agreed on most, think Kinane is great, while I'm :brown: slightly biased, am a big fan of Hari Kondabolu.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

never been much of a fan of jim jeffries tbh. stanhope i think might just not be my cup of tea really
kinane is great. joe mande, harris wittels i def think of writers first & stand ups second. mulaney & peretti too.. but they both seem to be just as serious about stand up. neal brennan is basically a stand up first nowadays. i don't think he's great personally tho

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Also, Joe DeRosa is pretty good. Gotta check out his new album. Saw him a couple times last year as he was putting it together. Good stuff.

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

Besides Louis CK my new favourite is Nick DiPaolo. I noticed him on some roasts before, but didn't pay attention to his other material. All his stand-ups are good, though he repeats some jokes occasionally.

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Bill Burr
Joe Derosa
Paul Virzi
Bobby Kelly

Imagine if Comics could collab like rappers do. Actually, minus Paul Virzi the above mentoned did put out the book and short film, Cheat. Which I thought was pretty great.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Last comedian I saw live was Jay Mohrs.
I still like him,

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Dap

Post by Dap »

bill burr is running shit these days

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

That Carol Leifer got jokes, guys.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

samdoom wrote:not sure i get and/or agree with the aziz hate. i saw him last year on the buried alive tour (i think the netflix special airs real soon) and it was his best material to date.
Saw the same tour and wasn't really feeling it. Just way more of him being bitter, acting like a brat with the crowd (at least at the show I saw), and doing schticky stuff about instagram and twitter in between complaining about women and dating in a way that didn't feel that fresh. In some ways I feel like he might be like Pablo Francisco (in the extreme) or Gaffigan (a weaker version of the same thing) in that he only had a limited amount of really good material in him, and doesn't have too much to add after he got that stuff out.

Curious about other opinions when the new special comes out.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Total Stewart Lee Stan.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Oh so we're hating on Gaffigan now? Fuck all yall.