True Detective (HBO)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

siLLy KiD

Re: True Detective (HBO)

Post by siLLy KiD »

ackbar wrote:the thing is: scenes in tv shows & movies are scenes in tv shows & movies. chances are a lot of things are there intentionally. and even if they're not, it should never take away from what you "get" out of something. when you look at a painting do you always think "oh wow that guy can paint a really neat circle"? the only problem is if you always expect things to directly relate to plot points

Trust me, if you're directing a movie or a show - EVERY thing that comes into that little frame is looked at and is there for a reason. Unless you are a talentless twat. But this guy, (or these guys?) seems to be the former.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Really diggin this idea I found on another forum:
I'm really into the idea that some people have pointed towards that there are forces of evil and forces of good converging in these crimes. At first I couldn't decide if the "war behind things" was a huge clue or a huge red herring, but when you consider the preacher from ep1 and his explanation of the devil traps (warding off dark spirits) I'm picturing a scenario where the agents of good are acutely aware of the evil and its perpetrators. Their way of combatting this evil without revealing themselves is to leave signs in key places in order to lead their chosen warrior (Cohle) towards a path that could possibly put a stop to the horrors. Of course it could and probably will destroy him in the process, but this is an ancient struggle we're talking about. The kids will end up in the room over and over and there will always be another warrior.
This would make the similarity to Kill List stronger; it is def there now but mostly in a vaguer tonal way that can be ascribed to a few other movies as well.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Have to say that I highly doubt that the series is going to take a turn for the surreal or supernatural at this point.
We're halfway through the series now, it would be highly unusual for a show to take a turn like that this late in the game.
Most shows that get heavy into the surreal at least show flashes of it early on, in Lost the polar bear was in the pilot and in Twin Peaks they showed the black lodge in the 2nd or 3rd episode at the latest.
True Detective has been grounded in reality this whole time. I think its just confusing people because stylistically it taps into a lot of surrealist film.
But i think it is definitely more Jeff Nichols than David Lynch.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

Is this shit reaching on "Lost" level of nerdiness? Can't think of another show in recent memory where nerds congregated on internets over obscure literary references, good vs evil, and quantum physics

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^the breaking bad thread is just like this.

hustler

Post by hustler »

its the sign of a great show.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Started in on 'The King In Yellow". Really fun read but now living in fear of a weird fiction wormhole in which growing a Van Dyke and a ponytail makes total sense.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Blockhead wrote:^the breaking bad thread is just like this.
yeah, obsessive people tend to overanalyze any great show that they watch

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

not a clue or anythign just a great shot from the title sequence
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Boner.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Smitty wrote:Started in on 'The King In Yellow". Really fun read but now living in fear of a weird fiction wormhole in which growing a Van Dyke and a ponytail makes total sense.
I don't know if Reggie freaked me out, but started reading and stopped. And this song gives me the creeps.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Just marathoned the season so far and I'm all in on Tuttle being the Yellow king or heavily involved. Here's my reasoning

When Rust and Hart first caught the case Tuttle showed up at the station
When Rust and Hart started gaining traction Tuttle's Task force showed up and got copies of all of Rust and Hart's files
The tent preacher is also affiliated with Tuttle, Dora Lang was a member of his congregation. He also lead the congregation at the burned down church.
The washed out school that lang also attended and Chole found all of the devil catchers was founded by Tuttle's foundation
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

blastmaster wrote:Boner.
that's a CG booty:
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

Marty is the killer. Brother Mouzone asked Marty if he thought Rust was steering the case to where he wanted it to go, however, if you pay close attention Marty is the one that really is doing this. His overreaction to killing Reggie ledeoux was questionable. He has admitted that he's never pulled his gun nor has he had to but all of a sudden he draws blood.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Trub320 wrote:Marty is the killer. Brother Mouzone asked Marty if he thought Rust was steering the case to where he wanted it to go, however, if you pay close attention Marty is the one that really is doing this. His overreaction to killing Reggie ledeoux was questionable. He has admitted that he's never pulled his gun nor has he had to but all of a sudden he draws blood.
That might be the funniest (and most wrong) theory yet. Thank you.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Yeah no way either detective is the killer. Marty is probably some closet Jesus freak who may or may not have touched his daughter after one drunken night. Regardless, his heart pumps kool-aid. Tuttle is the best call IMO. Maybe not the actual killer, but the mastermind behind it. He has too much juice not to be involved. And no way Eli Thompson puts on an AZ Life's A Bitch performance with the sermon and has no more screen time. The links are there you just gotta wait for it.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Blockhead wrote:
Trub320 wrote:Marty is the killer. Brother Mouzone asked Marty if he thought Rust was steering the case to where he wanted it to go, however, if you pay close attention Marty is the one that really is doing this. His overreaction to killing Reggie ledeoux was questionable. He has admitted that he's never pulled his gun nor has he had to but all of a sudden he draws blood.
That might be the funniest (and most wrong) theory yet. Thank you.
Sounds someone read that dumb post on Yahoo a few days ago. Check it: http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/hbo-t ... 50813.html
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

perlman

Post by perlman »

To help pass the time between True Detective episodes I started pretending Underwood from House of Cards is The Yellow King. And he is proceeding along with his evil schemes, occasionally dipping to Louisiana or other backwoods locales, for some "good killin" and enjoying the cult leader lifestyle, not knowing that Rust has figured out just how high this case goes, and with bring him to justice as season's end. And Marty will bang his wife and then feel bad about it.
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/boa ... 655682?p=7
Support for the idea that a fringe religious cult (in particular, one based at least in part on the cosmic horror mythos found in the works of Robert Chambers and H.P. Lovecraft) is behind the murders of Dora Lange and Rianne Olivier as well as the disappearance of Marie Fontenot has increased dramatically over the past week or so. The following two theories expand on the possible nature of the cult in some detail.

“Five Kings” Theory Theory submitted by wrongview, originally from reddit.

Rating: 4.

This theory is essentially a greatly expanded version of the Hart Family Cult Theory. Like the Hart Family Cult Theory, this theory holds as its central principle the idea that a secret religious cult is responsible for the Olivier and Lange killings and the Fontenot disappearance, and that Marty’s daughters are connected to this cult through a member of Marty’s family. However, unlike the Hart Family Cult Theory, this family member is not Marty’s father-in-law (Maggie’s father), but rather Marty himself. The author of this theory maintains that Marty is one of the “Five Kings,” a group of five men who, sometime prior to the Fontenot disappearance and the 1995 killings, formed a secret church dedicated to the resurrection of the “Great Old Ones”—powerful beings from the fictional Ctulhu universe created by the (real) American horror writer H.P. Lovecraft. According to this theory, the four other Kings are: Dora Lange’s father, Marie Fontenot’s father, Rianne Olivier’s father or Reggie Ledoux’s father, and Reverend Tuttle. The author claims that the cult’s theology consists of a combination of elements from the Ctulhu mythos, satanic worship, and Christianity, and that the central doctrine of the church is that a daughter of each of the Five Kings is required to willingly allow her own ritual sacrifice in order to bring about the resurrection of the Great Old Ones. Four of the five sacrifices must each take place in one of the four classical elements: Earth, Air, Fire, or Water. In support of this claim, the author cites the media in which the bodies were found: Rianne Olivier’s body was found in a river, thus her sacrifice was made in water; Dora Lange’s body was placed underneath a tree, hence her sacrifice was made in earth; the Lake Charles woman was found suspended in the air; finally, the author holds that because Marie Fontenot’s body was never found, she must have been burned, and therefore her sacrifice was made in fire. While it cannot be denied that the deaths do fit the pattern of sacrifice in each of the elements, it is unclear to me whether or not this requirement is an actual component of the Ctulhu mythos (perhaps someone better versed in Lovecraft can clarify this).
Understandably, in order to ensure that their sacrifice is made willingly, the girls must be indoctrinated in the ways of the church from an early age. As evidence for this indoctrination process, the author cites Audrey’s sexual drawings from episode 3, the dolls tableau from episode 2, and the spiral drawing on a wall of Marty’s house that can be spotted in episode 3. This evidence is nothing new, and it is also cited by proponents of the Hart Family Cult Theory. However, this theory makes an additional insight that is very intriguing—in three weeks on this board, I have not seen the following observation made by anyone. The author of the Five Kings Theory notes that the mural discovered by Hart and Cohle on the wall of the abandoned church at the end of episode 2 does NOT depict a woman with antlers; rather, the five vertical markings surrounding the head of the woman (which can easily be mistaken for antlers) are the silhouettes of FIVE MEN. Now, when I first saw the image of the mural, I distinctly remember thinking that what I assumed to be the crown of deer antlers on the woman’s head was too angular and symmetrical to represent antlers. When I inspected the image more closely after reading the present theory, I realized that the five figures surrounding the woman bear an eerie resemblance to five men standing upright. In fact, I am now almost fully convinced that the five figures do not depict antlers, but rather five men standing around the woman in the foreground. This is a remarkable bit of evidence in support of the author’s perspective. The author then goes on to speculate that the mural of the naked woman was painted by the girls to be sacrificed, and is therefore further evidence of the girls’ indoctrination at the hands of the Five Kings. So far, there is no evidence to suggest that the mural was painted by any of the daughters, but it could easily be revealed to have been painted by one (or more) of them in a later episode.
Drawing from the above evidence and his postulation of the existence of the Church of the Five Kings, the author of the theory proceeds to lay out a prediction of how the entire story will unfold given Marty’s status as one of the Five Kings. I will not comment on the author’s hypothetical plot developments, as they are all founded on the idea of Marty’s involvement with the Church of the Five Kings, and that is one aspect of the theory I find fault with. I do not believe that Marty is one of the Five Kings, or that he is involved with the cult in any way. I find it very hard to believe that Marty would have been able to conceal the indoctrination of his daughter(s) from Maggie for so long (assuming, of course, that Maggie is not complicit in the cult’s activities as well, which I highly doubt). I also find it highly unlikely that he would have been able to conceal his cult-related activities from Cohle, with whom it seems that Marty developed a fairly close relationship over the 7 years following the resolution of the Lange case. As I did in my evaluation of the Hart Family Cult Theory, I hold that the troubling behavior of Marty’s daughters is simply a thematic element specifically designed to portray the loss of childhood innocence. In addition, I am doubtful of the author’s claim that the Five Kings are influenced by the work of H.P. Lovecraft. Again, I am not familiar with Lovecraft’s work, so I do not know whether or not the nature of the killings resembles anything found in Lovecraftian literature. However, it seems to me that there is just not really any evidence at this point indicating that the cult’s work is in fact influenced by the Ctulhu mythos (so far, there have been references to the works of Chambers and Bierce, who both influenced Lovecraft, but there have been no references to the work of Lovecraft himself). Therefore, in light of these considerations, I would make a couple of adjustments to this theory: 1) An as-yet unknown character, and not Marty, is the fifth King; 2) the cult’s religious doctrine is not derived from the Ctulhu universe, but rather from an earlier brand of cosmic horror; namely, the work of Robert Chambers. In light of these adjustments, I find the evidence concerning the mural to be strong, and I am willing to regard the adjusted theory as being likely based on that evidence alone. Whatever the source of the cult’s religious inspiration, it is beginning to seem indisputable that a cult with five leaders is behind the murders.

Yellow King Theory Theory submitted by lipanwrangler.

Rating: 3.

Like the “Five Kings” theory, this theory holds that a cult is responsible for the killings. However, this theory posits that the cult is not merely influenced by the works of Robert Chambers, but rather that the fictional universe created by Chambers is REAL in the world of True Detective; that is, the events of True Detective have a supernatural underpinning. Lipanwrangler holds that True Detective writer Nic Pizzolatto has created a world in which the writings of Chambers do not exist; therefore, Pizzolatto’s references to the literary genre of cosmic horror (i.e. the Yellow King and Carcosa) are signs that these fictional places and things are real entities in the True Detective universe. In essence, Pizzolatto has chosen the mythos of cosmic horror as a vehicle through which to portray the supernatural nature of the grisly happenings in Louisiana from 1995-2012. Of course, this theory cites as evidence the references to Carcosa and the Yellow King in episodes 2 and 4. In the world created by Chambers, Carcosa is a fictional city ruled over by the Yellow King; anyone who comes into contact with the Yellow King loses the ability to distinguish between what is real and what is imagined, and as a consequence he/she becomes insane. Lipanwrangler suggests that the members of the cult have been “touched” by the Yellow King and therefore have been driven to insanity. Followers of the Yellow King come to believe in a line of inheritance to dominion over Earth; this lineage is sponsored by the Yellow King, and his followers will kill to secure their rightful place on the line of inheritance. Thus, Lipanwrangler contends that the cult’s members, in the grip of the Yellow King, have sought to achieve this end by committing the murders investigated by Hart and Cohle. Standing alone, this theory does not seem to make much sense, as it is unclear why the cult members would only target young girls if they are indeed driven by the need to secure their inheritance to the rule of earth; Lipanwrangler himself acknowledges this difficulty. However, when we consider this theory in conjunction with the “Five Kings” Theory, in which each of the victims is a daughter of one of the Five Kings, we see how the nature of the killings may reflect the work of Chambers. If the Five Kings are driven by the desire to secure the inheritance granted to them by the Yellow King, and if for some reason they believe that the inheritance will be passed down to one of their daughters (perhaps the eldest one), it stands to reason that the Five Kings would seek to kill their daughters.
Although it seems possible to draw a logical connection between the murdered girls and Chambers’ fictional universe, the connection alone does nothing to suggest that the Yellow King mythos is actually real in the True Detective universe. Even if it is true that the cult’s murderous activities are driven by the desire to prevent the passing of the Carcosan inheritance to their daughters, I see no reason to discount the idea that the cult is influenced by Chambers’ writings to a radical extent, rather than being influenced by a real, supernatural incarnation of Chambers' writings. As evidence of supernatural forces at work, lipanwrangler cites Cohle witnessing the flock of birds forming into the shape of a spiral in episode 2. He claims that this was not one of Cohle’s hallucinations, and that the birds did indeed form a spiral due to the influence of a supernatural agent. In opposition to this view, I argue that Cohle’s hallucinations and visions due to his extended term of duty in undercover narcotics have become a well-established element of his psyche; this fact alone is solid evidence in support of the notion that the birds forming a spiral was just another one of his visions. On the other hand, there is no concrete evidence that the birds did indeed form a spiral. However, just as there has been no concrete evidence so far to support the notion that the cult’s activities are driven by supernatural forces, there has been no concrete evidence to support the converse of this statement. Indeed, within the context of the narrative, it is impossible to prove that supernatural forces are NOT at play; we will only know for sure if, when the series comes to a close, no supernatural events have occurred. Therefore, since so far there has been a lack of evidence indicating the presence of supernatural forces, I make the following adjustment to this theory: No supernatural forces are at play. In light of this adjustment and the possible connection between the Yellow King lineage and the murdered girls, this theory seems plausible.
:ohhh:

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Can't people just watch this shit? People who never heard of Chambers are now wiki experts. Lame.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I don't want this show to end. Holy fuck. But I'm also batting 1.000 with these calls. I need a twist.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Philaflava wrote:I don't want this show to end. Holy fuck. But I'm also batting 1.000 with these calls. I need a twist.
Even if there is no twist this goes down as one of the greatest shows ever. Fucking amazing on every level.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Dat ass

:icedit: the chick Marty was banging, not Mcconaughey :pause:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

pradadon wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I don't want this show to end. Holy fuck. But I'm also batting 1.000 with these calls. I need a twist.
Even if there is no twist this goes down as one of the greatest shows ever. Fucking amazing on every level.
I think Drizzle said it earlier, it's like a slow burn. A burn I don't want to end. The acting, the dialog, the T&A, the whole fucking thing knocks. I have a feeling season 2 will be severely ridiculed with a whole new cast like we did with It Was Written.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Excellent episode as always but I'm really here to ask for still of that girls ass. ANTE UP!

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Old boy was wearing a yellow tie.

And good God, dat ass.