True Detective (HBO)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tweak Da Leak

Re: True Detective (HBO)

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Blockhead wrote:Rue detective 2
UBM CD COMING SOON

admiral

Post by admiral »

Best part was the gawd Leonard Cohen on the opening credits

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

admiral wrote:Best part was the gawd Leonard Cohen on the opening credits
the new theme? are you kidding me? that shit was like Mike Meyers's slam poetry in Axe Murder
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Yea I love me some Len, but that shit was awful.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

pretty good take that acknowledges the faults but tries to find the upside

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... -the-dead/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't like Ferrell's character quite as much as the writer did but he's got a point

starks

Post by starks »

it was awful

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

I'd read so many terrible reviews of it, so was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it a lot, despite a few mildly cringeworthy moments. Vince Vaughn cannot act to save his life.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I loved it. It ruled. Fuck you guys.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Mcadams opening scene with her BF was :rofl:

Kace

Post by Kace »

drizzle wrote:Also keep in mind that the horror/occult implications are what really kept people interested in teh plot last season. Without them it's just a detective story and Nick Pizza is really not as good of a noir writer as he thinks he is.

I'd love to be proven wrong but i'm not really counting on this to be a sure thing at all.
The occult overtones are still present in the new season, even if they're not as explicit as in the first one. First off you got the existentialist Guru hippy dad who named his daughter and institute after a character and place name from two Greek tragedy plays. Then there's the interior of the city manager's house that had a freakishly weird vibe too, not to mention the strange way in which he was murdered. The mood of the show is still grim as fuck, which is a good thing of course. Unfortunately the dialogue and acting is pretty substandard though.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I feel like saying True Detective wouldn't be good without the occult stuff is kind of like saying The Wire wouldn't be as good without the heroin trade stuff. Thats a huge part of the show/plot, and the most interesting thing about the show.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Vince Vaughn cannot act to save his life.
News flash.

And yet, dumb faggots will tune in, and think nothing of it.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

1 down, 2 to go. These detectives are so unlikeable I'm rooting for the bad guys. Farrell is such an average actor, and I've discovered a burning hatred for Kitsch I never knew existed. Vaughn continues to be the best part of this show which is a bad sign. That monologue of his at the beginning of the episode was awful.

These two episodes just how important McConaughey and Harrelson were last season, they're head and shoulders above everyone from this season. The writing is also worse, but better actors might be able to save it. The cartoony acting from Springfield and the mayor during this episode really felt out of place as well.

Maybe things start to take a turn now that Crowface Killah is around. The occult angle might help if that's the direction they're going here, but something needs to change. I'm sick of all the background and exposition, get on with it.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

jamrage wrote:Vaughn continues to be the best part of this show which is a bad sign. That monologue of his at the beginning of the episode was awful.
that was some of the worst tv I have seen in a long time.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Yeah, outside the final scene, this was a really bad episode. Every scene I found myself being like "what the fuck are they even talking about?:
It's not like I didn't get the gist, I just didn't care.
That said, Ferrel is dead? If so, that's a bold fucking move.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

No way he doesn't Jon Snow this. Show is barely interesting as it is. Plus there is no reason in the world to bring on that ex-wife who seems to be staying put for the final 6 episodes to just kill him in the 2nd. He'll probably die, but not this soon IMO.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Also every time Vaughn delivers a line I'm expecting him to throw in a 'you're so money or your just kinda gently batting the bunny around."

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Vaughn can't seem to adjust his cadence to his lines
UBM CD COMING SOON

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I'm genuinely interested in seeing how this whole thing plays out, but some of the acting and even the direction is just very sub standard, and that's not even comparing it to last season, I'm just speaking in general. I won't judge the show until I see the whole 8 episode season, but thus far it has been very underwhelming. I can't lie though, that last scene was pretty dope. The Cadillac being out front was an instant perk you up moment and what takes place with the masked man def has me intrigued now to see more. Especially since that mask was next to Casper in the car ride in season one. I can't see this shit not turning into some deep rooted shit as it unfolds.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

is there any way that Ferrell got shot with rubber bullets and he's gonna be tortured/held hostage vs he's simply dead? I mean the second shot made it seem like he was done for, but on the next episode preview the co-worker said "when one of our guys gets shot" as opposed to killed.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

IMDB has him listed for 8 more episodes so unless its all flashback, how could he possibly be dead?

ian e

Post by ian e »

outcome of the shooting?

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

they really should have just left true detective as a 1 season mini series and titled this something else with a "from the creators of True Detective" tagline

im continuing to watch only because of how great last season was and thats the only reason im clinging on hoping it somehow improves... if this was any other show id have given up by now

I find myself "watching" this and losing interest to the point where im surfing the web & reading emails on my phone while its on... not a good sign... and i really really really wanted to like this

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

IDK why but I really enjoyed this one, even though it was mostly just as terrible as the first ep. On one hand I was straight up laughing at it, but there were also flashes of real greatness here and there that made me hope that it might just somehow come together into something not retarded (it wont). I really enjoyed the auxillary characters too, the mayor/slow guy from Luck and Velcoro's partner/Dan Doughrety especially. They're cartoonishly written but the actors playing them are great and they're pitching the tone in a way that acknowledges the rediculousness of the show. The leads have to play it painfully straight and the writing/direction is completely deaf to the actors strenghs and weaknesses, so everything with them is just a mess.

The end scene was dope as shit but of course they're gonna undermine what will likely be the only clever surprise they'll manage this season by bringing him right back, even though it makes no sense for him to survive in a narrative sense.

I might be giving somebody too much credit but the bird mask seems like a stone cold Judex reference

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Had to be rubber bullets/bean bags he got shot with, if they have him survive an actual shotgun blast to the stomach that will be terrible

He they had actually killed him off there would be no reason to continue watching this show

alpha

Post by alpha »

Vaughn isn't that bad at all. He rarely does serious roles at all. So imo it's just a little different to see him do something different than the same role he's been playing for the last 15 years.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Vaughn isn't that bad, I actually like some of his scenes here a whole lot, but he can't project menace and that's already becoming a problem

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

He isn't and he was good in The Cell too, but he has done almost too much of the same for most of his career it's hard to separate the two.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

i feel like vaughn has been the most interesting part of the show thus far, save the opening monologue in episode 2. second episode was definitely better than the first but I agree that there are some real tone deaf decisions being made in terms of writing and casting. some cool visual shit though.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Philaflava wrote:He isn't and he was good in The Cell too, but he has done almost too much of the same for most of his career it's hard to separate the two.
Vaughn was pretty good in the Psycho remake as well. But I don't think he's doing anything special here.
I've enjoyed the first two episodes despite their flaws, willing to give it a few more episodes to see if it grows legs.

Truth. wrote:Had to be rubber bullets/bean bags he got shot with, if they have him survive an actual shotgun blast to the stomach that will be terrible

He they had actually killed him off there would be no reason to continue watching this show
Bean bags/rubber bullets are lethal in short ranges though, it would be pretty dumb if he survived one point blank. He almost has to be wearing a vest for shit to make any sense.